[1597] so this is what happens

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1597] so this is what happens

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

tambo

Re: [1597] so this is what happens

Post by tambo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:57 am

I’m gonna go on record as really not enjoying this one.

I get that Ping didn’t know any better. But the tone of this comic is “yeah okay it’s wrong but it’s still kind of funny.” I don’t agree and I find repulsive.

If any of my friends discovered video of me having sex, in circumstances in which I didn’t know or consent and almost definitely wouldn’t have, *and then* watched it anyway, *and then* joked about having watched it to me *in front of other people*… I would feel not just embarrassed, but offended and deeply disrespected. Friendship over. No do-overs on something this awful.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am

tambo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:57 am

I get that Ping didn’t know any better. But the tone of this comic is “yeah okay it’s wrong but it’s still kind of funny.” I don’t agree and I find repulsive.

If any of my friends discovered video of me having sex, in circumstances in which I didn’t know or consent and almost definitely wouldn’t have, *and then* watched it anyway, *and then* joked about having watched it to me *in front of other people*… I would feel not just embarrassed, but offended and deeply disrespected. Friendship over. No do-overs on something this awful.
So you completely missed the point that grandmother was violently evading the question about her claimed adopted status?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 pm

As an aside, when pondering the morals and ethics of a kistune clan like the Sawatari's it would do well to refer back to the special sketch strips Visiting the Family Shrine https://megatokyo.com/strip/1490 and https://megatokyo.com/strip/1491 where grandma 8 tails explains that they are indeed monsters in regards to a casual discussion of killing Mugi so her tail can be used in a ritual to make grandma a 9 tail

tambo

Post by tambo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:08 pm

No, I got that. But as distraction tactics go, this one is totally not acceptable.

And note that Ashe is playing along.

tambo

Post by tambo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:51 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 pm
As an aside, when pondering the morals and ethics of a kistune clan like the Sawatari's it would do well to refer back to the special sketch strips Visiting the Family Shrine https://megatokyo.com/strip/1490 and https://megatokyo.com/strip/1491 where grandma 8 tails explains that they are indeed monsters in regards to a casual discussion of killing Mugi so her tail can be used in a ritual to make grandma a 9 tail
Yeah, I’ve read those strips multiple times - the dialogue, MegaTokyo lore, and character development are all well-written and interesting. And they provide some backdrop to this conversation.

But those strips have nothing to do with the issues I raised above, and I stand by my remarks.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am
tambo wrote:

So you completely missed the point that grandmother was violently evading the question about her claimed adopted status?
I'd say that exceeds 'violently evading' and reaches 'massively trolling'. In Ashe's defense, she's clearing trying very hard not to laugh in the last panel.

Tambo, as far as having your friends doing something like this and then making jokes about it...you've never been in the military, have you? Or any close-knit group that was under a lot of pressure regularly. It tends to make the humor a lot more rough.

Captain Button

Post by Captain Button » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Can anyone review the family structures here? There is glasses greatgrandma from 1490 linked above, Komugiko's mom who we saw in some group pic once, Komugiko, and her daughter Yakugashi.

Over here we have allegedly-adopted grandma, and her granddaughter Megumi. Which means there has to be a son or daughter in between.

And there is Ashe, who is also related somehow.

Who else am I forgetting, and how do the two lines connect?

Edit: Characters page says Megumi and Komugiko are cousins, so while Yakugashi calls her "Aunt Megumi" that is not technically correct.
Last edited by Captain Button on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tambo

Post by tambo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Roamer wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm
Tambo, as far as having your friends doing something like this and then making jokes about it...you've never been in the military, have you?
Are you asking about whether it occurs, or whether its occurrence is reasonable? Either way, I submit that the responses to your question would be vastly different between men vs. women. Because we keep getting stores like this one: https://www.pressherald.com/2021/09/09/ ... harassment

> Report: Third of women in Air Force face sexual harassment
Roamer wrote:
Or any close-knit group that was under a lot of pressure regularly. It tends to make the humor a lot more rough.
I wasn't aware that operating a love hotel involved "a lot of pressure."

More importantly, this kind of "rough humor" falls into the general category of "it's just a prank, bro" frat-boy antics. As in: offensive and humiliating bullying, dressed up as comedy. I'm sure it's still acceptable in some circles, but in general, we stopped recognizing this as fair play around the same time that we recognized bullying as a serious issue, rather than "boys will be boys."

Megumi doesn't seem to be having fun. You'd think that with Megumi being literally a few minutes into the biggest identity crisis and moment of vulnerability of her life to date, her blood relative and best friend would have some empathy. Instead, we get this. This sucks.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm

tambo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm
Roamer wrote:
Tambo, as far as having your friends doing something like this and then making jokes about it...you've never been in the military, have you?
Are you asking about whether it occurs, or whether its occurrence is reasonable? Either way, I submit that the responses to your question would be vastly different between men vs. women. Because we keep getting stores like this one: https://www.pressherald.com/2021/09/09/ ... harassment

> Report: Third of women in Air Force face sexual harassment
It's the same for both sexes within same-sex groups. The jokes that are made between groups of women in these situations are just as rough as the ones the men make.
tambo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm
Roamer wrote:
Or any close-knit group that was under a lot of pressure regularly. It tends to make the humor a lot more rough.
I wasn't aware that operating a love hotel involved "a lot of pressure."

More importantly, this kind of "rough humor" falls into the general category of "it's just a prank, bro" frat-boy antics. As in: offensive and humiliating bullying, dressed up as comedy. I'm sure it's still acceptable in some circles, but in general, we stopped recognizing this as fair play around the same time that we recognized bullying as a serious issue, rather than "boys will be boys."

Megumi doesn't seem to be having fun. You'd think that with Megumi being literally a few minutes into the biggest identity crisis and moment of vulnerability of her life to date, her blood relative and best friend would have some empathy. Instead, we get this. This sucks.
Running a love hotel probably has some pressure involved. Being a member of a persecuted minority, however, involves quite a lot.

As for empathy...It's very obvious that grandma is doing whatever she can to avoid answering the question. Which to my mind is actually a heck of a lot worse than jokes in poor taste. What Megumi needs is answers, and Grandma is apparently determined not to give them to her. I suspect that's going to blow up on her rather spectacularly.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Roamer wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm
What Megumi needs is answers, and Grandma is apparently determined not to give them to her.
I don't know. Megumi is freaking out over suddenly being a foxgirl. Her reaction to that, asking "how could this happen?!?!", is natural. But getting an answer to that question isn't going address the real problem. She's still going to be a foxgirl no matter if grandma reveals some dark family secret or just shrugs her shoulders in ignorance.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 pm

I would say being a kitsune in the environment of MegaTokyo would be a very stressful situation and being family/support can't be much better. Just because we see them primarily as cute and fluffy doesn't change the fact that they really aren't human and will have different perspectives on almost everything.

richvh

Post by richvh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Captain Button wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:49 pm
Can anyone review the family structures here? There is glasses greatgrandma from 1490 linked above, Komugiko's mom who we saw in some group pic once, Komugiko, and her daughter Yakugashi.

Over here we have allegedly-adopted grandma, and her granddaughter Megumi. Which means there has to be a son or daughter in between.

And there is Ashe, who is also related somehow.

Who else am I forgetting, and how do the two lines connect?

Edit: Characters page says Megumi and Komugiko are cousins, so while Yakugashi calls her "Aunt Megumi" that is not technically correct.
In Japanese culture, middle aged women are often called "oba" or "obasan" (aunt) just like middle aged men are called "oji" or "ojisan" (uncle). Even if they are complete strangers.

On the other hand, we called one of my mother's first cousins by marriage "Aunt Sally" when I was growing up, and there was a family friend we called "Uncle Charlie," so an appeal to Japanese culture isn't needed to explain Komugiko calling her older first cousin once removed (if that is the correct relationship, as "cousin" doesn't necessarily mean "first cousin") "Aunt Megumi."

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:59 am

tambo wrote:

...dang. And I thought the manner in which Largo and Erika were mocking Piro was over the top. :ph34r:
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks Fred. =)
Nicely done!
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am

SO... I'm confused... who did she get "laid" by?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 am

Grandma is a piece of work, and I now empathize with Megs on another level. :( It's a wonder how Megs can be not messed up more emotionally after an upbringing like she had.(Assuming that grandma raised her)

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:48 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am
Welcome, Mayhem.

Megumi didn't get laid last night, but Grandma and Ashe don't know that. They saw that Megumi and Paisen (the guy she picked up at the bar [1577]) got a room at the love hotel, and Ping showed them video of Megumi and Paisen smooching and undressing. They assumed things continued in their natural course.

But Ping's video doesn't go past when Megumi threw her out of the room [1580], and they don't know that Paisen then got a call from his ex and left before he and Megumi got much farther [1582]. So Grandma and Ashe are actually wrong about Megumi having gotten laid, though it was not an unreasonable assumption.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:00 pm

People may be forgetting that grandma was (is?) a prostitute and she's not going to be nearly as closed in regards to intimate matters. Consider the lesson she gave Ping that led to Ping engaging on her fact finding expedition

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Regarding Ping's video, I think one thing to consider is that Ping is apparently always recording. We saw all the video caps she had of Miho when Ping and Junko posted them to the internets [1188], and we've also seen this non-comic illustration of Junko's posse teasing Tounomoto about her secret admirer using video that Ping had recorded [artstation].

Since she had the video already, and since Ping has been actively curious about sex and asking Grandma all kinds of questions anyway, I would have been more surprised if she didn't show it to Grandma and ask questions.

You can make the case that Grandma and Ashe should have told Ping to stop right away, but Grandma has a very earthy sense of humor and doesn't appear to have much in the way of shame about stuff like that. And really, Ping's video wasn't that long and didn't even get beyond the half-undressed and smooching point. Totally understandable for Megumi to be aghast and embarrassed, but I don't think overly badly of Grandma for it, especially since much of what Grandma is teasing Megumi over didn't actually happen.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:24 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:00 pm
People may be forgetting that grandma was (is?) a prostitute and she's not going to be nearly as closed in regards to intimate matters. Consider the lesson she gave Ping that led to Ping engaging on her fact finding expedition
Considering how gullible Ping is in /this/ evolution of her self [887,888] it's technically equal to Grandma having told Ping to make sure to go there to record stuff.

Junko would have second thoughts (see [1414] ) seeing this.

Thank you Fred, for the page :) it's great :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:02 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:48 pm
Mayhem wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am
stuff....<snip>
Thank you.. I guess I had forgotten about that.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Oh my my...

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Looks like Grams is furiously trying to come up with a deflection, and comes up with a way to derail Megumi. Lets see if it sticks, somehow I doubt it. And Megumi, you are not JUST a foxgirl, you are a nine tail, wonder if she has realized that part yet?

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm

BAD PERVY PING! NO RECORDINGS FOR YOU!