l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia, Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
VRMaster
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Searching for the secret

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 43979

The first episode was hilarious and offered some hints as to a deeper story. Episode two did much of the same, with more evidence building for Yuuko as my favorite character of this young season and some more truly awesome moments, both funny and serious (mostly funny).

But aside from the really surprisingly effective comedy, the visual presentation and direction has been absolutely top notch. It's surprising to see a comedy get this kind of treatment, even if they have a story to tell, but I guess if I was going to go to any team for a distinctive visual style, you can't do much better than Shin Oonuma and Silver Link have done here.

It's just an all-around impressive production. I'm not sure how long it can keep it up, but through two episodes it's making me laugh an awful lot while actually investing me a bit with the characters and their story. Definitely a keeper for me.

The Crunchyroll stream goes up every Sunday at Midnight.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

Member No.: 51878

QUOTE (VRMaster @ Apr 16 2012, 12:58 AM)
It's surprising to see a comedy get this kind of treatment

Hmm... I don't know if I'd call this a comedy, judging from the manga. There're plenty of funny parts in it, but... well the final tone of the stories tends more towards the dramatic than the humorous. It's been sliding more towards seriousness as the manga has gone on. Heavy character focus: just seeing how the characters deal with the mysteries is at least as interesting as the mysteries themselves.

It's... yeah. I just can't look at some of those chapters and say this series is a comedy. It's got humor, which it uses to very good effect, but... it has a darker side as well.

Anyway. I posted a comment elsewhere about episode two. Might as well drag it over here.

Hmm. They're really abusing that cat bell. I wonder what they're planning to do with it, since it wasn't in the manga.

The basic stories played out just about perfectly, though. They created some extra scenes that flashed onscreen during the first part, glimpses of a dark reflection of Yuuko and so on, but it was mostly right. Much the same for the second part.

Yuuko explained fairly well the way the rules for seeing ghosts seem to work: if you expect to see something, you'll see what you expect. If you don't expect to see anything, you won't see anything. Also, she pointed out earlier an interesting detail about her physical limitations. She can't simply magically change her clothes in an instant. "If you can't do it, neither can I." That sets the rule for just about everything she does. She can't fly, she can't walk through walls, she can't mysteriously transport herself from one place to another. She is human in almost every respect.

A point that that indirectly reminded me of: in the first part, right after Yuuko startles Teiichi when he's looking in the mirror, she asks him "Does my face look that frightening to you?" While she is being playful, she's not just being playful. Remembering how seeing her works, that's actually a legitimate question. She could very easily have looked like a monster to Teiichi, if that's what he'd been expecting to see.

So, this episode is how it begun. It still seems a little odd that they didn't begin the series with it, but whatever. The story's been told, the club has been created, the lying to the ever-gullible Momoe has begun, and now it is time for us to move forward from here.

This post has been edited by Random Wanderer on Apr 15 2012, 11:19 PM
PMEmail Poster
VRMaster
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

Searching for the secret

Member No.: 43979

I see the potential for it to get darker, but episode one and two were pretty decidedly tilted towards the humorous to the point where I'd consider it the dominant genre. Obviously the story is darker, but at least from my perspective of knowing nothing but the anime, it's been mostly comedic.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (VRMaster @ Apr 16 2012, 01:29 AM)
I see the potential for it to get darker, but episode one and two were pretty decidedly tilted towards the humorous to the point where I'd consider it the dominant genre. Obviously the story is darker, but at least from my perspective of knowing nothing but the anime, it's been mostly comedic.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. I just intended to warn you that, if they follow the pattern of the manga, things will get darker, so if all you're expecting out of this is a somewhat unusual comedy, you could end up getting burned.
PMEmail Poster
Neko_Len
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 02:57 AM
Quote Post

poe~poe~

Member No.: 37891

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 15 2012, 09:55 PM)
Yeah, I can totally understand that. I just intended to warn you that, if they follow the pattern of the manga, things will get darker, so if all you're expecting out of this is a somewhat unusual comedy, you could end up getting burned.

i have to agree. somewhat. the story really does not get /too/ dark. the balance in the manga is struck very well between comedy and drama. without spoiling, yes it does get more dramatic, but still manages to keep the comedy angle going.

then again my definition of dark is likely pretty different than RW's . I mean its not like im twisted and have a sadistic streak or anything (shut up hisui)...but i actually really appreciate the balance, more so if it was more one or the other.

also in the anime i keep picturing Yuuko in the search of the best ramen, but thats a different matter.

This post has been edited by Neko_Len on Apr 16 2012, 03:17 AM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
omoikane
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 04:59 AM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

am i the only one who is watching this for Takane x Arashi (Natsu no Arashi)?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOL
wordwarrior
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

~Super☆Affection~

Member No.: 57076

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 16 2012, 04:59 AM)

Are we time traveling yet?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 16 2012, 06:59 AM)

Since I've never seen Natsu no Arashi, I'm certainly not. I started watching this because the premise caught my attention. I liked what I saw of it last week, and I liked Yuuko, so I read the manga and then decided to stick around for this episode. I'll keep watching it until I... stop watching it. I rarely have a reason to stop watching things beyond "I don't feel like watching the latest episode right now" turning into "I don't feel like wtaching the latest 10 episodes right now," so I have no idea when or if I'll stop watching this. But I still like it, for the moment.
PMEmail Poster
dm
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Bothering no one, touching nothing, just fixing the Primus.

Member No.: 263

Yes, I noticed the resemblance to Arashi, too. Though really the ghost I'm most reminded of is Yuyuko, especially after this second episode.
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Member No.: 3729

Hime-cut. Sailor uniform. Red eyes. I reckon quite a few characters fit the bill.

Yuuka's personality is somewhat similar to Arashi I suppose, same sorta playful streak. Yuuka is way more flirtatious though.

Anyway I kinda expected the series to be a hell lot more darker and more about mysteries and nonsense. It seems to be futzing around nonsense for now, so hearing that it does get a bit more serious piques my interest. Currently its kinda amusing but not doing a whole lot for me.

PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

i gues Arashi didn't grow up in the 1990's.
Nestor
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

I started reading the manga some time back (and then I stopped, but only because there wasn't any more to read at the time) and I was somewhat entertained. It pretty much plays out like every single other highschool bullshit anime:
"okay, okay, okay, it's like, high school, right? but then, WACKY HIJINKS!" "OH WOW, BEST SELLER!"

The thing that got me (and kept me, I guess) is that for the most part it plays out like that, which is fine, but every so often there's a reminder: she's fucking DEAD. there's a morbid, sort of ghastly reminder that even though she's a lovable ghost, she's fucking DEAD.

I think that dichotomy is somewhat unique and adds some flavor.
PMEmail Poster
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (Nestor @ Apr 16 2012, 02:29 PM)
The thing that got me (and kept me, I guess) is that for the most part it plays out like that, which is fine, but every so often there's a reminder: she's fucking DEAD. there's a morbid, sort of ghastly reminder that even though she's a lovable ghost, she's fucking DEAD.

There's also the fact that her memories, along with all her rage and pain and hate, have separated themselves into an entirely different creature. A "shadow Yuuko" who also wanders the school, and who scares the crap out of people who encounter her unexpectedly, like Kirie did.

Lately Kirie's grandmother (Yuuko's younger sister) has been getting more attention as well. She seems to think that shadow Yuuko is all that is left of her sister, and she's taken some steps that might turn out badly for our Yuuko.
PMEmail Poster
dm
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Yuuko also reminds me a good deal of Yuuko. All she needs is an age-inappropriate taste for sake and a fondness for hitsuzen.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (dm @ Apr 16 2012, 09:58 PM)
Yuuko also reminds me a good deal of Yuuko.  All she needs is an age-inappropriate taste for sake and a fondness for hitsuzen.

Yuuko was also Oomura Shin. I think he is the connection between Arashi and Yuuko and Yuuko and Yuuko. Besides the whole "hey i'm an old dead ghost" connection. Obviously Arashi is archetypical like Yuuko is, but the shaft fingerprint is everywhere.

I really dig Yumi Hara in this. She makes the show so far.
dm
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 16 2012, 11:00 PM)
Yuuko was also Oomura Shin.

?? or ??

This post has been edited by dm on Apr 16 2012, 09:11 PM
PMEmail Poster
Nestor
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 16 2012, 11:41 AM)
There's also the fact that her memories, along with all her rage and pain and hate, have separated themselves into an entirely different creature. A "shadow Yuuko" who also wanders the school, and who scares the crap out of people who encounter her unexpectedly, like Kirie did.

Lately Kirie's grandmother (Yuuko's younger sister) has been getting more attention as well. She seems to think that shadow Yuuko is all that is left of her sister, and she's taken some steps that might turn out badly for our Yuuko.

I uhhh, haven't actually gotten that far.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 04:30 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (dm @ Apr 16 2012, 10:09 PM)
?? or ??

i'm talking about the director of dusk maiden of amnesia right?
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (Nestor @ Apr 17 2012, 02:36 AM)
I uhhh, haven't actually gotten that far.

If you haven't even gotten to the first spoiler then it's definitely been a while since you read the manga. You should take another look at it, because that fundamentally shifts everyone's understanding of Yuuko. Heck, it fundamentally shifts Yuuko's understanding of Yuuko.

This post has been edited by Random Wanderer on Apr 17 2012, 05:10 AM
PMEmail Poster
dm
  Posted: Apr 17 2012, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 17 2012, 06:30 AM)
i'm talking about the director of dusk maiden of amnesia right?

That would be the first set of question-marks, which, if followed, reveals no link to xxxHoLic, so I was wondering what the "Yuuko was also Oomura Shin" was all about.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (dm @ Apr 17 2012, 06:22 AM)
That would be the first set of question-marks, which, if followed, reveals no link to xxxHoLic, so I was wondering what the "Yuuko was also Oomura Shin" was all about.
Neko_Len
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

poe~poe~

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 17 2012, 12:04 PM)
http://myanimelist.net/character/4692/Yuuko_Amamiya

ef Yuuko is a whole fuckton creepier tho...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
omoikane
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (Neko_Len @ Apr 17 2012, 04:56 PM)
ef Yuuko is a whole fuckton creepier tho...

much more like a ghost.

tho some might find xxxHolic Yuuko pretty creepy too.
Neko_Len
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

poe~poe~

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 17 2012, 01:57 PM)
much more like a ghost.

tho some might find xxxHolic Yuuko pretty creepy too.

she is arguably less creepy dead than alive tho...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Qix
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 21092

Saw the first two eps, thought that the blond girl should have been replaced with Haruhi. Actually, I'd love to see a crossover series, but I guess Japan doesn't tend to do those kinds of things tongue.gif

Re: Yuuko/Arashi/xxxHolic -
Is there something about the 'hime cut' that implies supernatural or otherworldly? Because Jigoku Shoujo, Ga-Rei, and a few others have had the supernatural girl have this lovely haircut...

Googled for the chart, first hit for it was my copy tongue.gif

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp144/Q...69251286266.jpg
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll