l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cabin In The Woods, The most useless thread
shoeboxjeddy
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Still accepting applications~

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 45553

So Cabin in the Woods is freaking great and anyone with ANY taste for the horror genre should go see it immediately. But not because it's the new Halloween or Saw or whatever. It's more like... Hot Fuzz of the horror world, but done in a (mostly) more serious way. The reason the thread is somewhat useless is that giving away spoilers to people who haven't seen it yet would be pretty lame in the case of this movie. So I expect a quick death unless people have seen it (or if people want convincing?) and we can talk about some of the scenes that are crying for a DVD freeze frame the minute you see them.
PM
stageninja
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

I'm a pony now. Ponies are cool.

Member No.: 18430

I didn't really think much of it just because horror movies usually have niche genre appeal that don't carry much interest unless you are a fan of those kind of movies in general.

However, I've heard great (non spoiler) buzz over the film that makes it sound worth the watch beyond niche appeal.

Plus, Joss Whedon has pulled me into liking media that on premise I did not think I would be interested in (example: Dollhouse).
PM
Tomar
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Member No.: 205

It is good they released Cabin in the Woods now. Although I think this movie is one of the best year (so far), it would have gotten lost in the summer.
PMEmail Poster
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 05:40 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 72044

Seen it twice now, still such an amazing movie. I think it might be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Anybody want to talk about SPOILERS? Did anybody get the reference to the 1998 reference without looking it up?
PM
errantrogue
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Captain?

Member No.: 37041

This is... the GREATEST HORROR MOVIE... EVER.

I am serious.

If you were on the fence about going to see this movie, go now.

If you had no desire to see this horror movie... GO ANYWAY.

This movie takes the entire genre and stands it on it's head. Bradly Whitford and Richard Jenkins... not to mention Andrew (Tom Lenk) and Fred (Amy Acker)... some of the BEST bad/good guy casting I have ever seen. The leads all worked, the reveals and misdirects made pacing perfect...

and the elevators...

THE ELEVATORS!

(not to mention the cenobytes)
PMEmail Poster
Kegluneq
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

'X' never, ever marks the spot
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 6290

QUOTE (snakeandbetta @ Apr 21 2012, 11:40 AM)
Anybody want to talk about SPOILERS?  Did anybody get the reference to the 1998 reference without looking it up?

It's literally impossible to talk about the film at all without spoilers. It is pretty awesome.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I didn't actually get the connection - but only because I didn't remember what year The Truman Show was released in... Obviously that was a key inspiration for the film, alongside genre classics such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. The litany of horror movie monsters (and tropes) referenced is truly impressive. The Japanese branch's inspiration was obvious, but what about the others?

Not totally sure about the ending - it felt a bit 'rocks fall, everyone dies' to me (why do they even have a 'release the monsters' button?). I was partially expecting Fran Kranz's character to turn out to be the 'virgin', since it was stated that Dana wasn't at the beginning of the film - but that would make her the 'fool', which also wouldn't fit. Not that I'm overly upset with the resolution.

Edit: Hilarious Christian interpretation of the film that sort of misses the point...

This post has been edited by Kegluneq on Apr 24 2012, 10:32 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Actually, I heard it wasn't Truman show. Look for a horror movie released that year /that didn't follow the tropes presented in CitW/.
PM
Kegluneq
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (snakeandbetta @ Apr 24 2012, 08:26 PM)
Actually, I heard it wasn't Truman show.  Look for a horror movie released that year /that didn't follow the tropes presented in CitW/.

I dunno, nothing from this list really leaps out at me. :/

This post has been edited by Kegluneq on Apr 24 2012, 10:51 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Tech Knight
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 56221

QUOTE (Kegluneq @ Apr 24 2012, 10:23 AM)
It's literally impossible to talk about the film at all without spoilers. It is pretty awesome.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I didn't actually get the connection - but only because I didn't remember what year The Truman Show was released in... Obviously that was a key inspiration for the film, alongside genre classics such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. The litany of horror movie monsters (and tropes) referenced is truly impressive. The Japanese branch's inspiration was obvious, but what about the others?

Not totally sure about the ending - it felt a bit 'rocks fall, everyone dies' to me (why do they even have a 'release the monsters' button?). I was partially expecting Fran Kranz's character to turn out to be the 'virgin', since it was stated that Dana wasn't at the beginning of the film - but that would make her the 'fool', which also wouldn't fit. Not that I'm overly upset with the resolution.

Edit: Hilarious Christian interpretation of the film that sort of misses the point...

Maybe it was part of the Ritual? Part of the Plan? A vulnerability they had to impose on themselves just in case?

Or maybe they just went olololol like that'll ever happen~

Biggest theory I heard was that it was [SPOILER]To eliminate all evidence in case something goes wrong, or else was something that was used in transfering the monsters around. It did look like they were fiddling with/disabling quite a few things before hitting that button.[/SPOILER]
PMEmail Poster
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Addict

SPOILERS

I read that the 1998 reference was to The Faculty. None of the main cast actually died in that movie.
PM
errantrogue
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Captain?

QUOTE (Tech Knight @ Apr 25 2012, 03:37 PM)
Maybe it was part of the Ritual? Part of the Plan? A vulnerability they had to impose on themselves just in case?

Or maybe they just went olololol like that'll ever happen~

Biggest theory I heard was that it was [SPOILER]To eliminate all evidence in case something goes wrong, or else was something that was used in transfering the monsters around. It did look like they were fiddling with/disabling quite a few things before hitting that button.[/SPOILER]

Personally, it felt like a fail safe against the departments in case they grew a conscience. Note that it was in the security office.

My main questions about the movie concerned The Director. She shows up for third act hijinks, but there's no real explanation as to what she actually DOES... whether or not she's just an evilcorp ceo or sorceress... or how she got her information about certain parties being alive or dead.

As awesome as it was to have her cameo in the third act, it seemed a bit too meta to fit in hindsight. I still love it to death, but it's inconsistent. I would've been much happier with Fred turning into a false flag demon or something sabotaging the ritual from within ("whose fault was that again? Chem department's?") instead of randomly being taken away by a tentacle.

And no after credits denouement? For shaaaame, Joss... for shaaaaaame.

I read that the 1998 reference was to The Faculty. None of the main cast actually died in that movie.

Tell that to Laura Harris.

This post has been edited by errantrogue on Apr 25 2012, 05:31 PM
PMEmail Poster
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Actually, if you listen to the announcements at the start of the movie, that's still the Director...
PM
errantrogue
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Captain?

QUOTE (snakeandbetta @ Apr 25 2012, 05:31 PM)
Actually, if you listen to the announcements at the start of the movie, that's still the Director...

That's groovy, but for some reason I get the feeling The Director is more important than an overblown announcer. Based on what Jenkins and Whitford hint at all movie.
PMEmail Poster
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Addict

One thing that is worth noting is that the corporate structure is upside down from a normal. The lower you go, the more powerful the people are. Perhaps she's the direct communication with "The Gods".

Speaking of "The Gods". Think of the movie as the gods representing the viewer.
PM
Kegluneq
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (snakeandbetta @ Apr 25 2012, 09:51 PM)
SPOILERS

Ahh, I'd forgotten that. That would explain the 'chem department's failure' given that a student's drug was key to surviving that film as well (there was also an intelligent jock).
Tell that to Laura Harris.

Well, she was the alien. (Yes I am fine with spoiling films from the 90s.)
And no after credits denouement? For shaaaame, Joss... for shaaaaaame.

Yeah, that annoyed me. Since I was the only person to stay in the cinema to watch. :S
Speaking of "The Gods". Think of the movie as the gods representing the viewer.

I dunno, there were a few issues with the ending that kind of confound any interpretation other than that it was simply a revised ancient cult that went wrong. They could have gone in a more clever direction with the third act imo.
Perhaps she's the direct communication with "The Gods".

I thought it was pretty clear she was the 'High Priestess' equivalent.
PMEmail PosterMSN
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Look at the parts about Japan. It was a different type of "sacrifice" that fell in with what Japanese horror audiences like. Same thing with the other countries. I really do think that the gods are supposed to be the audience.

Also, maybe the director of the company is supposed to be the producer of the movie? Making sure everything gets done right and to regulations?
PM
errantrogue
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Captain?

Actually, the Japanese scenes did bug me a little in that regard. How do they set up the sacrifice? Is it always a girl's school and, if so, why? Is it the same school and a class dies every year and is hushed up or did the Jp team bring the Youma to the girls?

Makes me wonder if, in Japan, it's a reverse of the American method... as in, the scientists randomly pick a youma and then take it to an already vetted pool of potential sacrifices (instead of letting the sacrifices do the picking by giving them a plethora of choices).

I'd love to ask Joss and Drew their thoughts on how the other countries operated their sacrifices.
PMEmail Poster
shoeboxjeddy
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Still accepting applications~

Member No.: 45553

QUOTE (errantrogue @ Apr 27 2012, 10:30 AM)
Actually, the Japanese scenes did bug me a little in that regard. How do they set up the sacrifice? Is it always a girl's school and, if so, why? Is it the same school and a class dies every year and is hushed up or did the Jp team bring the Youma to the girls?

Makes me wonder if, in Japan, it's a reverse of the American method... as in, the scientists randomly pick a youma and then take it to an already vetted pool of potential sacrifices (instead of letting the sacrifices do the picking by giving them a plethora of choices).

I'd love to ask Joss and Drew their thoughts on how the other countries operated their sacrifices.

Er no. The obvious supposition would be that all Japanese horror films are previous sacrifices. So Ringu, the Grudge, etc. The American control room praises their efficiency (last girl syndrome is less prevalent in Japanese horror and happy endings are practically non-existent) but diss their methods (the genre divide of "weird" Japanese horror and standard "tits and gore" American horror there). As for the girl's school, it could be a Battle Royale setup where they took over a certain school and then went at it. Or they could have drugged the girls on the bus or whatever and took them to the setup which they made LOOK like their school.

@Keg, I'm confused by ending confusion. Cthulu (my interpretation, not specifically stated) likes violence and titties. When he doesn't get it from any one of the groups that year, he fully wakes up to kill everything. The director is the one who calls and notes that The Fool has not died yet. So it should be supposed that all directives and rules have come down from her in the first place and she is also viewing the situation on an even higher level than the control room guys.
PM
snakeandbetta
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Addict

They do like to kill Japanese girls in their horror movies. Look at the line, "Not a single fatality".
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll