l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (10) All « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> What In The World Happened To This Place?
stageninja
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

I'm a pony now. Ponies are cool.

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 18430

QUOTE (DJ_Izumi @ Apr 17 2012, 12:32 AM)
Some things just stick out for members going through life. In particular, BK who went from being a university student, to bitching about her own students thinking she was too dumb to Google their essays to see if they just copied whole things from the web.

Or Lina and Gourry. The last time I saw them IRL, they were sans kids. Now they're surrounded! ohmy.gif
PM
Jun
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 19947

I just lost interest after awhile, really. I come back and look around sometimes, but rarely post.
PMEmail Poster
mnkyslut
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 32182

QUOTE (DJ_Izumi @ Jan 13 2012, 11:45 PM)
Sometimes it's amazing just how much we've all grown up in the last ten years.

Yeah. It's crazy.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Jarod Cain
Posted: May 17 2012, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Romulan Praetor

Member No.: 529

QUOTE (Final Furyk @ Apr 17 2012, 07:54 AM)
As someone who literally didn't look at this place for half a decade before poking my head back in here a few weeks ago, I've come to a couple of theories.

-cut-

Seeing as how I was bored, decided to click on my link here from my google homepage, looked around the place and reacted exactly as OP did. I felt compelled to post and have to agree with Furyk.

Fact of the matter is, things change. People find themselves elsewhere or find they have other priorities. Still, as crazy as it was I have fond memories of this place from eleven years ago.

Still, nostalgic to see some old names I haven't thought of in an age. Thought I'd say hi if anyone even remembers my dumb self.
-J-
PMEmail PosterICQAOLMSN
CountBuggula
Posted: May 30 2012, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 49927

I still follow the comic (RSS feeds!) but haven't been on the forums for years. A buddy of mine decided to re-read the whole thing from the beginning and just finished, so we were talking about it and I mentioned the fan-colorings that used to be done for each comic. He hadn't ever seen them so I figured I'd come here and show him all the cool stuff....and found a ghost town. I don't know how long it's been since the colorings stopped, but I wasn't about to go looking for them when it takes a whole minute for a page to load when I'm literally the only user on the entire forum. I'm sure the poor performance does wonders for chasing users away.
PMEmail Poster
Sapphire
Posted: May 30 2012, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

Member No.: 7542

QUOTE (CountBuggula @ May 30 2012, 06:35 PM)
I still follow the comic (RSS feeds!)

There's a comic?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kyoichi
Posted: May 31 2012, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 73044

I joined last year, and the place was semi-active. But when there was that seemingly endless period where no new comics were coming out and there was pretty much zero activity, I poofed.

Also, I went to bootcamp. Coming up on my 1 year mark in the Marine Corps in july. Whoot!

I wasn't even a teenager when this site first started O_o
PMEmail PosterMSN
Nestor
Posted: May 31 2012, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

Here's how it went.
ohay guise, I'm popular on teh interwubz web forumz
let's all popular kidz makenz SUPR SEKRIT IRC CHANNEL
so all the 'cool kids' left the forum for IRC, occasionally deigning to post on the forum.
CODE
<Nestor1079>There's a forum? o_o

Then all sorts of people joined the IRC and so it became mainstream.
"lol let's retire to facebook/ twitter/ blogs/ whatever."
now everyone is gone, except for the random esoteric trickle of communication through facebook and twitter feeds.
It's totally plebian to post on internet forums when you can tweet/ facebook/ etc instead.

This post has been edited by Nestor on May 31 2012, 10:56 PM
PMEmail Poster
Sapphire
Posted: May 31 2012, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

QUOTE (Nestor @ May 31 2012, 11:53 PM)
Here's how it went.
ohay guise, I'm popular on teh interwubz web forumz
let's all popular kidz makenz SUPR SEKRIT IRC CHANNEL
so all the 'cool kids' left the forum for IRC, occasionally deigning to post on the forum.
CODE
<Nestor1079>There's a forum? o_o

Then all sorts of people joined the IRC and so it became mainstream.
"lol let's retire to facebook/ twitter/ blogs/ whatever."
now everyone is gone, except for the random esoteric trickle of communication through facebook and twitter feeds.
It's totally plebian to post on internet forums when you can tweet/ facebook/ etc instead.

Pretty much this!

And we all grew up and don't have Otakon meetups with a million kajillion people anymore. sad.gif
ifyoucannotgoaboveme
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 67265

Digital digits of digitosity, Batman!

It's going through the same thing as back in the day when they got tired of paying the telegraph operator to send a message when phones came around, or paying long distance to dial into the BBS systems when Prodigy and AOL came around, or playing online services when the web and browswers started. And now everyone has messaging and text on smart phones and the social media on those phones and so on. We're just waiting for the next fad while getting bored of this one.

Banks of phones at the airport for people getting off of jets to make phone calls, how last millennium.
PMEmail Poster
JohnnyBoy
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 56620

I have just been lurking in the shadows for the past couple of years.I am just patiently waiting for the day when the forums get hit with a surge of Old cats Posting in the forums.
I personally like the forums of Megatokyo better than any other one on the web.I feel at home here rather than on facebook and blogs.

There has to be a way to get the numbers of users back up...
mellow.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
moot
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 03:10 AM
Quote Post

In bad company

Member No.: 883

Speaking of Facebook... wasn't there a FB group for MTC forummers? Not that I want this place to be deader than it already is by telling everyone to go there, but... I just want to know where to find you guys when this place *does* die.

This post has been edited by moot on Jun 4 2012, 03:11 AM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
omoikane
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Sapphire @ Jun 1 2012, 12:09 AM)
And we all grew up and don't have Otakon meetups with a million kajillion people anymore. sad.gif

sad.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOL
Sapphire
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

QUOTE (omoikane @ Jun 4 2012, 10:58 AM)
sad.gif

sad.gif sad.gif
ifyoucannotgoaboveme
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 67265

... sad.gif ... sad.gif ...

....... sad.gif ......

sad.gif.............sad.gif
..sad.gif... ....sad.gif...
..sad.gif........ sad.gif..
.....sad.gif.sad.gif.....
PMEmail Poster
Nestor
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

~Debauchery Tea Party~

Member No.: 24897

QUOTE (JohnnyBoy @ Jun 3 2012, 08:52 PM)
There has to be a way to get the numbers of users back up...
mellow.gif

I think fixing the forums would go a ways towards that. I'd say about 75% of the time I try to post shit i get timeouts, 404s, and resets. When that happens I tend to leave and go post shit on forums that don't have that problem.

i've been browsing now for... maybe an hour and you know what? that's a fuckin' record.
PMEmail Poster
Sapphire
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

QUOTE (Nestor @ Jun 5 2012, 11:24 PM)
I think fixing the forums would go a ways towards that. I'd say about 75% of the time I try to post shit i get timeouts, 404s, and resets. When that happens I tend to leave and go post shit on forums that don't have that problem.

Fixing it now wouldn't bring back many people, but it might actually encourage whoever's left to post a little more. Heck, half the time I can't even access the forums. It's pretty sad that the forums load at the same speed they did when I first joined--and I had dial-up back then.
ssycko
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 02:37 AM
Quote Post

I don't care what you say Alice is DELICIOUS

Member No.: 26506

Collapsing the forums into like 4 or so main subforums instead of the 34 there is now would also do wonders.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
shoeboxjeddy
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Still accepting applications~

Member No.: 45553

QUOTE (Nestor @ Jun 5 2012, 11:24 PM)

i've been browsing now for... maybe an hour and you know what? that's a fuckin' record.

Yeah, that's always been a huge pain in the ass. Reload to get new replies... oh JUST KIDDING, the forums will be inaccessible for the next hour!
PM
Sapphire
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Braiiiiiiiiiiiins.

QUOTE (shoeboxjeddy @ Jun 7 2012, 08:48 AM)
Yeah, that's always been a huge pain in the ass. Reload to get new replies... oh JUST KIDDING, the forums will be inaccessible for the next hour!

It's okay, though, if the forums are unresponsive, then I just go to SomethingAwful which is inherently better. <3
Wavebird_Ocelot
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Just happy to be here

Member No.: 35190

QUOTE (ssycko @ Jun 7 2012, 02:37 AM)
Collapsing the forums into like 4 or so main subforums instead of the 34 there is now would also do wonders.

Something like what dreamshade suggested here half a year ago? I'd be on board with that, and based on that thread so would several other people.

QUOTE (moot)
Not that I want this place to be deader than it already is by telling everyone to go there, but... I just want to know where to find you guys when this place *does* die.

There are a lot of MT forum users on Twitter, so that may be your best bet for finding people outside of these forums.
PM
stageninja
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

I'm a pony now. Ponies are cool.

Member No.: 18430

I kind of already treat the forums as collapsed. I could post x or y topic in Life Issues or Celluloid Cave but why not just post it in Central where it might get read by more people?
PM
Mosh
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Member No.: 7942

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I slowly drifted away from this place sometime after my senior year in high school. I gradually stopped being into the whole anime and manga scene, and became more and more obsessed with my theatre studies. I didn't feel particularly inclined to visit the site since, especially when most of my better MTF buddies are now facebook friends.

This place and the IRC channel were pretty much the only friends I had, and the only thing I could consider social interaction, for practically years. But that started in 2002. Honestly 10 years is an impressive lifespan for a webcomic forum, I think.

This post has been edited by Mosh on Jun 9 2012, 12:20 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Faitchen
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 38858

Yea.... I just stopped by for the first time in a long time. Life got busy, don't have much time for this stuff anymore. But I never dreamed that the forums here would slowly die out.
PM
FEpower
Posted: Jun 11 2012, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1922

The internet happened

Most likely NSFW due to the language in the lyrics.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (10) All « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic