[1537] an answer

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1537] an answer

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:16 am

Fred posted the comic to Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Zagaroth

Re: [1537] an answer

Post by Zagaroth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 am

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing in (I'm supporting by buying stuff. Might add patreon later :) )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am

Junpei to the rescue. Yay!

I suppose that when Ninjagram said "No one else would be [ok with Junpei x Mugi]" [1533], she had Junpei's mom and dad in mind. It also seems that she tried to keep Yaku from calling Junpei as much to keep this family fight from erupting again as to keep Junpei from taking away her leverage over Yaku's great-grandma.

Junpei's mom and dad also use ninja-talk. I imagine that's a sign of more "traditional" ninja, who might be more opposed to Junpei x Mugi and similar things. I could see this as the reason Junpei had the apartment next to Tsubasa [70] and didn't seem to really use his room at ninja compound. It might also explain Junpei's determination to learn the "way of l33t" [639] -- rebelling against a very traditionalist upbringing.

I think this also explains some of why Junpei was more worried about grandma when he brought Miho to his room at ninja compound [1471]. He was already actively disregarding his mom's opinion, but he still cares what grandma thinks.

Poor Junpei though. He's a nice guy, and he deserves better from his parents.

Olba

Post by Olba » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am

paarfi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am
Junpei's mom and dad also use ninja-talk.
Do note that Junpei's father switches to regular speech when angry. Now, where have we seen that before?

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:04 am

Olba wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am
Do note that Junpei's father switches to regular speech when angry. Now, where have we seen that before?
Dunno. Where HAVE we seen that before?

Olba

Post by Olba » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

paarfi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:04 am
Olba wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am
Dunno. Where HAVE we seen that before?
Happened with Megumi's accent. Maybe this is a hint? Could it be that the "ninjaspeak" is just a coverup?

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 am

I like the sound effect for Miho grabbing Yaku's tail... "Gluff"
I guess that rebellious streak in Junpei also explains his streaked hair color.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Olba wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am
Happened with Megumi's accent. Maybe this is a hint? Could it be that the "ninjaspeak" is just a coverup?
Except with Megumi it was the other way around; her "Sawatariisms" only popped out when she was under duress...
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

rfrrfrrfr

Post by rfrrfrrfr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:51 pm

There is one and only one reaction to this comic.

WOW!!!!!

Great job Fred you continue to amaze and entertain me after all these years.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Oi yoi yoi, that's how you make an entrance! Apparently, Ma and Pa Ninja has had issues with Junpei before. Yup, that's a bridge I smell burnin'..... :evil:

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Great work! =)

GLUFF.

Nice detail. =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:22 pm

I love the bodies flying when he lands. Those poor Ninja red-shirts are having a rough day, first the Miho storm, and now this. So that is Ninja dad? Who is the other person holding up Ninja Mom? Why is Miho grabbing her butt? tail? in the last panel?

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm

1337 N1nj4 is to leet for your clan business, and attire.
Btw, is Junpei stronger than most ninja? By the way he sent them flying I would assume so. +1 1337 points.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Roborat wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:22 pm
I love the bodies flying when he lands. Those poor Ninja red-shirts are having a rough day, first the Miho storm, and now this. So that is Ninja dad? Who is the other person holding up Ninja Mom? Why is Miho grabbing her butt? tail? in the last panel?
That's ninjagram, nijadad and nijamom. Miho may be trying to comfort Yaku (she can't reach her shoulder or back), or maybe she can power up from a little touch of tail.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Tiger wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm
Btw, is Junpei stronger than most ninja? By the way he sent them flying I would assume so. +1 1337 points.
Junpei is a "high level ninja", per Meimi [684].
And Junpei is "really fast", per his grandma. [1473].
So I'd say Yes.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm

In the blink of an eye, Junpei landed, tossed all of the ninjas, and grabbed the girls. :o
So far, only two people have proven (or admitted) that they are faster than Junpei; Miho and ninjagrams. Well, ninjagrams is in a world of hurt so I doubt she would even be able to catch him were he to take off now.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Knowing how the grandparent thing goes I'm sure that Ninja Grrl has been spoiling Junpei ever since he was a wee tad of a ninja.

Grandmother: Oh let him move out of the compound! Why when I was his age I..

Junpei's mom: Mother! Stop! We don't need to be discussing...that....

Junpei: What discuss?

Junpei's dad: Umm, never mind! Your grandmother has been in some...situations...

Grandmother: *EVIL GRIN* yeah...situations....

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:53 pm
Knowing how the grandparent thing goes I'm sure that Ninja Grrl has been spoiling Junpei ever since he was a wee tad of a ninja.

Junpei's dad: Umm, never mind! Your grandmother has been in some...situations...

Shouldn't that be *INVISIBLE EVIL GRIN* ;)

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm

maldrul wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Invisigoth wrote:

Naw. The *EVIL GRIN* would remain visible as the rest of her disappeared. =^_^=

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Roborat wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Teleports traditionally require touch contact. Being held by someone who is also holding the person you want to take with you might not be good enough. ^_^

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:38 pm

A few years ago, on my niece's birthday, my mother got a phone call at 10 AM complaining how much trouble my niece was being with the present I had picked out for her.

To my mind, this is the best thing I ever did. Children should never do exactly what their parents want, and if they get birthday presents that encourage traits their parents haven't dealt with then hilarity may ensue. As is the case with Junpei in this strip.

As for my niece, she will conquer you all in good time. Please take a ticket and wait your turn.
Last edited by MoneyMan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Wonder where he'll take them. Junpei's apartment in the city that paarfi mentions above is no doubt known to the other ninja, and if it wasn't under close watch prior to all this kerfluffle (not just the current strip, but his refusal to pick up the contract on Miho), it certainly is now. In my opinion similar remarks apply to the Cave of Evil (even if any of it had been rebuilt yet?) and any other Kenji/Mugi related in-town hideouts, but that's more of a hunch than anything I think I could actually support.

The Foxhole... Would definitely fit the ol' "that's the last thing the enemy would expect" trope (since they had just tried to drag Miho there a couple of strips ago). As funny as that might be, and as much as we'd all like to see the long-implied Miho-Kimiko-Piro hijinks, it would seem to me a bit repetitive to go back there right now. The vibe I've been getting is that that's exactly the part of her story Miho's trying to break away from. Wherever you might stand on the "Miho loves Piro / does not / does so poopy head / your father smelt of elderberries" etc debate, I think it would be pretty hard to deny that Miho's decision to put all that on hold to try to help Yakugashi was a quite deliberate one.

That leaves the Sawatari shrine we saw in those "special" comics (1490-1491)? Assuming Yakugashi is willing to tell Junpei where it is and assuming Junpei is fast enough they won't be followed. Seems like a stretch but possibly less so than the others. (Don't get me wrong, it's more of a 40-20-20-20 thing (where the last 20% is "something Fred does I was too dumb to even consider as usual :lol:"), not at all a 95% "oh yeah that makes sense" one.)

Not that I expect to find out immediately; Junpei "turning his back" (ha ha) on his fellow ninja (including parents and grandmother) smells a bit like a scene change, but I may be biased by my eagerness to see how the Old Man + Ashe conversation is going. :D

EDIT:
@paarfi below: I would tend to count the hospital among "city locations that are likely to be under ninja observation" (her last known in-city location). I think it depends on how strongly her current health situation weighs against the original goal of remaining hidden from the fanboy horde trying to control her story and the ninja trying to carry out her termination order. Junpei might not get an initially warm welcome but Yakugashi's word (and description of his rescuing her, corroborated by Miho assuming she doesn't lose consciousness...) ought to help there.

Another odd thought... I'm suddenly reminded of Miho's tale to Kimiko, culminating in the ominous "people who love [me] die in [my] story." If that's not literal romantic love, and unpacks to "people who care enough about me to try to help despite great personal risk," then Junpei might be in more danger than just displeasing his parents. (Presumably not all the pirates on the ship were "in love" with her romantically, but they were all forced "with nimble feet to dance upon the air.")
Last edited by darrin on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Well, considering the Ninjagram's contract on Yaku's greatgrandma, I'm not sure Junpei would get a warm welcome at the Sawatari shrine. I'd think Junpei would be inclined to take Yaku back to Mugi, since he wasn't really supposed to take her away in the first place, but Yaku might have different ideas. I think all three of them would realize that taking Miho back to the hospital that she just trashed might not be the best idea, but they might also all be concerned about Miho's health again, so maybe the hospital is the right place. Miho may still want to talk to Piro, so the Foxhole is a possibility there, though she'd have to talk Junpei and Yaku into it. She's likely not recovered enough to go anywhere herself yet. I wonder if Yuki finally found the right kind of doctor for Ririka, and if s/he might be needed to check up on Miho somehow.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 pm

He could also take them back to Megagamers apartment...

That would be unexpected by at least the horde, and away from the smashed hospital, and place that Yaku wasn't in before, so the potential author can experience something new (and listen to a story of how Kimi caused my head to stop right here).

Great page Fred, thank you!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm
maldrul wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Invisigoth wrote:

Naw. The *EVIL GRIN* would remain visible as the rest of her disappeared. =^_^=
Ah. Cheshire Ninjas.