[1528] An old story that needs to be finished

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1528] An old story that needs to be finished

Post by paarfi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1528] An old story that needs to be finished

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 am

Oh this is getting good....

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am

Eep. :ph34r:
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am

if that's Junpei's sister then she outranks him by a significant degree

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 am

Dun dun DUN!!! What a twist!

Well, Junpei is defying Stability and the ninja clan to help Mugi/Miho. I guess it would have been too easy if the ninja clan had just gone along with it.

This is kinda clever of Ninjagrrl. It addresses the Miho problem by getting her new horde-pacifying story back on track. And it doesn't cause her to directly oppose Junpei or impinge on his honor like just killing Miho would have. Again, the sort of thing Junpei mom or Junpei grandma might do.

The question in the previous comic about whether Mugi was Tokyo kitsune was likely strategic. She was trying to find out if she might be putting her Ninja family into a fight with the local foxgirl clan. The Himeji clan is far away and might not even come to Mugi/Yaku's defense given the poor family relations. So not so much to worry about.

I'm not sure what the old story is that Ninjagrrl is referring to. The way she refers to Yaku as a monster is likely a clue, and probably has something to do with foxgirls (or any sort of chimeras) as a whole. Should be interesting.

edit: grammar and speeeeling

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:54 am

Consider that the last time that Miho died the only people to even recall her was Piro, Ping and Junko.

I suspect that Ninjagrrl has no interest in killing Miho and resetting her story because if she does then the forgetfulness will erase the contract and the Ninja won't be paid

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm

monsters, ropes, and old stories.... looks like Yaku and ninjagrrl are going to be entertaining in their own right.
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Wesker888

Post by Wesker888 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Well shit. That escalated quickly.

dparky

Post by dparky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Yes it did.

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Uh... Miho, now would be a good time to forget your own problems and pull a big damn heroes moment. 'Cause Yaku needs an adult!

I mean, Yaku is annoying, bossy, and irritatingly arrogant (typical for kids her age), but that's just something you tolerate in kids. You do not gag them, tie them up, or you know, actually do any of the things you fantasize about doing to the little monsters.

Lingman

Post by Lingman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:36 am

Well, that got very dark, very fast. I find myself wondering about unfulfilled contracts that the Himegi Ninjas were supposed to handle...

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:59 am

So she's not Junpei's little sister, she's more like a commander of the family unit. Still not old enough to be a granny, I think... She's higher level than Junpei, maybe she's someone Junpei is expected to be going out with, but he isn't, and now she thinks that Mugi is stealing him from her?

Or maybe the kitsune from Himeji, they put up some funds to find Yaku and Mugi and return them to the family?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:54 am
Consider that the last time that Miho died the only people to even recall her was Piro, Ping and Junko.

I suspect that Ninjagrrl has no interest in killing Miho and resetting her story because if she does then the forgetfulness will erase the contract and the Ninja won't be paid
It's 5:30am and I'm feeling much too lazy to confirm, but didn't the other main protagonists remember her as well? This shouldn't change your point since none of them currently work directly for Stability (AFAWK) except Inspector Sonoda, and I don't think we've seen confirmation as to whether he remembered her on his own after the reset.

The existence of this bug/feature probably makes life easier ("Hey, didn't you die last week?") but it's gotta hurt inasmuch as Miho lets it. (Even Unspeakable Abominations of Evil still have feelings, TWB.)
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:43 am

arimareiji wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 am
except Inspector Sonoda, and I don't think we've seen confirmation as to whether he remembered her on his own after the reset.
Since Miho walked into the killball barrage, the only time we've seen Masamichi was the sequence when he was giving Yutaka the psycho-dad test over the phone [1296]. But we did see that Masamichi remembered Miho after the earlier disaster that followed Erika's public retirement announcement [800]. We don't know for sure that Miho died then, but it seems a fair guess, especially given the way Masamichi asks "So ... exactly how long have you been ... up?". It's very easy to read that "up" as meaing "alive again".

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 am

Ooooh.
« Some of *my* ninja will… »
(accentuation added)

*blink*

And HEY, whatever your name is, ninja-queen for all I care!!! — whatever good reasons you think you may have and no matter how annoying Yakugashi may (actually!) be… You don’t treat a teenager — correction: ANYONE — like THAT!!!

>(

Thanks, Fred.
Great post! =)

P.S. 1 — I do wonder, though. That last look-over-the-shoulder from Miho… would she have a déjà vu to an earlier moment [936] when she herself called some other teenage kid a ‘monster’…?

P.S. 2 — This is not the first time [1491] we see Yakugashi’s response to that word…
Last edited by BetaCygnus on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 am

The Ninja are apparently long term strategic thinkers.

This isn't the first time that we've gotten evidence of them disregarding the stated intent of a contract. They took the contract to "neutralize" Largo and they sub-contracted it out to Meimi. Long term result is that now Erika is essentially defused as a threat risk to Stability with her being able to schmooze past the doorman at a club or briefly distract a gaggle of already reluctant mercenaries from launching a final assault on Miho.

Also, I think that Junpei has royally screwed the pooch here. There are at least three more ninja present and I'd think have been simply waiting on standby.

I obviously can't prove it but I suspect that the only way the ninja would have taken a contract to kill Miho is if they'd received an exclusive with all payment up front

That leads to the question of the older story that Ninjagrrl refers too and how it involves Yaku's kitsune clan.

I see a cage in Yaku's future

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm

N1nj4Grrl got up in Yaku's grill when Yaku couldn't remember Junpei's name. I'm guessing that's the 'ol.d story' -- treating ninja as faceless, nameless objects instead of as real people. N1nj4Grrl doesn't like that.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:24 pm

I get the feeling that the old story might have to do with Junpei. I'll bet this is Junpei's mother, and I'll bet she disapproves of some of the things her son has been doing.

We've seen that Junpei does not actually live here at Ninja compound. He has a place next door to Tsubasa's old apartment [70]. They keep his old room at the compound open, and Junpei knows this, but he doesn't live there. Why? Lots and lots and lots of other ninja do [1528].

Junpei appears to be a bit of a rebel as ninja go. When Stability put out a contract on Largo, Ninja clan assigned that to Junpei, but he refused it [639]. Head Ninja let him get away with this, even though it was important to Ninja clan. Junpei even tried to defend Largo from the subcontractor who took over after his refusal [714]. That could well have put Ninja clan in trouble with Stability.

Did Ninja-mom have to pull strings to get Junpei off the hook? He is a very high level ninja [684], not just some nobody. His refusal wouldn't be something that could easily be swept under the rug. Even if Ninja-mom didn't intervene, it wouldn't be surprising of she were angry at him about it. She's obviously a person of authority in Ninja clan. You don't just go ignoring your duty to the family (or even opposing it) to follow some loony "Way of l337".

Junpei made a bad miscalculation in bringing Miho and Yaku to Ninja compound, as we've already seen. Ninja are honorable, and maybe he assumed that they would tolerate him in this, even if they disapproved. They'd treated him that way before. Obviously, he was wrong this time. Was this just the final straw for Ninja-mom, and she finally needed to straighten Junpei out? Or was it maybe the news that he was "pretty into" a monster like Mugi [1527] that pushed things over the edge. Prejudice can make people do ugly things.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Well, Ninjagrrl isn't exactly high in the tact department. :P
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:41 pm

If you abduct a kitsune child, is it kit-napping (twice over, even)?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:08 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 am

P.S. 2 This is not the first time [1491] we see Yakugashi’s response to that word…
Is it me or did that page recently get less sketchy?

Edit: it's just me.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:18 pm

arimareiji wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:41 pm
What if knock her unconscious too? Would that be triple?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Oh teenagers :(

she did hear Junpei's name at least once! here! and 2 times in the next one.

But then Enji... did really catch her off-guard.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:18 pm
arimareiji wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:41 pm
What if knock her unconscious too? Would that be triple?
A set of parts to model the scene for 4?

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:27 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 am
<snip>
P.S. I do wonder, though. That last look-over-the-shoulder from Miho… would she have a déjà vu to an earlier moment [936] when she herself called some other teenage kid a ‘monster’…?

P.S. 2 This is not the first time [1491] we see Yakugashi’s response to that word…
There does seem to be a who/what is a monster sub-theme running. Several of the principals have been accused of monsterdom at some point..,
Piro [103]
Ping (implied) [364]
Yuki, Miho(self) [936-942]
Miho (implied) [1109]
Kimiko [1112]
Yuki (self) [1301, 1304,1305]
Kobayashi [1302]
Miho [1306]
Miho (self, denied) [1330]
Miho (self) [1401]
Grandma(self), Mugi, Yaku [1491]

There have also been a number of other references to monsters in passing [83, 359. 380, 606, 1051.1076.1095. 1118,1375]