[1528] An old story that needs to be finished

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Small Pink Mouse

Re: [1528] An old story that needs to be finished

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:20 am

Liminaut wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm
N1nj4Grrl got up in Yaku's grill when Yaku couldn't remember Junpei's name. I'm guessing that's the 'ol.d story' -- treating ninja as faceless, nameless objects instead of as real people. N1nj4Grrl doesn't like that.

Yeah, I think that's what precipitated it. Granny Kitsune's hint that preying upon humans is what Kitsume do probably points to *why* this decision was made. But "Does your mother go through so many men that you don't even remember their names?" is what triggered it and is probably the reason this conversation has just gone from friendly to not-so-friendly. While Yaku heard that as "Is your Mom a slut?" and we're currently invited to hear it that way as well I suspect what is really being asked is "Is your mom killing and eating that many humans so rapidly?" and Yaku is being dealt with as an apprentice to a serial murderer/cannibal. The fact that she may have reality altering powers to back up such inclinations in herself and her Mom would be a bonus. It wouldn't surprise me if things go just as abruptly back to all sunshine and smiles just as rapidly as if nothing happened should Yaku successfully establish her bonafides as "Mostly Harmless". ^_^

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 am

While I *do* not think that this is the way to communicate anything to anyone — and therefor I am strongly opposed to NinjaMom binding and gagging Yakugashi — I also want it to be clear that that is from my own personal perspective tied in to my involvement with the characters. I do not agree with NinjaMom’s treating of Yakugashi; I feel very sorry for Yakugashi that she gets treated like this and I am really rooting for Miho to kick NinjaMom’s ass, because stepping up for Yaku would be so good for all three of them:

1. Freeing Yakugashi — relief and restoration of self-esteem (Yaku: "Someone cared enough to come to my aid…")
2. Teaching NinjaMom a lesson (Miho: "You can’t do that to a kid/kit and get away with it. Not when I’m around.")
3. Setting Miho’s prioroties straight (Miho: "Screw Piro x Kimiko. If they want to, let them — I shouldn’t interfere anyway. And saving people who need help really *does* feel better.")

That would really be what I would like to happen, as an ‘involved reader’.

Then, there’s the story-teller, objective reader side of me.
SpoilerShow
Whatever Fred has got going, whatever he’s planning, the current plotcracker is a REALLY interesting move by Fred.
I really admire Fred and this turn of events really gets to my ‘involved reader’ side — counting my presence in this thread alone should prove that. =D

So. Credit where credit is due:
High compliments to the Chef.

Fred, you *really* got to me with this one! =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:09 am

DrunkenSailor wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:33 am
Probably not going to happen if only because I want to see it.
Bwa ha ha, story of my fandom. (In just about everything, not just MegaTokyo.) :lol:

EDIT:
Hmm, well, if it's not as bad as I am thinking (haven't entirely lost hope yet), then I could see panel 7 as kind of an Edna Moore thing. "Do come again dahling, I so enjoy our little talks." In which case the gag would mainly be because she so hates being interrupted. 8-) If Miho is sure at some level that Yakugashi isn't actually in grave danger, despite appearances, then her going with the flow and leaving become less inexcusable.

But dang, that last panel, and even panel 4. Those Ninjagrrl eyes... that's not Edna Moore, that's stone cold killer.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

One might imagine the real thing is no role. Whatever anyone thinks about Miho appears to be all about their opinions and perceptions, but she's clearly been often able to match those expectations, be that purpose or accident, towards a goal or otherwise. So it's probably not so odd to believe that whatever Miho may do is based upon things she knows that nobody else does, or that she can make happen/not happen (or can cause the story to make happen or not) leaving everyone else with their own notions, none of which right or wrong she appears all that interested in confirming or correcting; rather she seems more interested in making them as vague and applicable as possible. I'd think the reason Miho's combat abilities have varied so is that they are likely whatever they need to be at some time in some scenario. Which then silencing / menacing Yaku might be more like starting a car so it can drive somewhere. Want to observe what Miho can do and think/know that it can be triggered by situation, well then skin that smokewagon, see what happens. Story has established many times Miho can be vastly underestimated, which could just very well be the desired result. If that is a mistake, and things get too out of control, those are questions. Or sure, it could be all about the preying habits of Kitsune. Kitsu ne and ki tsune, zenko yako, and all that. Which depending on how much they could be classified as human could be considered some sort of cannibalism, and agents of stability might take a dim view of such. Especially if there was some history of direct confrontations between these two clans.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:51 pm

OK, after multiple attempts to start writing, I simply can't get anything coherent out. The art's awesome as always, and there are intriguing questions here, but seeing the way-older-than-we-thought ninja tying up the innocent, if mouthy, girl sets off all my hot buttons.

With any luck, it'll set off Junpei's, as well.

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 pm

I've joined the ranks of those who think this is Grandma.

Carry on.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Roamer wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:51 pm
With any luck, it'll set off Junpei's, as well.
I’m with ya. =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Ubu

Post by Ubu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

iffy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm
One might imagine the real thing is no role. Whatever anyone thinks about Miho appears to be all about their opinions and perceptions, but she's clearly been often able to match those expectations, be that purpose or accident, towards a goal or otherwise. So it's probably not so odd to believe that whatever Miho may do is based upon things she knows that nobody else does, or that she can make happen/not happen (or can cause the story to make happen or not) leaving everyone else with their own notions, none of which right or wrong she appears all that interested in confirming or correcting; rather she seems more interested in making them as vague and applicable as possible. I'd think the reason Miho's combat abilities have varied so is that they are likely whatever they need to be at some time in some scenario. Which then silencing / menacing Yaku might be more like starting a car so it can drive somewhere. Want to observe what Miho can do and think/know that it can be triggered by situation, well then skin that smokewagon, see what happens. Story has established many times Miho can be vastly underestimated, which could just very well be the desired result. If that is a mistake, and things get too out of control, those are questions. Or sure, it could be all about the preying habits of Kitsune. Kitsu ne and ki tsune, zenko yako, and all that. Which depending on how much they could be classified as human could be considered some sort of cannibalism, and agents of stability might take a dim view of such. Especially if there was some history of direct confrontations between these two clans.
Wait, :shock: only 285 words? . . . . Who are you, :ph34r: and what have you done with iffy? :ninja:

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:24 pm

It is an shrubbery.

Although come to think of it, foxes taking on human form can look like anything they want to allegedly, so why not Ninja doing the same sort of thing.

Unless this is like the beef with Pirates. Or how much Mugi's family is hybrid versus straight up old school mystical magical legend.

Well anyways, Miho.... Given the usual moods and behaviors, it seems unlikely (short of a sea change) Miho is going to let this drop.

Plus given how all over the place she is (mooohooohaahahaa) that Enjii is doing anything other than goading Miho into reacting.

But then again as we always say, it's not necessarily what it looks like, can take a long time (or forever) to become apparent what it actually is.

And the result could be Miho leaving and nefarious plans from an ancient cause being carried out even still.

That last sort of turn of events just seems rather unlikely at this point, given most existing precedent at least. Unless it's that whole what it looks like being deceiving thing.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:53 am

Cool.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am

paarfi wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 am
The question in the previous comic about whether Mugi was Tokyo kitsune was likely strategic. She was trying to find out if she might be putting her Ninja family into a fight with the local foxgirl clan. The Himeji clan is far away and might not even come to Mugi/Yaku's defense given the poor family relations. So not so much to worry about.

I'm not sure what the old story is that Ninjagrrl is referring to. The way she refers to Yaku as a monster is likely a clue, and probably has something to do with foxgirls (or any sort of chimeras) as a whole. Should be interesting.
Alternatively, it could be that the ninja clan has unfinished business with the Sawatari. Why did they move from Himeji? That could well be the story which Grandma is referring to. The opportunity for revenge has now conveniently walked into her hands. Unlike Miho (who arrived as a guest) Yaku forced her way in uninvited, even using a ninja as a servant. If Grandma already had a bad impression of the Kitsune, that would have reinforced it big time. I think another grandma may need to intervene.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 am

Ningen wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am
Alternatively, it could be that the ninja clan has unfinished business with the Sawatari.
If Stuff Fred Said is anything to walk here with, it's been told, that Ninjas are catpeople (Fred drew Enji as catgirl and Junpei as Lion Man for us) :) see the 1529 WIP thread :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Mugi certainly seemed rather triggered when Largo called her a catgrrl.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:07 am

Yeah, right :) And Junpei is no ordinary cat-ninja, he's a lion-ninja :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:10 pm

The mane man.