[1580] with love

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Re: [1580] with love

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 pm

First off ...... Thank you, Fred, for a nice "side story", I guess, set in the Megatokyo universe. Intriguing characters, pretty girls, interesting plot (so far) ... I say this is good stuff.

(Okay, so somewhere in this gray-haired skull of mine is a 16-year-old boy. Sue me.)

As for Fred's situation, it does suck. My father went pretty quickly -- less than a year after a diagnosis of kidney cancer at age 70 back in '97. He was determined to die at home, and needed help only in the last month or so. Still, to see him go from being as big and strong as an ox to a gaunt shadow of himself was painful. It was probably worse for my sister -- she can remember him as a young man in his later 20s back in the '50s. I came along ten years later (1962), so for me he was always middle-aged.

My mother went "harder". She had to go into assisted living at the end of 2003, and then into a nursing home in 2009, and it was a long decline into a "second childhood" by 2016. She finally died of respiratory arrest at age 91 this past February, but in a sense she died a long time ago. :cry:

All of this is probably a (somewhat self-centered) way of telling the complainers to back off. Fred is dealing with some serious issues, and Megatokyo, as much as we love it, and are grateful to Fred for producing it, has to take a back seat to what he's doing right now.

I hope he has family who can help with the emotional aspects of the situation, and who maybe live close enough to his parents to take care of some of the physical aspects -- the house-clearing, the bureaucratic paper-chases, etc. -- that are "draining the cup" of Fred and Sarah's joie de vivre.

(Cross-posted from "TTDP 008")
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:38 pm

darrin wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Since we're not gonna see more of either of them this chapter....
You sure about that? 8-) :ninja:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

Rapierman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:38 pm
darrin wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Since we're not gonna see more of either of them this chapter....
You sure about that? 8-) :ninja:
It's Fred's story so obviously not 100%.

Narratively / structurally though, based on how things have gone in previous near-chapter-end situations, no, I don't consider it at all likely. I mean if Invisigoth were writing the comic yeah we'd get the "smoking-cigarettes-afterwards" bit :lol: and there'd probably be a lot of fans of that. But that doesn't seem to be the way Fred has rolled so far.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

IrwinFletcher

Post by IrwinFletcher » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:50 pm

[
All of this is probably a (somewhat self-centered) way of telling the complainers to back off. ]

Yeah, that is self-centered of you.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 am

Since this MDT popped back up I thought I would muse a bit.

Megumi is one of the oldest characters in the strip having been introduced around #32 shortly after we met Erika and Kimiko

Megumi is also closely tied to Mugi and Yaku both of whom are acquainted with Kimiko and Erika. In fact when Kimiko showed up and the hospital after 'killing' Miho we saw that Yaku assumed that she'd come to visit her mom

Finally, Megumi is a 9-tail kitsune who appears to affect luck especially luck when it comes to love.....

So now we have Kimi and Piro practicing the fine old art of building tricycle motors.....

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:42 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 am
Megumi is one of the oldest characters in the strip having been introduced around #32 shortly after we met Erika and Kimiko
You remind me that when I was active in the old forums (2006-2009 or so) the sentiment was occasionally expressed that Piro was "lucky" to have someone like Kimiko, that she was out of his league in a sense.

It's starting to look like that sentiment had more plot-specific truth to it than anyone could have guessed at the time, and that Megumi might have had more influence (even if unconscious) on that state than her "just a (cute) side character" appearance would have indicated.

Between the tiff at Beer Garden, the Anna Millers fiasco, and more recently Yuki's naive determination to "get him back with Miho", and lots of other minor issues along the way, there have been plenty of ways the relationship could easily have tanked. Yet it always seemed to organically heal itself without a lot of explicit effort on either Piro or Kimiko's part... almost as if by "magic". :shock:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one