Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Re: [1544]-"Too Much Information"

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Okashinamaru wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 am
Do you even read MegaTokyo bro?
6 years now. Long enough to get annoyed about details like this.
Vis has been reading the comic since well before I started, I do believe, and I've been reading the comic since 2004 or so. Your point?
Okashinamaru wrote:
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm
1) I think Kimiko sees Piro as much more than a boy-toy. Does she want him for herself? Maybe, but the last we knew, she was trying (as I think Cidjen has noted) to help him sort out his feelings for Miho.
Yeah I'm sure she'll help him "sort out his feelings".
And she just might. I have my reasons for cynicism -- my heart got trashed over thirty years ago, and I understand too well the truth of the quote from C.S. Lewis below. But I like to think I'm wiser now than I was in 1987 and '88 when I locked my heart away. Again, your point is ....?
Okashinamaru wrote:
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
2) I think it can fairly be said that up until the last week or so (in Megatokyo time) that Miho was pretty self-centered, believing that (except for a few people who knew her secret) people in general saw her as merely a toy to use for their own purposes. Recent events have proven to her that there are people (chief among them, Piro) who see her as more than a "story", who see her as someone worthy of love in her own right. Is she going to have difficulty in relating properly to those people, occasionally making mistakes and mis-steps? Of course she will -- she's been in a prison of sorts for over a century (if we're to believe her back-story), and freedom is a hard thing to get used to.
I guess Piro's feelings never occurred to you, but they wouldn't, would they?
A sneer, based on precisely what, pray tell?
Okashinamaru wrote:
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
There's a certain comfort in avoiding entanglements, in seeking to make one's heart unbreakable, the better to avoid having your heart broken yet again by other people, or by life generally. Give Miho some credit for turning away from that road, dude.
That's way oversimplified, and you honestly have no idea.
After 57 years of walking around on the face of this tired old world, I think I have some ideas. Wrong ones, maybe, but I am not utterly bereft of them.
Okashinamaru wrote:
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
3) As for Ping ......
That sounds nice on paper anyway. In reality people die over things like that.
Probably, alas. Which is why Godwin brings it up -- he's a psychologist, and he at least tries to help people.....
Okashinamaru wrote:
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
And where's Iffy when you need him, anyway?
and there I thought you were an iffy smurf. :?
...... while you are full of piss and vinegar. :roll:
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Anybody else miss l33t d00d? It has been how many years now? I hope he did not run out of his meds...

Okashinamaru

Post by Okashinamaru » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm
And she just might. I have my reasons for cynicism -- my heart got trashed over thirty years ago, and I understand too well the truth of the quote from C.S. Lewis below. But I like to think I'm wiser now than I was in 1987 and '88 when I locked my heart away. Again, your point is ....?
my cynicism > your cynicism. That'd be a rather long story though.
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
A sneer, based on precisely what, pray tell?
Everyone always brings up what Miho wants or what Kimiko wants or how they feel or what Piro did for them. What exactly did they ever do for Piro? Nobody even bothers to consider the consequences to him when any given girl does something, whether it's with him or otherwise. You think getting jumped by Kimiko would just be all rainbows and butterflies? Or if he were to actually try to deal with Miho? Take your pick I guarantee a disaster.

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
After 57 years of walking around on the face of this tired old world, I think I have some ideas. Wrong ones, maybe, but I am not utterly bereft of them.
Perhaps, but age does not equal experience and experience does not equal wisdom.

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Probably, alas. Which is why Godwin brings it up -- he's a psychologist, and he at least tries to help people.....
I happen to know a thing or two (or twenty) about psychology. Of course trying to help people is great, at least until they turn around and stab you in the back and leave you to die. I can't say that I would rate Godwin highly in any case. There's psychology that is very good in practical technique, there's psychology that is very good in theory and for understanding human nature, there's psychology that's good for both and there's psychology that's not really good for anything. I daresay Godwin probably falls into the last category.
Fujii Yakumo wrote:
...... while you are full of piss and vinegar. :roll:
When in hell, play devil's advocate. Or something like that anyway.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 pm
AFAIK the only mechanism available to Miho to "change" the story is to place herself in a situation where she'll be killed. Her death is still equally tragic so there is no real change.
That's pretty much what I thought too. In fact having slept on it I'm even more confused by the "but she kept choosing to die" part of what I was responding to.

Of course Miho dies. Everybody dies, as the saying goes. That's not at all the important part of her story, it's that she keeps getting brought back. I see no evidence at all that she chooses let alone enjoys the process, and am still unconvinced by claims that she chose to begin the process so many years ago.

Consider the most recent cycle we've seen. The sadness and resignation in her face in 1123 were obvious from the first; but now in retrospect, it seems plausible to interpret her mood (including a lot of what she was saying to the others in preceding strips, up till her refusal of Erika's dinner invitation) as one of hope -- hope that she doesn't have to come back this time. "Maybe a killball blast will be enough this time, never tried that before. :("

When Yuki finds her in the hospital, Miho isn't her usual inscrutable or even mildly snarky self -- she is downright nasty to Yuki, nastier than we've ever seen her, arguably much nastier than she could reasonably expect to be to poor little Yuki. Even taking into account issues like invasion of privacy or what have you, that would deserve a response along the lines of "You're just a dumb kid, you don't know what's going on, so on your bike please." But the things she says about Yuki and eventually Yutaka are downright vicious. But they do make sense if we consider them from the point of view of someone who didn't want to be here in the first place, didn't want to come back, hoped against hope they wouldn't be back this time, someone who just wants to be left alone for as long as possible before the Story pulls her back into itself. Someone who becomes emotionally unhinged at the fear that Yuki will physically drag her back into the Story before Miho is ready... and, ta da, that's exactly what Yuki does.

Miho doesn't want, and I claim never wanted, any of this to happen. But it's happened so many times she knows how it's going to go down; hence the resignation mixed with frustration, occasionally rising to exacerbated snark (her conversation with Piro around 1206-1207 ish), more rarely boiling over into outraged nastiness (like with Yuki in the hospital; possibly also with Largo in the Cave of Evil when he kept calling her "undead").

Yes she expresses guilt over Piro's "death" when telling Kimiko the tale of the sickly Irish girl and the pirates. That's because she thinks she should have seen it coming, or did see it coming; she let herself get too close to him, and let him get close to her again, and "people who love her die in her story." (Thinking she''d gotten Piro killed was a guilty as we've ever seen her in the comic. If she had chosen this cycle of deaths and reincarnations in some form, this would have been the perfect time to confess that to Kimiko as well.)
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm
Anybody else miss l33t d00d? It has been how many years now? I hope he did not run out of his meds...
I confess I am vastly less interested in his antics than in (short term) the interaction between Ashe and the Old Man (I am still holding out on him being Ping's "father" despite all the cries of "child prostitution!" being bandied about 8-)), or (long term) the further development of Yuki + Yutaka's relationship. But if Fred has something else interesting for him to do I certainly won't complain (the last time we saw him was plot-related, furthering the student-teacher relationship between Junko and Largo, so he's clearly not just the comic relief he was on the plane to Japan.)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am
I confess I am vastly less interested in his antics than in (short term) the interaction between Ashe and the Old Man (I am still holding out on him being Ping's "father" despite all the cries of "child prostitution!" being bandied about 8-)), or (long term) the further development of Yuki + Yutaka's relationship. But if Fred has something else interesting for him to do I certainly won't complain (the last time we saw him was plot-related, furthering the student-teacher relationship between Junko and Largo, so he's clearly not just the comic relief he was on the plane to Japan.)
I am pretty sure old guy is a creeper and does not deserve the benefit of your doubt, D. Fred could resurrect the Dead Piro Day with a full panel of him giving us a thumbs up without derailing the plots that are baking in his far flung ovens.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am
I am pretty sure old guy is a creeper and does not deserve the benefit of your doubt, D.
Yeah, the few who initially gave me a grudging "hmm, well, maybe" have since withdrawn.

I am a bandwagon of one, I do not deny it. Yet I shall hold on, till my breath fades and my sight fails.

Or, y'know, until 1545 goes up. :D

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm
Or, y'know, until 1545 goes up. :D
Er, 1546. :oops:

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 am

gee, I wonder what kind of crazy conversations are happenin' in Story Discussion cuz of this one

<opens door>

<sees forum>

<closes door>

ya.. back to lurkin' methinks