Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Teddy-Werebear

Re: [1486] - Not Working

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:40 am

She done shifted modes son!

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Definitely a mode change, Teddy. Different eyes, different hair, different bust size (to quote Constanza, "there was shrinkage").

The last time we saw them, Junko was getting dragged off by Ping searching for faux-Miho Yuki. It appears they were unsuccessful and a distraught Ping went on a bender with Junko in tow, running across her dad in the process who cleaned her out while she was distracted. I'm not sure if Junko or Ping remember enough of the night to figure out how they got home, but Ping's arm clinging on to Junko seems to indicate Ping has successfully switched users and is in the process of modifying herself to match her new user's preferences of party girl wingman. I wonder if her hair is still pink. It looks darker now to me.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Gods, I so love that first panel. I've always felt for Junko. Ping is a surprisingly good fit for her. And visa versa.

Of course, I've always been a fan of H-Yuri mode Ping theories, so... Yeah.

The teddy bear reminds me of another girl with family issues.

Something tells me the very unruly state of their hair is reflective of far more than just bed head on a humid morning, but an external sign of their inner state of being. Thinking about it, I'm realizing that Ping and Junko have a lot more in common than one might initially realize. Both seem to be mere objects of convenience for the people who (storywise) should be the most important in their lives. Junko's father uses her, her mother is... shallow. Ping's "user" neglects and ignores her, her previous user abandoned her. It's easy to see the two becoming a pair, the dark, brooding girl who wears armor to hide her vulnerability and the genki girl whose energy is really just flight from her inner despair. I suspect they would be good for one another.

And on a really serious, dark parallel, I happen to recall a series where crafted people were slowly breaking down and losing vital functions over time. It did not end well. (DAMMIT FRED.)
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

iffy

Post by iffy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:59 pm

All sorts of interesting things seem like they might have happened to these two since The Horde fell apart (was torn asunder through subterfuge) yesterday. At the time, Junko got some more insight, understanding and empathy into Miho and what she seems to be, Ping was still obsessing but less frenetically. Then the night goes by, they sleep in, and Ping appears to be getting a bit glitchy again. Or, whatever Miho was hinting at about Ping, has changed her even farther from the EDS unit we first met. After all, Ping is supposed to be an Analogue-mimic of sorts, and also able to amalgamate many characters into something unique. A sort of backwards Analogue from the way things have been explained so far. Might be a bad thing especially as Kotone is going through an existential crisis. To say nothing of the way Kimiko has appeared to be behaving, but at least she's not cybernetic.

Well we know this family is a bit dysfunctional, and the blame seem to lie mostly with Mr. and Mrs. Ibara. Sure it isn't good when parents trick or steal funds from you, but Ping's crazy hair just might be pointing to something far more dire, far-reaching, and long-term. Be that if Ping has gathered all sorts of the real thing power or is in the process of cognitively falling apart, say. Like when she was glitching and Largo prodded her to anger or she started down the bad translations and crying path.

Who knows what might have happened to poor Ping when Ed got his claws into her head, or the toll it's taken on her during this entire insanity with The Horde / Miho.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm

By the way. I seem to have missed Ping getting rid of Largo’s rather extensive earblade extensions. Can anyone quote a comic number for that detail?

=?
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm
By the way. I seem to have missed Ping getting rid of Largo’s rather extensive earblade extensions. Can anyone quote a comic number for that detail?

=?
Junko took them off. [1414]
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Tangent

Post by Tangent » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Imagine Ping's grief when she finds out "Miho" died in front of a bunch of witnesses? After declaring her love for Piro?

How delightful. :)

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Sareth mentioned external factors. Another factor comes to mind: Miho. What if Miho's situation is affecting more than just her?
I think that Fred chose to have the scene break here for a reason. Megatokyo is basically one huge anime/gaming/fantasy trope fest. Miho broke her trope and now the MT universe is starting to unravel, starting with Ping. She has a deep connection to Miho thanks to the image dump, and that connection did not have a smooth break (the catalyst here being Junko). This, on top of the fact that Ping's role in this world is to be a sort of universal trope analogue - complete with ability to change her appearance accordingly - could make her sensitive to disruptions in these things. Yuki and her mom could sense something very sad when Miho cacked it, Ping could be having a troupe module crash.
Last edited by eomdal on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Well, at least Ibara didn't steal his daughter's ID, and get a credit card in her name.... It'll be interesting to see how Ping's latest iteration comes about.....

Who's next? Largo and Erika? Foxgals in the hospital room?

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm

paarfi wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm
BetaCygnus wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm
… Largo’s rather extensive earblade extensions …

=?
Junko took them off. [1414]
Thanks paarfi. =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Zandra

Post by Zandra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Uh oh..could Ping be come the new replacement for miho and she is starting to reflect the archetype?
I WAS the Owner of Wolfboys 800th post but SOMEBODY had to go and get a new Forum lol!

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Zandra wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 pm
Uh oh..could Ping be come the new replacement for miho and she is starting to reflect the archetype?
Miho is Irish, so Ping's new hair color is red. :D

Tangent

Post by Tangent » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Would make more sense for it to be black as night. Raven hair is common for the Irish.

Greymom

Post by Greymom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:16 am

She could be a Róisín Dubh (a Black Rose) or a Ginger, both would fit. The "original" girl who was a pirate queen and apparently became Miho seemed to be depicted as having light hair, but Miho as we have seen her has had dark hair (if she did not dye it in goth style). : )

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Maybe we'll get a "Ping, why is your hair_____, and what the hell's up with your eyes?" statement from Junko in the next comic.......

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am

I'm thinking that Ping's chest is somewhat larger this morning as well....

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:21 am

Liminaut wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:56 pm
And yes, it looks like her eyes are different colors (hererochromia). Anybody recognize a charter she might be based on?
Picture of Ping with heterodhromia: https://www.megagear.com/PingOSFineArtPrint_p/5020.htm