l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (2) All [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Tribes: Ascend, Shazbot! Get our flag back!
Crioca
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 24232

it's free! yo!

It's in open beta now and I've finally had a chance to play it over the weekend. The verdict from most of the old Tribes community seems to be; "It's a good game, but it's not really Tribes" but I'm pretty sure they said that about Tribes 2 and Tribes: Vengeance as well, so eh.

I'm less bothered by the XP system than I thought I'd be. It is somewhat frustrating to be stuck on just a couple of suit / weapon builds and the fact that you need to invest substantial time to get a class up to speed makes me feel really restricted, but it looks like $50 give you enough points to unlock most of the stuff and that's still about half of what I'm used to paying for games over here. If they keep bringing out quality content I'll probably plop down another $50, but I'd rather they'd have gone with a LoL style roster rotation than the Battlefield style classes.

user posted image
The other issue I've got here is that at one point I was placed into a match with players that had wayyyyyy more upgrades than I did, and as a result was that I was much less effective in the melee despite outclassing the majority of players in that particular match. That was very frustrating but after dropping out of the match and rejoining the queue I was placed in a game with players that had a similar level of upgrades to me, so probably there's some kind of matching system in place.

The gameplay appears solid, the map pool is currently very small, around a half dozen maps that I'm find very slow, especially compared to T:V (the lack of energy pack and grapple gun contributes a lot to this), but I get the feeling that's because the faster maps tend to be a lot less llama friendly noob friendly, which I think is a lesson learned from T:V where the fast maps put a lot of newer players off the game early on. The maps so far are very much in the style of T2, which I think is a bit of a shame because we've come a long way since T2, and T:V had some great maps which were much smaller and tended towards ferocious close quarters matches and frantic quarry chases.
Hi-Rez has obviously learnt some lessons from previous games, most notably for me the lack of a chain-gun type weapon for any of the light classes, which I applaud heartily.
However the lack of any kind of APC is disappointing. There was nothing more satisfying than rocking up to the enemy base in a vehicle and having half a dozen heavies jump out and start laying down the smack.

Right now, it still doesn't quite feel like Tribes, but I'm thinking that it will ripen into Tribes, like cherries tasted too early in the season then left for the sun to banish any remaining traces of sourness.

This post has been edited by Crioca on Mar 18 2012, 10:21 PM
PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

I saw the dreamers dreaming, I heard the people singing...

Member No.: 72897

So... question is... Blood Eagle or Diamond Sword?
(PostEdit; by which I mean, I picked up Tribes Ascend myself, a couple weeks back. It's fun, and cackling evilly while racing off with the enemy flag is always extremely fun.)
I myself, prefer the look of the Blood Eagles, for one.

This post has been edited by Arwael on Mar 18 2012, 10:20 PM
PMIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
Crioca
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

QUOTE (Arwael @ Mar 18 2012, 10:18 PM)

Which one gives me the chance to bean an unsuspecting sniper with a claymore?

Diamond Sword 'erry day!

Oh and I'm playing on the Oceanic / Australian group, under the name Crioca.
PMEmail Poster
Tech Knight
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 56221

QUOTE (Arwael @ Mar 18 2012, 10:18 PM)
(PostEdit; by which I mean, I picked up Tribes Ascend myself, a couple weeks back. It's fun, and cackling evilly while racing off with the enemy flag is always extremely fun.)
I myself, prefer the look of the Blood Eagles, for one.

DIAMOND SWORD! mad.gif

How dare you even CONCEIVE such a question in your mind :rage:

Aside from that minor issue tongue.gif ... Are there Cybrids?

Seriously, I so dearly Miss Earthsige/Starsiege. Best Mech game of my childhood.

Friggen giant manual that was a novel unto itself... wub.gif

God dammit I love it so much... wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif weightedcompanioncube.gif
PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Crioca @ Mar 18 2012, 11:23 PM)
Diamond Sword 'erry day!

QUOTE (Tech Knight @ Mar 18 2012, 11:59 PM)
DIAMOND SWORD! mad.gif

How dare you even CONCEIVE such a question in your mind :rage:

SANDRAKERS THE LOT OF YOU!
Anyways, I'm Arwael on Tribes. I'm mostly on the North American server though.

As for the tribes themselves, while it's currently Dirty Sandrakers and Blood Eagles, I heard they'll be adding in some of the other eventually.
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 01:27 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Member No.: 3729

What, screw you guys. Blood Eagles all the way.

Though like functionally speaking, none of that matters!

Been unlocking classes to see what the rest of the game is about, but I find myself just not enjoying the game that much. Partially cause I'm in Asia and that means 200-300 ping on every server. For a game that requires timing your shots with little error to hit anything - well.

If only the Sentinel's scope went deeper. Trying to snipe clusters of pixels is not fun. Also the rifle is so piss weak. I end up just getting assists and lucky pathfinder kills. Or outsniping other Sentinels since they don't move that much. Then get backstabbed by Infiltrators or hounded by everything else.

I dislike credits for vehicles. I feel there should just be vehicles and people should jump into them and big shit happening around them. Vehicles just kinda pop out randomly here and there, don't make much impact and you can't get them that often.

Also, I want smaller maps. Maps too fat.

I mostly stick to a Juggernaut or Brute, snipe turrets and radar with Spinfusor(can't aim mortar for shit). Then keep myself indoors and mortar/shotgun/disconade people to death as long as I can. I have the most fun being a dick as a Juggie inside generator rooms. With my ping, all outdoor duels end in me dying horribly.

Fractal nades are fun to suicidally toss into the base in Crossfire, just to fuck with all the HoF Doombringers and Techies.

I miss Vengeance deployables. I loved deploying the death network in enemy bases - the repair box thing surrounded by turrets. Also the APC. I loved leaving it behind the enemy base in CTF matches since you could spawn at the goddamn thing. The other team could never figure how we got past their defenses(all pointed the wrong way).

Maybe its just the goddamn ping, but something is just missing. Vengeance was boatloads of fun(but then my fun there was abusing vehicles and deployables which aren't quite the same now), but I'm not quite feeling it here.
PMEmail Poster
Crioca
Posted: Mar 19 2012, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

You know there's an Asia server group right?
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Now there is. There sure as hell wasn't when I started a while back. Was stuck with US East/West, Europe and Oceania.

Also Asian servers are pretty deserted. Found like 5 dudes grinding for medal-XP.

This post has been edited by DaRk_KnIgHt on Mar 20 2012, 11:11 PM
PMEmail Poster
Crioca
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

QUOTE (DaRk_KnIgHt @ Mar 20 2012, 11:51 AM)
Now there is. There sure as hell wasn't when I started a while back. Was stuck with US East/West, Europe and Oceania.

Also Asian servers are pretty deserted. Found like 5 dudes grinding for medal-XP.

If you wanna do a little duelling, I'm down. Ping on the asian severs shouldn't be too bad for me.
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Wouldn't mind having someone to practice Spinfusor duels out in the open with. I don't play regularly though. Sometimes I play regularly for a week, then stop for a month and whatever floats my boat essentially.

My IGN is DonGardenio if you wanna add me. Can look out for each other.

I'll probably continue playing on the US East/West servers though if the Asian servers continue to have such crappy showing. You kinda need at least 10 people to get a decent anything going. 2v2 CTF is just sad.

That said, I mostly play CTF. My favourite class - the Juggernaut isn't really good at TDMs. And I'm not too keen on the open slugging matches of the Soldiers.

Having quite some fun with the technician though, although persistent Juggernauts and Infiltrators can completely ruin my shit. Some creative turret placement can rack up a nice amount of capper kills. Though its nice to have a HoF to draw attention away from me.

This post has been edited by DaRk_KnIgHt on Mar 21 2012, 04:47 AM
PMEmail Poster
Tech Knight
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 56221

...dammit. what specs do I need for this game? dont think my laptop can handle it.
PMEmail Poster
BM-ZERO
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 20142

I tried to play this last weekend but it would crash anytime I loaded up a map that had either other players or bots. I guess this means it still a very early beta release, might check it out again next month.
PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Oh lord. I unlocked the Raider class.

So.
Much.
Fun.

So many explosions.

Goes fast, packs a helluva punch with the ARX Buster, especially indoors during Capture the Flag. Not so great yet outside, but base defense or going after the enemy generator and I'm golden.

This post has been edited by Arwael on Mar 27 2012, 09:47 PM
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 10:46 PM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

I can't aim the ARX Buster to save my life. I prefer Juggernaut Mortars indoors overall for around corner and overall power+splash. Can't seem to get a hang of the Raider but I've ran into many a Raider that have given me grief so its probably just me sucking.

The SMG is handy to have as a backup I guess.

Stealth Pack Raiders are probably the worst bastards to run into as a Technician. They don't drop like Infiltrators and put up quite a fight. Brutes and Juggernauts are next on my Technician hate list just for how fucking fat they are. Probably won't be such an issue if I unlocked the Thumper but... am far away from that. Though Stealthfusor Infiltrators are the worst in one of the new maps where the Generator is in a large ass room. Can't even spray my SMG around to reveal them, too much space to cover.

PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Well, I've always been kind of handy with the Thumper DX on the Soldier Class, so the ARX is a bit of an upgrade. Range, +3 Round Burst = Fun.

I haven't really unlocked anything but the class and a few base upgrades, so no Stealth yet for me. Long grind there, too.

As for your Technician Woes, I can sympathize. My grief from the Juggernauts comes from their frustrating tendency to mortar the turret I've just set up as I go to get the ammo to set up the next one.
Or finding three Juggernauts/Brutes gang-banging the Generator Room. That's always fun. No Thumper here either, so it's a wee bit painful.

Infiltrators are a pain in the ass of the worst kind when played by somebody competent, though. For closed maps, it's the ones who make you think nobody is there, just long enough for the Generator to get repaired and then bam. Sticky Grenades.
Sticky Nades everywhere.
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

When an Infiltrator is too damn good, I lose my temper and Juggernaut up the Generator room. I usually win in those cases, Infiltrators generally don't pack enough punch to take a fatty Juggernaut that is on his toes. I usually try to bait them though - start repairing the generator and then spin around and chuck my Tech nades about. Really hit and miss strategy, sometimes they aren't even there, sometimes I just get sticked before I can react. Those bastards can carry like what? 5 stickies? Its a great big ngaah and dying to them just means replenishing their nade supply.

Fresh Brutes are really horrible because of Fractals. Still like, Techs without Thumpers just lack oomph to deal with Heavies. Unless you luck it out and manage to smack them with both nades. Its alright if some friendly combat classes help you clear house, but sometimes its just you or you and another tech, and its like major griefing.

I'm not too fussed about getting my turrets mortar-ed, base attacking Juggies are usually painting big target signs on themselves and newly spawned Pathfinders/Soldiers will chase them down for some easy credits. I usually drop a closeby but yet covered Supply station as soon as I can so I can keep on replacing the turrets. Its usually Sentinels that give me the most grief as far as turret destruction woes are concerned. Just sniping away-- nobody's doing a thing about it!

My most successful Technician map has to be Crossfire, the one with the two floaty bases. Though when Juggernauts and entrenched in that generator room, it can be pretty hard to flush them. Rather than placing my turrets in and around the floating base, I place them on the ground instead, just beneath the first ridge where the frontal base turret is sorta above.

Its completely out of sight and any cappers jumping from there get their asses ripped to shreds. It usually takes a very long time for anybody to wise up to those turrets.

PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

I oddly enough have a hard time on Crossfire as a Techie. I either have to protect the Flag or the Generator, and there usually aren't enough defenders to cover both.

I do fairly well on Katabatic, the Lava map, if I can get both turrets set up, and okay on Drydock, with the big hill inbetween the bases.
The newer Arctic map is downright hellish at times. since the Generator is open from three directions and Infiltrators get in there all the damn time, coupled with the drop on two sides.

This post has been edited by Arwael on Mar 28 2012, 11:34 AM
Crioca
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

The thumper is a bit of a noob tube, similar to the GL in T:V, the arc of the projectile makes it easier to predict where it'll land and the projectile is slightly faster than a disc; coupled with a faster reload time makes it a spam happy weapon for short to mid range. You see it being used a lot in the 1-6 bracket, but after that not so much as people are moving much faster and there's less opportunity to spam people running around on the ground.

I think the big problem right now is the Doombringer's chaingun and to a lesser extent automatic weapons as a whole. The doombringer needs a longer wind up time, a smaller magazine and a forced trigger release when hit by a concussive weapon. Playing a pathfinder I've gone up against way to many doomies that can just eat discs for long enough to burn me down with the chain gun.

I haven't run across an amazing sniper yet but then again I mostly chase.

Oh man, until the other day I'd totally forgotten I always played 3rd person. Made the switch and my aim improved about 25%

This post has been edited by Crioca on Mar 29 2012, 12:21 AM
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 04:44 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Pathfinders really shouldn't be able to take down a good HoF Doombringer. The Doombringer should rightfully gun your ass down. Same goes for Tech turrets covering the flag, those should really murder your face off unless you are going that fast. Doombringers are kind of like the hard counter to Pathfinders, take that away from them and its like - whats the point of this class anyway? If you can disc a Doombringer to death, they probably suck. Or are skating around out in the open for some damn reason.

Its pretty much let the Raiders, Juggies or whatnot occupy/murder the Doombringer's face off. I've seen(been on the receiving end) of many beautifully timed assaults, where those mortars and ARX nades would just rain in, the Doomie will either day or jump flee under the assault, and out of nowhere a goddamn Pathfinder would grab the flag going at 200+ before anybody can react. Or right when the generator goes down when the defense is heavily dependent on Force Fields Turrets and it happens. Zip, gone. Or a combination.

Pretty much turns into a Pathfinder slugging match, where the only viable defense is offense. Grab their flag when they get yours. Then chase the capper all around the map and pass the flag round like mad.

PMEmail Poster
Crioca
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

QUOTE (DaRk_KnIgHt @ Mar 29 2012, 04:44 AM)
Pathfinders really shouldn't be able to take down a good HoF Doombringer.

I don't see why not, it shouldn't be easy but it should be feasible. I've never played a tribes game where I felt one suit was effectively a hard counter to another. Heck even as a sent I can rip through a doomie with the nova blaster if I get the drop, and the Infiltrator can pull it off with a well placed sticky. But I think the only class that just doesn't have the DPS to take down a doomie is the pathfinder; with most classes the lack of DPS isn't a huge deal because of the great maneuverability, but the CG will pretty much destroy you the moment you turn around and fight.

Pathfinders are currently dominating, I think the thrust pack is really imbalanced, totally unnecessary and a bandaid fix for the lack of fast maps. I really think a command map for all classes would help with the pathfinder domination as well; there are enough blind spots while defending the flag that having your radar up often isn't helpful. But for the time being a couple of decent sentinels can lock down a pathfinder pretty handily.
PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Against Pathfinders, and whoever likes to capture the flag, I've always favored the Force Field + Light Turret Pair combo myself. Tends to lock down on enemy flag captures, since if they slam into the forcefield, they take a hit to their health, followed up by 65 damage per hit from each turret.

But as discussed, the problem with that tactic is making sure of two things. That the enemy approaches from the right direction, and setting up the field there... and keeping the enemy out of the generator.
VDG! Defend our generator, damn you! DEFEND IT!

Sentinels, I've noticed, can be either completely useless, or damn annoying, depending. I'm not that great as one, since I can only ever manage 500 damage per hit, and by the time I've charged for a second hit, the target's moved, moving fast for cover, or a Jugg.

For bullet weapons in general, I need to improve my aim. Specifically, I need to account for range and more importantly, lead time. In gun duels out in the open with things like the Assault Rifle or the SMG's, I tend to come out on bottom, and I can't really rely on the ARX or Thumper DX out in the open plains when moving fast, since people tend to zip right by the projectile.
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

I have no idea about the previous games, but Ascend pretty much has a rigid class system. Pathfinders are crazy mobile and are pretty much really specialized in the Cap/Chase role, while the Doombringer is pretty much designed to sit on the flag and murder Pathfinders as they go for it.

You probably have better chances with the Bolt Launcher, does pack a fair bit more punch if you got the aim to back it up with.

On that note as a Technician, I pretty much lack the firepower(until I unlock the Thumper anyway, and even this might not change things around enough) to do diddly snot against a good Juggernaut or Brute hanging out in the Generator room.

Some classes will pretty much come out on top against others in the combat situations they usually find themselves against one another.

PMEmail Poster
Crioca
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Rides an iron chariot

QUOTE (Arwael)
Against Pathfinders, and whoever likes to capture the flag, I've always favored the Force Field + Light Turret Pair combo myself.
That's a big part of successful flag defence, but as you mentioned it's very fallible with regards to the generator, but the other half is bodyblocking, which no one seems to do anymore =\ I'd like to see them award points for knocking away enemies travelling at high speed within a radius of your flag. Would probably net me an extra 100 XP per match tongue.gif

Sentinels... the phase rifle needs a damage buff, at the very least I'd like to see front / back damage detection so they could deal additional damage to targets who are running away (i.e flag grabbers). A lone sentinel is worthless and has virtually no chance of taking out a capping pathfinder that's not already injured.

QUOTE (Arwael)
For bullet weapons in general, I need to improve my aim. Specifically, I need to account for range and more importantly, lead time.
Assuming you've got a low ping (sub 100), the best way to do this is to watch vids of other people who are good with it, it'll help you get a feel for where you should be aiming. Do you play 1st or 3rd person?

QUOTE (DaRk_KnIgHt)
I have no idea about the previous games, but Ascend pretty much has a rigid class system.
Previous games have allowed you to pick an armour type (light, med, heavy) and then pick your loadout of weapons, I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't just a handful of classes If that was the case then the idea rock-paper-scissor classes wouldn't be so bad. I'm still hoping that Hi-Rez will go the loads and loads and loads of classes route with a rotating roster of free ones. But the CG needs a nerf; last night I saw a doomie go through two lights and a medium in under ten seconds in one magazine, the DPS is insane. 'Chainwhoring' has been an insult since Starsiege: Tribes and now it's like they've built an entire class around the concept.
I've always thought the solution would to be decrease the accuracy of auto weapons while flying and I still think that's the right idea, but the DPS and magazine size\ of the CG combined with the doomie's health is in another league all together.

On that note as a Technician, I pretty much lack the firepower(until I unlock the Thumper anyway, and even this might not change things around enough) to do diddly snot against a good Juggernaut or Brute hanging out in the Generator room.
Heavies has always dominated indoors, no arguing with that. T:A is really bad when it comes to base defence as spending time guarding the generator costs you potential credits / XP and you're likely to spend your time idling until you get popped by a fusion mortar or a fractal grenade without seeing your target. Also no shields on the generator =\

edit:
TB says and I agree; The micro-transactions are too damn high!

This post has been edited by Crioca on Mar 29 2012, 09:49 PM
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Maybe its just my ping(I play mostly at 200ish) and my shitty aim, but I've always found it to hit anything with sustained CG fire. Maybe I'm just not doing right, and have to predict their movement paths and throw bullets as they are moving uncontrollably straight at me. I'm kinda fine with projectile weapons - they are very situational in their usefulness and can be real awesome in the right fights, while being pretty damn useless otherwise. They already added damage dropoff and I feel the projectile speed makes aiming pretty hard already.

I'd play on Asian servers, but there's too few people to get a good game going. And I have an irrational hatred of Asian players, despite being one myself.

Was inheritance always part of Tribes? I feel that shit throws off my Spinfusor shots so goddamn much. Doesn't make for good mid flight shooting, like since I'm flying up while trying to shoot a turret with my Spinfusor, my shots end up angling up instead. Annoys the absolute shit out of me.

I find that generator defense isn't a worthwhile thing to do. I kinda just guard the flag, and if I see someone sneak in, then I'll go after them. But I'm not gonna sit inside - its practically suicide anyway. Infiltrators will carve you up like a turkey, Juggernauts will be exploding every square inch of the place as they move in. Its kinda a role I take in response rather than one I just decide to do and sit around.

I guess motion sensors help keep tabs on the generator, but I think I'd prefer them tech nades. Cause the tech seriously can't do shit with just his SMG.

There are some games though where the opposite team is just mad insistent on raping our generator - even though our radar and turrets are already down and we got like one Tech(me). While nobody on their team is capping and they lose anyway. In those matches I kinda like taking a Juggernaut down to the Generator room just to have some explosive slug fests.

Conversely the opposite happens, half of the opposite team is so damn insistent on keeping their generator running despite the other half not using deployables and the base turrets/radar are smoking ruins anyway. I kinda like harassing them as a Juggie and keeping them occupied, while the rest of their team complains about how they are getting capped like mad.

As for the micro transactions- well they need to earn money somehow. All these 'free' games have to generate profit in some way.

I'm kinda fine with the system of what is already available or what isn't. Classes aren't too hard to unlock and come with usable gear that defines the class.

PMEmail Poster
Arwael
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 03:29 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Crioca @ Mar 29 2012, 10:38 PM)
Assuming you've got a low ping (sub 100), the best way to do this is to watch vids of other people who are good with it, it'll help you get a feel for where you should be aiming. Do you play 1st or 3rd person?

I play first person here, mostly because that's fairly familiar, and how I started with T:A to begin with. My ping usually hovers around 60-70 at most, except this one time where I crashed for a moment, the screen went black and I was suddenly going negative 2,700,000 in speed.

The vids may help, since like you said, it'd show me where I might need to be aiming and all. I spent a short bit of time doing basic target practice on bots, so I know that I can lead some, but leading a target while the both of us are going the opposite direction at full tilt is a whole different kettle of fish than shooting a bot.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) All [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topic