[1587] problem multiplication

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1587] problem multiplication

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main page and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1587] problem multiplication

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 am

Megumi is do adorable and caring. When she thinks of problems it's not herself she thinks of but other people. Even if they are idiots....

Arent

Post by Arent » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 am
Megumi is do adorable and caring. When she thinks of problems it's not herself she thinks of but other people. Even if they are idiots....
Maybe, but she also simply left Ashe alone.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Arent wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 am
Invisigoth wrote:
In fairness there were hormones.....

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 pm
Arent wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 am
Invisigoth wrote:
In fairness there were hormones.....
And a desperate need for a change of scenery, and maybe some lingering embarrassment.

And as far as that last panel is concerned, truer words were never spoken...I think it's just possible that Miho may have some competition in the 'most pursued' category, depending on how dangerous, powerful, and/or uncontrollable a nine-tail is believed to be. Also, how the heck did she tie that ribbon on her head without discovering her new ears?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Seriously, she's so distracted genuinely worrying about Kimiko and Piro that she missed it. OTOH perhaps she's been experiencing "phantom ears and tails" for her entire life and isn't aware

Arent

Post by Arent » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:16 pm

And as far as that last panel is concerned, truer words were never spoken...I think it's just possible that Miho may have some competition in the 'most pursued' category, depending on how dangerous, powerful, and/or uncontrollable a nine-tail is believed to be. Also, how the heck did she tie that ribbon on her head without discovering her new ears?
I would wager that the TCPD will become aware of her and her day will become much more "disastrous" than her night.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 pm

Up until this point Sonada Yuki has been the most powerful entity in MegaTokyo. Yep more powerful than Miho who very nearly destroyed the entire city by accident TWICE. You saw how the TPCD reacted to Yuki's appearance when she shoplifted a zombified 'zilla . Megumi is several orders of magnitude more powerful than either Miho, Yuki or Moeko. Moeko is of course a special case since she's not been able to directly influence anything before her meeting with Erika.

So, the prudent thing for the TPCD to do is present Megumi with a nice gift basket full of her favorite snacks and things and welcome her with as much sincerity as they can muster

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Up until this point Sonada Yuki has been the most powerful entity in MegaTokyo. Yep more powerful than Miho who very nearly destroyed the entire city by accident TWICE. You saw how the TPCD reacted to Yuki's appearance when she shoplifted a zombified 'zilla . Megumi is several orders of magnitude more powerful than either Miho, Yuki or Moeko. Moeko is of course a special case since she's not been able to directly influence anything before her meeting with Erika.

So, the prudent thing for the TPCD to do is present Megumi with a nice gift basket full of her favorite snacks and things and welcome her with as much sincerity as they can muster
Or an overwhelming first strike before she can figure out how powerful she is. Being several orders of magnitude more powerful actually does make her a threat to the survival of the city itself...or the only thing that could save it against a powerful antagonist.

A powerful antagonist may in fact be one of the prerequisites for a nine-tail to appear. As well as a very good reason for the TCPD to play nice. "Um...hello there...please accept this gift with our compliments, we're busy checking our scanners to figure out who you're here to stomp on. Please don't be us."

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm
Invisigoth wrote:

Or an overwhelming first strike before she can figure out how powerful she is. Being several orders of magnitude more powerful actually does make her a threat to the survival of the city itself...or the only thing that could save it against a powerful antagonist.

And a powerful antagonist may in fact be one of the prerequisites for a nine-tail to appear. And a very good reason for the TCPD to play nice. "Um...hello there...please accept this gift with our compliments, we're busy checking our scanners to figure out who you're here to stomp on. Please don't be us."
A part of a kitsune's nature is to be mischievous, so they do oppose 'Stability' ;>

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm

maldrul wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm
Roamer wrote:
Invisigoth wrote:

And a powerful antagonist may in fact be one of the prerequisites for a nine-tail to appear. And a very good reason for the TCPD to play nice. "Um...hello there...please accept this gift with our compliments, we're busy checking our scanners to figure out who you're here to stomp on. Please don't be us."
A part of a kitsune's nature is to be mischievous, so they do oppose 'Stability' ;>
Do kitsune oppose Stability? YES^hell

The fox folk in MegaTokyo are primarily refugees from the North where such things as tailhunters actually do exist. They are principally ignored by Stability because they're powerless. Up North Megumi's birth could have precipitated an all out war IMHO.

Megumi is effectively a new goddess and she deserves worshipers, at least I'm wanting to see that :)

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Megumi is effectively a new goddess and she deserves worshipers, at least I'm wanting to see that :)
She'll never replace 'The Lady with 1000 tails' for me, but I would definitely offer up some strawberry flavored mochi ice cream at her Shinto shrine ;)

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 pm

maldrul wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm

She'll never replace 'The Lady with 1000 tails' for me, but I would definitely offer up some strawberry flavored mochi ice cream at her Shinto shrine ;)
Just based on what we've seen, I would think that worshippers would creep her out. Of course, it has been a rough year for her...but I think she's too level headed to think actual worshippers are ever a good idea. Once she realizes what she is and then calms down, the first thing shel'll be asking the older manytails about will be how to do really good illusions.

Panel 2 is hilariously awesome. And panel 8 makes me think a motorcycle might be in her future...a lot easier to ride than to cram all those into a car seat, even customized.
maldrul wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Mischievous yes, but I think it's worthwhile to note that they aren't flat out agents of chaos, like Coyote or Loki. They're tricksters, but they don't want to break society, just whack it on the nose when it gets too full of itself. Or doesn't take care of business, which requires that someone like a nine-tail to step in and smack things back into order...mischievously, of course.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:33 am

I don't think she is aware of the ears or tails. I get the feeling that if we get to see her from the hallway POV the ears and tails will be gone.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 am

I think this is a case similar to the Moeko situation. Only those attuned(Mugi and Yaku, maybe the others at the Foxhole) will be able to see her as she really is.

Lingman

Post by Lingman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 am

I'll bet Erika, Largo and Junpi can all see them too.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 am

More awesomeness! =D

I am with Lingman there. Several of the (ahem) normal people can see the tails and ears — only think back of the scène where Mugi was pleasantly surprised by her class with a big welcome on the blackboard — too bad they had the species wrong. =D

Anyway. I was expecting a big YAIKS! somewhere during this comic. Apparently she’s so *very* distracted that even that will have to wait.

Nevertheless, another wow comic page that just makes me want to *thank you, Fred.*

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

zircher

Post by zircher » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am

Because my memory core is rusty, did Megumi gain tails? As in she's 'leveling up' as a fox girl?

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:01 pm

zircher wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am
Because my memory core is rusty, did Megumi gain tails? As in she's 'leveling up' as a fox girl?
We've seen flash of ears and tails on Megumi before, like in panel 1 of [1545] and panel 7 of [1551]. But now they appear to be fully visible, rather than just occasional flashes when she got upset.

I believe the background not-yet-in-comic word-of-fred is that the magic levels up with the number of tails, and 3 or more tails is enough to hide them. I think Megumi's magic is so powerful that she's been hiding them unconsciously up till now.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:20 pm

And we are still not sure Megumi knows she has manifested her 9 tails for 100% sure?
Does she know she has become a mystical supernova waiting to happen with a cute face and rockin hot bod?
And she is annoyed this morning on top of being sexually frustrated.
Glad I am not a character in this webcomic for like the first time ever.
I would still risk dismemberment to be Megumi's cuddle bear though...

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 pm

My head canon, based on what I know for sure and what I can deduce is that Megumi shocked her mother and grandmother by being a nine tailed kit at birth and frequently and quite rapidly phase shifting between that form and being a cute little girl baby. The few Elder kitsune who were aware arranged to have her locked into human form in order to keep the peace and then conveniently neglected to let her know.

Parallel her current manifestation we have Miho being implanted with a pacemaker and thus being for lack of a better term undying. At that point Moeko could contact Miho because Miho didn't die.

It all ties together and Grandmother 8 Tail probably has a lot of explaining to do.

Other things that are to be considered. Mugi's mother, a powerful 5 tail, booted Mugi out on to the streets when she was a terrified teen and pregnant with Yaku. Megumi helped Mugi when that happened. I'm suspecting that 5 tailed bitch is going to be soiling her fluffs when she hears about this....

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:59 pm

This is very well done, I can't tell if Fred is messing with us or not. Is she is completely oblivious to the ears and mass of fur behind her, or is she completely aware of it and is deliberately not doing anything to reveal that she is aware. I look forward to seeing where this goes, and how long Fred can keep it going.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Roamer wrote:
Invisigoth wrote:

A powerful antagonist may in fact be one of the prerequisites for a nine-tail to appear. As well as a very good reason for the TCPD to play nice. "Um...hello there...please accept this gift with our compliments, we're busy checking our scanners to figure out who you're here to stomp on. Please don't be us."
Or they could just track down a nice guy to set her up with. Some times all you really need is someone who gets you, and you can tell to "Deal with him. He's your son." and stomp off to go have a hot bath.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm

In fact, I just realized how to do it too: set her up with a minder who is about her age, single, scores high in empathy, and is unquestioningly loyal to the TPCD. Bonus if he competes at a high amateur level in at least one martial art, but if he's TPCD, he has to be proficient in them, and I'm sure she'd be very happy to encourage it.

Advise him to maintain close contact with her, especially during her adjustment to the new situation, and then first, advise both of them that close relationships are discouraged, then keep sending agents who ended up happily married to their targets to interact with them in both official and unofficial settings.

I mean, she's a nine-tail. They can afford to pull out all the stops to neutralize the risks of her going rogue. :)

Arent

Post by Arent » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Voyager wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm
In fact, I just realized how to do it too: set her up with a minder who is about her age, single, scores high in empathy, and is unquestioningly loyal to the TPCD. Bonus if he competes at a high amateur level in at least one martial art, but if he's TPCD, he has to be proficient in them, and I'm sure she'd be very happy to encourage it.

Advise him to maintain close contact with her, especially during her adjustment to the new situation, and then first, advise both of them that close relationships are discouraged, then keep sending agents who ended up happily married to their targets to interact with them in both official and unofficial settings.
I'm pretty sure Dom and Ed are still single :shock: