l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (16) All « First ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bodacious Space Pirate Harlock-chan, Moretsu Pirates (w/ Miniskirts) etc
Moridin84
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 14034

QUOTE (RW)
Jenny appreciates your efforts on her behalf, but is perfectly capable of rescuing herself in a pinch, thank you very much.  That's my girl. Don't let a minor thing like a half-dozen armed men bursting in on you while you're in your wedding dress prevent you from shooting your way to a brand new top of the line FTL-equipped shuttle and escaping.

I liked how that part was shown in Fast Forward >> mode.

Rather then Jenny, watching this episode made me think how awesome Marika is.
Lets do it because it seems interesting
Playing by the rules isn't very pirate-like
PMEmail PosterMSN
uncreative
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Endlessly looping, never updating.

Member No.: 54034

QUOTE (Moridin84 @ Apr 28 2012, 11:29 AM)
I liked how that part was shown in Fast Forward >> mode.

"Oh, yeah, I guess I shot my way out of the ship and stole the military scout ship I had tucked away in the hanger, but it's not a big deal really."
PM
WorkPanda
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

Worst panda EVAR

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 587

There's a whole lot of implied yuri and comedy yuri in anime these days, but relatively too few on-screen straightforward romantic kisses between female lovers. So hooray.
PM
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

Member No.: 51878

QUOTE (Moridin84 @ Apr 28 2012, 03:29 PM)
Rather then Jenny, watching this episode made me think how awesome Marika is.

There was a good amount of awesome to go around, this week, so neither of them was getting stinted. Marika's part in those negotiations as to whether it was better to help Jenny or hand her back over to her uncle was also pretty nice.

Lets do it because it seems interesting
Playing by the rules isn't very pirate-like

While that sounds great and all, I was hoping she'd have a better reason than that. Fortunately, Jenny escaped on her own and fled to them of her own will, something they can provide evidence of, so no laws were actually broken by our heroes.

"Oh, yeah, I guess I shot my way out of the ship and stole the military scout ship I had tucked away in the hanger, but it's not a big deal really."

I suppose in the face of finally being together with her girlfriend again after who knows how long, she preferred to gloss over the past and get back to focusing on the present as quickly as possible.

This post has been edited by Random Wanderer on Apr 28 2012, 01:48 PM
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

the best thing about the yuri moment this week is that it isn't really about the yuri moment. thought experiment with it and if you replaced lynn with a man and made it hetero nothing would have changed. i thought that was the most progressive thing in anime ever about yuri anything. it was always about how it was a romantic relationship thing that made it lulzy and personal and scandalous. it was bodacious because it was bold and audacious, not because it's girl and girl.

the other thing was, obv, oujo-sama joshikousei yuri reunion, which is, by the show's term, an anachronism. smile.gif

as for the "awesome" i thought jenny was awesome for having amassed so much influence and wealth so early in her career. also, space university is like academic city isn't it. orz. marika is awesome i guess but no more so than her previous stints. when the "awesome space nerd doing work" music came on I was like, yep, cross your legs young lady

also, that insurance company dude makes me want to watch cowboy bebop for some reason.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOL
dm
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Bothering no one, touching nothing, fixing the Primus.

Member No.: 263

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 28 2012, 02:38 PM)
Notice to the corporate fleet: you said Jenny's been kidnapped and you want her safely returned. People's belief in that is going to take a hit when they see how much firepower you're throwing at the ship she's aboard.

That assumes there are witnesses. Space is big and witnesses are few.

Almost all the big action scenes in this series seem to take place off stage.
PMEmail Poster
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (dm @ Apr 28 2012, 06:40 PM)
That assumes there are witnesses. Space is big and witnesses are few.

On the other hand, Bentenmaru clearly has external cameras, and they are right this moment jumping into more populated transit lanes. A short communication with some news organizations, an explanation of the heiress' uncle suddenly trying to kill her, forcing her to flee to the pirates for safety, a little footage of the attack, and Robert Dolittle could suddenly find himself facing bigger problems than a single pirate ship with a relative he wants to kill aboard.
PMEmail Poster
Old_Gray_One
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 48088

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 28 2012, 02:09 PM)
also, that insurance company dude makes me want to watch cowboy bebop for some reason.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one.

That was some tough negotiations with Jenny, weren't they? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
Moridin84
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 29 2012, 01:56 AM)
On the other hand, Bentenmaru clearly has external cameras, and they are right this moment jumping into more populated transit lanes. A short communication with some news organizations, an explanation of the heiress' uncle suddenly trying to kill her, forcing her to flee to the pirates for safety, a little footage of the attack, and Robert Dolittle could suddenly find himself facing bigger problems than a single pirate ship with a relative he wants to kill aboard.

If they blow up the Bentenmaru then there will be no problems right?
PMEmail PosterMSN
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Member No.: 3729

Marika is developing well as a character.

Anyway I found stuff happening like that to be pretty lolwhut. Cause usually the show just dilly dallies around so damn much, then stuff happens and it happens! Hey, we gotta formulate a kidnap plan - I expected them to spend a whole damn episode orchestrating it but instead shoop da whoop, the girl escapes getting into a goddamn gunfight.

I guess that's what it means to be bodacious.
PMEmail Poster
Rick Adams
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 787

This is Jenny's show; Marika just guest stars in it.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dm
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Needs more thigh-holster
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (dm @ Apr 29 2012, 08:03 PM)
Needs more thigh-holster

i was going to make a joke about how that one cut was more fanservice than all of the previous 16 episodes combined, and all the badassery jenny needed.
Moridin84
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Applies...
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
omoikane
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

there was almost some CQC in this episode!
Nem
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 39070

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 28 2012, 06:56 PM)

That sort of tech, it wouldn't be difficult to fake up whatever you wanted. We could probably do it today fairly easily.

Spoiler for Starship Operators:
something similar happening at the end of that....
PM
Random Wanderer
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

QUOTE (Nem @ Apr 30 2012, 05:31 PM)
That sort of tech, it wouldn't be difficult to fake up whatever you wanted. We could probably do it today fairly easily.

Sure, but the existence of ways to fake video footage hasn't stopped it from being a powerful tool for influencing public opinion. Many people tend to trust what they see, even when they should be more suspicious. That's why I suggested getting in touch with news organizations, rather than military or police. They can get the word that Robert Dolittle is trying to assassinate his niece out there with the right spin on it, back it up with some video footage, and make sure it spreads far and wide. That can have a powerful effect. And if the news gets out to people like, say, the company's board of directors, or to other members of Jenny's family, uncle could quickly find himself in some trouble.
PMEmail Poster
Nem
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Local

It's certainly degraded it as a tool for influencing public opinion. How many news agencies run the sort of videos you regularly find on live-leak? The tendency is to be ontologically conservative in reporting; to say the most interesting stuff that exposes you to the least liability.

Investigative reporting, on the other hand, is largely dead. Most of what the news reports is just repackaged press-releases from the powers that be.

I can only see that tendency becoming more pronounced as technology advances. What company is going to expose themselves to liability - if it turns out to be fake - and trade the favour of his company in return for.... Well, they can find a sensationalist story anywhere, it's not like this would grant them a comparative advantage even in the short term. And Dolittle has already reported this in his own terms.... Whoever strikes first, in a war of public opinion, destroys much of the credibility that the other party relies upon to launch their response.

And if it's really easy to fake - which it should be - he can always spam hundreds of fakes out to the news agencies and it would just get lost in the pile anyway.... There's no reason he should protect the use of the news to inform the general public.
PM
Moridin84
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

QUOTE (Random Wanderer @ Apr 30 2012, 10:50 PM)
Sure, but the existence of ways to fake video footage hasn't stopped it from being a powerful tool for influencing public opinion. Many people tend to trust what they see, even when they should be more suspicious. That's why I suggested getting in touch with news organizations, rather than military or police. They can get the word that Robert Dolittle is trying to assassinate his niece out there with the right spin on it, back it up with some video footage, and make sure it spreads far and wide. That can have a powerful effect. And if the news gets out to people like, say, the company's board of directors, or to other members of Jenny's family, uncle could quickly find himself in some trouble.

That sounds boring, they should just blow up the bad guys!
PMEmail PosterMSN
Telliamed
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Delusional Fool

Member No.: 343

QUOTE (omoikane @ Apr 28 2012, 04:09 PM)
the best thing about the yuri moment this week is that it isn't really about the yuri moment. thought experiment with it and if you replaced lynn with a man and made it hetero nothing would have changed.

What made that scene was having Lynn dressed as a prince. Will & Kate have nothing on these two.
Also, the reactions

the other thing was, obv, oujo-sama joshikousei yuri reunion,

She's got the laugh.

I don't know, though. This sounds like the kind of financial arrangement that Kraft Lawrence would make. I would have liked to see Marika at least make a token counter-proposal.

Next week, Jenny is back in the wedding dress... and Chiaka-chan does cosplay ohmy.gif
PMUsers Website
TheBigN
Posted: May 2 2012, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

It don't matter if you're black or white.

Member No.: 21951

QUOTE (DaRk_KnIgHt @ Apr 29 2012, 07:51 AM)
Hey, we gotta formulate a kidnap plan - I expected them to spend a whole damn episode orchestrating it but instead shoop da whoop, the girl escapes getting into a goddamn gunfight.

I guess that's what it means to be bodacious.

That was hilarious, and at least it gives us more time for fun times. I hope the escape to Space University doesn't take too long either.

Also, the reactions

Liked how Grunhilde seemed to be the only one unaffected by the moment. I think even Chiaki blushed and looked away, I think. And what omo said. Very swashbuckling though, at that. d("d)

This post has been edited by TheBigN on May 2 2012, 03:26 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Telliamed
Posted: May 3 2012, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Delusional Fool

Member No.: 343

QUOTE (TheBigN @ May 2 2012, 04:24 PM)
Liked how Grunhilde seemed to be the only one unaffected by the moment.

Tacit disapproval is her baseline attitude. She didn't have as far to go as the others.
PMUsers Website
Random Wanderer
Posted: May 5 2012, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

Episode 18.

Why was Jenny back in her wedding outfit? They acted like she never got out of it, but she was in club uniform when they started the jump that ended at the beginning of this episode. She just doesn't look as good with all that makeup on. It's not natural.

"Chiaki-sama's been under a lot of stress." laugh.gif

Man, that fiance guy was pathetic.

Robert Dolittle should be ashamed of himself, leaving not only a data trail but actual communication logs of him performing illegal activities? Clearly the idiot thought he was untouchable. I actually suggested last time that the kids could use a large-scale news broadcast to discredit him, but I figured they'd just use the current evidence of him obviously trying to kill Jenny, rather than digging up additional dirt.

Jenny considering finding a away to become a pirate. Heh. The kids are working up to make a respectable little pirate fleet, and the galaxy should be trembling in fear. If a single pirate ship with a single crew (plus contacts) can have this much impact, what's going to happen when there's three of them working together? Show said those girls would be scary in ten years. Those girls are scary now Show, in ten years they may be ruling the galaxy.

...So, wait, Marika handed over a top of the line prototype military scout-fighter to a high school yacht club? Man, she's going to be giving some poor government officials panic attacks.

This post has been edited by Random Wanderer on May 5 2012, 06:05 PM
PMEmail Poster
dm
Posted: May 5 2012, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Nice that a central part of their strategy was a pirate TV broadcast.

...And I also liked how they managed the audience's expectations by having Jenny broadcasting as an airhead blonde, shocked at what she finds happening aboard her fiance's yacht.
PMEmail Poster
Nem
Posted: May 7 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Local

I wonder what the limits on their FTL drive are.

#

Walking in on the start of the revolution like that was... a bit unfortunate.

#

Oh my god - who records their illegal conversations? Who even has illegal conversations on that level in their own voices?

#

Chiaki getting her gun off was amusing happy.gif

Her pirating outfit was rather nice too..... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Nem on May 7 2012, 09:01 AM
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (16) All « First ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll