[1508] Somewhere we haven't gone before

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

mistersaxon

Re: [1508] Somewhere we haven't gone before

Post by mistersaxon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:48 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm
Ping still needs to work on her eye, though......
... and hide her earblades. I guess they'd go inside the classic Junko twintails, more or less, but it'd look pretty strange.
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

iffy

Post by iffy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:50 pm

We don't really know how much of what kind if any of Ping's original programming in any one or more areas is still intact in the original ways, and not changed around in perhaps some of the same ways her physical form hass. There have been lots of things, like Largo's modifications, interfacing with the two guys and a number of other people all at once in different ways (rather than just a single user in one scenario). Then all the hanging around with Miho that potentially has analogued Ping, and all the goings on with Junko before and after Miho's vanishing and returning and vanishing. Plus the electric shocks and attempts of being destroyed by direct connection.

We know that her information and experiences have changed a lot and we can't necessarily trust that all of Ping's directives are now like how they started out.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm

True, iffy. All those “errors” Piro mentioned way back when could very well have altered Ping’s original programming, especially combined with many more that she must have accumulated over the past couple of weeks (in comic time).

Geez. Now that I stop and think about it, the comic has progressed by...maybe three days? since July 2008. The beginning of Chapter 10, nine days after Miho disappeared.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Then... Junko's 'elder admirer' can't realistically be any of the characters we already know. She clearly has got it going on for some time already.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 pm

(Although the time must have warped somewhere, it can't be 2001 in Megatokyo any more... phones are much too flat :) and PS4 was on Ed's t-shirt. )
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm

It’s funny to look at phones from the very first days of the comic, before iPhones came out. I think Megagamers even had a landline.

...I was about Yuki’s age, and when the main comic’s story ends, I will likely be older than her mother. Good god.

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm
It’s funny to look at phones from the very first days of the comic, before iPhones came out. I think Megagamers even had a landline.
Ayup. I used to carry a Virgin Mobile "K7 Rave" phone.
...I was about Yuki’s age, and when the main comic’s story ends, I will likely be older than her mother. Good god.
Dude, consider yourself fortunate. :) Some of us ain't spring chickens anymore -- I was on the low side of 40 when the strip started, and it won't be too many more years before I'm on the wrong side of 60. And some of the old pharts here are crowding 70 awfully darn hard. :shock:

(Aside to Fred -- the "free ice cream" is still good, and I *am* grateful that the deliveries are more frequent. So, no, I'm not bitching.)

More apropos to the comic at hand: I wonder how much Ping can change her appearance ... not to the point of shape-shifting, but how much can she change, and how quickly?
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 am

mistersaxon wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 am
Isn't this going to be a meeting with the l33t m4st3r? He's older, Junko likes and admires him...
But the part about being mature disqualifies him.

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 am

SpaceCobraJoe wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 am
But the part about being mature disqualifies him.
He has alternative maturity.

On a more serious note, am I the only person who has wondered if Ping's physical changes could allow her to become a real person's double?

Calaron

Post by Calaron » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm

MoneyMan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 am
On a more serious note, am I the only person who has wondered if Ping's physical changes could allow her to become a real person's double?
Within limits. While Ping can change her appearance, voluntarily or not, the variables only go so far: https://megatokyo.com/strip/1487 suggests she's reached about the maximum weight/fatness she can have. It does make sense for a device like Ping to be able to alter her appearance to make the user more comfortable (or interested), but how alike she can become to an actual person probably depends on the ranges that are available for the various... ehr.. variables.

Looking like Junko is *probably* within reach.