l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (3) All [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Megatokyo: The Game, What Miho Plays
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Militant Warrior for Intelligence

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 33370

Let's engage in a little speculation, shall we?

What if all this is to Miho really is a game? An RPG, so to speak. It would explain the whole situation. Miho, the real person, was recuperating because she either had real medical issues, or she had violated some rules and was put in time out, or perhaps, because her character suffered death, she had to be put into a special holding area until a new character could be built.

So, now let us return to the earlier strips and put this into context with what I've just said above. Piro can see Tokyo as he understands it, and he's involved romantically with Kimiko. Why is this? Because he's "playing the game". He's in the Ren'ai game that he likes to play. However, he'd never get to the end, because he gives up at some point and stops playing. Now, what would happen if he actually finished that game? For good or bad, his goal here is to finish out the game. Kimiko is the goal. Miho is a distraction...and, in some sense, a bad end, given the finish of the Endgames scenario.

What is Largo doing? He's playing the action hero "first person shooter" game. That's why he sees zombies. That's why he constructs "ph34rb0ts". He's playing the game. However, it's not just any game. It's "MGS Solid Snake". The hero fights the bad guys. The hero gets the girl. Erika is "the girl".

So, why aren't the two seeing what the other sees? Because they're not playing each other's game. Piro is not playing "Solid Snake". Largo is not playing ren'ai games. Piro will never see the zombies or other wierdnesses, just as Largo would never see romance in anything other than what he plays.

But Miho sees it all, because she's not just playing her game. She is, in the truest sense of the word, "metagaming". She's the model for some of the characters in their games. Piro saw her as the manipulative bitch in his ren'ai game. Largo saw her as the Queen of the Zombies in his shooter game.

What, then, is Kimiko playing? Is she playing a game where she tries to make the world a better place? What of Erika? Is her game a scenario in which she reveals that everything that ever existed was a lie, an Illuminati-like manipulation of society? I leave those to you, the reader, to figure out. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Rapierman on Sep 4 2011, 10:54 AM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
maldrul
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

wandering idiot kitsune

Member No.: 23343

Kimiko and Erika are not players. They are characters as in NPCs.

Kimiko represents the character type that Piro would allow himself to 'finish' with: Not the cutest, a little neurotic with self esteem issues.

Erika represents the character type that Largo would accept a relationship with: headstrong, violent and just a bit crazy.

Miho, OTOH, IS a player. And not just any player, she is a sysadmin! She has been assigned a particular role in the MegaTokyo metaverse but wants to be able to step outside that role and play her way. Her knowledge of the 'backstage' areas of the game allows her to get away with it, although it seems that too much hacking with the backdrop scenario has its consequences.
PMEmail Poster
paarfi
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 67417

It's not that this doesn't make sense. There are so many "game" and "play" references in MT that this kind of thing does easily spring to mind. But, I don't like it.

To me, the biggest strength of MT is how much I've come to care for the characters. I mean I love Fred's art, the humor, the action, the plot, the fun discussions in the forums, and so much more. But the thing that keeps me around, that keeps me coming back for more, is how much I care for these people.

If MT is all just a game, then it's not real. Not that games can't produce emotion. But I can mow nazi's down by the thousands or run people over with a car in a game and feel little. It's just not the same.

When Yuki cries, or someone says something mean to Ping, or Miho gets that look on her face because someone put a shot through her brittle emotional shell, I care. I want these people to be happy.

If it's just a game, then it feels like that caring is somehow misplaced. I know MT isn't real, and from that standpoint perhaps it isn't much different than a game. But it's more a matter of intent. I like to think that Fred means for these people to be real, and therefore my feelings are justified.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

In a sense, they are "real", but only within the context of their games. For Piro, Kimiko is "real". Ren'ai games are "real'. Tokyo is as he had perceived it, albeit though the rose-colored glasses of ren'ai games. Same with Largo vis-a-vis Erika and "first person shooter" games. They are "real" to him.

I refer back to a thread I participated in a long time ago, speculating about multiple universes and how some can coincide, overlap, and so forth. I also refer to Robert Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast", where universes are created and given existence from the very act of writing a novel. The moment the games Piro and Largo played were created, they were "real" to them; they were actual universes to live out their gaming fantasies. Again, in Piro's ren'ai game, which we have come to term as "Piro-vision", Miho is the manipulative bitch. In Largo's "first-person-shooter" game, which we have come to term as "Largo-vision", Miho is "The Queen of the Undead". Neither one of them is any more true or false than the other, because that is the game fantasy that they play, validated by their gaming mindsets.

(EDIT: The thread is [color=bluehere[/color], with the post available for inspection.)

We've seen giant robots fight giant turtles, Power Rangers in combat, and so on, because someone somewhere is playing a game that has one or more of those elements.

What would happen if it all came crashing down...or perhaps come to a complete stop? One possibility, as suggested by a science-fiction novel, has a race dreaming of Earth and occupying the bodies of people, only to discover that Earth was real and the people are real, and they were held back by the controllers of the machines that allowed them to dream. Once someone went over there and came back with the proof, the controllers had no choice but to destroy the machines that made their "dreams" possible and inform the population that the dreams had come to an end.

This post has been edited by Rapierman on Sep 4 2011, 10:08 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Arwael
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

I saw the dreamers dreaming, I heard the people singing...

Member No.: 72897

This is a little off topic, but...

I've always wondered, what would happen if we managed to get to the point where a technological means of travelling through dimensions would be possible. Because, we have the multiverse theory which states that there is an endless ocean of universes all somehow different jostling around each other. And then there is the alternate dimension/continiuum theories. You know, the make a choice see and spawn a new timeline ones.

Put the both of them together, and somewhere out there is a universe that came into being because it was imagined by someone. Which means there are an infinite variety of universes featuring fictions, choices and the various parts of the human mind/imagination out there.

All ripe for exploration.

I've spent some time thinking about it and came to the conclusion that there would have to be a way of catagorizing them based on a the factors of Habitability, Hostility and Character. While there would be an infinite variety of them out amongst the multiverse, not all of them would be habitable, and the ones that were we might not want to.

This post has been edited by Arwael on Sep 4 2011, 07:39 PM
PMIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 4 2011, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Arwael @ Sep 4 2011, 08:37 PM)
Put the both of them together, and somewhere out there is a universe that came into being because it was imagined by someone. Which means there are an infinite variety of universes featuring fictions, choices and the various parts of the human mind/imagination out there.

That's exactly what "The Number of the Beast" talks about.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
uncreative
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 02:10 AM
Quote Post

Endlessly looping, never updating.

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 54034

QUOTE (Rapierman @ Sep 4 2011, 05:53 PM)
That's exactly what "The Number of the Beast" talks about.

It's a very silly book, really. Heinlein doing a giant monster crossover novel before CLAMP did theirs with Tsubasa. Do all the copies have illustrations at the beginning of each chapter? My giant paperback version does, but I don't think I've ever actually seen another copy of the book around.
PM
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 03:29 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (uncreative @ Sep 5 2011, 03:10 AM)
Do all the copies have illustrations at the beginning of each chapter? My giant paperback version does, but I don't think I've ever actually seen another copy of the book around.

I honestly don't know. I had the big hardcover when I got it, and that was at least 30 years ago. mellow.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
chemi
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Addict
Group Icon

Group: Fake Mods
Member No.: 37563

Miho plays "The Game."

And all of you just lost.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Arwael
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

I saw the dreamers dreaming, I heard the people singing...

Member No.: 72897

QUOTE (Rapierman @ Sep 5 2011, 03:29 AM)
I honestly don't know. I had the big hardcover when I got it, and that was at least 30 years ago. mellow.gif

Hmm. I'll have to comb through my local library. They might have a copy. I've found some odd stuff there.
PMIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
Tangent
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Annoying Forums Since 2000

Member No.: 60328

QUOTE (chemi @ Sep 5 2011, 11:45 AM)
Miho plays "The Game."

xkcd has the perfect response to that:

user posted image
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (chemi @ Sep 5 2011, 11:45 AM)
Miho plays "The Game."

You asshole! I'm goinna have to get you back for that. mad.gif

Oh...wait...

QUOTE (tangent @ Sep 5 2011, 12:36 PM CDT)
user posted image

...well, whaddya know. biggrin.gif ninjanatsD.gif cool.gif

PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Teddy-Werebear
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

The one true Green Lantern of sector SD!

Member No.: 39158

Teddy-Werebear shall file this under things that make him go hmmmmmm...
PMEmail Poster
iffy
Posted: Sep 6 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 67265

Isn't it lucky Miho happened upon these two. 434 and everything. Yet are we entirely convinced Endgames ever ended? How about 1121 and 1122. 1271 and 1272.

Something clearly is going on. What and why? Part of it certainly seems to be Largo playing a different kind of game than Piro, but they're both playing and they both involve Miho. How deeply are they intertwined and what's Miho's true role. It seems to keep going back to what we saw in 818 and 819.

For that matter, 311 and 270. 261. And 1115 and 1247. Or maybe it's the overlapping, all different and all seemingly correct views of Ed, Dom and Ibara.

From 382 we just might assume that Miho's game includes both Piro and Largo (regardless if they're playing "totally" separate games or not) and that Ping plays a major role. Oh, say, 1229 and 1242.
PMEmail Poster
Version2
Posted: Sep 6 2011, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 69735

Megatokyo is a sandbox MMO driven entirely by player action. There are no NPCs, just some players who would rather spend their time following other people's stories than their own.
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Sep 7 2011, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3418

Sort of related to this line of thinking, I got trapped in the TV Tropes page for NBC's Community yesterday, and saw this about Abed:
the joke does make sense if you believe Abed is such a Cloudcookoolander that he sometimes believes he's a character in a TV series, and talks in a manner consistent with being one, when he isn't (even though he is). Abed is a TV character who often has delusions that he is a TV character; this is part of his characterisation and it is possible for him to comment on it without breaking the fourth wall.

And I realized that's pretty damn close to how Largo acts, but with games rather than TV. Except that Largo is a comic character who often has delusions that he is a game character, so the symmetry isn't as good. Though the genre savvy part of it still works fine because it's a comic built in part on gaming tropes.
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 7 2011, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Ray Kremer @ Sep 7 2011, 03:18 PM)
Though the genre savvy part of it still works fine because it's a comic built in part on gaming tropes.

...and what better way to present them than to bring up a version of "The Number of the Beast" combined with "Dream Park"? laugh.gif cool.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
TheGreatHibiki
Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Master of the Avatar of Swirly Doom

Member No.: 25983

Look at Largo and Piro's past gaming history. Their story now is very similar.

Endgames was at the time the ultimate MMORPG, however it was set in a fantasy world were things like slimes and zombies and such existed.

Largo was the brash, head strong warrior. He liked ass kicking girls, he liked blowing things up and he enjoyed the challenge hordes and other opponents gave him. He ignored the setting and did as he wanted, blowing away the character stats in that respect. He usually had a tough no nonsense female partner to back him up. When that partner failed him, he gave up and walked away.

Piro was the soft spoken, story driven character who interacted with the world around 'her' to a level that astounded others. It wasn't the fights that brought him back to the game, it was characters and people he found and met along the way. Namely a character with a hidden fault and taboo that brought Piro to abandoning his senses and ending the game. A game he couldn't win without heartbreak, leaving the person he liked and withdrawing so he wouldn't be hurt.

Megatokyo as a game is the next step in MMORPG, and set in the modern age, but still having zombies and other odd npcs. A real life RPG that they all play. A Truman Show meets WoW scenario.

Largo is still the brash head strong warrior. He still likes the ass kicking girls, he still blows stuff up, and he enjoys fighting the hordes and enemy opponents. He has pulled away from the normal running of the game, much like he did in Endgames. He has Erika as the tough no nonsense female partner backing him up. What happens from here is unknown. Does Erika walk away, leaving him damaged, or does she heal him instead of the enemy? This is the next step up for Largo.

Piro remains the softly spoken story driven character, already immersed in the 'worlds' atmosphere, playing it as it plays him. He ignores all the oddities, because it ISN'T what he is playing this for. He's playing it for the newest character to connect to, Kimiko. But Miho, something from Endgames is back, and is telling him the secrets of both this game and the last. At this point he could return to a game he never finished, or he could keep going with this newest one, and have the chance of ending up the same as he did before. A reset button, or taking a chance for an end that isn't bad.

The mobs and PCs have changed. The environment has changed. The ending, the game, is still very much the same.

This post has been edited by TheGreatHibiki on Sep 8 2011, 10:06 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
iffy
Posted: Sep 8 2011, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Bravo.
PMEmail Poster
Haldane
Posted: Sep 9 2011, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Arm of Pavis

Member No.: 41622

Gasp, I'm appalled, ifyou was succinct.
It's the end of the empire...
run away, run away...
PMEmail Poster
iffy
Posted: Sep 9 2011, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

MT seems very much an extension of Endgames (and vice versa) on a lot of levels, yes? Including that we still don't know what Miho's trying to do or why or the extent of her powers. Or a great number of details. Such as if Piro really turned her in, who was it to. What, if anything, did they do to Miho. Things like that.

Yet sometimes commentary brevity is far more explanatory than lengthy expository discourse is. A picture paints a thousand words and such. (I've said most of what I might have said before anyway. biggrin.gif)

It's been known for me to follow up particularly insightful posts with single words, some even shorter than that one. Sometimes it's longer but limited to around three paragraphs. Like here! wink.gif Never fear though, there will be plenty of future posts that are the usual length. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
stsparky
Posted: Sep 10 2011, 12:09 AM
Quote Post

Otosan no Ninja no Hime Satomi

Member No.: 30339

who wouldn't take THE GREAT HIBIKI over the moroseness of Robert? I think Hibiki has the right feel.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
Rapierman
Posted: Sep 10 2011, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

What? blink.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
TheGreatHibiki
Posted: Sep 10 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Master of the Avatar of Swirly Doom

Member No.: 25983

I concur...

What? blink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
stsparky
Posted: Sep 10 2011, 11:36 PM
Quote Post

Otosan no Ninja no Hime Satomi

Member No.: 30339

You - Hibiki - have crafted a brilliant scenario that promotes a rather positive POV that explains Largo and Piro extremely well. The other individual mentioned - not so much.
... emot-words.gif ...
So much for them playing a "different" game it's an update of the genre.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) All [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic