[1495] setting off alarms

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

darrin

Re: [1495] setting off alarms

Post by darrin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm

On a less serious note... as heartbreaking as it is to see cute Ririka so badly injured, I have to admit I would not say no to a little "Stop! I don't have good depth perception!" bit a la Turanga Leela.

And flip-flopping back to a less frivolous note, I am still insanely curious to find out the circumstances under which she lost her magical healing ability. Not likely to come up soon as Yuki is apparently about to get Very Busy, but I will continue to look forward to eventually finding out more in that direction. (Probably not just age, as Meimi seems to still be in fine form. Alternatively, by "can't do that anymore", could Ririka have been referring to "permission" as opposed to physical ability? Too many instances of "unauthorized healing" eventually resulting in Stability sanctions? A little Harry-Potter-style wand snapping?)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Whatever's in that syringe Ririka is using on herself in panels 2 and 3, I hope she's got enough of it. :cry:
Errr... she's not using it on herself. You can clearly see in panel 2 that the needle is pointed away from her, she's obviously giving a shot to someone else. The needle isn't even in panel 3, because she's moved on to preparing bandage tape (one handed) probably for the person she just gave the shot too.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Sackett wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 am
Errr... she's not using it on herself. You can clearly see in panel 2 that the needle is pointed away from her, she's obviously giving a shot to someone else. The needle isn't even in panel 3, because she's moved on to preparing bandage tape (one handed) probably for the person she just gave the shot too.
Hmm, coulda sworn I was seeing the needle extending past her right index knuckle in 3. Now it's looking more like stray lines.

EDIT:
@4'33" below: Yes, that became clearer to me earlier today than it had been when I first saw the strip yesterday. (I had it fixed in my head she was treating herself prior to attempting to treat others, the ol' "cute girl is actually a badass" standard MegaTokyo stuff. Which I still assume is pretty much what happened, we just didn't see it on-screen. ;))
Last edited by darrin on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm

In panel 3 there is something in front of her that I originally thought might be a leg (hoping it was not her leg that shot would not have been enough) but now I think it is an arm of someone she is attending to.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

It took me a minute to parse <3y4cu4t3!>. It that a thing I just don't know about, or a Fred original?

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Ningen wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm
It took me a minute to parse <3y4cu4t3!>. It that a thing I just don't know about, or a Fred original?
Pretty sure that's "3v4cu4t3!" or translated from leet "evacuate!"

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes, I get that, the question is : is it a reference to something else?

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

If it is a reference to something it's far too common to identify where. It's not like "evacuate" is an uncommon word.

I think it more likely that it's just that everyone's alarms are going off about a scary magical girl being in the area, so every background character is making comments along the lines of "we need to get out of here."

"Evacuate" seems like a natural line of dialogue in such a situation. My guess is that Fred decided to leet speak it because it's a single word that has four vowels, and looks good in leet speak. Plus it's the kind of word a leet speaker would use.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 am

Reminds me of Christopher Lloyd screaming "Get out! Get out of there!" in Star Trek III. :D

'Course if Kirk had Yuki on his team he wouldn't have had to blow up the Enterprise in the first place. :P

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, is that character from something else, or something our esteemed host created more out of thin air. In itself, not sure how much to read into somebody using 1ee7 to curse then suggest it's time to get out. Seems pretty original at least. Yet doesn't mean it's not based upon something in particular, even if that's something vague or little-known or very tenuously linked. Maybe somebody will come up with a reference of some sort.

Well. It will be interesting to see if Yuki has just accidentally started the deescalation of the entire continuing situation or not.

dparky

Post by dparky » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am

eomdal wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 pm
Stability is telling everyone to dust off. Gonna nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
So, we're going to grant them the Emperor's Redemption, in the cleansing form of nuclear fire? I guess it's still better than the ultimate sanction of Exterminatus.

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 pm

dparky wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am
So, we're going to grant them the Emperor's Redemption, in the cleansing form of nuclear fire? I guess it's still better than the ultimate sanction of Exterminatus.
<scratches head> Um, the last I knew, nuclear fireballs aren't exactly clean, and they do a pretty good job of exterminating living creatures. :?:
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

dparky

Post by dparky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 am

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 pm
dparky wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am
<scratches head> Um, the last I knew, nuclear fireballs aren't exactly clean, and they do a pretty good job of exterminating living creatures. :?:
The ultimate sanction of Exterminatus would be to render the planet completely uninhabitable or destroy it outright. Nuclear fire, and the fallout, will eventually fade. Of course, I doubt the Imperium's Inquisition cares about such trivial matters in the face of such extreme Chaos heresy.

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:28 am

Commander: "Stand down, it's just a little girl..."

Long-serving grunt: "A what? Oh my God! Run for your lives!!"
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:22 am

Sackett wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
... everyone's alarms are going off about a scary magical girl being in the area...
I thought it was more a response to having been "stolen" away to triage. They're not reacting to anything specific, but to the equivalent of a strange disturbance in the Force.

EDIT: and... proved wrong in the next strip. Ho hum.
Last edited by Ningen on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 pm

mistersaxon wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:28 am
Commander: "Stand down, it's just a little girl..."

Long-serving grunt: "A what? Oh my God! Run for your lives!!"
She's gonna want to be friends! :o