Higher res old pages?

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

alpha

Higher res old pages?

Post by alpha » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm

New arrival here, and enjoying the read. The "what is the true world" style interests me, as both Piro and Largo see the same scene completely differently, but are probably both correct.

One issue I have had is trying to read small text. Especially zoom-ins on Ping's ear blades. Those feel important (take a whole panel!) but are near illegible. I did recently notice pages also have transcripts, so I suppose I could start over and read with transcripts side by side.

However, is there higher resolution available? I saw Fred's Patreon has those as a perk, but lists it only for Chapter 12 and newer (or did I misread?).

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Higher res old pages?

Post by paarfi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Heya alpha. Welcome.

The only higher res stuff on the web is what you see in his Patreon. He started doing that as one of the perks of supporting his Patreon. The print books are done at a higher resolution, so that may be an option. You can find the two omnibus collections on Amazon and elsewhere, and hopefully book 7 will be coming. He's talked about putting higher res versions of older comics up on the web, but from a practical standpoint, I doubt he's going to have the time to do that anytime soon.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

alpha

Post by alpha » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks, I will take a look into that.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:26 pm

alpha wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm
... both Piro and Largo see the same scene completely differently...
What makes you think it's just those two?

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:17 pm

The only PoV that matters is Megumi's

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:17 pm
The only PoV that matters is Megumi's
Because the kitsune *always* controls the narrative. ;>

alpha

Post by alpha » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Sounds like I have much yet to discover. :)

(... Or I am just not paying enough attention to what I have read.)

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 am

alpha wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 pm

No, we pretty much all have much still to discover. Or unlearn, maybe, if our assumptions are incorrect. Although I would agree that Megumi wins the award for cutest AND bravest PoV. Which isn't really what Invisigoth said, but I like my version better.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Roamer wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 am
alpha wrote:

No, we pretty much all have much still to discover. Or unlearn, maybe, if our assumptions are incorrect. Although I would agree that Megumi wins the award for cutest AND bravest PoV. Which isn't really what Invisigoth said, but I like my version better.
I like your version better too

Arent

Post by Arent » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Roamer wrote:
alpha wrote:

I can only remember the one page which compared Piro's and Largo's world view. The first one noticing cosplay and manga shops everywhere, the other seeing potential dangers, zombie spawning points and makeshift fearbots. Where there other similar pages for other characters?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Arent wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:54 pm
Roamer wrote:
alpha wrote:

I can only remember the one page which compared Piro's and Largo's world view. The first one noticing cosplay and manga shops everywhere, the other seeing potential dangers, zombie spawning points and makeshift fearbots. Where there other similar pages for other characters?
https://megatokyo.com/strip/1584

Once you realize that everyone has their own PoV it becomes easier

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Invisigoth is right. All of MT is Megumi's creation, including the UnMod and Endgames layers. She did this because she destroyed the original MT. She forgot this, but is feeling terribly guilty about the destruction hence the terrible time she's having in a world of her own creation. Truth to tell, we're part of MegumiWorld also; she just wanted someone to feel her pain. Don't let her find out that we know; she'll make everything go away.

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:24 am

Liminaut wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:50 pm
She did this because she destroyed the original MT. [...] Don't let her find out that we know; she'll make everything go away.
The foxgirl version of "It's a Good Life"... :shock:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 pm
Arent wrote:
Roamer wrote:

https://megatokyo.com/strip/1584

Once you realize that everyone has their own PoV it becomes easier
One of the big controlling factors in one's MT worldview is your personal knowledgebase - what you know about what is possible in MT, what your experience is, and what your powers are. Miho seems to have the ability to expand others perspective just by pointing things out that they can't see themselves - as in strip 1000, where Kimiko suddenly can see all the weirdness that's pursuing her. It makes me wonder if Junko's 'boyfriend' can actually see the changes in Ping's codebase being caused by her gaining experience, simply by looking at her.

It also makes me wonder if the real secret of being a nine-tail Kitsune is that each tail grants you the ability to see new domains of power that are normally hidden. My assumption is that Miho's experience grants her knowledge of virtually all domains that aren't specifically hidden from her; Megumi may be the only person in MT who can see more of what is truly happening in the city than Miho can. Of course, that doesn't mean that the information is useful, or can be shared. As anyone who knows the story of Cassandra can tell you, being an oracle and having great knowledge of what's really going on pretty much guarantees an unhappy life. Read Robert Heinlein's first short story, 'Life-line', for a modern (and still unhappy) take on the Cassandra myth.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:43 am

darrin wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:24 am
Liminaut wrote:
She did this because she destroyed the original MT. [...] Don't let her find out that we know; she'll make everything go away.
The foxgirl version of "It's a Good Life"... :shock:
OK, that's both scary and creepy.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 am

Liminaut wrote:
Invisigoth is right. All of MT is Megumi's creation, including the UnMod and Endgames layers. She did this because she destroyed the original MT. She forgot this, but is feeling terribly guilty about the destruction hence the terrible time she's having in a world of her own creation. Truth to tell, we're part of MegumiWorld also; she just wanted someone to feel her pain. Don't let her find out that we know; she'll make everything go away.
And that is why, in https://megatokyo.com/strip/1350 Miho was unable to shadowstep Piro and herself through the spaces in between over to Manila and instead ended up in the school

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:03 am

So y'all are saying this isn't MugiTokyo, but rather MeguTokyo? Hmmm. :geek:
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 pm

She is the Luck Goddess, rather like the Norns

alpha

Post by alpha » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Of course there is a point of view which knows about multiple points of view, why would there not? ... I think I am dizzy now. https://megatokyo.com/strip/1018

louisxiv

Post by louisxiv » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Arent wrote:
Sounds like NNM: reality-pyo

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:03 pm

louisxiv wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Arent wrote:
Thanks, I had been looking for that one to use as THE example of personal worldviews. I just wasn't looking far enough back....

Arent

Post by Arent » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 am

louisxiv wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Arent wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. But I don't know any similar pages, only insinuations that certain people see other things than others.