[1599] you shouldn't just assume

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1599] you shouldn't just assume

Post by paarfi » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:04 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.

Fred also posted this message:
My profound apologies for the lateness of this one. I did too much overtime work and then got sick AND hurt my stupid shoulder, which meant that the last two weeks all that time i could have been drawing i wasn't able to. It's better now, finally got the shading done and got this comic posted. Now to make sure i get comic 1600 done (and hopefully one or two more) before the end of the year. (not taking overtime for December, going to focus on MT work)
thank you!
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

jkhartl

Re: [1599] you shouldn't just assume

Post by jkhartl » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:59 am

"Is it... atomic?" "Yes sir, VERY atomic!" - The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 am

Must touch fluffy tail.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:30 pm

Heeyyyy comic!
Nice!

The grandma definitely knows.

Also she can English, and, looks like also, Largo compatible.
/Me goes to get popcorn.

I almost read Fred's Twitter as if he went for an hour long procedure at the dentist and it then prolonged to 11.8 hours ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:31 pm

This storyline just gets better every time a new page is posted. This is hysterically funny. I particularly loved Erica's snark. It is pretty bad when it is only Largo who understands the situation. I also thought panel 2 was funny, Megu is trying to comfort Ashe, who has her eyes closed and can't hear her.

OMG, I just realized Grams was speaking English.
Last edited by Roborat on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Poor Megumi... All she wants is some sympathy, comfort, and maybe an explanation, but everyone else just wants to examine her fluffy tails.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm

It's funny, when it's entirely appropriate for Largo to be Largo Erika asks him, "Why are you like this?"

Tsukai

Post by Tsukai » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Largo, don't refer to people as 'it', you POS.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:26 pm

Tsukai wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:59 pm
:lol:

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am

So.....nobody noticed, especially Megumi, how many tails there were, save for Largo who made a careful count (several times).

Okay, so a little speculation is in order:

Based on some research (it may be Wiki, but there are facts in there), Largo is right that the nine-tails represent great power, the most powerful of all, in fact. The reason that Largo can see them: The most devout individuals can see through the appearance of a normal human and recognize the kitsune for what they are. What is Largo devoted to? Gaming and his imagination, I suppose. Be it as it may be, Largo can see through the supposed "disguise" and recognize the nine-tails.

That leaves us with the issue of how Megumi got her nine tails. Was she kitsune all along and never knew it? It's definitely up in the air. However, another possibility (based on my research) is that she was possessed by a kitsune spirit, probably the most powerful of all the kitsune spirits. Such is indeed possible and perhaps even more probable. Thus, she becomes "kitsunetsuki", with all that it entails.

So, how does Grandma know English? Three possibilities: 1. Learned it in school; 2. Learned it over time as she interacted with the customers, some of whom could be from an English-speaking country; 3. She herself is possessed by a kitsune.

Personally, I'm in favor of the first two explanations.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 am

Tsukai wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:59 pm
Rapierman wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am
What is Largo devoted to? Gaming and his imagination, I suppose.
You're both right: to Largo, this entire situation is.a.game. Gumi is a powerful character, that currently may have no player steering her (unlike Erika or Kimiko).

Largo only knows the 9-tailness and what it means, from the less p0rny part of Piro's manga stash, otherwise known to be named by Largo 'all p0rn'.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:16 am

"Everybody grab a tail"?
This ought to go well/
Great plan!
almost as good as "GET EM GUYS!!"

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm

So when everyone has a handful or two of tails, grandma yells,"Now make a wish and PULL!" (note: This is the secret time honored method for fox moms to teach their multi-tailed offspring to make their tails instantly disappear).

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:00 pm

DrunkenSailor wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm
So when everyone has a handful or two of tails, grandma yells,"Now make a wish and PULL!" (note: This is the secret time honored method for fox moms to teach their multi-tailed offspring to make their tails instantly disappear).
SAILOR YOU DRUNKEN FOOL!

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks for the comic, Fred. :-)
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 pm

I find myself being oddly sympathetic to Largo in this strip. He seems to be the only one who really understands the potential hazard that exists. I can only hope that because it's family and friends that are grabbing her tails, Magumi won't "explode" and take out half of the city.

Sky_Paladin

Post by Sky_Paladin » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm

This reminds me, likely intentionally, of Ken Ashcorp's famous song. I've never played the game it refers to, mind you, but there's a nine-tails in that one.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:40 pm

I could not find a way to edit my earlier post. I apologize for misspelling Megumi's name. A typo that I would love to fix but somehow can't find an editing button for that post.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:47 am

Eraden wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:40 pm
I could not find a way to edit my earlier post.
There is an edit button that shows after you post, but that disappears after some amount of time. I forget what we have that set to.

We were having problems with spammers who'd make what appeared to be a legit post, and then come back later and edit it with spam content. The time limit on the edit button was intended to help prevent that, and it seems to have done the trick. But it does also make it more inconvenient for legit users who might want to edit later. Sorry.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 am
Must touch fluffy tail.
'Must ensure life insurance paid up before touching fluffy tail'
There, fixed it for you.
Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm
It's funny, when it's entirely appropriate for Largo to be Largo Erika asks him, "Why are you like this?"
I suspect that statement was heavily influenced by the other influences in her head right now. She knows exactly what Largo is, and why he's such a good match for her..but it might be a shock for a young MG watching him at work for the first time.
Rapierman wrote:
So.....nobody noticed, especially Megumi, how many tails there were, save for Largo who made a careful count (several times).

Based on some research (it may be Wiki, but there are facts in there), Largo is right that the nine-tails represent great power, the most powerful of all, in fact. The reason that Largo can see them: The most devout individuals can see through the appearance of a normal human and recognize the kitsune for what they are. What is Largo devoted to? Gaming and his imagination, I suppose. Be it as it may be, Largo can see through the supposed "disguise" and recognize the nine-tails.

That leaves us with the issue of how Megumi got her nine tails. Was she kitsune all along and never knew it? It's definitely up in the air. However, another possibility (based on my research) is that she was possessed by a kitsune spirit, probably the most powerful of all the kitsune spirits. Such is indeed possible and perhaps even more probable. Thus, she becomes "kitsunetsuki", with all that it entails.
Largo, by result of his interests and how he built this lunatic character, demonstrates all the traits you want in a solo: Danger sense, find weakness, damage reduction, enhanced perception, and a broad range of skills. He also has no brakes. He's like a 20 year old upgraded version of the Punisher, and would be just as deadly if he felt the need. Which is why he needs Erika. She provides the moderation he lacks (while being just as ruthless when needed), just as he provides her with the utterly loyal and dependable partner she's always sought but was never able to find.

The idea that Megumi might be possessed is interesting, but I don't think a spirit would be able to manifest nine tails, just due to the level of power needed once she starts using her abilities. Also, Kitsune possession is much harder to do to the strong-willed, and Megumi is anything but weak.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:00 pm
DrunkenSailor wrote:
SAILOR YOU DRUNKEN FOOL!
Somehow the phrase 'Total party wipe' seems appropriate here.

===

So what sticks out to me here is Grandma's reaction. She doesn't hesitate before responding to Largo, breaking out her English for the first time. After Largo insists he is right, she accepts what he's saying and her first response is shock. No one has nine tails, but here she's being told that someone who had none yesterday now has the full compliment. despite that she doesn't disbelieve, she moves to verify it, in the most direct way possible.

'But No one has nine tails' is revealing. It's not 'The family has never had a nine tail', or even 'There aren't any nine tails currently known'. As I read it , It's a flat statement of fact that despite the legends, no Kitsune has had nine tails. Ever.

Which makes me wonder if my wild-ass theory about the MT system using Kitsune as a control mechanism for magical girls was actually accurate, and that system is terrified of what Erika and Moeko might be capable of together...and has respawned Megumi as a nine-tail in response to that threat.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm
[...]
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
DrunkenSailor wrote:
SAILOR YOU DRUNKEN FOOL!

===
[...]
There are four girls present, not counting Megumi who has a pair of hands of her own.

Largo will, fully appropriately, grab Piro and hurl the two of them behind, hopefully, solid cover.

The real question is, did either of them bother to spec any rez's into their build, or if they'll have to rely of Largo-negotiation while everyone finds there way back from their respawn points.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 am

Yeah... they are gonna grab all them tails and make a wish that they had not!

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am

Roamer wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm
paarfi wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 am
Must touch fluffy tail.
'Must ensure life insurance paid up before touching fluffy tail'
There, fixed it for you.
Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm
I suspect that statement was heavily influenced by the other influences in her head right now. She knows exactly what Largo is, and why he's such a good match for her..but it might be a shock for a young MG watching him at work for the first time.
Rapierman wrote:

Largo, by result of his interests and how he built this lunatic character, demonstrates all the traits you want in a solo: Danger sense, find weakness, damage reduction, enhanced perception, and a broad range of skills. He also has no brakes. He's like a 20 year old upgraded version of the Punisher, and would be just as deadly if he felt the need. Which is why he needs Erika. She provides the moderation he lacks (while being just as ruthless when needed), just as he provides her with the utterly loyal and dependable partner she's always sought but was never able to find.

The idea that Megumi might be possessed is interesting, but I don't think a spirit would be able to manifest nine tails, just due to the level of power needed once she starts using her abilities. Also, Kitsune possession is much harder to do to the strong-willed, and Megumi is anything but weak.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
DrunkenSailor wrote:
SAILOR YOU DRUNKEN FOOL!

===

So what sticks out to me here is Grandma's reaction. She doesn't hesitate before responding to Largo, breaking out her English for the first time. After Largo insists he is right, she accepts what he's saying and her first response is shock. No one has nine tails, but here she's being told that someone who had none yesterday now has the full compliment. despite that she doesn't disbelieve, she moves to verify it, in the most direct way possible.

'But No one has nine tails' is revealing. It's not 'The family has never had a nine tail', or even 'There aren't any nine tails currently known'. As I read it , It's a flat statement of fact that despite the legends, no Kitsune has had nine tails. Ever.

Which makes me wonder if my wild-ass theory about the MT system using Kitsune as a control mechanism for magical girls was actually accurate, and that system is terrified of what Erika and Moeko might be capable of together...and has respawned Megumi as a nine-tail in response to that threat.
My personal theory is that Piro is an Agent of Change and he's the one triggering all of these events. Megumi has arisen as a force to balance Piro so now I'm shipping Megumi x Piro in hopes that they together can restore balance in MT

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 pm

[Touches fluffy tail][BOOM!]

I'm okay. :ph34r:

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:27 am

Voyager wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 pm

There are four girls present, not counting Megumi who has a pair of hands of her own.

Largo will, fully appropriately, grab Piro and hurl the two of them behind, hopefully, solid cover.

The real question is, did either of them bother to spec any rez's into their build, or if they'll have to rely of Largo-negotiation while everyone finds there way back from their respawn points.
While it's not a bad plan, the problem is depending on how hard they yank, minimum safe distance from the explosion is likely to be 'The next ward over'.
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am

My personal theory is that Piro is an Agent of Change and he's the one triggering all of these events. Megumi has arisen as a force to balance Piro so now I'm shipping Megumi x Piro in hopes that they together can restore balance in MT
That raises the question, is he a benign Agent of Change, or a programmed weapon? And, to embrace the full Star Wars nature of your quote about 'restoring balance', you're implying Megumi's here to kill a whole lot of whomever Piro's representing....probably the Ninjas.* Real ninja like Junpei's immediate family, not the chocolate soldiers like the 'ninjas' Megumi's family found lying on the ground in front of the hotel.

*I don't care what anybody says, he is not here representing the magical girls. I can't see him making a skirt work.
maldrul wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 pm
[Touches fluffy tail][BOOM!]

I'm okay. :ph34r:
Well, of course. She's not going to hurt another Kitsune...not for the first offense, anyway.