l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ghibli Retrospective, May 2012 (RIGHT NOW) in Portland, OR
Qix
Posted: May 4 2012, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 21092

So this thread is mostly to let people know that NW Film Center in Portland Oregon is holding a Ghibli Retrospective with a screening of their films, but I think we can have a general discussion of Ghibli too.

http://www.nwfilm.org/screenings/41/428/

Naussica started today, with additional screening tomorrow and Sunday. Does anyone in the Portland are want to go and meet up for any of the screenings?

THIS WEEKEND:
Naussica / Totoro / Laputa Castle In The Sky

LATER:
Kiki's
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke
Ocean Waves
Porco Rosso
The Yamadas
Spirited Away
Pom Poko
Whisper of The Heart
Howl's Moving Castle

Tickets $9 general, $8 senior/student/members, $6 friends of the center

What are your favs? I think I will see Naussica at least, since I have never seen it on the big screen. I will think about some of the ones I haven't seen, like Yamadas, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, and Howl.
PMEmail Poster
uncreative
Posted: May 5 2012, 01:35 AM
Quote Post

Endlessly looping, never updating.

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 54034

QUOTE (Qix @ May 4 2012, 05:35 PM)
Does anyone in the Portland are want to go and meet up for any of the screenings?

I would, but I'm busy at all the wrong times ;___________;

I will think about some of the ones I haven't seen, like Yamadas, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, and Howl.

Well, you should at least do Whisper of the Heart.
PM
Shiro
Posted: May 5 2012, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Beautiful fighter.

Member No.: 36127

Only Yesterday is so worth your time.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Qix
Posted: May 5 2012, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

QUOTE (Shiro @ May 5 2012, 03:23 PM)
Only Yesterday is so worth your time.

So, nothing else then? :V
PMEmail Poster
Nem
Posted: May 5 2012, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 39070

I loved Porco Rosso. It feels, to me at least, like a cross between Cowboy Bebop and Casablanca.

I originally found it looking for something you'd be more likely to get from a healing anime like Aria. But things like Aria have always spoken to me more of death than of life. Nothing ever changes and the saccharine atmosphere takes on a tone more like drugs than happiness.

The happiness in PR, by contrast, is framed in a fragile bubble. There are characters that have suffered, trying to live happy lives while aware of that fragility.

It's well worth going to see if you're into that sort of thing.

Or even if you just enjoy beautifully animated old-world planes dancing amongst gorgeous skyscapes. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Nem on May 5 2012, 07:37 PM
PM
dm
Posted: May 5 2012, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Bothering no one, touching nothing, fixing the Primus.

Member No.: 263

Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, and Princess Mononoke would be my priorities for the big screen. Probably Pom Poko next.

Ocean Waves is a charming short (as in, it's only an hour long), but it was originally made for TV broadcast, so I don't know if I'd put a priority on seeing it on the big screen. Except I don't think it's ever gotten a video release in the US, so that might be a reason to see it (the same for Yamadas).

PMEmail Poster
Qix
Posted: May 5 2012, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MISSED CASTLE IN THE SKY BECAUSE COULDN'T FIND THEATER ohmy.gif

FYI guys, it's in the art museum, you get into it through the entrance between the two buildings, where they have the sculpture garden.

Ah well, at least I won't miss Naussica tomorrow. Are you Portlanders sure you guys can't make it?
PMEmail Poster
Lain of the Wired
Posted: May 5 2012, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Pretty is Justice.

Member No.: 22291

QUOTE (Qix @ May 4 2012, 09:35 PM)
Yamadas, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves

Still haven't seen these ones either, or Pom Poko. And I've only seen Totoro once, in the original kinda crummy American dubbed version. I should check that out again.

I'm annoyed by how Castle of Cagliostro always gets a short shrift because it's not a Ghibli movie (I guess). But it has all of the Miyazaki hallmarks and is awesome. I'd kill to see that on the big screen

This post has been edited by Lain of the Wired on May 5 2012, 11:41 PM
PMEmail Poster
Shiro
Posted: May 6 2012, 03:38 AM
Quote Post

Beautiful fighter.

Member No.: 36127

QUOTE (Qix @ May 6 2012, 01:14 AM)
So, nothing else then? :V

The whole lot of them are worth your time. I just really like Only Yesterday. tongue.gif

Porco Rosso is my favourite Ghibli film though.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Qix
Posted: May 6 2012, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Just got back from Naussica, some quick impressions:

No drinks or food being sold since they're not allowed to in an art museum. They probably wouldn't mind if you snuck a bottled water in, though.

I hadn't thought about what version they were going to show, but it definitely wasn't the Disney version.
35mm film projection. The beginning parts were a bit scratchy, but it got better later.
Lol WWF(the animal org) logo flashes in Japanese at the beginning, asking people to contribute. Was this from the original screenings?
White subtitles, some interesting choices like spelling "Corvette" as "Korbet", but it was pretty good. I should have just ignored them and listened to the audio, though.
I forgot the translator's credits, but I think it was "Aira Cine Corp" or something.
Audio was definitely not surround - in fact, I'm not sure if it was even stero. All audio came from the direction of the screen, even though I was pretty close. It works, though, since the movie wasn't designed to have fancy audio anyway.

Audience was big, maybe about half the seats were taken. Lots of kids and older people, but largest group was adults 20-30ish
Someone while walking out was wondering why Naussica wasn't wearing pants, boyfriend insists she was tongue.gif
Everyone clapped at the end.

But enough about the screening. The film:
It's been a while since I'd seen it, but I was not disappointed. Seeing it on the big screen makes it even more epic than it already is, and it's a pretty epic film.
Long, but very few scenes where little is happening. It's such a densely packed film that you never get bored.
Even after almost two hours of film, they still have to cut into the end credits to show important scenes like rebuilding the valley and the Torumekians leaving in peace.
Naussica seems like more of a too-perfect character now than when I saw it while younger, but that may just be because stuff is happening around her all the time.
I've heard people complain about the music, but I've always liked the alien feel of it. It only gets distracting in a few action scenes where the 'exciting' music of the 80s feels dated. All of the orchestral stuff is fine, and DAT SINGING ohmy.gif 'La lalala la la la' - manly tears were shed.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to finish work I've been putting off ohmy.gif

In the meantime: Naussica Of The Valley Of Wind is the most epic film ever made. Discuss.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll