Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: [1554] the parts needed

Post by paarfi » Fri May 03, 2019 7:06 pm

nexxo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:20 pm
I would say that Ping is verbalising how Junko feels about herself: that she is somehow deficient and not deserving of love. And this elicits Junko's empathic response.
I don't think Ping is doing that deliberately. She's talking about her own problems. But I think you are right that there is a nice parallel there, and that helps Junko understand where she's coming from.

Also, welcome to the forum. :D
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:48 pm
Girl emotions are dumb...
I'm with you there, TWB, they sure are.

Almost as dumb as boy emotions. :lol:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 pm

darrin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 pm

What is dumb about happy, angry and indifferent? :|

darrin

Post by darrin » Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 pm
Mm, the same thing as is dumb when a girl is happy, angry, or indifferent? I guess? :?

Are you saying girls are never happy, angry, or indifferent? Or are you saying boys are less dumb than girls when happy, angry, or indifferent?

Maybe I am confused about where this particular line of inquiry was intended to go. For me the money shot of the past few strips has been Ping looking at herself and asking "What is the point of all this?" Which is pretty much the MegaTokyo equivalent of V-Ger's questions as relayed by Spock: "Is this all I am? Is there nothing more?" Retreating from that into mundane quibbles about which particularly configured humans have which preferable operating states feels to me like missing the forest for the trees; there are bigger things at stake here.

Ashe's anger at the Old Man's attitude to Junko didn't distract her from developing at least some curiosity about Ping; if Ping is going to get any help against whatever plans Sony has for her and her kind, people will need to understand her, and to understand her they first need to be curious about her.

Megumi, less resilient to the distractions of the day perhaps, has at the moment pigeon-holed Ping as just another flaky teenager. But Megumi has also shown herself in the past to be quite kind to those she sees as in need of that kindness, and very quick to switch gears from being her usual snarky self to expressing "big sister"ly concern and caring. If Ping is going to get any help against whatever plans Sony has for her and her kind, people will need to care about her as more than just a piece of Sony property. Megumi might not be there yet but I bet it will not take long for her to switch gears this time around either, given the right triggers.

Whether one calls emotions like curiosity and caring "girl" emotions or not, I can't agree to call them dumb, again given what I believe to be at stake here.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 am

The reactions that one may exhibit to stimuli may well say nothing at all about the stimulus and be a reflection of the readers own internal narrative.

Admitting to a severely limited range of emotional responses is interesting, presuming that those emotions are male typical is somewhat alarming.

In conclusion, please keep all extremities inside the vehicle, enjoy the ride and please to not feed the bears

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Does anyone else think that Ping looks really creepy in panel 7?
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
Does anyone else think that Ping looks really creepy in panel 7?
Yes, her eyes. You can see the whole iris which is not normal unless you are purposely opening your eyes wide and while she has highlights in her eyes she has no pupils. And a creepy smile.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Ubu

Post by Ubu » Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 pm
darrin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 pm

You forgot "hungry."

If you think that's not an emotion, the friends I still have might disagree with you. :ninja:

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sun May 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Ubu wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 am
You forgot "hungry."

If you think that's not an emotion, the friends I still have might disagree with you. :ninja:
Hungry is a need to be attended too... not an emotion in and of itself.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Mon May 06, 2019 5:24 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Ubu wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 am
You forgot "hungry."

Hungry is a need to be attended too... not an emotion in and of itself.
Do werebears get hangry?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 am

Please keep the conversation relevant to the topic and not about the attention seeking antics of some readers

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

Oooh. Sounds angry to me.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 am
Please keep the conversation relevant to the topic and not about the attention seeking antics of some readers
To paraphrase Miho, the tongue-in-cheek tone of my questions may have been deliberate, but my sincerity in asking them was unfeigned.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am
Oooh. Sounds angry to me.
SpoilerShow
Fred's not asked me to stop scaring people yet so I can't be angry

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Ping has an amazing ability to change her body, so even if she is a "non-H" model, she may be able to manifest everything needed for physical love, if she is indeed missing some. If the missing parts are emotional, she has already exceeded her creator's design specs in that area. So; not an insurmountable problem, IMHO.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 pm

garapagosu wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:24 am
Do werebears get hangry?
For sure. But to be fair, most people are capable of being hangry. Not attending to the hungry need can generate anger, or have an influence on becoming angry. Perhaps Junko's emotional state in the comic is due in part to not having a proper meal before setting off on her wild ride. Being hungry usually does not effect my emotions too much since I have deprived myself of sustenance in the pursuit of sport during my younger years. It is different for some folks that miss meals. Missing meals can have a widely varied effect, maybe Junko needs to take better care of herself in that regard.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 am

Hangry is perhaps like a teenager in the morning who has had no breakfast yet and has just been told they will have YouTube limited until they pass exams?

source : I have one...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

mostlyharmless wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm
Ping has an amazing ability to change her body, so even if she is a "non-H" model, she may be able to manifest everything needed for physical love, if she is indeed missing some. If the missing parts are emotional, she has already exceeded her creator's design specs in that area. So; not an insurmountable problem, IMHO.
I believe that the fact that she recognizes that she's lacking something indicates that she's exceeded her design parameters

Dragonix

Post by Dragonix » Tue May 07, 2019 9:28 am

Someone has made my sweet, little Ping cry. She seems so broken right now. This is unforgivable! 😡

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm

mostlyharmless wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm
More than likely all of the hardware is there and as Cmdr Data would say it is fully functional. She either can't access or does not have the software to run those components.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 pm
Perhaps Junko's emotional state in the comic is due in part to not having a proper meal before setting off on her wild ride.
We don't yet know the details of why she is as upset as she is. Assuming, despite that lack of evidence, that her emotions are just "dumb" or that she's "cranky" because she hasn't had enough to eat today is doing a disservice to her as a character imo.

There is still a wide spectrum of possibilities in play as to what has gone on between the Old Man and Junko. At what be called the more "conservative" end of that spectrum, I for one have been and am still currently assuming he was at least up-front with her about wanting to meet with her for "personality profile" research on Sony's behalf. (The circumstantial evidence for this would be Sony being a "huge corporation with gobs of liquid cash" as Steve Dallas would have put it, and thus the legal team to make Sony's position unimpeachable.) My explanation for her current emotional state would be umbrage if not a sense of betrayal regarding the actual outcome of said research, namely Ping herself and her fate. (Women especially young women being treated as objects is bad enough -- Junko may like the pay but she doesn't seem too thrilled about who and how she has to get it from. Girls that by many folks' definition would be actual objects, now that would lead to whole different levels of squick.)

The strongest counterargument to that is that Junko's reaction here seems much more personally oriented than external, and Ashe's dialogue towards Junko has been very clearly Junko-oriented rather than Ping-oriented. This is probably more consistent with arguments at the opposite side of the spectrum, most strongly voiced by paarfi and others. The assumption there is that the Old Man has not informed Junko of anything close to the his motivation for meeting with her; she has seen him as someone generally interested in her as a person, and as someone "intelligent" and "mature" enough to earn her respect in return. In this case of course the betrayal would be blatant and would cut deep down to the bone.

At no point on the spectrum between these extremes do I see room for dismissing Junko's emotions as "dumb" or "hunger-based".
GouryG wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm
More than likely all of the hardware is there ... She either can't access or does not have the software to run those components.
Yes and yes.

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 am

Pings hair looks like it's changing color, getting lighter, in real time, right in front of the fox girls. So the whole they don't notice she's a robot, or wouldn't believe it if they were told stuff may be over. It's cute in the comic. It would be dumbfounding in person.

As for missing parts.

After grandma had described sex to her in detail enough to embarrass Megumi severely in comic 1553, Ping says, in comic 1554, that she doesn't know if she could do any of that. "Not without.. love." She didn't mention a valid credit card number and time to wait for the right parts to come mail order from SONY. Or to deal with convincing a fatally embarrassed Piro to help her install them.

DS

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm
We don't yet know the details of why she is as upset as she is... At no point on the spectrum between these extremes do I see room for dismissing Junko's emotions as "dumb" or "hunger-based".
I think it is quite likely that Junko is upset because Ping is messing with her "job." However she has more than lost her temper to the point of being hysterical. Junko has been shown to have a bad temper in the past, but she has not lost control to this degree so something else might be effecting her, like being hungry.

DS might be right about Ping switching game modes in this comic, but I thought she was stuck in game mode flux this whole chapter.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu May 09, 2019 12:45 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 pm
I think it is quite likely that Junko is upset because Ping is messing with her "job."
I can't imagine that being the case; "stay on your side of the street, ho" is nowhere near the dynamic that's been established so far between them. Upset at Ping for risking her own safety in a misguided attempt to protect Junko, sure. (Not that Ping was in actual danger from the Old Man of course, but she was heading off Junko in order to "offer" herself to a complete stranger; Junko would be quite justified in seeing that as a bad idea objectively, independent of her own connection to the Old Man.) But if Junko's meeting with the Old Man was just for the "job" then on the contrary she'd have nothing to worry about from Ping of all people. (Junko's had ample exposure to Ping's naivete already.)
However she has more than lost her temper to the point of being hysterical.
The word "hysterical" by its very nature, and certainly given its origins, is intrinsically dismissive; it is essentially equivalent to calling someone "inappropriately emotional." Again, given that we don't yet know the details of what Junko thought was going on between her and the Old Man relative to what he thought was going on, we aren't yet justified in trying to gauge the appropriateness of her emotions here. Starting off by labeling her state as "hysterical" (let alone dismissing it as due to something like "hunger" completely unrelated to the events as we've seen them develop so far) is taking as an assumption the thing that's being argued.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 am

Honestly, how can anyone possibly believe that Fred has written a scene where handing Junko a Snickers bar can resolve the tension?