l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Are You Watching This Quarter?, Q4 2016
omoikane
Posted: Oct 1 2016, 11:56 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

Last time

What anime/manga/etc are you watching/reading/etc this quarter?

New season time huh...
I actually just finished 91Days. It's a solid, but nothing to write home about. I still get tripped up by all the Japanese tropes in the American setting. Like, I would never write a ending where they go to the emot-iiam.gif because like, this is the wrong way to write a 1920s mobster story. Hopefully this doesn't happen with Izetta... Also it felt almost more like Internal Affairs than a proper mob story, but I guess it works in that context too.

Tiger Mask is fun, did not expect to enjoy it that much.

Mahouiku is okay, it reminds me of that tarot card magical girls show a tad too much.

Saw one ep of that Tencent anime. It was kind of instructional, if you want a bad anime to compare to other shows people say is bad but aren't actually bad.

www.working is same as always. Reminds me that I haven't actually watched the OVA ep of the last season, and it's on CR.

Making some headway on Butch's puppet anime. this should also get netflix'd imo.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Oct 3 2016, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 3729

Wrapping up last season:

Kuromukuro - Still waiting on last episode, but I don't think it is going to change my opinion heavily. It's okay. I like that PA Works is trying something way different, but honestly the sci-fi robot alien nonsense is pretty half arsed. I think it would be a better show if it was just about a time-shifted samurai finding a new life and fulfilling his new dream of opening a curry shop.
Macross Delta - Well shit this was a disappointment. I enjoyed the cast more than Frontier's but it did bugger all with the cast and plot and had far weaker fights and songs. Even the better done first half was somewhat mediocre. Basically peaked at episode 1 and slowly tumbled downhill till episode 13 where it just fell into a manhole and remained since. I wanted to like this. At least the love triangle got resolved?
Amachu! - Diving the anime only without diving. It was cute and made me sleepy. I prefer my slumber shows spiced with a bit of humour like NNB or Flying Witch.
Amaama to Inazuma - I did like how the cooking anime had complete amateurs for a change. It was cute and had its moments.
Prisma Ilya - Is it just me but is the animation getting jankier and worse with each consecutive season? I really enjoy the manga but the anime doesn't really do much for me. Hearing new Sapphire makes me sad.
KonoBi - Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.
Active Raid 2 - Didn't expect a sequel of all things. It is kinda not very good but it has some good characters and is good fun. It was best when it was just goofing off to episodic content. I think the cast shuffle really hurt it overall. The new girls didn't really do anything, Sena's whole civilian contractor schtick was random as hell and did they really need to transfer Asami out? Though her becoming a megalomaniac dork is amusing. They should've just built off the S1 cast as is. Wouldn't mind watching more, but don't care if there isn't.
91 Days - Quite enjoyable if a bit bland at times. As far as the medium is concerned, the story and setting are very novel. Would have preferred a more explosive ending rather than the way it kinda decided to slowly deflate.
Thunderbolt Fantasy - One of my season's favourites, though asspull ending is asspull.
Battery - Kinda okay, then it just kinda ends like that and I've almost forgotten I watched it in the first place already.
Mob Psycho 100 - Kinda a bit bleh in the middle but got pretty fun towards the end.

Still Going
Jojo - I like this a lot more than Stardust Crusaders.

New Season
WWW.Working!! - Well its more Working. Will have to see how I warm up to the new cast, but I'm kinda missing the old already.
Gundam IBO2 - This will probably be another disappointment, but it looks like a decent start.
Show By Rock 2 - Didn't expect a sequel, but I expect it should be as enjoyable as the first. I should watch the shorts.

Still waiting for the rest of the season to get going. Might try to get through LL Sunshine. Keep it running while I play my shitty mobages.
PMEmail Poster
Mamma Peach
Posted: Oct 4 2016, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 76699

Found and finished "Blood Blockade Battlefront".
Found "Special A" again and am continuing. Also started "Luck and Logic" which was on my previous list. Maybe I'll find and finish the rest of them sometime.
PMUsers Website
dm
Posted: Oct 4 2016, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Bothering no one, touching nothing, just fixing the Primus.

Member No.: 263

So, second season of Sidonia has lots of high-school derp, though... I like the characters enough that I don't mind very much.

Wow. Death Parade. I thought the whole season was quite good. I could use more world building, and wouldn't mind more Nona vs-Flower Beard, but I don't expect it to happen.

The BigN mentioned UFOtable & Zesteria so that's what I'm watching while I wait for the new season to gain momentum. I'm only a couple of episodes in, but I keep thinking I'm watching Gate without the JSDF. Probably because of Princess Not-Pina-Colada. This is ... maybe not a bad thing, actually.

I'm reading the Baccano novel in between everything else. I'm finding it one of the better light novels I've read, though I suppose I haven't read that many. I might pick up Durarara! after I finish the series.
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Oct 5 2016, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Finally finished Akito the Exiled. It had some cool scenes and stuff but ultimately kinda didn't really do anything or add much to Code Geass.

Natsume Yuujinchou is the same as usual. It's like meeting up with an old friend.

Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita is soppy and frustrating to watch. Problem with these short movies is that they don't really do enough to leave a lasting impression.

PMEmail Poster
Mamma Peach
Posted: Oct 5 2016, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Finished Special A.
PMUsers Website
Yl33 D4 N00b
Posted: Oct 5 2016, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 77929

Leftovers from last season......

ReLIFE deserves a second watch. I haven't had time though, although with the way the fall season's shaping up, I may have loads.......

Re: Zero finished pretty well, though they left open the possibility for a second season. I'd watch it.

Sweetness and Lightning is definitely worth watching if you haven't already. Kotori best summer waifu..... smile.gif

Shokugeki no Soma Season 2 offered no surprises to those that have already read the manga, but still, the animation brought the story alive.

Amanchu is good enough that the clown animation didn't bother me by the end of the show, though the cats are still a bit much.....

New Game! didn't try to do too much, but what it did, it did well. Fun show!

Tales of Zestiria the X was visually great, though the writing was a little weak at times.

Orange finished okay, though the animation went to crap at times, and they spent way too much time on the Time Travel Postal Service thing without fully explaining it.

Kuromukuro could have been done in one cour, and have the hinted at second season in the next cour, and it would've been fine.

91 Days finished, well, blah. Avilio's crusade was a total waste, but maybe that was the point?

Rewrite finished dumb, then they put this teaser for a different path as the second season? Might not watch it, anyway......

Batterywas mostly a waste of time, but I wanted to see how it ended, but wait, it didn't.... sleep.gif
PMEmail Poster
Yl33 D4 N00b
Posted: Oct 5 2016, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Started off watching Izetta, The Last Witch; not too bad, at least for 3.......

Gundam:IBO S2 made sure all the main characters had a little screentime, plus a little action. Might need a scorecard this time...

Plan to try out Natsume Yuujinchou, and Trickster next.
PMEmail Poster
dm
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

Hibike! Sound Euphonium 2 returns with a 45-minute first episode that is time well spent. Drama is happening, as one of the deserters from two years ago wants back into the club.

Kumiko is as off-balance as ever.

And lots of Kumiko-Reina togetherness to keep those yuri-goggles fogged.

This post has been edited by dm on Oct 6 2016, 12:30 AM
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

I thought Eupho was a bit long. Was half expecting Tutti Frutti. It's good as usual.

Bungou Stray Dogs seems to have decided to turn into a prequel. Still can't take this seriously no matter how seriously it tries to take itself.

Majestic Prince Episode 25 seems to be trying to introduce a new cast. Setting up for season 2 probably.

Yuri!!! on Ice was something I didn't even plan on watching, but I heard something about good animation and ice skating and got curious. Oh lawd the manservice. But I think this could shape up to be fairly decent.
PMEmail Poster
Mamma Peach
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Finished Luck and Logic too.
I'm going to have to start looking up some of the anime you guys are talking about because I have no clue...
PMUsers Website
Nestor
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

Started a rewatch of the Strike Witches franchise. I made it through the first and second seasons just barely. While the world is cool and Power of Friendship and all that, there's a certain level of insipid that made me want to go and do something else while I was watching.

Onward to Victory Arrow and the movie.
PMEmail Poster
Yl33 D4 N00b
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Natsume Yuujinchou is good; I haven't watched prior seasons, so it's new to me.

Trickster is meh. I don't care for the plot at all. I might give it one more ep....

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 started as a prequel, I guess as needed info for later? Still pretty good.

Euphonium S2 is off to a really good start; nicely done.
PMEmail Poster
mostlyharmless
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 4001

Watched "Tokko", a gory detective/demon fighter story. Really low-budget, but I liked how his sister mother-henned the hero & how the cavalry always showed up in the nick of time.
PM
omoikane
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Eupho2 was lovely, but I can live without the double-opener.
Yuri on Ice was amazing. Still bothers me with the romantic depiction of foreign nationals, because this is not how it works...at all...
Keijo!!!!!!!! was pretty fun, although this is like garupan where the battles are why anyone watches this show.
The new Nogami-verse show was fun, but a little bit hard to watch at start.
uncreative
Posted: Oct 7 2016, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

Endlessly looping, never updating.

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 54034

QUOTE (DaRk_KnIgHt @ Oct 6 2016, 06:14 AM)
Majestic Prince Episode 25 seems to be trying to introduce a new cast. Setting up for season 2 probably.

A lead-in for the movie, which is releasing soon.
PM
Mamma Peach
Posted: Oct 7 2016, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Started watching "Tales of Zestiria the X" and agree with Yl33 D4 N00b.
PMUsers Website
dm
Posted: Oct 7 2016, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

The first episode of Izetta was great fun --- like Allison and Lilie, only done by people with talent.

