[1592] I just didn't know

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1592] I just didn't know

Post by paarfi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1592] I just didn't know

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am

This exceeds all of my expectations

Also, in the midst of a meltdown. Realizing something about herself and understanding things about herself that she'd never understood before. Megumi shows care for her friend

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am
This exceeds all of my expectations

Also, in the midst of a meltdown. Realizing something about herself and understanding things about herself that she'd never understood before. Megumi shows care for her friend
It's a win-win. She gets to congratulate Kimiko or chew out Piro. Either way, it's a distraction from a day that is, in fact, worse than yesterday.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 pm

EEEEEE COMIC

Okay, so we know exactly nothing more than we did in the last comic except that the minimum number of tails required to hide them is four (not three, I was mistaken), and that Megumi is still able to give Piro shit while she’s going through the worst experience of her life so far, but...well, it’s something.

Grandma can’t get there fast enough.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 am

Thank you for the new page Fred :) splendid as always.

So... at what tail level do they become self-aware? So they hide by their own will, until they think the time is to come out?
And did they REALLY get triggered out of hiding by the events of yesterday?

Also half-expecting a full page top-to-bottom shot of Gumi with all her tails abloom at some point, now THAT would be awesome.

(also, I imagine Piro's answer to be 'We tried but we were a bit sore from all the falls and my back from the glass on the back seat, so it kinda didn't work... but she was OK with it (blush)" )

(edit 2: what if THE act of K+P doing 'it' (or even trying and failing as indicated above) was part of, or the trigger that set Gumi's tails free?)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:07 am

I wonder how he will respond?
1) That is personal between him and Kimiko
2) Lie to her
3) Spill his guts to her

Depending on his answer we may see Kimzilla released.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:20 am

I'll be honest, I don't believe that Piro is going to lie to Megumi for any reason and it's possible that he CAN'T lie to her.

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:24 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am
Megumi shows care for her friend
That was my first thought seeing this in patreon last night. I am loving Megumi here; her whole world has been shattered, but she still pulls it together enough to find out how her friends are doing.

She may express it a bit crudely, and one could argue forever MT-forum style over whether it's deliberate (to put Piro off-balance) or she actually has a little crude streak in her. But ignoring the crude phrasing and digging through to the intent behind it, this shows a sweet caring side to Megumi that's been part of her character in a straight line all the way back to the Anna Miller's fiasco, when she railed on Piro for being a dumbass for showing up at all but immediately stepped in to help him now that he had shown up.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 pm

1. Getting real personal there, Megumi. Are you sure it's your business to ask?

2. No, you're not a monster. Your heart proves this.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Ooooooh, new comic!!! =D
Thank you, Fred!!!

Honestly, it did not quite sound like "caring for friends" in my ears when she asked, "Did you do her?"
In fact, to me, she sounded a little bit jealous.

She knows how her own date ended up, and it looked to me like she is trying to find °something° at the very least that would make the shattering of her world- and self- views just a little bit more bearable. Less lonely. I hardly think she expects a "Yes" from Piro — truthful or not.

I’m °not° saying that I think she doesn’t genuinely care for her friends. She has shown her care already.
I just think "Did you do her?" conveys something other than her care for others…

But that’s just my interpretation on first read.
Having read the above conversation, I admit it °might° as well show her care for her friends.

We’ll have to wait and see… if the truth about her intent behind that question ever comes out. Looking forward to the next page, as ever!!!

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm

At this point I am even more ticked off at the clan matriarch than I've ever been before. From what I have seen in this comic, most people that interact with kitsune in this world, are either neutral to them or maybe even somewhat positive (Kimiko would fall under the positive category). Perhaps the authorities are more negative and we know for sure the ninja are quite negative about them, but we also know for sure that the clan matriarch has been trying to beat a dismal view of kitsune into her clan members. She has been constantly telling her members that they are "monsters". This may have upset Mugi. It sure as hell has upset Yaku. If Megumi was privy to any of these chats, her world views would be seriously warped by them as well. That matriarch can go get her head boiled in oil for all I care. She has left a trail of hurt so deep throughout her clan that I seriously wonder if she isn't doing it more harm than good.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Eraden wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm
Perhaps the authorities are more negative and we know for sure the ninja are quite negative about them, but we also know for sure that the clan matriarch has been trying to beat a dismal view of kitsune into her clan members.
This is a wider society thing, and not so much the fault of great-grandma 8-tail. Look at the first two comics of TTDP, where Masamichi calls Chokky a monster and sends her out to track down other monsters. Fred's going for something larger here, I think.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Fred is addressing very large and serious concepts while using some lighthearted tropes

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Megatokyo has an apartheid system, maintained by Stability, regarding animal-people in general. TTDP is pretty explicit about it. However, I also think there’s more to it.

Megumi could be upset at least partially because her status in society has changed for the worse (at least until she figures out how to re-hide her tails and ears), but given what we learned from Mugi and Yaku’s visit to Grandma Eight-Tail (which was a long time ago and I don’t have time to dig through the archives right now), there appears to be a deeper reason kitsune are called monsters. We just don’t know what it is yet.

(also woo, I wasn’t wrong about the three tails after all, it changed between the Patreon email and final comic)

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:31 pm

paarfi wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm
Eraden wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm
Perhaps the authorities are more negative and we know for sure the ninja are quite negative about them, but we also know for sure that the clan matriarch has been trying to beat a dismal view of kitsune into her clan members.
This is a wider society thing, and not so much the fault of great-grandma 8-tail. Look at the first two comics of TTDP, where Masamichi calls Chokky a monster and sends her out to track down other monsters. Fred's going for something larger here, I think.
It's one thing for the rest of society to look down upon you. It's entirely another for your own family members, especially the head of the family, to do the same. Mugi, Ashe and Yaku have demonstrated to me no ACTIONS that would indicate to me that they are "monsters". Labelling them as such and spreading that opinion throughout the clan is reprehensible. To me, this is no different than an African American using the N-word in the most derogatory fashion to describe family members of the same color. In that kind of charged atmosphere, there is nowhere for family members that are being mocked to turn to in order to escape the crushing of their spirits. My apologies, but I still do not like the matriarch one bit.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Oh, Megumi... you and I would get along so very well.

She wants a blow by blow description!

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Piro is addressing Kim as Kimoko-san??? All things considered that's a bit more formal than the current circumstances warrant. @_@

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 am

Just as an addendum to my earlier post, I wonder if the clan matriarch is simply projecting her own monstrosity (she is a murderer after all) on the other kitsune in order to justify her own actions and to give herself some comfort.

StClair

Post by StClair » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:41 am

I think some of it is that Megumi would rather talk about anything but herself right now, and this subject is an excellent distraction. For both of them.

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 am

Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:26 pm
Piro is addressing Kim as Kimoko-san??? All things considered that's a bit more formal than the current circumstances warrant. @_@
Maybe because they aren't in private?
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:46 am

Rapierman wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 pm
1. Getting real personal there, Megumi. Are you sure it's your business to ask?
Megumi's invested a great deal in this project. As a principal shareholder, it's not unreasonable for her to expect a report from her executives at this point.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:53 pm

mistersaxon wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 am
Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:26 pm
Maybe because they aren't in private?
Piro has always been rather excessively formal in Japanese. See [724]-[725].
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

Tsukai

Post by Tsukai » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:02 am

gosh darnit if they didn't fuck I'll be so mad

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:45 pm

Whomever is at the root of this belief by the Kitsune that simply being who and what they are makes them monsters, they need a long series of swift, hard kicks to the groin. Male, female, AI, whatever, don't care. Kicking. Simply the realization that this is who she is has taken on of the most resilient, consistently driven people we know of and turned her into someone literally unable to face the world. Not ok.

Maybe Komu will let her 'borrow' Junpei for the purposes of delivering the kicking. I don't think he'll mind.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:38 am

Roamer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Whomever is at the root of this belief by the Kitsune that simply being who and what they are makes them monsters, they need a long series of swift, hard kicks to the groin. Male, female, AI, whatever, don't care. Kicking. Simply the realization that this is who she is has taken on of the most resilient, consistently driven people we know of and turned her into someone literally unable to face the world. Not ok.

Maybe Komu will let her 'borrow' Junpei for the purposes of delivering the kicking. I don't think he'll mind.
I most heartily concur, Roamer. Should it indeed be the clan matriarch who spread this nonsense within the clan, I can only hope that Mugi, backed up by her cousin with her new found power, verbally tears into that hag for all the hurt she has caused over the years.