[1529] The needs of my story

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1529] The needs of my story

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Couple of points, the Ninja sub-contracted the contract to neutralize Largo out to Masamichi Meimi AKA Yuki's Hot Mom

Second point, Mugi's skillset is teaching high school biology and partying like a rockstar. One she had to train and study hard to accomplish with no support from her family at all and the other coming completely natural to her.

Both Mugi and Yaku have been placed in a very bad spot because of the lack of clan support. They have some cousins who they are close to but I rather suspect that "old 8 tails" hasn't bothered to let either of them know what sort of danger that ninja entanglements represented.

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I second those notions. ^^

Has the apparent current top Ninja of this clan taken it upon herself (and by extension everyone else who is within her control, even if that doesn't include those who work for head ninja and stability directly or whatever Junpei's deal is) to capture a tween. One who placed herself into this situation, deep into story, yes, but who was brought in by somebody who belongs there. And to capture a young long-distant relative of some forgotten contract, that nobody could or wanted to or thought of fulfilling, as if Yaku is in the thick of things or a viable valid pawn in such devious machinations. But instead of being in the thick of that, is from a branch of the family apparently looked down upon due to lineage and status. The apparent guesswork and conjecture and perhaps almost anti logical conclusions from Ninja leader seems rather odd compared to all the things she supposedly knew or determined from interrogation about Miho. It would seem simple to just get the info from Yaku instead of starting an overly melodramatic spectacle almost certain to upset Miho, and to some extent meta-wise us. And the same thing for strong-arming Miho, it also seems, why tie up and remove Yaku while Miho is still there rather than seeing Miho off to business some other way first. Well, I suppose if she expects Miho to not be able to do anything, and if she was really doing what she said rather than trying to accomplish something else, it wouldn't matter, you wouldn't have to keep being subtle and vague.

Yet maybe it's not at all strange given what happens around Miho, and we just see it here yet again. That it's not odd because this is the real thing, the source of particularly potent stories, an Analogue. And seemingly more powerful than every other powerful combined. Because apparently even they're all somehow derived from her. Why that has stopped, the story we might suppose. Unless it hasn't stopped.

It could be pretty awesome to find out that instead of the plans the overestimation was great, and other things happen trying to dealing with a cosmic or author weight as if it's muggle or fragile. I might guess many here are hoping Miho is going to show she's still as hearty as ever in the doing whatever she can needs to wants, but it seems entirely possible she is as weak and as out of options as the story suggests.

Or maybe it's just easier to think of it in other ways. Fake from falsehoods built upon untruths. Non-facts told by lying liars to prevaricators in deceiving ways, fabricating and equivocating. Storytellers spinning yarns for romancers.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm
Masamichi Meimi
Sonoda :)
Invisigoth wrote:
Both Mugi and Yaku have been placed in a very bad spot because of the lack of clan support. They have some cousins who they are close to but I rather suspect that "old 8 tails" hasn't bothered to let either of them know what sort of danger that ninja entanglements represented.
Maybe. But if great-grandma had tried to tell Mugi, I'm not sure Mugi would have listened. And Mugi goes out of her way to hide the harsher side of life from Yaku anyway [1490], so even if Mugi knew it's not surprising that Yaku doesn't. Also, I suspect that great-grandma sees this as something between herself and Ninjagram, which great-grandma no doubt thinks she can handle and doesn't need to bother the children with. The contract isn't on the whole foxgirl clan, after all.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:31 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:22 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Masamichi Meimi
Sonoda :)

oopsie!

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 pm
There's no such thing as free will.
We're into philosophical discussions now? :shock: :roll:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:27 am

Rapierman wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 pm
There's no such thing as free will.
We're into philosophical discussions now? :shock: :roll:
Unless he was talking to someone named Will. :roll:
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:45 am

darrin wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am
The contract is on the "head" of the family. "Interrogating", or worse threatening the clueless little girl to get at said head, doesn't speak much to the "honor" of said organization.
Business honor, Organization honor, Criminal honor, and personal honor... they do not share the same path... step for step.
To play devil's advocate because I still like her: Nabiki learns which fox clan Yaku is from and that her grandson is under the sway of junior members of the clan that has frustrated and dishonored her clan in the past. Mugi might take from her personally and her clan. She acts to counter that threat quickly to nip it in the bud. "So, this Mugi thinks she might take my grandson? NO! I will take from her first!" Nabiki probably sees Yaku as a hostage for leverage rather than a prisoner for interogation or retribution. Having Mugi's daughter is a powerful force to prevent the loss of her favorite grandson who is also a valuable young ninja in her clan.

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Actually, I don't think you have to extrapolate very far to understand Nabiki acting this way.

We know Mugi considers "old eight-tails" to be something just short of outright evil, and moved away to shield Yaku from their dealings. IIRC Fred has alluded to them being capable of Very Bad Things in the name of power.

Imagine that Hachibi seduced Nabiki's beloved older brother into helping take over her clan then betrayed him for a scapegoat, for example. It'd be the perfect explanation for why Nabiki flipped into Oh Hell No mode.

The "little monster" crack is unquestionably over the line, but look at the US and how quickly we assume that anyone who looks vaguely similar to someone we hate is Evil. Heck, nowadays just being related or living in the same neighborhood or agreeing on an unrelated topic can make you Evil Because Reasons.

We'll find out what kind of person Nabiki is sooner or later, because evil is as evil does. But for me, I'm hoping that she's going to add more nuance to the "unreliable narrator" aspect of MT. (i.e. Always keep in mind that people deceive each other and even themselves, consciously or unconsciously.)

Edit: Wasn't quite done rambling, and it's been quiet enough around here that I thought it would be harmless to add a bit more before the next person posted.
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.

kendermouse

Post by kendermouse » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Hmm... now, will Yaku end up throwing her little family's lot in with the ninjas after they find out that she hates her great grandma for planning to kill her mama, or will Yaku, Mugi, Junpei, (and possibly Miho, given the way things are going,) end up forming their own, brand-new faction to protect themselves and the little family they're working to build? (Of course, if that happens, we already know they'll have a current and former MG on their side, and probably the "humans", as well, given the shenanigans that keep throwing them together, and the fact that Junpei considers Largo to be his teacher... probably also gonna end up with a bunch of regular teenagers on their side, as well, given and Largo being favorite teachers, and so on...

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 am

Junpei has switched factions. Do you really believe that Largo is going to suddenly have a massive change of heart and get on Miho Faction because Junpei defected?

Granted, it's more that Junpei went to "hot kitsune" than going Miho but Mugi is a die hard Miho-girl and that's all there is to that

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 am

I bet Mugi cares more for Yaku than foul Miho.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 am
I bet Mugi cares more for Yaku than foul Miho.
That's what's called a non sequitur

We don't see any evidence that Yaku has suddenly developed a new and harsher animosity to Miho. In fact she has much bigger problems at the moment which she can't do anything at all about.

I'd say that her only lifeline at the moment is Miho as Grandmother is going to be "waiting up" for Junpei, provided that she doesn't pop over and drag him back by his ear

iffy

Post by iffy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Has Tohya Miho been vanished without her wanting to be, by forces and mechanisms more powerful than the real thing, in whatever state it is in right now. However the Ninja Clan Matriarch and Yakugashi fit into it all.

Yet, apparently this is simply only the sort of thing that happens when you stash an Analogue someplace. Especially in a hotbed rife with material of rivalry, revenge, secrecy and intrigue. Just "hide" her in a Ninja Compound, what could happen.

Many of the stories that have been going on, old and new, have just gotten amped. As plenty of material from recent earlier remains in play, 'twould appear any bid to finalize it all via dead has failed. Which story not over and remaining bits, there's still what's going on with Yuki/Ririka/Erika/Largo and Mugi/Junpei at hospital, and Kimiko/Piro, Ping, and the rest of the family at the hotel.

I'm just wondering if what's going on in the Sonoda house is going to have an impact as well.

richvh

Post by richvh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Have we verified that Head Ninja from 639 is the same as Junpei's grandmother? My old impression was that Head Ninja was male, but looking at it today I see that Head Ninja's gender is hidden under the black robe and hood.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

I would have thought not.

Again just impressions, but I see grandma as head of one family. Head ninja I see in the context of a larger organization, possibly across several clans.

Junpei's attitude seems to suggest different people.

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Difficult to tell given the getup in 639 and the 14 year rw art style changes between that and 1473 certainly.

But yes, aside from how Junpei refers etc to Head Ninja, whoever that is seems taller and larger than Junpei is. The eyes don't seem the same as our claimed Clan Leader Ninja either.

Or maybe Enjii is a shape-shifter as well.....

Still, what she says in 1515:6 and the way she vanishes in 1515:7 and the way Junpei looks in 1515:8 might makes it seem like something else is going on with whoever she is, and whatever she's doing. And not in a Head Ninja way seemingly.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 am

Going on the possibility that Junpei's Grandma might be Head Ninja, if he knew that she is Head Ninja would he not address her as a respected family elder with something like Honored Grandmother? Now with the current situation, I see Yaku being used as bait to bring her Grandmother out of hiding. I don't think that she is in any real danger.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 am

GouryG wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 am
Now with the current situation, I see Yaku being used as bait to bring her Grandmother out of hiding. I don't think that she is in any real danger.
Ditto. Any bets on whether Kitsune-GM drops a comment on not caring about Yaku per se, but caring about her tails?

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am

Please don't tell be that all of Megatokyo has been a shaggy-dog story leading to "A city of two tails".

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:34 am

"No," said The Queen, "I don't think it's particularly shaggy at all."

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Ningen wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am
Please don't tell be that all of Megatokyo has been a shaggy-dog story leading to "A city of two tails".
It could be much worse... it could lead to the story of one of Junko's clients taking liberties.
"The sale of two titties"

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 pm

arimareiji wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:49 pm

It could be much worse... it could lead to the story of one of Junko's clients taking liberties.
Hahaha,

'what's wrong with you, that you'd even think that?' :) [1475]
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 pm

cidjen wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 pm
arimareiji wrote:

Hahaha,

One of the curses on my brain is that it easily gets stuck cycling through permutations. Useful for coming up with pun atrocities or figuring out solutions to difficult problems, not so useful for OCD or filing away negative memories.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Zzzzzzzzz............

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 am

arimareiji wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 pm
cidjen wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 pm
arimareiji wrote:

Hahaha,

One of the curses on my brain is that it easily gets stuck cycling through permutations. Useful for coming up with pun atrocities or figuring out solutions to difficult problems, not so useful for OCD or filing away negative memories.
Well I get where you get that from (Junko's predicament was pretty much implied in [1175]... I mean, even I, who doesn't have a lot of imagination, can imagine what did she mean by THAT)...

Here's To Hoping that Ashe really eats Pings' date ;)

Should we do something ...?

(waiting for Junpei to say 'Junpei agrees' and >poof< us)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )