l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> <dis/rec> Darker Tides, Warhammer on the High Seas
Codenametrigger
Posted: Apr 7 2012, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 57328

Ahoy, me hearties! Heard about the Vagrant, and her skeleton crew, eh? Well, let me inform you that its not a skeleton crew because no one wants to be on her, but the ships itself is cursed, me says. Every crew Captain Marckus takes on ends up either in prison or floating off to meet the Malestrom. If ye’ are brave souls, seeking adventure, there is no better ship to board. But to risk it all is only a small part of what’s asked of ye’. Climb aboard, and you will leave this life behind. You will become your ships namesake.

-Scabbard Sal, resident hermit of The Port of Sartosa.

Welcome ladies and Gents. It’s been a very long time for me, but I used to be a power poster here back in the day. I recognize a few people still here, but far fewer will recognize me. So hopefully, this will be a great game for us all, and maybe we can keep it up for a while.

The game “Darker Tides” is based off of the realm of Warhammer fantasy, more specifically, the recently released game, “Dreadfleet”. It’s a story of pirates and evil pirates battling against each other. For those of you not familiar with the Warhammer universe, it’s loosely based off of our world in the renaissance era, where pirates roamed free and huge countries battled it out constantly with cannons and muskets. However, the main twist comes with the races represented and the introduction of Chaos.

Chaos is evil, plain and simple. The four lords of Chaos went nothing more than to corrupt the world and make everyone either dead or slaves. Or dead slaves. Or slaves that are undead. You get the point. There is magic in the world, but it’s users have to tap into chaos, and doing so leaves them open to possession/ demon spawning. Therefore magic isn’t really a fantastic thing.

The Captain of the Pirate vessel, The Vagrant, is looking for a good crew to man his stations. His last adventure was not so successful, but he is off yet again with a gleam in his eye and a itch in his pocket. Here are the races that he will accept onto his boat:

Imperials: Humans, basically. Think old roman empire style politics, looks, and military. The largest in the world, but beset on all sides by enemies.

Brettons: Think Feudal French and British. Very heavily reliant on Knights, honor, and Country. Very proud.

Dark/High/Wood Elves: All separate races, all fairly obvious.

Dwarves: The dwarves are still the short, mountain dwellers we know and love, but after seeing the glory of the Elvish ships, decided that they could do it better. The only known Dwarven port city is Barak Var.

Lizards: Very based on Mayan and Incan cultures, not very advances, but a little more skilled in the ways of magic. Very old race, believed to be the first created.

Orcs: You better have a damned good reason to have an Orc character, but if it’s well thought out, I’ll consider it.

Skaven: Rat people, essentially. Very untrustworthy, especially among other Skaven. It’s in their culture to be sneaky and backstabbing. Don’t expect to be liked much as a Skaven character.

This is a Tier 5 game, meaning:
• Quality: High (3-4 paragraphs, at least. Try to describe not only the characters in more depth, but the environment around them.)
• Control: Medium (Expect the GM to know where the plot is going, and make you stick to it.)
• Survivability: Medium (Deaths may happen, but the GM won't kill you off at the drop of a hat.)
• Technicality: Medium-High (Weapons details and maps may be provided. Expect to know details about the story that won't come in until later in the plot.)

We are also implementing a <Tag> system. Basically, it allows a small amount of character control to speed the game up and prevent a certain amount of lag based off of people waiting on collabs.

Example:
Marcus walked up to Jenkins, the ships cook. “You better explain to me what our Skaven dignitary was doing inside of the stew…”
<Tag Jenkins>
“YOU THINK THAT IS ACCEPTABLE?” Shouted Marcus.

You see, I am allowing the other player to put their spin on the situation and respond as themselves, without putting words in their mouths. But at the same time, I can finish my post and wrap up a whole conversation without stumbling there for 2 weeks. Or, you can write half of a conversation, tag someone, and let them finish in case they want to do something. If you have questions about this, please PM me and I’ll explain in further detail.

Fill out this character sheet and post it if you are interested:
Name:
Position desired on ship:
Appearance (At least a paragraph):
Personality (Also at least a paragraph):
History (2-3 Paragraphs, minimum):
Special traits (Anything from Green thumb to wrench jockey. Anything that describes your characters talents):

Also, fill this out so I get an idea of where everyone wants to go with the story.

Survey Section:
5 Events (Something that you want to happen in the story):
5 Places (Anywhere you want to go):
5 Ideas (Anything at all):

Hope to see you all on deck!
-Captain Marcus Halison, Played By CNT.

P.S.Oh, and, if there is still an inquisition around, i accept your challenges!!

This post has been edited by Codenametrigger on Apr 7 2012, 11:52 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Manual
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 7815

Fuck. Yeah. You had me at 'Warhammer'. And 'Pirate'.

Name:  'Former Engineer' Dangrim Halftail
Race: Skaven
Height/Weight:  4' 6"/ 123lbs
Position desired on ship: [Let the Captain decide]

Appearance (At least a paragraph):   Dangrim Halftail is black furred with a ragged patch of white on his snout and face (as if an experiment exploded in his face...). His tail, still long enough to be useful for balance, ends in a stump heavily scarred with past burns, a match for the skin on his hairless belly.

Personality (Also at least a paragraph):

Dangrim is Skaven, through and through:  opportunistic, cowardly without support, and always willing to kick someone when they are down.  There is one exception, though- as a result of an experiment gone horribly wrong, Dangrim was cursed by a Demon of Tzeencth to always abide by his word.  This disastrous handicap (for a Skaven) is what caused Dangrim to leave Skaven society, as without the ability to cheat and swindle, his chances of survival there are limited.

That said, he is stubborn, and despite many explosive failures, he is still alive and pushing onward with his desire to master his manipulation of warpstone.

History (2-3 Paragraphs, minimum):  Dangrim was the last born in a litter of 13, and the only one of his litter with black fur.  This instantly set him apart from his 'siblings' and he was held to a higher standard and destined for greatness, in so much Skaven can be.  He was set to Stormvermin training when he became of age, and managed to scheme his way into leadership (the prized position at the back of the company) rather quickly.   However, in a skirmish against some clan Skyre mercenaries, his squad was blasted by a warp lightning cannon that also happened to explode and destroy its operators.  Protected by the mass of his company, Dangrim was the sole survivor of the incident.  Curious about the power of the cannon, Dangrim skittered about the wreckage and found the burned out corpses of the engineers.  He looted their bodies, took their possessions for his own, and was discovered by some Clan Skyre slave rats a few moments later.  Assuming he was of their clan, the slaverats took him back to a workshop. 

From their, Dangrim secluded himself and, after many explosions and mishaps,  taught himself the arcane workings of the engineers. Years later, Dangrim had once again worked himself into a position of power, this time within Clan Skyre, and using their resources, organized and led a huge ritual in order to bind a Demon of Tzeentch so as to plumb its knowledge of warp stone.  This was, in hindsight, a bad idea, and, again, Dangrim the sole survivor was left marked and cursed by the enraged demon.

Dangrim escaped to the surface world and fled from all society, until he reached the sea, where he came upon the Captain, stashing his latest haul of plunder.   [CNT- need to collaborate from here].

Special traits (Anything from Green thumb to wrench jockey. Anything that describes your characters talents):  Dangrim, from his experience as an Engineer in Clan Skyre, is rather adept at dealing with 'mechanical things', though he has a tendency to try and improve them, which may or may not be a good thing. 

Most of his gear Dangrim was forced to leave behind when he fled the Underempire, but he kept his warpblade, warplock pistol, and his mask which lets him see the ebb and flow of magical energies.

So yeah, coolies.

One thing about the original post- the Empire is modeled off the Holy Roman Empire, in terms of looks, military, and politics, not the Romans.

This post has been edited by Manual on Apr 11 2012, 06:08 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Codenametrigger
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

In this case, Manual, you are more than trustworthy to come up with some sort of plot to show how he came aboard. You got good narrative instincts, if i remember correctly. So go for it :>.

As for Dangrim, he seems like a sturdy character. I might like him as the Boatswain, the petty officer in charge of the condition of the ship. I am thinking that maybe when he got on the ship and The Captain somehow managed to figure out his curse and got him to promise to take care of the ship.

Otherwise, it's a great profile and i'm gonna love giving him orders.
Manual
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 04:13 AM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

I guess if Dangrim is to be Bosun, I should know what kind of ship we are sailing! Xebec? Lateen rigged? Square Rigged? Brigatine?
PMEmail PosterAOL
Codenametrigger
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Well, i was hoping to get a few more people before i put a bunch of thought into the ship, but here it goes.

The Vagrant
Frigate (According to 17th century)
3 Masts
Full Rigged (All are Square masted)
2 Gun decks
28 guns, 7 on each side, each deck
4-36 lb guns
18-24 lb guns
6-12 lb guns

The Vagrant is somewhat of an enigma to those who see it. It looks as though it had been cobbled together from Driftwood. Each plank is a different color than it's neighbor, but the same mottled grey seems to display from a distance. Its rails are worn and weathered, the deck bleached from many days in the sun, the sails thin with wear. But it's image has been seen for decades without ever changing. Captains are in constant supply for adventure, but they never seem to last.

The Vagrant's sails are known across the sea, but for different reasons. Some port level their canons on sight, others welcome the sight with crowds and cheers. But one thing is constant. No one knows if the old crew is still on board. The ship keeps sailing, however, though no one knows how. It's the curse of the Vagrant, once you board, you have no home.

Hope this helps!
Codenametrigger
Posted: May 14 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

So unless anyone else is interested in this game, i'm going to go ahead and declare it closed.
Manual
Posted: May 14 2012, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Bummer.

Though, as a critique, I think a 17th century Frigate is too much for a Warhammer Fantasy setting (which matches more closely with 14th century settings).
PMEmail PosterAOL
Codenametrigger
Posted: May 16 2012, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

True, but the Warhammer game "Dreadfleet" which is what this game was based off of, was set in the age of sail, which is where i picked this up from.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic