[1571] fresh air

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Eraden

Re: [1571] fresh air

Post by Eraden » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 am

One more little tidbit to add to Invisigoth's theory....the reason WHY someone like Grandma would try to bind the power lurking inside Megumi. Can you imagine the damage a toddler with the power of a nine-tailed kitsune would do by throwing a temper tantrum? If this theory holds true, I can only assume Grandma did it to save the family from catastrophe. Hopefully, Megumi is a bit more mature now and can handle what might soon manifest. Hopefully.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:49 am

Roamer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 pm
cidjen wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:35 pm
Well before that started, Megumi was sulking either after the ninja that didtched her, or Piro who didn't invite her. So much sulking, it's probably accumulated.
Well, she doesn't seem to care much for her day job as a waitress at Anna Millers, after meeting the rabid fans she's lost interest in becoming a successful voice actress, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in the family business. Despite all that, she stays cheerful and supportive of her friends (okay, she does cry in the face of *actual* death and disaster) and is willing to help to the point of getting shot at. I think some sulking time has been earned.
I'd forgotten she'd wanted to be a voice actress, too. She's just had pretty much all of her life's goals nuked from low earth orbit, and is feeling really very lonely, meanwhile everyone else around her is finding their one, except her. That's got to leave anyone wondering what they've done with their life, even without getting shot at.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 am

cryum wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:50 pm
It took me quite a while to remember why Megumi's down the dumps.....because she has so many reasons to be.

Megatokyo is unfortunately lacking in the "males not married to ammunition" population.
I was thinking about this earlier, and actually checked the cast page to see if the ratio of available guys to available girls was really that bad. And when you add up the adult males who aren't actually in a relationship, all you get are Yanagisawa, Takeshi, Dom, and Ed. Two guys married to their jobs, and the other two, as you said, married to ammunition. Nice phrase, that.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 am

Voyager wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:49 am
Roamer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 pm
cidjen wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:35 pm
Well before that started, Megumi was sulking either after the ninja that didtched her, or Piro who didn't invite her. So much sulking, it's probably accumulated.
Well, she doesn't seem to care much for her day job as a waitress at Anna Millers, after meeting the rabid fans she's lost interest in becoming a successful voice actress, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in the family business. Despite all that, she stays cheerful and supportive of her friends (okay, she does cry in the face of *actual* death and disaster) and is willing to help to the point of getting shot at. I think some sulking time has been earned.
I'd forgotten she'd wanted to be a voice actress, too. She's just had pretty much all of her life's goals nuked from low earth orbit, and is feeling really very lonely, meanwhile everyone else around her is finding their one, except her. That's got to leave anyone wondering what they've done with their life, even without getting shot at.
I think what probably hurt the most was watching her cousin and the object of her interest finish falling for each other while she watched. At this point I agree with IG and eraden: She's been cursed by her grandmother for the safety of everyone around her, but the curses are no longer able to deal with her growing power and frustration.

Also, Fred being the devious and clue-leaving type he is, I have a suspicion that we've already met Megumi's true love...a long time back. He's not a ninja (probably), but he *was* willing to give up everything to go in search of a girl whose name he couldn't even remember.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:55 am

Roamer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 am
Also, Fred being the devious and clue-leaving type he is, I have a suspicion that we've already met Megumi's true love...a long time back. He's not a ninja (probably), but he *was* willing to give up everything to go in search of a girl whose name he couldn't even remember.
Haaah!
Chiba-san! I bet Megumi had a crush on that guy too! Now it makes sense why he was apologizing!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 am

How about Kenji?

Meanwhile, does anyone recognize the branding on Ashe's hoodie? It feels like I ought to get it, but if so I'm having a senior moment.
Olba wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:26 am
Ashe is a very violent foxgirl.
Nah - she's a drummer. Hitting things is normal, but with precision, not excessive force.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 am
How about Kenji?

Meanwhile, does anyone recognize the branding on Ashe's hoodie? It feels like I ought to get it, but if so I'm having a senior moment.
Olba wrote:
Nah - she's a drummer. Hitting things is normal, but with precision, not excessive force.

That's the logo for the dōjin shop Umanohone ("the horse's bone") in Denkigai no Honya-san.
Last edited by jkhartl on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Rat Bones skateboard wheels.

Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks Paarfi.

In RL connections, this video made me think of Ashe in action.
https://youtu.be/QwvzeyI65xA

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:44 pm

Nice post. Little to add here, except: thanks Fred! =)

…and I hope all of you and your families are okay.

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
How about Kenji?
He's naturally undead. Or a necromancer. And Mihos lackey. That would be enough of a no-no even for a ninetail kitsune... I think ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:26 pm

A Miho fan, yes. Where do you get the undead bit?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm

[1089] [panel 5] the dead can live without me for a while
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Selvius

Post by Selvius » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm

maldrul wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 pm
So, do all the one-tails resort to physical violence when things aren't going their way?
You can’t say that! That’s tail-ist! :lol:

The curse theory is fun, but I’m thinking Megumi’s story is a bit more complex than that. She is the “respectable“ one In the family, the “normal” one, and I don’t think that was a role that was assigned to her. No force in the universe, be it magical or mundane, can hold back your true power and nuke your dreams better than yourself. Megumi isn’t just steaming because she needs to get laid - she’s angry because Ping’s self-image issues and Junko’s need to be loved (remember her parents?) both hit a little too close to home.

Not to mention, her world was rocked HARD today. Her cousin was injured in a huge school “accident” then claimed her new crush right in front of her eyes. The hospital was torn apart around her. Her (very successful) friend ran into danger, “died,” then needed rescuing for some hanky-panky with the boyfriend. She ran toward danger for that friend, twice, and was nearly killed, without much in the way of gratitude. And to top it all off, when she got to her safe space, she was treated to a pantomime performance of some deep-seated issues causing her repression.

I think we’re seeing a woman who’s about at her breaking point. It’s going to suck for her, but it has the potential to be one of the best things that’s ever happened to her. Ashe has the unfortunate distinction of being the one who has to show her that. Hopefully she’ll still have a tail by the end of it.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Selvius, are you saying that nine tailed kitsune living under a curse wouldn't have bad days? Because that's exactly what you're saying.

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 pm

cryum wrote:
It took me quite a while to remember why Megumi's down the dumps.....because she has so many reasons to be.

Megatokyo is unfortunately lacking in the "males not married to ammunition" population.
Doubtless because not being married to ammunition or some other effective means of combat is not a survival trait in this sort of town. 😋

Megatokyo is a lot like the Narbonverse or the Girl Genius universe in that regard. ^_^

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 am

Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 pm
cryum wrote:

Doubtless because not being married to ammunition or some other effective means of combat is not a survival trait in this sort of town. 😋

Megatokyo is a lot like the Narbonverse or the Girl Genius universe in that regard. ^_^
In the Narbonverse, at least, you can substitute wits for ammunition...but not vice versa. I don't recall ever seeing Artie with a weapon other than his teeth, but Mell would have been far less dangerous had she just had her massive and varied collection of firearms. After all, she went to Hell without a weapon...I think...and came back triumphant, and with a boyfriend, no less.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 am

Selvius wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm
maldrul wrote:
So, do all the one-tails resort to physical violence when things aren't going their way?

The curse theory is fun, but I’m thinking Megumi’s story is a bit more complex than that. She is the “respectable“ one In the family, the “normal” one, and I don’t think that was a role that was assigned to her. No force in the universe, be it magical or mundane, can hold back your true power and nuke your dreams better than yourself. Megumi isn’t just steaming because she needs to get laid - she’s angry because Ping’s self-image issues and Junko’s need to be loved (remember her parents?) both hit a little too close to home.

Not to mention, her world was rocked HARD today. Her cousin was injured in a huge school “accident” then claimed her new crush right in front of her eyes. The hospital was torn apart around her. Her (very successful) friend ran into danger, “died,” then needed rescuing for some hanky-panky with the boyfriend. She ran toward danger for that friend, twice, and was nearly killed, without much in the way of gratitude. And to top it all off, when she got to her safe space, she was treated to a pantomime performance of some deep-seated issues causing her repression.

