Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1590] beautiful

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:44 pm

cidjen wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:08 am

My hypothesis is that Piro and Kimiko are now headed for a breakup. There's still the matter of Miho and Kimiko knows that she interjected herself into something. Personally I'll be shipping Piro x Megumi if he makes clean breaks with Kimiko and Miho. Harem is way too complicated for Piro
So, like, 3rd time lucky huh? FIrst time - a long distance with Miho. Second - second base with Kimi ... Don't tell me Gumi will be satisfied being 3rd :P

(Besides Gumi has Junpei on her mind right now, so. Not so fast, tiger.)
Oh he's hit a home run with Kimi, knocked it out of the park and can take a victory lap. Thing is that I am thinking that Kimi is not that stable and the whole Kimi-zilla thing is about the emotional abuse she's inflict afterward. I think Piro is already sensing it

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:05 pm

I love how everyone's brain turns off in the last two panels while Kimiko looks absolutely delighted. This reveal must have been a secret to just about everybody who should have known. I can't wait to see the reactions of the other members of the fox-clan to this development, if only to know who might have been in on it. I'm still waiting for Fred to narrate what this all means.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am
My hypothesis is that Piro is breaking stories right and left.

He's broken Miho's story and now Yaku and Erika are going to attempt to write her a new one.

Tangentially to Miho's story being broken we now have Moeko's story being broken with her handing off her wand to Erika
Kimiko was acting as a conduit between Miho and Piro which further facilitated the change in direction for Miho's story

Now Megu's glamor that concealed her true nature has dropped. What do we see her doing when this goes away? Well she wakes up and is immediately concerned about whether or not Piro and Kimi had sex.

BTW Piro and Kimi NOT having sex would screw up the flow quite badly IMHO
Based on this, you're saying he's an Agent of Change. It's consistent - an Agent doesn't need to be directly involved, his influence is sufficient. Amusing, because Piro would make a terrible first-in scout.

If the above was confusing you're not reading enough SF. Kindle version is free right now. Serendipity! (Not an ad, I just appreciate good stories.)
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:44 pm
cidjen wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 am
Invisigoth wrote:

My hypothesis is that Piro and Kimiko are now headed for a breakup. There's still the matter of Miho and Kimiko knows that she interjected herself into something. Personally I'll be shipping Piro x Megumi if he makes clean breaks with Kimiko and Miho. Harem is way too complicated for Piro
So, like, 3rd time lucky huh? FIrst time - a long distance with Miho. Second - second base with Kimi ... Don't tell me Gumi will be satisfied being 3rd :P

(Besides Gumi has Junpei on her mind right now, so. Not so fast, tiger.)
Oh he's hit a home run with Kimi, knocked it out of the park and can take a victory lap. Thing is that I am thinking that Kimi is not that stable and the whole Kimi-zilla thing is about the emotional abuse she's inflict afterward. I think Piro is already sensing it
Except I just can't see Erika not warning someone who's helped her about abuse of that sort. I can see her being unstable and prone to mood swings, but abuse would be a much larger step.
Last edited by Roamer on Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
mistersaxon wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:33 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am
My hypothesis is that Piro is breaking stories right and left.
[...]

BTW Piro and Kimi NOT having sex would screw up the flow quite badly IMHO
Flow of what, exactly?
You might have something, but I think Piro's too loyal to his SO's for it to happen quickly, unless he really can't handle Kimi-zilla. And Miho did say she wanted to see him, so there's a fun complication for you.

Could Piro be a moderating influence on Megu? If he can't moderate the K-Z, I can't see how he is supposed to handle a nine-tail Kitsune.

Now, I could see Komu telling Junpei that Megu needs him more than she does, but I don't see Junpei going for that...it violates of the 'way of Love'. I'm pretty sure the rogue Ninja can outstubborn the smitten foxgirl, and Yaku would be pulling for him as well.

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:25 am

Roamer wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Now, I could see Komu telling Junpei that Megu needs him more than she does, but I don't see Junpei going for that...it violates of the 'way of Love'. I'm pretty sure the rogue Ninja can outstubborn the smitten foxgirl, and Yaku would be pulling for him as well.
Junpei and 'Mugi, not Megumi, surely? I know he's young but he has exquisite taste and Mugi is more than just a job to him I feel. Megumi, OTOH, can simply wish up her perfect man with a swish of her tails - she mamanged it last night with someone else's tail!
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:06 am

mistersaxon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:25 am
Roamer wrote:

Junpei and 'Mugi, not Megumi, surely? I know he's young but he has exquisite taste and Mugi is more than just a job to him I feel. Megumi, OTOH, can simply wish up her perfect man with a swish of her tails - she mamanged it last night with someone else's tail!
Yeah, but Mugi saw how Megumi reacted to meeting Junpei for the first time. Maybe she's never seen a ninja before - she's never seen one that size before for sure - but Megumi's reaction was, um, rather memorable. I mean, we have seen Mugi drool, but she was injured and on painkillers at the time.

Zandra

Post by Zandra » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:54 am

The reactions on their faces are PRICELESS!! i love the fan girling kimiko is doing. :D
I WAS the Owner of Wolfboys 800th post but SOMEBODY had to go and get a new Forum lol!

Selvius

Post by Selvius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Kimiko is adorable in this, but I agree that her predictably Zilla-esque response is becoming concerning.

To whomever said Kimi doesn’t have a personality of her own: I think that might be backwards. She feels everything too much and knows it. She’s said so herself. I think she uses the characters to express the emotions she doesn’t think she should feel.

I don’t know if it’s a Fred choice or just happenstance, but Kimiko has all the hallmarks of “quiet” or self-directed Borderline Personality Disorder. Intense emotions, impulsive/risky behavior, self-harm (or in this case self-sacrifice, for the character, for Miho, etc.), self-blame, anger (both self-directed and at the radio hosts/fanboys/Piro), unstable relationships with fear of abandonment, self-sabotage, dissociation (“becoming” Miho, etc.), and so on.

Having said all that, I’m not sure it’s fair to label Kimiko as abusive from what we’ve seen. Saying something cruel one time out of misdirected anger, and immediately regretting it, is a pretty common reaction to stress. If it becomes a pattern, then I think we can break out that scarlet A.

The strange thing is that her (theoretical) illness is what gives her power in this world. She can summon up all that emotional energy and pour it into her acting, influencing the world around her in a way that’s both very real and uniquely MegaTokyo. It may also be her undoing, which... would be very sad.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Roamer wrote:

Could Piro be a moderating influence on Megu? If he can't moderate the K-Z, I can't see how he is supposed to handle a nine-tail Kitsune.
Moderating... Could as well mean slowing down so as to increase the probability of chain reaction, like water or other kind of moderator would slow neutrons down in the nuclear reactor ;)

( But in Invisigoths' analogy, Piro would rather be a neutron...)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

nexxo

Post by nexxo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:31 pm

Actually, I think that Megumi is fully self-aware of her nine-tailed fox-ness, but habitually wears a glamour to hide this to avoid the unwelcome attentions that this tends to bring. Her shock (and Ashe's) may be more at the fact that it somehow "turned off" and her true nature has been exposed.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that Piro 100% handled Kimi-zilla. I just don't think he really wants to have to deal with the drama. The juice ain't worth the squeeze

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 am

Somehow your wording reminded me of a local invasive species, the "Himalayan" blackberry. Some genius found a particularly vigorous Armenian cultivar, and sold it all around the Pacific Northwest under the more-exotic-sounding name a century and change ago. Yes, they're sweet and juicy - and classified as a noxious weed here in WA.

Once the seed is planted, if left to its own devices it quickly chokes out other plant life and produces impenetrable thorny thickets.
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 am

Selvius wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 pm
Kimiko is adorable in this, but I agree that her predictably Zilla-esque response is becoming concerning.
[...]
The strange thing is that her (theoretical) illness is what gives her power in this world. She can summon up all that emotional energy and pour it into her acting, influencing the world around her in a way that’s both very real and uniquely MegaTokyo. It may also be her undoing, which... would be very sad.
I think it would be reasonable to characterise a lot of actors and actresses as having this "superpower". In fact, maybe acting is a symptom of this superpower? It's not the only condition that can manifest symptoms of thespianism of course, and mostly this is ok for society, even as it's tough on the actrice (yes I made that up) and their nearest and dearest.

Of course, we have a flamethrower in case someone lapses into Mime...

Also, a general observation - going super-fan over lots of fluffiness is not a 'Zilla thing. It's more like Asako, who is a destructive force of nature in a very different way (wrecking hearts mainly).
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:

Splobucket

Post by Splobucket » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:35 pm

You know what would be amazing! A relationship chart between all the characters. I've been reading since the inception of this page and whew! It can be hard to keep track!

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 pm

Splobucket wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:35 pm
You know what would be amazing! A relationship chart between all the characters. I've been reading since the inception of this page and whew! It can be hard to keep track!
You know the connect-the-dots pictures often found on children’s menus at chain restaurants? Now imagine one of those being scribbled on with four different crayons by a particularly enthusiastic 3yo.

Boom, Megatokyo character chart.

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 am

You know.... I actually thought about doing that one day... back while Miho was still in the analog support facility... (yeah.... a long time ago) and I realized very fast it would be a gigantic spider web of chaos with how much everyone is connected.
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Willfon

Post by Willfon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:13 pm

nexxo wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:31 pm
Actually, I think that Megumi is fully self-aware of her nine-tailed fox-ness, but habitually wears a glamour to hide this to avoid the unwelcome attentions that this tends to bring. Her shock (and Ashe's) may be more at the fact that it somehow "turned off" and her true nature has been exposed.
In the last pane, where Megumi is apparently looking at herself in a mirror down the hall, it very much looks like she is past a surpsise like "oh, I forgot to wear a skirt and jumper to school". That look of surprise is a "oh my, that person down the hall is not a poster or a painting, that is … me?" sort of look.

That is a Freeky Friday look or a "I'm a replicant" look. That is a Ranma 1/2 first transformation surprise look. That is the look of a girl little who woke up one morning and found she had skipped ten years and now has body parts she didn't go to sleep with.

This could go anywhere.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Willfon wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:13 pm
In the last pane, where Megumi is apparently looking at herself in a mirror down the hall,
No, that's Ashe (the deaf foxgirl) that Megumi's looking at in the last panel. Zildjian t-shirt, ponytail, ear piercings, one tail.

edit to add: Ashe was bringing up the clothes that Piro and Kimiko requested in [1588]. The thump in the last panel is her dropping those in surprise at seeing Megumi as foxgirl.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm

I had a thought, and I don’t think has been brought up. It’s hard to tell the actual timeline of events, but it seems that Megumi’s ears and tails manifest at about the same time Erica unseals and is given Moeko’s wand. This reminds me of the return of the dragons in ‘The Song of Ice and Fire’ bringing magic back to the land as seen by the lighting of the obsidian candle in the Citadel in Oldtown.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:32 am

jkhartl wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm
I had a thought, and I don’t think has been brought up. It’s hard to tell the actual timeline of events, but it seems that Megumi’s ears and tails manifest at about the same time Erica unseals and is given Moeko’s wand. This reminds me of the return of the dragons in ‘The Song of Ice and Fire’ bringing magic back to the land as seen by the lighting of the obsidian candle in the Citadel in Oldtown.
You're talking about an increase in available power orders of magnitude greater than would already be present. With the displays of power we've already seen from the magical girls the idea of that much more power being available would be terrifying.

For example, all the other kitsune would be more powerful. Many of them seem to suffer from poor impulse control. The ninja clan VS powered up Yaku = a large bodycount. (Powered up Ashe equals all cell phones within a kilometer are instantly destroyed when she gets annoyed. Heh.)

Splobucket

Post by Splobucket » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:18 pm

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 pm
Splobucket wrote:
You know the connect-the-dots pictures often found on children’s menus at chain restaurants? Now imagine one of those being scribbled on with four different crayons by a particularly enthusiastic 3yo.

Fred's got to have one of these to keep organized... right? RIGHT???

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:46 am

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 pm
Splobucket wrote:

I thought you wrote MegaTokyo Character ART. My bad...

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 pm

IMHO the triggering event was Piro saving Miho which resulted in her receiving a pacemaker and changing her story. Don't forget that Megumi was there when the switch out between Kimiko and Miho went down. She didn't fully manifest until she cried herself to sleep.

Miho's story changing directly influenced Moeko and allowed her to contact Erika and give her the wand as well. If you recall Moeko visited Miho in a near death experience after she and Yaku landed in the river after escaping the ninja compound

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 pm
IMHO the triggering event was Piro saving Miho which resulted in her receiving a pacemaker and changing her story. Don't forget that Megumi was there when the switch out between Kimiko and Miho went down. She didn't fully manifest until she cried herself to sleep.

Miho's story changing directly influenced Moeko and allowed her to contact Erika and give her the wand as well. If you recall Moeko visited Miho in a near death experience after she and Yaku landed in the river after escaping the ninja compound
I think it was sooner than that. back in 1018, Miho mentioned that she had never rescued anyone before. Then in 1032, Miho mentioned that *it's* different this time. Very different. Because Miho made the choice to rescue Kimiko for the sake of Piro, she changed the whole direction of her own story, creating a whole new path.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:47 am

maldrul wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:34 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 pm

I think it was sooner than that. back in 1018, Miho mentioned that she had never rescued anyone before. Then in 1032, Miho mentioned that *it's* different this time. Very different. Because Miho made the choice to rescue Kimiko for the sake of Piro, she changed the whole direction of her own story, creating a whole new path.
That's an excellent point and one that follows my idea of Piro being an agent for change. I still hold that the ultimate turning point was when Miho didn't die and that set in motion the previously mentioned events with Megumi and Moeko

Perhaps "everyone will hate Piro" doesn't at all refer to the readers but to the TPCD because he royally wrecked the system they had in place