Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: [1492] Wellness Check

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 am

Ive been called a square before........ :roll:

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 am

I referring to the tesseract travel concept in A Wrinkle In Time.
Last edited by Sackett on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

iffy

Post by iffy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 am

Moving beyond straight lines is an interesting idea as well as potential solution/answer though. That the method is not speed per se (even when it just seems speed, it's only a limited simpler version) but more so travel by instantiating some hypercube tunnel. Akin to warp that wouldn't actually cause anything to exceed the speed of light because there's only the creation of multiple paths and traversing of a shorter path that is created by deforming reality, not by breaking it. A geometrical shortcut of sorts.

Which this shortcut can rather look and act like teleportation but by definition wouldn't be, as that encompasses moving matter or energy from point to point without traversing the physical space between them. Unless whatever Miho (and the disallowed yet performing such things anyway Piro) moved from bathhouse point to school point wasn't physical space, in which case it would fit the definition. Maybe even something similar to OAM entanglement swapping.

Are Yuki and when Miho is being MG-ish not so much moving fast as using some sort of advanced magical hexahedron plus? With the gaps being like an octachoron or deca-5-tope, and with 1350 travel being more an icosa-10-tope. Some sort of scale like that between the methods. Which makes me wonder if perhaps when Miho talks about bad things as ever escalating degrees of ways to get out of a situation or continue a story, she's referring to some sort of entropy cost in general or to herself by using methods that require the tessellation of Euclidean space.

Which that also would make sense if Ping was really impacting all of this, had taken on some of Miho's abilities well enough to interfere with what Miho was doing, or even accidentally-on-purpose yoink both Miho and Piro to the school. Why wouldn't a high-capacity robot sophisticated enough to act and look to more than pass for human be able to also tap into whatever methods there are to do whatever it is that's being done in warping things to allow this travel, whatever it's called.

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 am

Or to put it in more plebeian language:

Instead of moving faster to travel quickly across large distances, why not just bend space so that the distance traveled becomes small? If the bending of space is only visible to the person traveling, then the relative perspective to an outside observer would be to see the person traveling moving too fast to visibly follow.

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 am

Might be the only way to explain yoinking pre-shrinking Zom-zom out from under the TPCD capture equipment, because speed by itself probably doesn't.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am

In other words, it's Magic!!! :mrgreen:

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Ray Kremer wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 am
Might be the only way to explain yoinking pre-shrinking Zom-zom out from under the TPCD capture equipment, because speed by itself probably doesn't.
Yup, that's the point I was making here (and, for that matter, here). Despite all the other arguments that could be made against Yuki "teleporting", I have yet to see any that stack up against that stark image in 1108.

(To be clear, I am talking here about vanilla teleportation, specifically magic as opposed to anything science/technology related. I am quite sure Fred doesn't care about tesseracts, let alone "icosa-10-topes", at least in the context of MegaTokyo.)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one