[1482] not a clear path

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Sareth

Re: [1482] not a clear path

Post by Sareth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:26 pm

LALALANOTLISTENINGTOMEANYCHEMI!
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 pm

chemi wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:57 pm
If I remember Fred's foxgirl genetics correctly, it's something that's only passed along the direct maternal line. Megumi is the daughter of one of the family sons... ergo, no foxgirl.
Dude! Spoiler tag!

Hetz

Post by Hetz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm kind of impressed how well Junpei's ninja training is for him to like just stand then slightly bend off to the side while on the top of a speeding vehicle. Also the nice new forum has brought me back for a post.

L33t_Folder

Post by L33t_Folder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Lesson to Megumi: never doubt the guy who can shotput a combat mech. Too bad he's already taken.

chemi

Post by chemi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 pm
chemi wrote:
If I remember Fred's foxgirl genetics correctly, it's something that's only passed along the direct maternal line. Megumi is the daughter of one of the family sons... ergo, no foxgirl.
Dude! Spoiler tag!
I recall Fred discussing that live in a Twitch stream, so you might wanna tell him that.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:56 am

L33t_Folder wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 pm
Lesson to Megumi: never doubt the guy who can shotput a combat mech. Too bad he's already taken.
While I like the Mugi pairing and there'a a certain chemistry between them, they aren't an item in story yet (I think?)

Perhaps our friendly ninja has his eyes on Megumi and figured helping foxy family members would be a good in.

marsonkhan

Post by marsonkhan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 am

paarfi wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 am
She wants the P.
I assume you mean Piro...

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:44 am

chemi wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:19 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 pm
chemi wrote:
Dude! Spoiler tag!
I recall Fred discussing that live in a Twitch stream, so you might wanna tell him that.
He did say that in the Twitch chat. But y'all know as well as I do that, unless it's actually in the comic already, it's not canon. Fred can and will change his mind, as he has thousands of times before. Also, half the stuff Fred says in the Twitch chat is trolling and Fred herrings, so you can't even take that as actually current thinking. If Fred decides Megumi is secretly kitsune, that's totally fine and I'm sure it'll be awesome. If he doesn't, then that's still fine and it'll still be awesome.
marsonkhan wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 am
paarfi wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 am
She wants the P.
I assume you mean Piro...
Of course.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

chemi

Post by chemi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 am

paarfi wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:44 am

He did say that in the Twitch chat. But y'all know as well as I do that, unless it's actually in the comic already, it's not canon. Fred can and will change his mind, as he has thousands of times before. Also, half the stuff Fred says in the Twitch chat is trolling and Fred herrings, so you can't even take that as actually current thinking. If Fred decides Megumi is secretly kitsune, that's totally fine and I'm sure it'll be awesome. If he doesn't, then that's still fine and it'll still be awesome.
And if he decides to change it, then it'll be changed. But as of this moment, this is the active explanation, and I intend to stick with it and its relevant inclusion in the current discussion.

Besides, hell, even if it is IN comic doesn't mean there isn't room in Fred's mind for reinterpretation.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 am

I was just having fun and riffing off of Sareth's reaction guys :D

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm

I feel loved!

And Megumi doesn't.

Or does she? Ninja love, are you sure there's love in the room if you can't see it?
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

McTrooper

Post by McTrooper » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:22 pm

L33t_Folder wrote:
Oh I thought he was saying he's related to her.

llynarian

Post by llynarian » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:23 pm

I think the only thing that could make Megumi back off with regard to a real live ninja to drool over is that reminder that Komugiko sensei is her family, and he's already taken. I wonder how she and Junpei's sister will get along devising a tale of forbidden love.....

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Roborat wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:57 pm
Ah, that bang was Junpei, I was afraid it was one of the mechs grabbing the vehicle. I knew he would be working to get her clear, what happened to the tank, I wonder? I really hope that vehicle is not a lease, otherwise those 2 inch deep boot dents in the hood are going to be a problem.
The tank can be seen facing into the rubble in the last panel.

Also, is that a fox tail I spy on the antenna? Cute!

Old_Gray_One

Post by Old_Gray_One » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:17 pm

I would say that the tank crew has bigger worries than dents.......Like survival, for one.

wideload

Post by wideload » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Remember when Kimi decided it was time to focus on what feelings she really cared about

Code: Select all

https://megatokyo.com/strip/941
?

Guess she finally did... :D

L33t_Folder

Post by L33t_Folder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 pm

garapagosu wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:56 am
L33t_Folder wrote:
While I like the Mugi pairing and there'a a certain chemistry between them, they aren't an item in story yet (I think?)

Perhaps our friendly ninja has his eyes on Megumi and figured helping foxy family members would be a good in.
I suppose "taken" is a bit strong, considering they've only known each other for a single day. On the other hand, there is a lot of chemistry there, and right now Junpei is helping Megumi to impress Komugiko, not the other way around. Megumi's reaction makes it clear that she knows that.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am

Well, at least Megumi got a good look at Junpei's glutes...... :mrgreen:

A moment to say how incredibly badass Junpei is? He just chucked a mecha that weighed many tons!

Megumi shouldn't give up on him yet, since he is bound by honor, not love.......

As for Piro's hands, perhaps he's reaching for her panties???? :ninja:

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 am

I don't think even Junpei would have the strength to directly counter the force of a multi-ton mecha, but it looks like he took its momentum and used it against itself in kind of a judo throw. Yeah, slightly more believable, but it still blows my mind. And magical girls are a whole magnitude of difference more powerful...

Megumi looks pretty sad for someone whose bacon just got saved. I don't know if it's because of Junpei, or because of Junpei's use of the word family has her thinking about her incendiary relationship with Mugi.

PxK... nothing to see here, move along. :P

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:44 am
Megumi is yet another example of
  1. Fred decides new character's surname is X
  2. Old character's surname is already established as X also
  3. Fred resolves this by making them related, rather than coming up with a different name for the new character
  4. Somehow it turns out much better for the story that they are related anyway

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am
Megumi shouldn't give up on him yet, since he is bound by honor, not love.......
Junpei's comment to himself in the last panel of 1448 implies that he is currently motivated more by the code of love than the code of honor. While Mugi and Junpei are far from a done deal at this point, Megumi is probably right to feel she has an uphill battle ahead of her.

Good luck, Megumi. :(

EDIT:
Ningen wrote:Also, is that a fox tail I spy on the antenna? Cute!
It's been visible since the car was first seen, although arguably not very noticeable (it's often drawn with faint "background" lines even when the car itself is drawn with heavier "foreground" lines). (I don't know if it's significant that it's pretty clearly visible in panel 5 of 1477, but then not visible at all in panels 6 and 8... It seems to be back in panel 2 of 1478 but it could be argued that the "go fast" lines make it hard to tell...)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

TarsTarkas

Post by TarsTarkas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 pm

The next story panel will probably be pivotal for Megatokyo.

What Piro does next will determine whether or not him and Kimiko are something.

If Piro does not respond in kind to Kimiko in the next panel, there will be no Kimiko-Piro relationship.

Kimiko is putting herself out there for Piro, if Piro can't find the confidence to respond to that in kind they will be over.

Hopefully, Fred won't let that happen, I'll be sad if that happens.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:04 pm

There is something quite final about the last panel. The image of Megumi "driving off into the sunset" strongly suggests a scene change to me.

Unfortunately that would put an end to any Kimiko and Piro goodness we might be hoping for. :( I would certainly be the last to want that... I mean it's great that Piro is no longer asking stupid questions but I was hoping to see him at least hug her instead of flailing his arms around like a startled octopus. But I can't shake the feeling that torturing us by leaving open and unresolved the questions of "just how far did Kimiko go?" and "just how much was Piro able to keep up with her?" ;) would be very much in Fred's style.

So, maybe back to Miho and her new friend? That seems a bit more likely to me than Largo and Erika; Miho is likely to be more rested up at this point and ready to hold her own against more hijinks from Junpei no imouto. :lol:
Last edited by darrin on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 pm

The fairly straightforward (yet somewhat slow to be established exactly) move of Kimiko going in for the kiss remains so, indeed! Regardless of temporary pause due to Ninja landing on car. Piro seems reasonably confused even if it wasn't him; 'here, now?' Perhaps against his stated intentions even. The question might be if Kimiko is 100% exactly herself right now. But what I want to know (see) is if Piro is going to establish this relationship. Potentially at least, perhaps depending on who Kimiko is being if not herself on her own volition. The question, does Piro reciprocate, or do something to harsh his own buzz. Because odd behavior wrong time people around whatever. There are a number of other clues and information pointing along a path, wanting to be taken or not. AND YET, whatever else, no matter what else, the story must be told, the show must go on. Much is there for those who watch and see. So maybe the way to ask it is if her abnormality translates, or is there no abnormality to begin with.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

All I know is Fred can only show an instant in time, and we have no way of truly knowing what Piro will do until the next comic, unless, as darrin has surmised, we have a scene change. Wouldn't be surprised if that happened, either. :P