Re: [1604] residual memory

Post by mistersaxon » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:56 am

DrunkenSailor wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:10 am
cidjen wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:08 pm
mistersaxon wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:12 am
Maybe we should divert the thread into a huge "What If..." serial thread? What If... Peek tries to steal Largo from Erika? (It doesn't have to be plausible plot-wise)
More like, we need more participants in Fan Works sub ;)
Instead what if Poke tries to steal Largo, succeeds, forgets all about it, and then steals Erika from him when he goes to teach his class. Peek would point out that she'd created the worlds first isosceles love triangle.

(yeah I have no idea what that means either)

DS
Isosceles? Largo is always going to be obtuse though, wihch is fine because both Poke and Erika would be very acute :)
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

tambo

Post by tambo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:57 pm

The latest comic at MegaTokyo is about to celebrate its three-month birthday. I feel like we should throw a party for it... maybe give it a cupcake with the number "3" like infants get at three months.

Or do we wait until it turns one year old? Because I feel like there's a good chance of that.

What's the protocol here? Apologies for not knowing; the other webcomics that I read get updated daily, or weekly, or at least more than once per season, so I'm a little out of my depth.

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:16 pm

We celebrate semi-anniversaries.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:26 am

I think this holds the record for being the longest break between individual comics, so worthy of some kind of celebration in itself.

More seriously, I hope everything is okay in Fred World.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:48 am

He's got an extra-long "recap" comic in progress. But yeah, things have been very slow even by Fred's standards.

He had expected to be laid off the bus job over the summer, but instead he ended up working straight through and with a lot of overtime, which has continued into the fall. He's tired and has been fighting off depression. He complains about lack of drawing time. But even when he gets some, he's tired and depressed and so out of his groove that less actually gets drawn during that time than he's happy with. His Cintiq died, and while that is something he can work around for cleanup, it's yet another obstacle that feeds the frustration and depression.

I think they're hoping Sarah can find a decent job so that Fred can cut the overtime, and that would help things with the comic and otherwise. Hopefully that works out.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:24 pm

Depression is a soul-sucking, lying bastard. I wish Fred all the best in fighting it and dealing with the rest of real life.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:47 pm

Well we did have a about year long hiatus while Fred sorted out some family related issues a while back. Those of us who have stuck with Fred over the years have seen a few of these unexpected breaks. Once Fred gets things back in order the comics will flow.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:39 pm

Fred just posted a new rant on the front page, first new one in a while - explaining the extended wait time for the new comic. Short version, he needs to chop the current comic in half and insert three new comics between the two halves.

I swear, if I win the lottery I'm going to pump up his Patreon to the point he doesn't need another job.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:23 pm

At least he's off Twitter now hehehe.
And the world will be a better place without it.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:21 am

As someone who has never had a Twitter account, I am dismayed as I wonder how many sketches and stuff I may have missed on Fred's Twitter. Since Twitter doesn't allow someone without an account to browse more than a tiny handful of the most recent things, I'll likely never know.
Roamer wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:39 pm
Fred just posted a new rant on the front page, first new one in a while - explaining the extended wait time for the new comic. Short version, he needs to chop the current comic in half and insert three new comics between the two halves.

I swear, if I win the lottery I'm going to pump up his Patreon to the point he doesn't need another job.
Highest tier is only $10, sadly. But I share the sentiment.

Olba

Post by Olba » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:18 am

Random Wanderer wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:21 am
As someone who has never had a Twitter account, I am dismayed as I wonder how many sketches and stuff I may have missed on Fred's Twitter. Since Twitter doesn't allow someone without an account to browse more than a tiny handful of the most recent things, I'll likely never know.
You can use a Twitter frontend, such as Nitter, to get around that. Just change the URL from twitter.com to, e.g. nitter.net, and you're in business. Like so.There are also browser extensions that can do it automatically for you.

Natsumi

Post by Natsumi » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:49 pm

Nothing wrong with a slight retcon when you really need it to clarify something or help the story make more sense. As someone who writes fan fiction I've occasionally caught myself having to do something similar to an already-published chapter. It happens. I'm just glad he's creating again.
I mostly lurk and read, but I may squeak occasionally.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:21 pm

Natsumi wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:49 pm
I'm just glad he's creating again.
It's very encouraging, and not just because of an updated comic. His last couple of streams have been productive. He's been thinking about the comic on off hours. He's been turning down overtime regularly. And Sarah was all behind him spending the money for the new cintiq after his old one broke.

It's like he's finally broken out of that comicing depression he's been in for the past several months, and it's really nice to see. Not just because it will hopefully mean more comics for us, but because Fred seems happy again about it too.

Love the MugiPile panel. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon