[1604] residual memory

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1604] residual memory

Post by paarfi » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:56 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1604] residual memory

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:37 am

Miho, Mugi and Yaku back in play again. That's good to see

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 pm

SpoilerShow
Now my imagination can't help but picture Poke having sex with "the fluffy one."
Ahem. Anyway. Back to Miho and her foxes! Yes.

I'll discuss this update more once the page is up on the site.

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:46 pm

Comic is up.

There's something that unsettles me about Poke's expression in panel 3. I may be reading too much into it, it may just be intended as wide-eyed cheerfulness, but in the context of the conversation it seems almost... desperate? Maybe manic? I can't find the right word, but Peek's comment that Poke essentially suffers death of personality after each time she "plays" with someone is rather disturbing.

Anyway, looks like we're switching focus back to Miho and her cuddly foxes at the hospital. Yakugashi has gotten a lot clingier after what happened to her yesterday, something I can't blame her for one bit. Poor girl could probably use some therapy.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 am

And there is the C3PO quote...

Miho... how revolting.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:03 am

Yay comic, thanks for the new page @Fred :)

The mood swings of the Miho Android equivalent must be quite something, if you're invested in one...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Miron

Post by Miron » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:59 am

Althair seems to mean "father" in Gaelic (as my shallow google search seems to suggest).

Only now I realized that Peek is based on Miho. Who is Poke based on, though? Must be someone that the old guy played with at some point, right?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:15 am

Maybe he based the Poke on a person who can be met in love hotels, and the resemblance to Kimi is kinda uncanny... While Peek is the polar opposite?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Miron

Post by Miron » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:25 am

cidjen wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:15 am
While Peek is the polar opposite?
I think Peek is a superficial interpretation of Miho's character. Note that, before recent developments, Miho was quite resigned and cynical.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 am

I think y'all are reading way too much into the looks of Peek and Poke. Fred's women sometimes look like each other just because of the way he draws. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen someone confuse Kimiko for Erika or Megumi.

Also, I know it's a small comic, but it makes very little sense for Dr Gero to have based anything on Kimiko. She was a nobody until her recent appearance on MuMu's radio show, and Peek and Poke appear not to have been created yesterday.

You can make more of a case for Miho, since Miho's story might be something that an EDS unit could interface for, and it would certainly be the "bad end" stories that Peek specializes in. But honestly, what kind of weirdo would want to play that with Peek. I mean it's one thing to watch or read a tragic story like Miho's, but who wants to actually be the person who loses and gets the bad end? I dunno, maybe some people have enough self-hatred to enjoy that, but I can't see it being a large enough market that Sony would develop a product for it.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:16 am

paarfi wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 am
I think y'all are reading way too much into the looks of Peek and Poke. Fred's women sometimes look like each other just because of the way he draws. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen someone confuse Kimiko for Erika or Megumi.

Also, I know it's a small comic, but it makes very little sense for Dr Gero to have based anything on Kimiko. She was a nobody until her recent appearance on MuMu's radio show, and Peek and Poke appear not to have been created yesterday.

You can make more of a case for Miho, since Miho's story might be something that an EDS unit could interface for, and it would certainly be the "bad end" stories that Peek specializes in. But honestly, what kind of weirdo would want to play that with Peek. I mean it's one thing to watch or read a tragic story like Miho's, but who wants to actually be the person who loses and gets the bad end? I dunno, maybe some people have enough self-hatred to enjoy that, but I can't see it being a large enough market that Sony would develop a product for it.
Just for an example of that sort of story I present https://store.steampowered.com/app/2643 ... _1st__2nd/

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:13 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 am
Just when they started to develop differences, you say that ;)

Based on what we appear to distill from what we got, it seems Dr Gero (himself, or with his colleagues?) and therefore his creation is basically resident in this (and others?) love hotel(s)... Maybe he has some business relationship with the family who own it? And Kimi is known to have been in a few herself? Therefore it stands to reason that he might have met her before comic time.
(He's also present on the CompDating scene, therefore Junko's usage in Ping...)

Well I rest my case above lol.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:21 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Based on what we appear to distill from what we got, it seems Dr Gero (himself, or with his colleagues?) and therefore his creation is basically resident in this (and others?) love hotel(s).
I don't understand how you got that. These two appear to have just shown up, don't know who any of the people in the Foxhole are, and aren't planning on staying. They aren't "resident" there, nor would it make sense for them to be. Love hotels aren't brothels: they don't provide sexual company. They merely provide a place where one might take advantage of any such company they already have. Moreover, there's no indication that the doctor had any connection to or interest in the Foxhole until Ping led him there and Ashe came out and confronted him.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:38 pm

He's been using various girl traits - by his own words - to compose the personality of Ping. Bit too much Junko ... right? Girls no-h model, one to love not to just 'use'. But the body is built like it /could/ be used that way.
Peek and Poke seem to 'reside' in the love hotel. Their exchange speaks that it would not be their first hurrah there. It would not be possible without the management ultimately having a say, some conditions, in what they can do and what copy of they may be, or not. Remember Gumi say that the family bought the place as a joke? Peek and Poke could be another one.
As they are at certain stages of development, I would imagine that their developer(s) at some point have been or still are somewhere close to reach and provide tech support, bug fixes, repairs etc.
Also Ashe observed Dr Gero talk with Ping, and did not ask, who are you... And what are you doing... Just straight demanded explanations. And offered him a price. And he did not ask Ashe for her name or affiliation either. Just went to try to explain himself. Might this mean that she knew him already but did not realize that Ping was also his creation? I'd say, maybe?.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Zagaroth

Post by Zagaroth » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Anyone remember where we last left off with Miho? I honestly don't recall what was happening, though I think she was defending the foxes from ninjas? bah, been to long and my memory is really fuzzy on this point, so I am not sure.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 am

Zagaroth wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:07 pm
Anyone remember where we last left off with Miho? I honestly don't recall what was happening, though I think she was defending the foxes from ninjas? bah, been to long and my memory is really fuzzy on this point, so I am not sure.
https://megatokyo.com/strip/1539

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 am

cidjen wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:38 pm
Peek and Poke seem to 'reside' in the love hotel. Their exchange speaks that it would not be their first hurrah there. It would not be possible without the management ultimately having a say, some conditions, in what they can do and what copy of they may be, or not. Remember Gumi say that the family bought the place as a joke? Peek and Poke could be another one.
As they are at certain stages of development, I would imagine that their developer(s) at some point have been or still are somewhere close to reach and provide tech support, bug fixes, repairs etc.
Also Ashe observed Dr Gero talk with Ping, and did not ask, who are you... And what are you doing... Just straight demanded explanations. And offered him a price. And he did not ask Ashe for her name or affiliation either. Just went to try to explain himself. Might this mean that she knew him already but did not realize that Ping was also his creation? I'd say, maybe?.
Respctfully, I must disagree. Nothing Poke and Peek have said indicates any familiarity with the Foxhole at all. They've merely said that Poke has had sex with large groups of people before, and does not remember doing so. More importantly, neither of them recognizes the staff of the Foxhole, which they absolutely would if they were living there. Also, said staff did not, and still mostly does not, know that Ping was an android. They didn't even know that such lifelike androids existed. Ashe is currently the only one who knows, and that's only becuase the doctor told her outright during their conversation.

Speaking of which, of course Ashe didn't ask him who he was or what he was doing: she already had enough information about that thanks to Ping. He was there on a compensated date with one girl, who wanted to have sex with him so that a friend of hers wouldn't have to. Ashe wasn't interested in politely introducing herself to him, she just went straight in to ask what it would take to get him to leave said girl alone. And he obviously didn't know her, because he clearly wasn't even aware of her ears and tail at first, and even when he did notice them he thought they were fake.

No, current evidence indicates that neither the doctor nor Peek and Poke had anything to do with the Foxhole before last night. These two were probably sent here after the conversation yesterday, both to check in on what Ping was doing there, and because the doctor became interested in Ashe.
Zagaroth wrote:
Let me see if I can manage a short version. Last chapter, after a bunch of stuff happened, Miho was rushed to the hospital due to a heart attack, and she was fitted with a pacemaker. That's apparently "bad" because it disrupts her story, so more bad stuff happened, and Komugiko (foxgirl who works at Miho's club) asked Junpei to take Miho somewhere safe. Junpei took her to his room at the secret ninja compound. A bit later Yakugashi (Komugiko's daughter) bullied Junpei into taking her there as well so she could tell off Miho a bit and write her a new story that didn't end with her dying, so that Yaku's mom wouldn't get hurt anymore by it all. Blah blah blah ninjas decided to kidnap Yaku because of some ancient grudge with her great-grandmother, Miho saved her, Junpei saved both of them and stayed behind to hold off the ninjas, Yaku was thoroughly traumatized, etc. etc.

After safely escaping, Yaku dragged Miho back to the hospital because Komugiko was there with a hurt leg. The two of them ran into Erika and Largo, and Erika invited them both to Megagamers in the morning to plan out a new story for Miho (it would take too long to explain why right now). Miho brought Yaku back to her mom's hospital room, then Yaku dragged her onto the bed with her so Miho wouldn't just leave, all parties involved fell asleep, and now it's morning.

...Did any of that make any sense?

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:09 am

Voyager wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 am
Zagaroth wrote:
https://megatokyo.com/strip/1574

Zagaroth

Post by Zagaroth » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:34 am

maldrul wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:09 am
Voyager wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 am
Zagaroth wrote:
https://megatokyo.com/strip/1574
Yep, this was basically what I needed. Seems like I was pretty close. She defended fox girl from Ninjas, Ninja boy defended them both from rest of clan, Miho and fox girl escaped, I had entirely forgotten about both of them falling asleep on teacher fox there.

Yes, I am bad at names sometimes. But I know who she *is* at least.

The summary from the post above by Random Wanderer helped too. :)

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:56 pm

I was assuming that "Peek and Poke" was just a bit of a sidebar.

So, Miho finally has the courage to fight for her life, eh? Question is: What is she going to do with that?
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Random Wanderer wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 am
Respctfully, I must disagree. Nothing Poke and Peek have said indicates any familiarity with the Foxhole at all. They've merely said that Poke has had sex with large groups of people before, and does not remember doing so. More importantly, neither of them recognizes the staff of the Foxhole, which they absolutely would if they were living there. Also, said staff did not, and still mostly does not, know that Ping was an android. They didn't even know that such lifelike androids existed. Ashe is currently the only one who knows, and that's only because the doctor told her outright during their conversation.
I'm guessing that you have no idea about the functions of "Peek" and "Poke". No, they may have not said anything regarding "The Foxhole", but their memories are short. They may have been there, but they could very well have forgotten about it once the left. We know nothing. They are the "Schroedinger's Cat" of MegaTokyo: They were and they weren't, all at the same time. :ninja:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:00 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Random Wanderer wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 am
Respctfully, I must disagree. Nothing Poke and Peek have said indicates any familiarity with the Foxhole at all. They've merely said that Poke has had sex with large groups of people before, and does not remember doing so. More importantly, neither of them recognizes the staff of the Foxhole, which they absolutely would if they were living there. Also, said staff did not, and still mostly does not, know that Ping was an android. They didn't even know that such lifelike androids existed. Ashe is currently the only one who knows, and that's only because the doctor told her outright during their conversation.
I'm guessing that you have no idea about the functions of "Peek" and "Poke". No, they may have not said anything regarding "The Foxhole", but their memories are short. They may have been there, but they could very well have forgotten about it once the left. We know nothing. They are the "Schroedinger's Cat" of MegaTokyo: They were and they weren't, all at the same time. :ninja:
Peek appears to retain her memory perfectly well. Besides, my intent isn't to unilaterally declare that they can't be staying at the Foxhole, it's a response to people who are taking it for granted that they are and are working their theories outward from there. My point is that there are, at present, no indications that the two of them are living there, and that there are several logical reasons why they wouldn't be doing so.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:40 pm

@Random Wanderer these are Fred's creations aka as he expressed sometimes, characters that speak to him to write down what they want to be written :) I can only envy this kind of imagination... But with precious little info of the setting and what the characters say they want to say, sometimes the hope is that Fred reads this and makes it go somewhere we did not imagine it go :) or, go exactly/not/ the way we tried to imagine it go.
(Case in point, i call dibs on the toner in Kimi's hair lol)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Random Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:00 pm
Peek appears to retain her memory perfectly well.
However, we gather she rarely (if ever) reaches completion. She may also have a reset at that point, we just don't know.

Meanwhile, for practical purposes you are correct - she remembers a lot more.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:50 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Random Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:00 pm
Peek appears to retain her memory perfectly well.
However, we gather she rarely (if ever) reaches completion. She may also have a reset at that point, we just don't know.

Meanwhile, for practical purposes you are correct - she remembers a lot more.
That's kind of nightmare fuel if you think about it. Can you imagine what it would be like to only remember the bad nights out, but never the good ones?