[1262 Flashback] What become of Piro's old laptop ?

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

cidjen

[1262 Flashback] What become of Piro's old laptop ?

Post by cidjen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 pm

So the title prettymuchsaysitall,

Yuki and Yutaka left Piro's laptop (the one with pixxx and chat logs) in Kenji's office. As seen in [1340] CoE has collapsed, but could the office have survived? Has anything survived from that laptop, that could do anything to any of the characters' stories if found by restless hands? Or Dom, or Ed, or whoever? Just an interesting thought.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

iffy

Re: [1262 Flashback] What become of Piro's old laptop ?

Post by iffy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 pm

I believe nobody on forum came to a conclusion from comic about who if anyone grabbed it or not. Yutaka was the last one with it? Had Mugi or somebody else went and got it? Is it buried under rubble? Destroyed? Sort of like whatever became of the Necrowombicon. Or if any of those questions (or answers) matter now or will ever.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

After Largo presses a button marked "PWN" on a device he's cobbled together, which (at the very least) triggers a blackout over several surrounding blocks? I'd bet that regardless of any physical damage to the outer case, the electronics in said laptop are completely non-recoverable.

It's an inconveniently shaped doorstop.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 am

I'm not convinced :) laptops of the kind in 2001 were built like tanks, over engineered... also electronics even if dead, doesn't mean someone can't pull the hard drive out.
Also, i don't think the DJ booth was near to Kenji's office (I think it actually was on the opposite end of the CoE)... so EMP might have not reached... and Yutaka was out of the office by then, he took his laptop and Largo's phone, so Piro's laptop wasn't powered on when the EMP/explosion happened (no battery remember)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am

10+ years from now, Fred will bring back that laptop as a vital plot point. Until then, its fate must remain a mystery. Chekov's sniper rifle.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 am

cidjen wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 am
pull the hard drive out
The EMP will have wiped the hard drive as well, or at least rendered it completely unreadable.

paarfi has a good point, but I think the Chekhov's gun going into that scene is Largo's DWIM super phone, which he quite thoroughly fires at that point. When Chekhov sets off a thermal detonator in the fireplace, all the fancy doodads that were on the mantelpiece (including that impressive looking antique shotgun) become so much former scenery. :P :lol:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one