l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Well...this Place Has Died, art
EzeKeiL
Posted: Dec 26 2011, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 64619

Uh...just some sketchs...kinda felt bad for the forum so I figured I'd post something.

user posted image

user posted image

Crit if you want...if anybody still posts here?? I guess it has been awhile...

- Zek
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Dec 27 2011, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 3729

I kinda felt I haven't been improving much as of late, and therefore didn't post any of my usual sketches of girls. I guess I should post my 3D assignment I did for my last semester some time...

Nothing much else to say but like, pretty nice sketches there.
PMEmail Poster
Raptor007
Posted: Dec 27 2011, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1412

I actually still float around here quite a bit
I just haven't felt like really posting anything though
more the same old same old for me

Your sketches are really nice
doing good with pencils i see
you did a great job with the profile head pose of the first girl
those are hard enough to pull off
anatomy looks really well done as well
only thing that bugs me is her hand, seems a little big, unless she has gloves on
then it all makes sense

Second piece is very nice overall
the eyes could stand to be a bit darker than what they currently are though
but besides that it looks really good!

Good to see you posting again Ezekeil
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
EzeKeiL
Posted: Dec 27 2011, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Local

hey wassup raptor. Well it seems like everyone did the same thing at the same time haha that = dead forum

I stopped back on a whim and saw like 4 topics...was depressing cause when I left the whole "Comic battle" thing was still going on with lots of participants...

Thanks for the Crit Raptor, yea...her hand is a bit big and yes she does have a glove on but its still a bit big. I think I'm gonna color that one cause I havent colored my own work in awhile and I really want too haha so Ill shrink it up a lil in photoshop.

Maybe this forum will come back!

I will try to post more frequently, maybe get things movin or somethin, who knows haha

- Zek
PMEmail Poster
Raenir Salazar
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 74224

I've started making some major progress with art and sketching, I'll post some stuff in a few days, just kinda busy.
PMEmail Poster
JBB
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 10972

I remember... a long time ago... years even... when this art forum was full of life. There was partying... Battling... People showcasing their works for fun. I wonder how many years it has been since I last replied. None of you would remember me, probably. I am an old man...

This post has been edited by JBB on Jan 19 2012, 12:33 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Sajomir
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

holy crap I have a custom title?

Member No.: 18669

I absolutely remember you, JBB! Your snowboard ninja had the best fight threads tongue.gif I really do miss the days when one could walk in with a piece and get lots of constructive comments, though...

Wish I had more to post myself these days, but a lot of what I'm doing is all prep work for sprite animations. Nothing worth posting... yet smile.gif

edit:
What I find amusing, though, is that threads like this inevitably bring all sorts of old faces out of the woodwork!

This post has been edited by Sajomir on Jan 19 2012, 04:56 PM
EzeKeiL
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Local

yea! old faces are always nice! Strange how that works eh?

I hope this board someday gets back to its old self, but only time will tell!
PMEmail Poster
Mr_E
Posted: Jan 21 2012, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 46036

I still think this place killed itself.

When I first started coming to the art section, it was still cool for Fanwork artists to drop into this section. It was also fine to have people that were just starting (in other words had some very simple drawings) to come in for comments and critiques. I forgot when that all changed and this place became "Mr serious board". So they move fanart to a different section, and started tossing people for not having art that was "up to snuff". I know I'm going to get flamed for it, but the people here did it to themselves by restricting flow and just generally having a poor disposition. I remember seeing people scolding new artists just because they wanted to know how they could improve. I know I left just because I didn't like the atmosphere. I loved to help out new people and get them on the path, while everyone else was just tired of seeing them. So instead of keeping their comments to themselves and letting people that liked to help do just that, they would relentlessly bash the new comers into not even wanting to draw. How are you suppose to get new content posted if everyone is afraid of being shot down? I know I will get flamed for this post, but until this board excepts its own doings it will probably continue to slump like this.

As for a critique of your work. If you don't have a wacom, I would love to see you try working with one. Your form is visually appealing and the details are very well thought out. The hair and face of the first image almost seem like you could reach out and touch them. It lacks some of the "finished" polish inking would give, but that isn't necessary to have a good piece. I admit I draw in a very sketchy manner myself, and even my inked works usually have a few flared lines as well (though I pretty much work solely on wacom these days).

I am having a difficult time though seeing what is attached to her back (first picture). She has a sword with a long string attached to what looks like a chalkboard eraser. Then that appears to be attached to a piece of leather that she is wearing with the straps around her shoulders.

Overall good work.

E
PMEmail Poster
ssycko
Posted: Jan 21 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

I don't care what you say Alice is DELICIOUS

Member No.: 26506

I remember seeing people scolding new artists just because they wanted to know how they could improve.

You have a very strange way of remembering the past.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
EzeKeiL
Posted: Jan 21 2012, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Local

QUOTE (Mr_E @ Jan 21 2012, 09:52 AM)
I am having a difficult time though seeing what is attached to her back (first picture).  She has a sword with a long string attached to what looks like a chalkboard eraser.  Then that appears to be attached to a piece of leather that she is wearing with the straps around her shoulders.

haha, chalkboard eraser, nice. yea it does look like that, but it would help if it was more clearly drawn and shaded. Think more like a fishing reel. All the rest was correct.

I'm glad you likes my art!

As for this board...eh...some people get overly critical at times. It happens, but your right, there weren't enough serious artists on this board to support a highly critical approach. because lets be honest, unless the artist has aspirations of getting better he doesn't really care if the hands he drew were to small tongue.gif but on the other hand (pun intended)...dont post if you think its going to be all sunshine and puppy dogs. Creative arts is a highly competitive field. They should've had lollygaggers and serious-ness split up in the first place haha. Oh well, Im not active enough on forums anymore to really care all that much. (as I just type a paragraph explaining my thoughts on something I "don't really care about" *sigh* D: )
PMEmail Poster
artisticjunke29
Posted: Jan 22 2012, 12:03 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 46224

I'd like to see more gesture drawings and simpler sketches from you. What I've learned in my time in improving my craft is that the better you get, the less pencil strokes you use to create something. I'm a scribbler when I sketch a lot of the times. And that's because I don't think about the line I put down.

Go slow, understand what purpose your line has in creating the figure, then put it down. Gesture drawings will really help with that.

Also. Having been a part of the old days, I will agree that people were pretty harsh. But it was thanks to those people that I was able to improve. It's also a matter of learning to take critique and getting a thick skin.

I remember seeing people scolding new artists just because they wanted to know how they could improve.

Those were the people that expected a shortcut. There were links posted everywhere, memos on HOW to improve. Instead of making the effort to practice and post that work for us to critique, a lot just asked and thought someone would give them the secret to drawing well.

This post has been edited by artisticjunke29 on Jan 22 2012, 12:06 AM
PMEmail Poster
ssycko
Posted: Jan 22 2012, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

I don't care what you say Alice is DELICIOUS

Member No.: 26506

QUOTE (artisticjunke29 @ Jan 22 2012, 01:03 AM)
Those were the people that expected a shortcut. There were links posted everywhere, memos on HOW to improve. Instead of making the effort to practice and post that work for us to critique, a lot just asked and thought someone would give them the secret to drawing well.

I was a bit short in my last post, but the only people who got the "scoldings" were those who deserved it, usually because of a terrible attitude or unwillingness to accept critiques. This forum was/is not a personal showcase, it was a place for informed criticism, and those who understood that grew significantly in their time here.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Jeffu
Posted: Jan 23 2012, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33958

I definitely benefited from the attitude that was encouraged here, and still more or less go about my work like that still. It was practical, and if you wanted to improve, you had to do what you had to do. A lot of people didn't come here for that.

This post has been edited by Jeffu on Jan 23 2012, 10:12 PM
PMEmail Poster
DaRk_KnIgHt
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

blaarghlebleeeergh--

Member No.: 3729

I think a more stick and carrot attitude could have helped ease people into the environment. Sometimes the critiques given were just pointing out everything done wrong without pointing out things that were done right. For those who are posting their work online for the first time, it can be a bit hard to swallow. It was kinda like all stick and no carrot.

Of course there are those who post just to get worthless praise, and those who reply with nothing but worthless praise, and those are people we can live without.

We have professionals on the board and its great that people have a professional attitude, but its not something that happens just like that.

PMEmail Poster
Meina
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

ಥ‿ಥ

Member No.: 21785

Well it's not very nice to be jealous and poop on each other's art. I mean, isn't it supposed to be looked at and enjoyed? We should say if we like it at all. I know we all know that we've spent hours on something with our nose to the paper, only to look at it a few days later and groan at everything wrong with it. And how many of us are in it for money or glory anyways?
PMEmail Poster
JBB
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 10972

The only reason why I even came here in the first place because I wanted to have fun. Draw a few pix here and there. Make a few people giggle then move on to the next piece and see what they will say next.

Of course, while I was doing my thing. Everyone was doing their own thread doing their own thing to have fun. Then everything went out of hand, Merekat and his fellow mod squad decided to set some ground rules and then everything got serious. It got so serious, I left.

I mean honestly, if people want to get better will get better with or without asking for critique. I mean when I was here, I wasn't known for my pretty art or how awesome I was at coloring. Let's face it, I was never good at either category. But I was the guy who entertained people with decent pictures and funny dialogue. That was it. That's all I did.

And ultimately, majority of people that draws doesn't necessarily want to be in the art business. They just want to draw and display it for people to look at. Sure, there's going to be criticisms but the ones who wants to be critiqued will say so. Heh, I remember someone critique'd my work and I ignored it. I ignored it so well, I left the forums. Hah!

Though, after years of hiatus and coming back now, seeing this place looking like a graveyard does hurt a bit.

This post has been edited by JBB on Jan 24 2012, 12:28 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Coharn
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 67333

Loooove that first drawing. Sooo pretty. Beautifully done hair. I got nothing else to add.

Inspired to make a quick 5 minute comic depicting my memories of MT Art forums

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
jimthegreat1012
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 28015

This place is really dead now, but I never had a problem with the people here. I always got great critiques, without any sort of sarcasm or meanness. The thing about this place is that the people here (or the people that used to be here, I guess) take art very seriously. The only people I saw get scolded were the ones who were obviously asking stupid questions without doing any research for themselves first.

Anyway, this forum helped shape the artist I am now. I learned a lot from the senior artists here. It makes me very sad to see this forum in the state it is now, but it seems all the old forums I used to haunt are on the decline. Maybe forums as a whole are just a dying breed on the internet today. =(

My "I've been a serious artist for ten years!" anniversary is coming up in a few months, and I plan on doing a great painting for it. This place will definitely be getting it first, even if nobody is around to look at it...

This post has been edited by jimthegreat1012 on Feb 13 2012, 01:30 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Raptor007
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 02:18 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1412

Geeezz...I still remember waaaayyyyyy back coming here when I was still in Highschool
one of my earlier pics i can find is from '03
I was so bad back then, lol
http://raptor007.deviantart.com/gallery/32...ffset=0#/d11tb8

and this was done a few days ago, lol
and yet i still suck at BG's
(warning NSFW)
http://raptor007.deviantart.com/#/d4pbd2e

and as far as anime style goes
http://raptor007.deviantart.com/art/Loveno...Trade-280569308

I know whatcha mean there Jim
I will be hitting my 10 year anniversary in April, lol
damn...10 years, just WOW...
kinda mind blowing really :3
Jarrod
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 42357

Tap a forest to regenerate MT art forum?

I like the artworks but they look like they are filling the frame all the way.
Like ohh it needs to be like this now cos there's less room to draw.

Also what are you aiming for with these are they comic frames or stand alone artworks because they look like comic frames.

PM
KazenoKibou
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 759

I wasn't really here when the this forum started to decline in numbers, but is it just this forum or is megatokyo forum in general?? I know I come in a weird time because of the time zone but there are only like 5~10 people looking through the forums...
In the good ole days, it seemed like there were a lot of people and had a good mix of beginners, medium, good and few very good (like Merekat and Dr. Cloud is who I remember)..

about the EzeKeiL's drawing, there is one thing about the first drawing. I feel like her left tit seems a bit off? Sorry I took your drawing and drew over what I thought where her breast might be to show where I think where the left tit should be (a little more down?)

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This post has been edited by KazenoKibou on Feb 18 2012, 11:17 AM
Naru
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 556

QUOTE (Coharn @ Jan 31 2012, 04:30 AM)
Loooove that first drawing. Sooo pretty. Beautifully done hair. I got nothing else to add.

Inspired to make a quick 5 minute comic depicting my memories of MT Art forums

user posted image

Yeah I kinda remember it turning like that all the sudden - I hung out here when I was pretty young and stupid (6-7th grade? I actually didnt read MT, I just hung out here because it was fun) and I just enjoyed drawing back then. There were alot of carrots going around back in the day because alot of people in here were starting out... The carrots inspired me to draw which gave me alot of inspiration to draw more and more though because of the carrots. I also saw alot really great artists too who gave me both sticks and carrots and I figured if I kept on drawing I could become like that maybe one day. lol.

I'm actually doing graphic design although I graduated from Cinema school so I'm still doing art but I wish I'm drawing more.

This post has been edited by Naru on Mar 25 2012, 05:21 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Mayenla
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63215

I definitely benefited from non sugar coated critiques provided here, I think it's crucial artists learn to get a bit of a thick skin when it comes to their art, because there's always room to improve.
I usually lurk about once a week, and It's good to see some discussion finally happening.
I've been meaning to post a dump of some of my work over the last few years but I guess time keeps getting the better of me.

Mayenla

This post has been edited by Mayenla on Mar 26 2012, 10:07 AM
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic