[1593] I win

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

tambo

Re: [1593] I win

Post by tambo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Eraden wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Look at the last panel in particular. Look at her eyes and the flood of tears rolling down her face. That does not look like a woman who has it together. That looks like a woman who's about to lose it.
People "lose it" in all sorts of different ways.

From personal experience - every woman I've ever known who has expressed strong emotions has done it in a unique way.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm

COMIC!

...wait, where’s Grandma? Argh. Maybe next comic if Fred doesn’t segue away. Back to current comic.

So Piro did the right thing here in terms of refusing to answer a very personal question, although his demeanor (and Kimiko’s) pretty much answers it for him. Gentlemanly conduct, good job.

Megumi...sigh, poor girl. Focusing on her friend’s story to stave off having to think about the monumental changes in her own. However, I think those tears at the end indicate she’s starting to accept her new circumstances as an awful reality- could a “monster” like her, especially such a powerful one, ever have a regular love life?

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 pm

tambo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:41 am
From Kimiko's perspective, she is scoring the guy she wanted. How about Piro? I see a 20something guy feeling weirdly rejected and not knowing why, and then suddenly having another friend throw herself at him. Emotions and hormones are probably running wild. I just don't think that he is making rational choices about long-term relationships, nor could he expected to be, under the circumstances.

Besides, how much of his decision-making is affected by Kimiko pretending to be Miho? Nothing? That seems to run contrary to the running commentary in 1510 and 1512 and 1519. That's kind of a heavy recurring theme - expressed by three different people - to be dismissed as "nah, they all knew what they were doing."

Miho's panic wasn't about him. Piro currently has no idea what caused it. That misunderstanding will eventually be resolved. What happens next?

1527 is the very tip of this particular loose end. Nothing has been revisited; nobody has closure. It would be weird for this to fizzle out into "okay, he's with Kimiko now, all well and good."
I am with you here. Piro and Miho’s story isn’t over yet, even if they don’t end up together. I think it’s still a tossup whether or not their relationship is ever possible, although he’s obviously going to be with Kimiko for the foreseeable future.

He was pressured into the relationship with Kimiko from all sides. Yes, he eventually “chose” her by joining her in the bathroom, but that was with his conscience right there pushing him into it with both hands, on top of everyone and everything else in his life screaming that he had to be with this girl. Only a few people (Largo, Yuki, Seraphim) were even aware that Piro had a choice to make in the first place. Everyone else, including Miho herself, assumed that Kimiko was his only option and expected them to be together, and that was a whole different kind of pressure.

It remains to be seen how Fred will handle this complicated love triangle. Will he wrap it up by giving them closure and letting them fade into the background permanently because the kitsune saga is so much more interesting? Or will he put them on the back burner and come back to them in a few more years? My guess is the latter. I think the next time they encounter each other (Megagamers, hopefully?) will tell us a lot.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 pm

I think Kimi also 'knows' or deduced from Piro's not_completely_at_ease state, as should be clear from the interview with the broken laptop. That's why she's trying to help Miho. That's why she was 'channeling' Miho and 'playing' the role of Miho, both to the mob and to Pick. Question is, what is her motive... Once upon a time I cooked up that Miho broke up with Piro, because she wanted to save Piro from certain death from the mob, in case he came to Japan to see her at the pre-pre-previous cycle, which he was possibly talking about doing back then (she even caved in to his stalking and gave him the ASC address, only to come to her senses later (or someone told her to ditch him instead? That would have been an interesting line)). Now Kimi had a go at that, but contrary to Miho, Kimi is a now-famous celebrity, who already can't be just shunned away... Or so she thinks, Erika's example shows otherwise....
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

StClair

Post by StClair » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 pm

That is such a broken smile in the last panel. :(

S1arburst

Post by S1arburst » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 pm

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 pm
He was pressured into the relationship with Kimiko from all sides. Yes, he eventually “chose” her by joining her in the bathroom, but that was with his conscience right there pushing him into it with both hands, on top of everyone and everything else in his life screaming that he had to be with this girl.
Right? That bothered me too.
Just call me prissywings

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:40 am

Idk if I was on about this topic before, tl to search ... I actually did, way back...
But thinking about the emotional link between characters, as a sign of, so to say, infatuation? It seems that quite a strong one can be detected going from Piro to Miho. As in, she loves him. And it seems to have been going only one way, because he doesn't love her. (Yuki detects this link, but being a novice MG, she gets the direction wrong). One example is quite early when Piro had been walking somewhat above a train line and was visibly distraught , it's hard to not think he was considering jumping it... At about the same time, Miho had a fall in school lavatory, rescued by Ping and Largo. Then Miho tried to break that link (or actually revive it ?), by causing a crying scene in the shop (although to her loss, Yuki was there and broke it by telling him the tears were fake). Also see Miho's emotional reaction to Piro berating her, when he rescued Largo from the depths of the Cave of Evil. In the last chapter? Kimi was wearing scenic makeup to make her look like Miho, and the effect of her 'I love you!' (and the snuggles?) was pretty dramatic on Kohl's end; then the icing on the cake of this construction: the effect of Piro helping Kimi flush the toner/makeup, while Miho feels like being goosed, while talking to Ninja Gran. Hence her desire to go and talk to him. Thence will the real choice really happen.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 am

It's been almost three years since Fredrin posted a rant here. There's been a lot of rant worthy tweets on Twitter.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat May 08, 2021 2:24 pm

SpaceCobraJoe wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 am
It's been almost three years since Fredrin posted a rant here. There's been a lot of rant worthy tweets on Twitter.
Back in the day, doing rants on his own website was the way to talk to megatokyo readers. Nowadays there are so many easier and better options. He tweets, he's on the megatokyo discord pretty much every day, he chats on the twitch stream when he's drawing live, and he sometimes writes things on patreon when he posts drawings. There isn't really a need for the rant space on the mt page anymore.

Some of us have been trying to talk him into taking it off the main mt page, putting them in an archive or something. It can be frustrating every time some dipshit tells the internet that mt hasn't updated in 3yrs because they looked at the easy-to-see date on the latest rant rather than the hard-to-see date on the latest comic. Fred has been planning to do a sort of last rant for quite some time now, but who knows when he'll ever have time.

For those who don't follow Fred's tweets or hang out on the discord, things are likely to be slow for another month. His bus job got extended to early June, after which he'll be laid off for the rest of the summer and hopefully he'll be able to spend more time on mt. He had expected this bus job to part-time, but it turned out to be nearly fulltime, which has made it a lot harder to comic. Sarah hasn't found a new job yet (she got laid off when the pandemic hit) and they can't pay the bills only on what mt brings in. Hopefully she'll be able to find something soon as the economy comes back so he can spend less time driving a bus and more time doing the comic. Fred's frustrated and unhappy about not being able to sit at his desk and comic, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hopefully better days are ahead.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am

So what you're saying is that the diehard fans here don't matter?
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 am

Ningen 2 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am
Absolutely not, and I'm terribly sorry if I sounded like I meant that. That wasn't my intention.

Diehard forum folk matter. If y'all didn't matter, he would have just let the old forum die when it had all those server problems years ago rather than asking klange and darkmorford to put in all the work it took to set up this new forum. If y'all didn't matter, I wouldn't be putting in all the time it takes to keep this place reasonably spam-free.

There are other places to talk MT, like the megatokyo discord, or r/megatokyo, or the facebook page. But Fred (and I) thinks the forum provides something that those other places don't, and even though the activity is a shadow of what it once was, it's worth keeping alive because of you folks.

But keeping the forum alive doesn't really take any of Fred's time. It takes him seconds to tweet or say something on discord. He can do it on break while he sits on the bus and sketches. If he's already livedrawing on twitch, or posting a comic to patreon or facebook, it takes him not much longer to type a comment while he's at it. But the hours of agonized wordsmithing it takes him to do a rant... I know it shouldn't be that hard, but in practice it is for him. I hope you'd agree that we'd all rather have him spending those hours on the comic, especially when he's so short on time for MT at all.

But that's largely just my opinion. We haven't removed the rant section from teh main site because Fred doesn't want to do that. I think he would like to do rants again, if he ever had the time. Maybe he will.

MT fans are what keeps MT alive, and Fred is tremendously grateful for that. As am I.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 am

Ningen 2 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am
I misread that as "diehard fans here don't natter". In fact, some of us here natter like a nutter. :lol:

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 pm

I can't access Discord, Reddit, or FB from here(work), so the forums is all I have. I'm probably not the only one. I am very thankful for the new forums.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat May 15, 2021 10:28 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 pm
I can't access Discord, Reddit, or FB from here(work), so the forums is all I have. I'm probably not the only one. I am very thankful for the new forums.
the forums are still a major focus though the chat in the Twitch stream is usually pretty insightful and on rare occasion something comes up in Discord.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun May 16, 2021 7:50 am

Re discord, i only ever accessed it via webpage (and with private mode cc) so all you need is remember your username and password. No extra program required.

But I personally like to hang out in the forum better myself - my only regret is that Fred seems to be more on Twitter than here or even ranting at the main page (says man who has not updated his rant section in over a year on the translation page...) .

Maybe the main page needs something like an embedded Fred's Twitter stream section, e.g. to the side of the existing frames of rant? That way the rant section would not look deserted any more. And/or embedded discord section. Add them above or besides of the rant panels ( as someone who still reads on desktop wide screen, this can still transition to more rows of panels on mobile view, some html assembly required).
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu May 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Given some of the observations here I'm going to go with my theory that Piro and Megumi are going to make a connection. Just as Pirovision allows him to ignore the craziness in MegaTokyo I think he's going to be able to look past those gorgeous fluffy tails and see the woman who is hurting and has been hurting for years
Empathy is probably Piro's superpower.