One WIP Twitch thread to rule them all [SPOILERS]

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

cidjen

Re: One WIP Twitch thread to rule them all [SPOILERS]

Post by cidjen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 pm

SpoilerShow
... and all this is super easy to find out if the hecklers were to actually get on Twitch ...
This is why having this thread is also important right?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:23 am
cidjen wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:08 am
..... Fred revealed that his school bus driving season is over .....
Good Lord! No wonder he's been slow in posting comics. Even if his total number of hours working at real jobs (as opposed to Megatokyo) is a reasonable number, the bus-driving has to wear him out -- the little ones will wear you out physically ...
This indeed was a big problem. The actual work hours took Fred away from MT stuff, and the split of the morning and afternoon runs (as well as meetings and other special runs) broke up his schedule and made it harder to get stretches of drawing and other things in. He seemed to genuinely like most of the kids. But dealing with the kids who were being bullies, being destructive, misbehaving, or even just throwing up on the bus, really seemed to really take a toll on Fred. He takes the responsibility very seriously, but he dwells on these things for days or weeks at a time. He had one incident, which I won't go into detail on, that had him worked up for weeks and he almost quit over. And all that Piro emo-ing made him angry and frustrated with everything, and that made it harder to get anything else done. From listening to his stories, I think he's a pretty good school bus driver, but it is probably not a good job for him. He was very happy when the last day of school came. I don't know if he'll do it again next school year, but I think a different part-time job that doesn't take such an emotional toll on him might be better.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:23 pm

... and, we should probably start behaving accordingly 'cause some of the school kids actually confronted him 'bout his day job being Megatokyo, and iiuc, he admitted?

I mean someone call the horde please... A New Story Is Popping Up!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Concerned_user

Post by Concerned_user » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:29 pm

When this part time job started the patreon should have been updated to say in spite of 2000 dollar income level saying I will give in return 4 pages of a comic per month, this will most likely not happen due to my other job.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 pm

"Tom! Late again!"

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?"

"You! Yes, you behind the grandstands! Stand still, would ya!?"
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 am

Picture of the part-time school bus driver.
https://twitter.com/fredrin/status/1139 ... 81344?s=19

Last day of school yesterday, Not too many parents can get this sort of last day of school photo :) I drove a school bus this year and while a rewarding part time job, i'm happy to have the summer off now to focus on other stuff like being a grumpy emo artist full time again :) https://t.co/eXzUXbWdVJ

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:56 pm
The actual work hours took Fred away from MT stuff, and the split of the morning and afternoon runs (as well as meetings and other special runs) broke up his schedule and made it harder to get stretches of drawing and other things in.
I linked to this and this a few times on the twitch channel; I know it's geared toward programming specifically, but I never got shot down when I expressed my belief that largely similar remarks would apply to artistic or other creative work as well. Fred could be driving a bus full of Little Lords Fauntleroy with no stress whatsoever, and would still be faced with the issue of deadloss to the context switch: by the time he finally got back and sat down at the drawing board, everything he had managed to work out in his head toward solving whatever artistic issue he'd last been working on -- background, layout, facial expression, dialogue, whatever -- all of that would be gone entirely from his head, and he would effectively need to start from scratch.

I might not know anything about art, but as a programmer who works from home, I am very familiar with the huge cost that kind of context swtiching imposes on me. My wife assumes I am just being lazy or recalcitrant -- "you are just sitting at home anyway, or course you can just do these one or two or twenty things the moment I ask you", and I have never been able to convince anyone (outside the field :roll: ) that it's not like reading a novel, I can't just "pick up" at the bookmark where I left off; everything I had managed to finally work out after hours of trying to figure out the source of a bug or solution to my current issue is now gone entirely, and must be reconstructed once again from scratch. "Oh just write down what you'd figured out." Uh, no, that only gives me one more thing I will need to read in addition to the four or five interconnected source files and stack of sql stored procedures I was already "reading"; the problem has to be solved in my head before "just writing it down" does anything more than add to the problem. Fred of course can correct me if I'm wrong about this but I would bet good doughnuts that this characteristic is common to artistic work as well: until the comic is worked out in his head then anything that's been done on paper so far "between interruptions" is just so many scribbles.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Well, I missed this morning's Twitch feed, the thumbnail for this morning's feed sure is an eye opener. I guess that Fred will have to do like that scene from Austin Powers and have some strategically placed objects to keep things SFW.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:18 pm

And worth noting, we are now in cleanup stage, so assembly, dialogue and posting might happen soon (r).
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Dialogue time!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Concerned_user

Post by Concerned_user » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:22 am

$2,028 per month current patreon income:

I WILL replace TWO pencil and color illustrations I am currently doing per month with two Megatokyo comics to produce a minimum of FOUR Megatokyo comics per month

I count 1 page so far for June and the month is over in a few days.

(no asterisk on site saying may not complete more than 1 due to other jobs, life, responsibilities etc. It could say it, but doesn't.)

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 am

Concerned_user wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:22 am

Patreon complaints
And no one is forcing you to put your money in the tip jar either.

Back on topic regarding the free Twitch stream, it looks like a friendly conversation between girls and a reference to the new boyfriend. Largo may not get Japanese, but I get the feeling he's looking for a wooden stake in the room with that kind of face.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 am

[1559] is making progress. Looks like late stage of drawing of the frames.

Also, Looks like the twitch title got confused, it is still showing 1558.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:19 am

"Hey Largo! Filter this!!"

Largo: :shock:

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Scanning and cleanup in progress for 1559.

I honestly start to think, Ririka inviting Erika to visit Moeko, is a trap.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 am

Oh and, Fred was recently invited to a meeting with Japan's deputy consulate in Detroit.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am

cidjen wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 am
Oh and, Fred was recently invited to a meeting with Japan's deputy consulate in Detroit.
We're finally getting the KyoAni version of Megatokyo!!

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am

garapagosu wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am
I don't know enough about Japanese voice actors to have any opinion on who should be involved in that.

But I did say back in the 1533 thread that when the English version comes out, they absolutely need to have Kari Wahlgren do the voice of Miho.

I stand by that. 8-)

Concerned_user

Post by Concerned_user » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

garapagosu wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 am
Concerned_user wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:22 am

Patreon complaints
And no one is forcing you to put your money in the tip jar either.

Back on topic regarding the free Twitch stream, it looks like a friendly conversation between girls and a reference to the new boyfriend. Largo may not get Japanese, but I get the feeling he's looking for a wooden stake in the room with that kind of face.
Just address the fact I pointed out. Its not a tip jar when you say I will give you X content for X money. Its an agreement. Words matter. This is not difficult to understand.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Extracted SFS from last chat on Twitch

fredrin:the deputy consulate i met with today, her name was Yuki, so i drew Yuki in the book i gave her
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 am

darrin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am
garapagosu wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am
I don't know enough about Japanese voice actors to have any opinion on who should be involved in that.

But I did say back in the 1533 thread that when the English version comes out, they absolutely need to have Kari Wahlgren do the voice of Miho.

I stand by that. 8-)
Surely someone Irish? It'd be rude not to...
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am

mistersaxon wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 am
darrin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am
Surely someone Irish? It'd be rude not to...
Kari-dono => btdt

(More seriously, note that Miho was clearly not allowing any noticeable "Irish accent" to bleed through the English she spoke in early chapters, or Largo for one would certainly have called attention to the fact she didn't "sound like a Japanese girl".)

Olba

Post by Olba » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Concerned_user wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Just address the fact I pointed out. Its not a tip jar when you say I will give you X content for X money. Its an agreement. Words matter. This is not difficult to understand.
It is a tip jar though. It was set up because people kept asking Fred about Patreon and donating. The goals on the Patreon are quite obviously generic, and he hasn't touched them since he set them up. The descriptions are based on the prices of original artwork that he does: Usually those sell for 200-300$ a piece, and there's both a pencil and copic coloured version. Four artworks, 500$ earned per artwork comes to 2000$, so the numbers check out.

If you were to look at Fred's Twitch stream, you would notice that he hasn't done much standalone artwork recently. This is because the Patreon income has resulted in him not needing to push out artwork for sale to put food on the table. Selling the original art for the comic strips isn't a consistent income, and it runs the risk of Fred subconsciously compromising the story in order to do plotlines that produce artwork that sells.

Also, you're the only person who has complained about Fred's Patreon goals. No one has raised any complaints on Fred's Patreon page. Fact is, people aren't supporting Fred in exchange for a guaranteed amount of comic pages per month, they're doing it for other reasons. For example, I'm a 10$ patron myself, and I do it because it's a better deal on both ends than buying fine art prints due to shipping and importation costs, which easily double the costs of any given fine art print.

Honestly this is way more words and time than you've earned...

Concerned_user

Post by Concerned_user » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Olba wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Concerned_user wrote:
It is a tip jar though. It was set up because people kept asking Fred about Patreon and donating. The goals on the Patreon are quite obviously generic, and he hasn't touched them since he set them up. The descriptions are based on the prices of original artwork that he does: Usually those sell for 200-300$ a piece, and there's both a pencil and copic coloured version. Four artworks, 500$ earned per artwork comes to 2000$, so the numbers check out.

If you were to look at Fred's Twitch stream, you would notice that he hasn't done much standalone artwork recently. This is because the Patreon income has resulted in him not needing to push out artwork for sale to put food on the table. Selling the original art for the comic strips isn't a consistent income, and it runs the risk of Fred subconsciously compromising the story in order to do plotlines that produce artwork that sells.

Also, you're the only person who has complained about Fred's Patreon goals. No one has raised any complaints on Fred's Patreon page. Fact is, people aren't supporting Fred in exchange for a guaranteed amount of comic pages per month, they're doing it for other reasons. For example, I'm a 10$ patron myself, and I do it because it's a better deal on both ends than buying fine art prints due to shipping and importation costs, which easily double the costs of any given fine art print.

Thats all fine and good, but words matter. With the issues Fred has had his whole life, he should know by now to stop saying he will do something for money only to then not deliver. Its so easy to change the patreon goal to reflect this. Just don't say "I will replace 2 finished comic pages to 4 per month, if the patreon goal is reached" That's all it would take for me to stop pointing this out. It would be the honest thing to do. And you know that.

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Concerned_user wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:04 pm
Olba wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Concerned_user wrote:
It is a tip jar though. It was set up because people kept asking Fred about Patreon and donating. The goals on the Patreon are quite obviously generic .......

<snip>

Thats all fine and good, but words matter. With the issues Fred has had his whole life, he should know by now to stop saying he will do something for money only to then not deliver. Its so easy to change the patreon goal to reflect this. Just don't say "I will replace 2 finished comic pages to 4 per month, if the patreon goal is reached" That's all it would take for me to stop pointing this out. It would be the honest thing to do. And you know that.

Concerned_user,

Please point to the contract that exists between Fred and us (his readers) about how many pages he "owes" us in return for what we give him.

You can't, can you?

"But words matter!", I hear you cry. Yes, they do -- if you break your promises too often, your word becomes worthless. But some of us have been around here for many years, and our interaction with Fred is relational, not transactional. If Fred is a bit slower than maybe he promised with the releases, so what? Don't hit his tip-jar as often (or at all) if you feel cheated.

Me? I'm a free-loader. I haven't spent a dime on Fred and Megatokyo since I bought a Miho "polesitting" poster ..... 15 years ago ..... (?) .... and I really should pitch something in to help out -- I've been reading the strip regularly since 2003 or so.

As it is, I'm grateful ...... repeat, GRATEFUL .... that Megatokyo didn't die over the course of the year-long hiatus when we left Chewtoy in his hospital bed at the end of Chapter 11. (Thank you for hanging in there, Fred!)

Maybe you should be grateful, too.
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.