I think we’re seeing a woman who’s about at her breaking point. It’s going to suck for her, but it has the potential to be one of the best things that’s ever happened to her. Ashe has the unfortunate distinction of being the one who has to show her that. Hopefully she’ll still have a tail by the end of it.
The other thing to keep in mind, is it may not be repression. Just because she can be a epic doesn't mean she enjoys it. Recall the story of Odysseus searching for a boring life when it came his turn to return to earth. Stories and legends are full of heroes who's true desire was to go back to their farm.

Also, as you get older, sometimes the things you thought you wanted turn out to be not all that any more, and if you find yourself looking back, its easy to get lost in thinking about the time you spent pursing a mirage, and begin to wonder if you missed your shot at the thing you really did want.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 am

cidjen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm
I read that as Kenji saying he looks after the (un)dead, not that he is one.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 am

Ningen 2 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 am
cidjen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm
I read that as Kenji saying he looks after the (un)dead, not that he is one.
Then the other suggestion (necromancer, Mihos lackey) might still be valid ;)

Although with his clothing style (the skull on the beanie hat) I still wonder if he actually isn't a higher level undead ( similar to Waltah, serving Miho)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm

paarfi wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm
Ningen 2 wrote:
Rat Bones skateboard wheels.
Oh, thanks for that. I was wondering what that was, thought it was some brand of drone.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Selvius wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm
maldrul wrote:
Check out my AV. I *am* a one-tail so I get a pass ;> :lol:

(and yes, I *do* get violent when things don't go my way. I've even nuked a thread once)

Selvius

Post by Selvius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 pm
Selvius, are you saying that nine tailed kitsune living under a curse wouldn't have bad days? Because that's exactly what you're saying.
I don’t believe I said anything of the sort. As a matter of fact, both scenarios could be true. It’d be rather hard to break a curse if you won’t even acknowledge your ability to do so.

I don’t prefer the curse theory by itself, though, for three reasons.

First, it moves Megumi’s locus of control outside her character. An outside force is suddenly responsible for any number of bad things in her life. The fact that it’s by a (somewhat distant) member of her family just adds a little color to what is essentially “a wizard did it.” It doesn’t fit with the complexity and care that Fred crafts his characters.

Second, while magic exists in MegaTokyo, outside of comedic moments its power is rooted in human emotion and action. Miho wasn’t made into an analogue by a wicked witch, but by the collective effect of her story on other people. Idols have power that can be even greater than magical girls, because of the way they touch others. And no analogue, magical girl, idol, ninja, or kitsune has power in the face of the horde of ordinary people, unless it grants it to them.

Third, Megumi’s behavior and history support the notion that there’s some stuff going on in her head. Look at the way she talks about Mugi “throwing her legs” open, or her discomfort while Ping gets a lesson in sex from the rest of her much freer family. Look how instinctively Megumi throws up a facade: at Anna Miller’s, with Masamichi’s men, with Pedestrian #28592, and with Piro. (And tellingly, while Erika and Kimiko use their performances to connect with people and influence their emotions, Megumi uses her performances to put distance between herself and others.) Look at her dissatisfaction with her life, both romantically and professionally. And look at what appears to be weakening the “curse:” her experiences and her reactions to them.

Of course, in the end, what I think is largely inconsequential. We’ll discover the truth in the due course of time.

tambo

Post by tambo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:29 pm

HakuRyoku wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Megumi does know they make 'toys' for this sort of problem right?
Well, she didn't say, "those two need to get laid," in a general sense. She's talking about a shared hookup with Junko's client, which, in addition to the oxytocin benefits, resolves the social tension. (Or it might further complicate things. Never know. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.)

tambo

Post by tambo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Olba wrote:
I wouldn't call her very violent; I'd call her very physical.

Note that in #1551, Junko was angry and trying to hurt Ashe, and Ashe responded physically but apparently didn't hurt her, which requires a nontrivial amount of care. Seems like the opposite of violent tendencies to me. It's why she has become one of my favorite characters in the short time I've been reading MegaTokyo (a little under a year).