l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Why Are Copic Markers So Expensive?!
RZetlin
  Posted: May 11 2012, 11:33 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 28454

I have seen several manga artist use these brand of copic markers.

I am little surprised how expensive these markers are.

A set of 8 Marker + 1 Multiliner Pen cost $30. That is about $3.33 per pen.

For those who have used these markers are they worth the money?
PMEmail Poster
the_warrior_of_ruin
Posted: May 12 2012, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 68349

I guess if you have enough of em and you have the right paper, and you use them often enough to learn how they work, then they are worth it.

personaly I found them very difficult to use because of how long it takes to dry while working but I was not using the bets paper so this probably made all the diff...well that and I suck at using colours!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Raptor007
Posted: May 12 2012, 03:38 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1412

gonna just come out and say it
I'm pretty damn good with Copics
been using em for about 4 years, and there is a hell of a learning curve to use em too

Where i live, we have the double sided ones, and they go for like 6$ EACH!
this person on DA is a pro with em http://toosan.deviantart.com/gallery/
ok, if you wanna go down the road of COPIC use, than here are the things to know BEFORE you buy em and potentially screw em up

1---> do NOT use normal pencils with this things, they kinda act like sponges and will soak up that graphite, then your out 3$

2---> use a color pencil for your sketch work (like the pro's kinda) go with sky-blue, something light

3---> for INKING your gonna wanna use Sakura pens, Faber Castell are good too (actual pro's use Sakura though)

4---> freaking let the ink dry on pens and PRETEND to be in grammar school again, color IN THE LINES, these pens are ALCOHOL base and will soak up that ink and ruin the nub

5---> "OMG what if i accidentally get some on the nub?" use a scrap piece and color until it comes outta the nub, then your good to go again

6---> you DON'T need every FLIPPING color there is...these are PRICY because of what they can do, they BLEND, really really really well
My main set i use a ton E02 E00<---(main skin colors) B11 B24<---(basic blues) C3 C5 C7<---(greys great for shadowing) B34 <---(hella dark blue)
you'll find out eventually that you can make your own colors by blending certain ones
and by doing MULTIPLE passes, you can make your color DARKER

7---> all in all, i sell a ton of Original pieces using copics, i can charge way more because it's a one of a kind, and I use 11x14 so it looks good in a custom frame when I'm done

8---> PAPER I use Canson 11x14 Drawing Pads Heavu weight 111 Ib paper for all mine

2 of my newest Copic pieces ( and I'm still learning )

99% of these are done with copics like 2-3 years ago
http://raptor007.deviantart.com/gallery/23586568

user posted image

user posted image
Jarrod
Posted: May 12 2012, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 42357

I have a set of copics somewhere I used them and then lost interest, they are cool textures if you have a job and money they aren't that hard to afford.
PM
RZetlin
Posted: May 12 2012, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Has anybody use Prismacolor Premier Markers? They seem to be cheaper than Copic markers.

But is cheaper better?
PMEmail Poster
Empty Smile
Posted: May 12 2012, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

I'm Seraph, lol

Member No.: 27533

Honestly, I would probably recommend against using them unless you're really certain you are going to like them and use them regularly. They're a little cheaper on amazon, from a brief search, but you're paying for the name more than anything else.

If you really want to give them a try to see what you think about investing in more, try picking up a light, mid, and maybe a dark grey. Just try various things with them and see if you like the way they layer, interact with different media types, and if they're giving you the types of results you are wanting. You'll get a better mileage out of using greys until you decide whether or not you want more.

This post has been edited by Empty Smile on May 12 2012, 12:15 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Sajomir
Posted: May 13 2012, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

holy crap I have a custom title?

Member No.: 18669

From what I understand, Copics are one of the higher tier markers you can get for illustration. Unless you've had plenty of practice using markers and blending, ask yourself if you really need the name brand.

People who make a living off their art I can see getting more expensive markers for the best quality finish. They've also put the time in to make sure they can use the tools well. For someone like me, they'd be far too expensive.

Pinkachu
Posted: May 15 2012, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 59066

I'm sorry for not having anything to add to the OP but I freaking love the results that these markers give (I don't use them myself, just admire other peoples work).

I wish I could justify buying some. I draw more casually so I don't really have a reason to. Abloobloobloo. sad.gif

Just curious Raptor, how long do your markers last before you need to purchase new ones?
PMEmail Poster
Raptor007
Posted: May 15 2012, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

depends...
I can get 2 complete pages colored about with 1 marker give or take
but remember we are talking 11x14 paper
also, you can remove the nib and pour more fluid into them
they do sell refill kits, so its good to have those if you have 4 or 5 colors that you use way more than others
RZetlin
Posted: May 16 2012, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I decided to visit my local art store and try out some markers.

Here are the markers I tried out from best to worst:

Copic Markers aka the Royal Royce of Markers: I was split on getting the Ciao or the Sketch version. I decided to go with the Sketch because there are more colours available. For these brand of markers you may as well and go all out and get the best. Plus with the Ciao feels a ordinary sharpie marker.

I ended up getting 5 Copic Sketch Markers to try them out to see if it worth buying more in the future.

Letraset Pro Markers: I was very surprised how well these markers blend colours together. The marker ink is good as a Copic Marker. Another advantage Letraset has over the Copic Markers is the lower pricing - Letraset is half the price of the Copic Marker. I ended up getting the Manga Starter pack with 10 markers for under $30. If money is an issue Letraset Pro Markers are a very good cheap alternative to Copic markers.

The downside with these markers is the label is nothing more than a paper wrapping - I can see this easily come off. The marker tips are not colour coded like Copic Markers so its hard to tell the colour of the marker when placed in a pile. The barrel also feels like a oversize crayon.

Chartpak AD Markers: Colour blends well. The downside with this marker, it is single tip. I didn't bother buying any.

Prismacolor Premier Markers: The most disappointing of the markers I have tired out. The colours do not blend well together, instead you get streaks with each stroke. I tired out two different colours to ensure it wasn't because the marker wasn't dry out. Like the Letraset Pro Markers, the labels are made out of paper and the tips are black. Prismacolor Marker is about $1 more than a Letraset Marker. I passed on this marker.

This post has been edited by RZetlin on May 16 2012, 10:35 PM
PMEmail Poster
Raptor007
Posted: May 17 2012, 12:39 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

yeah..those whole "Manga Markers" or "Manga Pens" are generally a rip off
the Pro's use Copics, and Sakura Pens
and there is a very good reason you got the results you did..cheap markers
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic