l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> The Legend Of Korra, I'm the avatar, deal with it!
stageninja
Posted: May 5 2012, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

I'm a pony now. Ponies are cool.

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 18430

I'm surprised there isn't a post about this, although our forums are dead and all that jazz.

I've been following the show since it started and look forward to catching it later tonight.

70 years since the events of the first series, The Legend of Korra follows the new avatar, 16 year old Korra from the Southern Water Tribe. I love the contrast between her and Aang's experience. While Aang was more of a thinker and pacifist, Korra is definitely more of a muscle-head who perfers to solve problems by punching them really, really hard.

In the post-war environment, technology has advanced and the world has gotten more cosmopolitan, especially in Republic City where the story is taking place.

I love the direction this series has gone in. A lot of times a popular series (more-so videogames though) will choose to recreate their success by telling the same story with only cosmetic changes. This show feels more like a natural progression, exploring the consequences of the previous series.

Any other viewers out there that still post on the forum?
PM
Manual
Posted: May 5 2012, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 7815

Gawds yes. I thank the gods that be and were that Nick posts the episodes online.

I like the characters, though I've started equating Mako to Zukho and his brother to Sokka, and that annoys me some. Just a tad oversimilar.

This post has been edited by Manual on May 5 2012, 08:27 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
DJ_Izumi
Posted: May 5 2012, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Not As Big A Furfag As Pero^2

Member No.: 1468

I had actually never watched Avatar, and only finished watching it a week or so before The Legend of Korra came out.

I'm actually enjoying both and it's interesting to something that rather stands out in comparison to other North American weekly animated series.

Though it's kinda sad to watch something when most of the characters you loved from the first series are dead. Not even LONG dead, some are recently dead.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Sapphire
Posted: May 6 2012, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

Member No.: 7542

This show is the best.

I'm pretty much going to learn how to make leather masks specifically so I can make a really awesome Amon mask for DragonCon.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
stageninja
Posted: May 10 2012, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Manual @ May 5 2012, 09:27 PM)
Gawds yes. I thank the gods that be and were that Nick posts the episodes online.

I like the characters, though I've started equating Mako to Zukho and his brother to Sokka, and that annoys me some. Just a tad oversimilar.

I can see that, although I didn't pick up on Mako=Zuko until you pointed it out.

I can't argue that their character gesalt isn't very similar, although I do enjoy the way their finer differences play out in unexpected ways (imho) during some episodes.

Most notably, last week's love triangle between Mako, Korra, and Bo. I can establish from that episode that Bo does not do as well with the ladies compared to Sokka; also where Sokka would try to play things cool ... Bo will full on ugly-cry. That scene was amazing.
PM
TheWinkel
Posted: May 10 2012, 06:03 PM
Quote Post

I'll catch you yet, my pretties

Member No.: 23699

QUOTE (Sapphire @ May 6 2012, 09:05 PM)
This show is the best.

You should probably watch the original :V
PMEmail Poster
Sapphire
Posted: May 10 2012, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

Member No.: 7542

QUOTE (TheWinkel @ May 10 2012, 07:03 PM)

I really should. Now that it's apparently on Netflix I really have no excuse (previous excuse was "But I have to put a DVD in?!").
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
silent killer
Posted: May 10 2012, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 23875

QUOTE (stageninja @ May 10 2012, 03:35 PM)
Most notably, last week's love triangle between Mako, Korra, and Bo. I can establish from that episode that Bo does not do as well with the ladies compared to Sokka; also where Sokka would try to play things cool ... Bo will full on ugly-cry. That scene was amazing.

thank you for bringing that up. I was busting a gut when that scene occurred. I even had to rewind it a few times. Jesus Christ Bo, keep it together. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
Eclectic Replicant
Posted: May 10 2012, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

Active Membrane

Member No.: 32665

QUOTE (silent killer @ May 11 2012, 01:25 AM)
thank you for bringing that up. I was busting a gut when that scene occurred. I even had to rewind it a few times. Jesus Christ Bo, keep it together. laugh.gif

Best scene so far.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Manual
Posted: May 11 2012, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

The one major 'thing' that I like about tLA over LoK is the way the 'big bad' interacts with the story. In the last airbender, the big bad was always there, but very much in the background until the end, as more of a nebulous idea than an actual character. In Legend of Korra, the big bad is a character from the get go (and not a well fleshed out character, yet) that has major involvement in the story so far.

I much prefer tLA's approach for an episodic series, especially since Amon is, so far, a crappy character. But...I can see why the writers for LoK decided on this approach given the more limited setting.

Oh yes, one more thing- Fire Ferret > Bat Monkey.
PMEmail PosterAOL
stageninja
Posted: May 15 2012, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (TheWinkel @ May 10 2012, 07:03 PM)

The first season was kind of "eh" to me, but it really picked up at the season finale and found its stride in the subsequent seasons.

I think the pace of Legend of Korra has benefitted from the previous series, as there isn't as much world-building to establish per say.

One thing both series do really well is the fight choreography. Last episode? Damn fun to watch Korra and Lynn duke it out with the Equalists.

This post has been edited by stageninja on May 15 2012, 03:37 PM
PM
silent killer
Posted: May 15 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

That was an awesome fight scene. It was like there was no wasted movement on Lynn's part. This is what happens when you hire professional martial artists to choreograph your fight sequences.
PMEmail Poster
Manual
Posted: May 15 2012, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Betting pool on when Korra finally goes glowy?
PMEmail PosterAOL
DJ_Izumi
Posted: May 15 2012, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Not As Big A Furfag As Pero^2

Member No.: 1468

Grown up Toph on screen for half a second!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
unusmundus
Posted: May 16 2012, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 45008

Lightning Bending to generate electricity was so my idea wub.gif

everything about this show is about growth and progress

used to be rare skills (metal/lightning/chi block) are now common which is awesome

I am so loving the interaction of bending with technology

i do wish we see korra all glowy and some spirit world stuff soon though

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
silent killer
Posted: May 16 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

I really wonder just how common those skills really are. all we get to see is this one city that seems to be at the bleeding edge of technology for their time, but what happens when you leave the city.
PMEmail Poster
Nem
Posted: May 16 2012, 01:27 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 39070

You wouldn't have thought there'd be enough people who had achieved inner harmony for them to be a viable generator substitute....

#

I haven't been enjoying the fights in this one as much as in the old one. Largely because pro-bending is so... random. There are no visible tactics at play. The two sides just beat on each other until someone screws up.

It's a side quest that had to be run through, once they'd raised it, but at the same time I can't help feeling it's been rather awkwardly crowbarred into the story to provide some fight scenes that, at the end of the day, aren't that engaging. It's long past time to return to the genocidal maniac storyline.

#

The latest episode was one of the better ones. Things look to be picking up nicely.

#

Lin's my favourite character so far. Kora... is a bit childish. Not too surprising considering her upbringing, mind. Hopefully she'll get over it at a fairly accelerated pace.

This post has been edited by Nem on May 16 2012, 01:34 PM
PM
stageninja
Posted: May 16 2012, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Manual @ May 11 2012, 11:00 AM)
The one major 'thing' that I like about tLA over LoK is the way the 'big bad' interacts with the story. In the last airbender, the big bad was always there, but very much in the background until the end, as more of a nebulous idea than an actual character. In Legend of Korra, the big bad is a character from the get go (and not a well fleshed out character, yet) that has major involvement in the story so far.

I much prefer tLA's approach for an episodic series, especially since Amon is, so far, a crappy character. But...I can see why the writers for LoK decided on this approach given the more limited setting.

Oh yes, one more thing- Fire Ferret > Bat Monkey.

It does seem like Amon plays out as more of a narrative plot device there to introduce conflict and move the plot along than anything resembling a compelling character at this point.

A good illustration of that to me is when he busts up the pro-bending championship game. While he goes on his Equalist rant the scene quickly shifts to the peril of our heroes. You can still hear what he's saying, but you're really not paying attention. You don't care.

Hopefully, as the series progresses he becomes a more compelling character. Some of the best villians are the ones where you believe their charisma and can see why people follow them (example: when Magneto is written well in X-Men).

So far, I've enjoyed the tension between people who can and cannot bend and the advancement of technology as an interesting hook for conflict, but not interesting antagonists have emerged yet.
PM
daesim
Posted: May 17 2012, 01:09 AM
Quote Post

Too macho for the rapture. OHHHHHH YEAH!!!

Member No.: 48830

Metal bending, and lightning being so common is a little jarring to me. This stuff used to be reserved for the elite and now it's so everyday that you can spend your days making minimum wage generating lightning? Craaaaaazy.
PMEmail Poster
stageninja
Posted: May 17 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Manual @ May 15 2012, 09:10 PM)
Betting pool on when Korra finally goes glowy?

I'm calling it as the season finale episode -- that's when we'll get a more complete picture of those flashbacks of the original series gang that has been illuded to.

I was talking to TheDivineWind yesterday and he made a good point that Korra may have a more difficult time accessing the Avatar state since she seems to have more trouble grasping spiritual efforts.
PM
silent killer
Posted: May 17 2012, 09:28 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

QUOTE (stageninja @ May 17 2012, 09:10 AM)
I'm calling it as the season finale episode -- that's when we'll get a more complete picture of those flashbacks of the original series gang that has been illuded to.

I was talking to TheDivineWind yesterday and he made a good point that Korra may have a more difficult time accessing the Avatar state since she seems to have more trouble grasping spiritual efforts.

I'm more concerned what happens afterward. She doesn't have the discipline to control the avatar state. Hell, even Aang could barely control it at first. And he was raised by monks.
PMEmail Poster
Nem
Posted: May 18 2012, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Local

Mmm, you'd think that getting into / controlling the avatar state would be the mainstay of their training - considering it's their trump card.

QUOTE (stageninja @ May 17 2012, 10:10 AM)

Strong emotions - despair, fear of death - seem to get you into it as well. At least going by Ang's example.

This post has been edited by Nem on May 18 2012, 11:42 AM
PM
Manual
Posted: May 18 2012, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

QUOTE (Nem @ May 18 2012, 12:38 PM)

Strong emotions - despair, fear of death - seem to get you into it as well. At least going by Ang's example.

Going into the Avatar State at will requires having no attachments and a finely balanced and tuned mind/spirit/body, if we go by the training Ang went through to learn how to do that.

The Avatar State, however, will kick in as a defense mechanism + extreme emotion, which will undoubtedly be how Korra first goes glowy.

My biggest question now is...how did Amon learn Soul Bending?

This post has been edited by Manual on May 18 2012, 06:38 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Nem
Posted: May 18 2012, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Local

From Zuko's daddy, I imagine. I notice we haven't heard much about that side of the old cast yet....
PM
Eclectic Replicant
Posted: May 18 2012, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Active Membrane

Member No.: 32665

QUOTE (Manual @ May 18 2012, 08:38 PM)

My biggest question now is...how did Amon learn Soul Bending?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic