[1593] I win

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1593] I win

Post by paarfi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: [1593] I win

Post by paarfi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:58 pm

That's a very MegaTokyo way of winning. :(
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 pm

I can’t help but think that Piro’s coupling with Kimiko while she is channeling Miho has something to do with Megumi manifesting her true form

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:09 am

F5, F5, F5... finally! Thank you for the new Page, Fred~!

Piro: "What, you seriously expected me to do the worked-to-the-bone-or-to-verge-of-death-so-much-that-I-have-no-time-for-romance-mangaka trope?"

Sorry, I just re-read Bakuman...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 am

Yeah,with his knowledge of shōjo manga you would hope he got that right. I also like to think he is gentleman enough for that to have been his instinctive response. Full marks anyway.

On another note, d20 as knees ftw! (sorry Fred). Some lovely expressions, though. I particularly liked panels 6 and 7.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

Tsukai

Post by Tsukai » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:43 am

Yep, saw it coming.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:53 am

Poor Megs, she won by losing.... :(

zircher

Post by zircher » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 pm

I love how her anger melted as the page progressed. Well done and conveyed.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 am
Yeah,with his knowledge of shōjo manga you would hope he got that right. I also like to think he is gentleman enough for that to have been his instinctive response. Full marks anyway.
It's not just "shojo manga" (sorry, don't have those diacritical marks on my keyboard), it's the proper way to say "that's crossing a line" in most of real life (and it was). Applause to Piro for setting Megumi straight on that subject.

The only thing left for him to do now is to assure Megumi that she'll get hers.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:28 pm

Yay! New page! Thanks, Fred! =)

Erm… "Nanasawa is a good friend. She’s a stupid idiot."

I seriously wonder if Piro’s reply to that one is really going to be "Don't worry, you'll get some — eventually."

And I hope Kimi didn't overhear Megumi’s description — and, if she did, that she knows just how Megumi meant it. So…

Go Fred! Go next page! =D
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

chemi

Post by chemi » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Fred is gonna dodge the big question until the heat death of the universe.

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:49 pm

what a long and winded way to say 'I can neither confirm nor deny'.... though to be fair I am just as long winded and have used similar phrasing in an instance where I did NOT get laid.
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Damn....those last three panels show a person rapidly sinking towards a nervous breakdown. This is what I have been fearing all along. Should Megumi completely lose it, she might cause a massive amount of damage if her power has fully manifested. I am not looking forward to seeing the next strip.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm

chemi wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm
I think that he's answered the question pretty well

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:57 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm
chemi wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm
I think that he's answered the question pretty well
A gentleman never kisses and tells.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:23 pm

She needs a hug, badly, but Poor is the wrong person to give it to her.

Kimiko can help, but she's still not quite what she needs.

I hope she find the one she needs soon.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 pm

It makes me think of a scene from Live and Let Die (1973)

Mr. Big: I got my own plans for you, baby. But first, there's one little question that he wants answered for him.

James Bond: In that case, you better ship me back to the island and let him ask in person. I'm not in the habit of giving answers to... lackeys.

Mr. Big: You damn lucky you got an ear left to hear the question with! Which is, did you mess with that?

[indicates Solitaire]

James Bond: Assuming you mean what I think...

[Mr. Big nods impatiently]

James Bond: ... That's between Solitaire and myself
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:35 am

OH JEEBUS!
I sense the sinking dread of spiraling fear madness.
Fight the dying of the light, Megumi!

tambo

Post by tambo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Bottom-left panel: lolsob at "winning" the competition.

Bottom-right panel: authentic satisfaction about her friend's happiness. The fact that she can set aside her trauma over her stunning realization just a few moments ago, and take such joy in her friend's fulfillment, is genuinely touching.

Also: in view of her newfound godly powers, heaven help anyone who Megumi believes to have wronged Kimiko. Biblical woe incoming.

The character development and love triangle that have developed over the past 18 months are certainly shaping up to explode. Miho drafted by Erika into a Girl Phase reboot, with Moeko possibly providing from the astral plane; Kimiko backed by Megumi. Piro likely doesn't realize the gravity of the situation yet, but... he probably will soon. I don't envy him.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 pm

@tambo Honestly, I'd expect him to stay with Kimiko. He is over the relationship with Tohoya; she just has to resolve her issues.

The main risk I'd see would be Kimiko trying to 'sacrifice' herself for Tohoya's happiness, but I really don't see Poor letting her go through with it. Tohoya did betray him pretty badly, all told. Even though she may have grown since then, she can go find someone else.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:03 am

tambo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 pm
Bottom-left panel: lolsob at "winning" the competition.

Bottom-right panel: authentic satisfaction about her friend's happiness. The fact that she can set aside her trauma over her stunning realization just a few moments ago, and take such joy in her friend's fulfillment, is genuinely touching.

Also: in view of her newfound godly powers, heaven help anyone who Megumi believes to have wronged Kimiko. Biblical woe incoming.

The character development and love triangle that have developed over the past 18 months are certainly shaping up to explode. Miho drafted by Erika into a Girl Phase reboot, with Moeko possibly providing from the astral plane; Kimiko backed by Megumi. Piro likely doesn't realize the gravity of the situation yet, but... he probably will soon. I don't envy him.
Tambo, I would say that those last three panels show a woman who is RAPIDLY transitioning from happiness for her friend to outright despair over her own situation. She looks to be literally only moments away from a full breakdown. If that happens, she is more likely to start lashing out at ANYTHING around her, even Kimiko, unless she can somehow manage to keep something of her wits about her.

tambo

Post by tambo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:41 am

He is over the relationship with Tohoya; she just has to resolve her issues.
Okay, looking back - 1437 is their last interaction, before Miho is whisked away by Junpei.

Piro's story goes: 1455: Kimiko hatches a plan to pretend to be Miho. 1459: Piro plays out this scene with Kimiko, which rather escalates in 1463 (for dramatic purposes) and 1480 (not for dramatic purposes) and 1512 (opportunistic snogging).

From Kimiko's perspective, she is scoring the guy she wanted. How about Piro? I see a 20something guy feeling weirdly rejected and not knowing why, and then suddenly having another friend throw herself at him. Emotions and hormones are probably running wild. I just don't think that he is making rational choices about long-term relationships, nor could he expected to be, under the circumstances.

Besides, how much of his decision-making is affected by Kimiko pretending to be Miho? Nothing? That seems to run contrary to the running commentary in 1510 and 1512 and 1519. That's kind of a heavy recurring theme - expressed by three different people - to be dismissed as "nah, they all knew what they were doing."

Miho's panic wasn't about him. Piro currently has no idea what caused it. That misunderstanding will eventually be resolved. What happens next?

1527 is the very tip of this particular loose end. Nothing has been revisited; nobody has closure. It would be weird for this to fizzle out into "okay, he's with Kimiko now, all well and good."
Last edited by tambo on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tambo

Post by tambo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 am

Eraden wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:03 am
Tambo, I would say that those last three panels show a woman who is RAPIDLY transitioning from happiness for her friend to outright despair over her own situation. She looks to be literally only moments away from a full breakdown.
Really? She seems a lot more coherent in this whole page than she was two pages ago.

Megumi isn't Miho - she has a tendency to direct her grief inward (1583). Of course, everybody's got their limits and all bets are off as to what's gonna happen when Grandma shows up.

Besides, MT just did "unconstrained category-5 personal freakout" in 1442, 1444, 1445. Five years ago (practically to the day) IRL, but like last week in MT-time. It would be kind of disappointing to have Megumi's arc take the same path.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm

tambo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 am
Eraden wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:03 am
Tambo, I would say that those last three panels show a woman who is RAPIDLY transitioning from happiness for her friend to outright despair over her own situation. She looks to be literally only moments away from a full breakdown.
Really? She seems a lot more coherent in this whole page than she was two pages ago.

Megumi isn't Miho - she has a tendency to direct her grief inward (1583). Of course, everybody's got their limits and all bets are off as to what's gonna happen when Grandma shows up.

Besides, MT just did "unconstrained category-5 personal freakout" in 1442, 1444, 1445. Five years ago (practically to the day) IRL, but like last week in MT-time. It would be kind of disappointing to have Megumi's arc take the same path.
Look at the last panel in particular. Look at her eyes and the flood of tears rolling down her face. That does not look like a woman who has it together. That looks like a woman who's about to lose it.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Given some of the observations here I'm going to go with my theory that Piro and Megumi are going to make a connection. Just as Pirovision allows him to ignore the craziness in MegaTokyo I think he's going to be able to look past those gorgeous fluffy tails and see the woman who is hurting and has been hurting for years