...Except it's from the creator of Guilty Crown, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to withhold judgment for a good while before fully committing to the series.
PMEmail Poster
Yl33 D4 N00b
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 12:57 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Drifters started out really cool(Lotsa blood!), but then it tried to do comedy, and failed. I'll give it a few more eps(maybe) to see if it straightens itself out.
PMEmail Poster
Nestor
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

Was everyone just as unsurprised as I was with the "twist" at the end of the second episode of Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku?
PMEmail Poster
Yl33 D4 N00b
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Addict

March Comes in Like a Lion has potential, so does Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari.

Occult 9 gave me a huge case of WTF???, so I quit watching after 5 minutes.....
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Occult 9 was like 23 minutes of a trailer. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I like it but I don't know if I can stand it.
All Out was OK.
Udon anime is a little less tedious for me than sweetness & lightning, and probably a little more relatable for me.
Girlish Number is the dark gritty idol anime we deserve
Matoi is the magical girls anime I wanted
March comes in like a lion is ugh, think I'll drop. It doesn't work when they try so hard.
Flip Flappers is really neat and it will test my tolerance. Also the seiyuu work is remarkable.
Watched the HoneyWorks movie. Really pedestrian but slightly above average because it's really cheesy all the way, not just part of the way.
Najime S5 is same old. The only yokai anime I can handle in large quantities.
Trickster is ... uh.
Drifter is kind of neat, i hope it doesn't hit the usual problems anime like this hits (unlikely)
SB69 S2 continues, but if you didn't finish S1 you're in for a shock. And even if you did finish S1...lol this anime.

QUOTE (Nestor @ Oct 8 2016, 01:17 PM)
Was everyone just as unsurprised as I was with the "twist" at the end of the second episode of Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku?

Is it surprising when it's exactly what the show advertised? Can you be surprised for getting exactly what you were looking for? I guess it's possible but that seems unfair lol.

QUOTE (dm @ Oct 7 2016, 11:18 PM)
...Except it's from the creator of Guilty Crown, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to withhold judgment for a good while before fully committing to the series.

The OP in ep 2 kind of killed any hope of it that I have.

And I think knocking on guilty crown is a low blow. Those guys are a right fit for the type of story Izetta is about if you think about it.
dm
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (omoikane @ Oct 9 2016, 12:10 PM)
The OP in ep 2 kind of killed any hope of it that I have.

And I think knocking on guilty crown is a low blow. Those guys are a right fit for the type of story Izetta is about if you think about it.

What about the OP of ep 2 was so discouraging? Myself, I think Izetta should dress more warmly and maybe wear a helmet while she's riding her rifle in the battlefield.

...and I think bringing up Guilty Crown is perfectly appropriate. That show looked interesting (and was) before it began to break down several episodes in. The same could easily happen here.

I don't know the director's work, but I guess the writer might be promising --- Accel World was okay (oh, and My-HiME, plus a lot of other good stuff (bad stuff, too, e.g., Code Geass)), and the production company did Emma, so it's got that going for them.

March comes in like a lion had its Shinbo elements, and seemed to see-saw back-and-forth between ditzy family sweetness and Your lie in April abused childhood memories in a fairly inconsistent fashion. I'll probably stick with it, if only for the artwork.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (dm @ Oct 9 2016, 01:12 PM)
What about the OP of ep 2 was so discouraging? Myself, I think Izetta should dress more warmly and maybe wear a helmet while she's riding her rifle in the battlefield.

...and I think bringing up Guilty Crown is perfectly appropriate. That show looked interesting (and was) before it began to break down several episodes in. The same could easily happen here.

I don't know the director's work, but I guess the writer might be promising --- Accel World was okay (oh, and My-HiME, plus a lot of other good stuff (bad stuff, too, e.g., Code Geass)), and the production company did Emma, so it's got that going for them.

What's wrong? Let's just say they hid the key visual for the show until this week for a reason.

Personally I think the gun-riding witch torpedoes the setting and makes the whole deal rather, let's just say, unrealistic. It's like if the witches in Maria started to ride swords and use that to fight people rather than cast magic spells. It's weird to have this elaborate historical fiction and then undermine it by having the silliest witches visually. I suppose it works if you buy it, but I think they lost me on it.

As for the breakdown, I guess I see what you mean lol. But still a low blow. Why not say Mai-Hime?
Random Wanderer
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

Member No.: 51878

QUOTE (omoikane @ Oct 9 2016, 02:48 PM)
What's wrong? Let's just say they hid the key visual for the show until this week for a reason.

Personally I think the gun-riding witch torpedoes the setting and makes the whole deal rather, let's just say, unrealistic. It's like if the witches in Maria started to ride swords and use that to fight people rather than cast magic spells. It's weird to have this elaborate historical fiction and then undermine it by having the silliest witches visually. I suppose it works if you buy it, but I think they lost me on it.

As for the breakdown, I guess I see what you mean lol. But still a low blow. Why not say Mai-Hime?

...The gun-riding thing has been in the previews practically since the series was announced. If that's a turn-off for you, you should have already known it was coming.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll