l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A Twofer This Time, John Carter and Act of Valor
FEpower
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:35 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1922

Disney does John Carter

The CGI and scenery look good, I'm curious how they handle the story.

Act of Valor

This one I am definitely interested in seeing. Reading the comments for the trailer made me realize way too many people base their image of the military upon the game Call of Duty.

One a side note, even though I realize the Viso advertising at YouTube is how they make money, it slightly irritates me that some of the advertising before the trailer is other movie trailers. If I wanted to see the trailer for Brokeback Mountain 2 - Lube Run, I'd go look for it.
PMEmail Poster
Kegluneq
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

'X' never, ever marks the spot
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 6290

QUOTE (FEpower @ Feb 21 2012, 08:35 AM)
Disney does John Carter

I'm not so sure about the CGI to be honest. Great for the flying machines, not so much for the Martians. The plot of the original books was pretty basic - Space Conan! - and I imagine his background will have been rewritten just a bit. It could be a fun sleeper hit, but I'm not overly optimistic.
Act of Valor

This one I am definitely interested in seeing. Reading the comments for the trailer made me realize way too many people base their image of the military upon the game Call of Duty.

Fun fact: People in the military really enjoy Call of Duty too, and it really shows in this trailer. I really hope you didn't think this trailer - with explosion proof doors, jumping from fireballs, shooting unarmoured vehicles with LAWs, visible lasers, glamorous cinematography, rescuing helpless hot babes etc - was an accurate representation of military life. SEALs (on 'active duty'?) have a vested interest in making themselves look as awesome as possible after all. It was almost worth it for the Harrier shot though. :sadface:
PMEmail PosterMSN
ssjjedi
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

1.21 jigawatts!?!

Member No.: 6769

QUOTE (FEpower @ Feb 21 2012, 03:35 AM)
Disney does John Carter

You can tell from the trailer that this will be a loose adaptation. Hint, there were no Therns in the first book.

Frankly, the reuse of music from the Godzilla soundtrack in this trailer gives me less hope that they will do it right
PMEmail Poster
daesim
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Too macho for the rapture. OHHHHHH YEAH!!!

Member No.: 48830

I've heard of the books but never read them. Does John Carter possess some level of superhuman strength while on Mars?
PMEmail Poster
Tomar
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Member No.: 205

I am getting flashbacks to El Hazard which maybe taken cues from those stories?
PMEmail Poster
Kegluneq
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (daesim @ Feb 21 2012, 08:14 PM)
Does John Carter possess some level of superhuman strength while on Mars?

Earthman on Mars... Gravity works in his favour there.
PMEmail PosterMSN
ssjjedi
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

1.21 jigawatts!?!

Member No.: 6769

QUOTE (daesim @ Feb 21 2012, 03:14 PM)
I've heard of the books but never read them.

Why not? The copyright on them has expired.
PMEmail Poster
DJ_Izumi
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Not As Big A Furfag As Pero^2

Member No.: 1468

I don't get it, why is Noah Wyle on Mars!???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_(ER)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
GouryG
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 47794

QUOTE (FEpower @ Feb 21 2012, 03:35 AM)
Disney does John Carter

It does look good, I also have heard of the stories but have never read them. I also love how they used Kashmir as the BGM for the trailer.
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 01:36 AM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

Act of Valor is amazing.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kegluneq
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 02:07 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ray Kremer @ Feb 29 2012, 07:36 AM)
Act of Valor is amazing.

Why do I get the feeling Ray also takes it at face value? Something Awful reviewed it here, revealing no surprises. It's basically a two-hour version of Yvan Eht Nioj with a silly plot and a marketing deal with Battlefield 3 (no Call of Duty movie this, clearly).
It's choices like this that make Act of Valor incredibly difficult to rate, because you have to understand that this is a unique cinematic experience. It's possible for a film to be both a propaganda piece and a work of art. Triumph of the Will and Birth of a Nation are considered some of the greatest films of all time, and those were made by literal Nazis and Klansmen. Now, I'm not going to say that Nazis are better at making propaganda films than we are, because I'm already going to be accused of hating America and ARE TROPS just by writing this. Whether this is a good film or not is irrelevant. I'm just saying, maybe in 2012, we shouldn't be making films I have to compare to Nazi Germany.

This post has been edited by Kegluneq on Feb 29 2012, 02:09 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Tomar
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Member No.: 205

Ebert and others has the same sentiment where its an interesting way to build a film but the story behind it is a giant "meh".
PMEmail Poster
errantrogue
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Captain?

Member No.: 37041

Yeah, Act of Valor was just one giant recruitment video filled with terrible acting (from REAL soldiers~) and the latest toys... for serious, I think they wrote the plot based on "how many different things that we have can we show?"

More to come in the podcast (whenever THIS week's gets posted... still waiting on LAST week's to get compressed).
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

I don't think they were going for story there. They wanted an action film based around the sort of thing that navy seals actually do. So, plan some action sequences, string together a 24-esque from-one-emergency-to-the-next excuse plot, and Bob's your uncle. I doubt real life situations are very dramatic anyway.

The background I heard is that the filmmakers were doing training films or something with the seals and thought it would be cool to do an outright fictional movie in the same vein.

I didn't think the acting was bad at all, though perhaps I'm just not suited to be a proper acting critic.

BTW, what defines propaganda exactly? Is any movie with the military in which they are not the bad guys automatically propaganda? I know some people see it that way, though I hope not everybody does. I've heard that the Transformers films, what with the military cooperation and accurate use of terminology and such did turn out to boost recruitment a little. But that sort of thing seems more like a side effect than intentional propaganda.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kegluneq
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ray Kremer @ Feb 29 2012, 08:18 PM)
BTW, what defines propaganda exactly? Is any movie with the military in which they are not the bad guys automatically propaganda? I know some people see it that way, though I hope not everybody does.

Of course not - plenty of good films have soldiers as heroes without being labelled propaganda. Most tend to provide a slightly more balanced view of military life though.

However, it's not exactly difficult to see how this film could get that label. It started life as a recruitment video, it stars real soldiers, it received special treatment from the DOD, it glorifies military exploits. It does sound a lot like that Nazi propaganda film in Inglourious Basterds. Back before propaganda was a dirty word it would have been fine to refer to it in that way. (This is a good (honest) HuffPo piece on the relationship between the Pentagon and Hollywood.)

One thing that worries me is the contrast between people claiming the film is awesome and so realistic, versus the critics who say the individual characters have no distinct personality. Ultimately I'd say the film was doing a disservice to its members if it didn't dwell on negatives alongside the positive.
PMEmail PosterMSN
shoeboxjeddy
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Still accepting applications~

Member No.: 45553

QUOTE (Ray Kremer @ Feb 29 2012, 03:18 PM)
BTW, what defines propaganda exactly? Is any movie with the military in which they are not the bad guys automatically propaganda? I know some people see it that way, though I hope not everybody does. I've heard that the Transformers films, what with the military cooperation and accurate use of terminology and such did turn out to boost recruitment a little. But that sort of thing seems more like a side effect than intentional propaganda.

Consider the fact that the good guys are made to be as accurate as possible (to a heroic ideal of what a SEAL is), but the villains are invented out of whole cloth (to be as evil as possible).

In this movie: Are there any "bad guys" with second thoughts or compelling reasons to have the thought processes they do? Are there any soldiers who are terrible people who nonetheless do their job professionally? What about "good people" soldiers who commit atrocities through carelessness or out of fear or bad information? Are people unnecessarily put in harm's way because it will improve some officer's career if he provokes a situation? Basically, this is called propaganda because war is often (always?) ugly, unfair, and complicated but the movie (likely, I haven't seen it) portrays it as heroic, necessary, and ultimately beneficial without any deep thought going into it.
PM
Squidworth
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Read my lips...

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 57659

Honestly, Act of Valor bothers me.

It bothers me that there's a total disregard for OPSEC during the movie on the level of Geraldo drawing the path of the invading forces in the dirt on LIVE TV during the original Desert Storm.

It bothers me that the DOD had something to do with this and STILL allowed them to reveal tactics and weaponry that could be used by the enemy to exploit our weaknesses...

It bothers me that fellow military members sold out and none of the aforementioned two questions actually occurred to them at all. Hollywood probably just walked in with a giant bag of money and dropped trou', pointed, and said, "start suckin'" and they set right to work...

This is a blatant propaganda piece. There's no redeeming value in it, except to make high school graduates spooge in their collective pants and run pell-mell to join the Navy so they can become Navy SEALs swab decks.

The fact that FEpower and Ray loved this farce of a movie is the cherry on top of the ugliest sundae in the world.

John Carter looks like it was cut from the same cloth as the Transformers movies, only this time you won't see Megan Fox or HOT FORGETTABLE BRITISH CHICK or hear Shia LeBouf scream BEEEEEEEEEEE all movie long.

In short, both these movies look like pure garbage.

This post has been edited by Squidworth on Feb 29 2012, 06:56 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
-sam
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Trapped by paradoxes

Member No.: 3659

Wasn't act of valor originally supposed to be a DoD recruiting film or something?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
errantrogue
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

Captain?

Member No.: 37041

I just can't get over how amazing the film is... rolleyes.gif

I didn't think the acting was bad at all, though perhaps I'm just not suited to be a proper acting critic.

plus, this comes off VERY passive aggressive, considering.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll