l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (3) All [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Where's The Joke?, Did MT just stop being a comic?
Lafy
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 10034

I've been reading MT for years now, and for the most part all of the comics have been... comics. The last two I have to say hardly qualify. That's not to say that i dont like them, or that the aren't important to the story. But doesn't this make it hard to call it an online comic? Should MT be classified as manga? If so can we make fred hire a team of starving artists to plow this little online 'manga' into something that can pump out monthly publications instead of yearly books? I know fred has limited time and resources but if MT is to remain a comic i think fred needs to get warmth going and to pump his manga impluses into that, leaving MT as something humourous to read every couple days.

--matt
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
Dog Soldier
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Self perma ban since no one else will

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 16373

I really don't believe that you've been reading MT for years.
PM
UserGoogol
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Math is Power!

Member No.: 10723

[Edit: He registered at Megatokyo Forums in 2003, so he has been reading Megatokyo for years. Two, to be precise.]

Comics don't have to be comedic to be comics, although there's an obvious etymological connection. Superman is a comic, so is Garfield, so is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, so is Maus, so is Love Hina.

A manga is just a Japanese comic, although of course the Japanese comic book industry is very different from the American industry. Megatokyo's text publisher (Dark Horse) publishes both, so who cares?

This post has been edited by UserGoogol on Feb 25 2005, 06:45 PM
PMEmail Poster
Kamikaze Kenny
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 27164

It's a comic.

It's online.

Anything else?

Well OK, it's not a comic in the "every-strip-has-a-punchline" sense, but it's still a comic. A lot of strips do have the punchline element, and a lot of strips are plot development. A lot of strips are both.
PMEmail Poster
reblekid2003
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 34979

::hits Lafy with a cluebat::
B4k4 n00b, Fred won't sink to that level noooo...
besides he said that he was in no way a "manga-ka"
and besides he said that warmth is on his new year's resolution to-do list.
PMEmail Poster
CountAlpicola
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10078

QUOTE (Lafy)
But doesn't this make it hard to call it an online comic? Should MT be classified as manga?
I direct you at the graphic at the top of every page: "online comic/manga" Truly, MT serves the purpose of both at different times, thoug the emphasis has gradually shifted closer to manga style writing than a traditional joke-a-day comic.

QUOTE (Lafy)
If so can we make fred hire a team of starving artists to plow this little online 'manga' into something that can pump out monthly publications instead of yearly books?
As if the one we have isn't bad enough?

Really, a month worth of story covers at best 12 strips. It's a pace that has worked reasonably well for years. The best part about it is that there is a lot of time to think pretty deeply about what's going on, rather than getting swept up in the overall story and not paying attention to the small details that make MT what it is.

QUOTE (Lafy)
i think fred needs to get warmth going
Yes. Very much lots of yes.

[edit]
QUOTE (WhiteKnight)
I really don't believe that you've been reading MT for years.
Postcount++; eh?

This post has been edited by CountAlpicola on Feb 25 2005, 06:47 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Lafy
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

I didn't register in the forums the day i started reading... when did MT come out? there were probably 10 or so comics done when i started reading them...
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
hikaru99
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 23355

QUOTE (Lafy @ Feb 26 2005, 08:36 AM)
If so can we make fred hire a team of starving artists to plow this little online 'manga' into something that can pump out monthly publications instead of yearly books?

You tell me. He always give the reason he's still an amateur.
PMEmail Poster
PatheticEli
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

The Incredible Edible Egg

Member No.: 16544

I understand what Lafy's trying to say, but Megatokyo pulled away from being a gag-a-day online comic a long time ago. Yes, it's still funny lots of the time, but it's also dramatic a lot of the time as well. It's a mix that works best when read in succession, but the Count made a good point about being able to think about the strips, thus seeing every little detail before moving on. It works well with scoping out the important things you may miss if you read each strip quickly as opposed to really looking at it.
Lafy
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

Yes MT has been drifting away from real punch lines every comic, but i've found that for the most part every comic has something somewhere that's somewhat funny. I'm a big fan of fred's ability to mix the serious story line with humourous tid-bits. I just found that the last two really had nothing but piro being depressed. I would hate to see MT lose the jokes.

I'm not really sure how fred could have worked humour into those comics without destroying the mood.

To be honest I think I'll be reading MT for a long time to come regardless of the presence of humour. I just like to see the humour.
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
littlethunder
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Don't believe everything you THINK!

Member No.: 33790

Why don't you understand your own words: "for the most part"? Not all the strips in MegaTokyo are funny. Do you remember Piro getting blood on Kimiko? How about Piro with a bloody nose? Or Erika in emotional pain? Those weren't funny. I could list strips from farther back, if you wish.

Yes, it's manga, and that's how it presents itself. What is wrong with it? You can get teh funay at dozens of other sites. What's wrong with getting a story here?

LittleThunder
PMEmail Poster
-=Spanners=-
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 23381

absolutely littlethunder. And another thing, if you have been reading for years, surely you already appreciate that, once in a while, a comic is not funny, so why complain now when there are two not funny ones?

Seems a little suspicious to me...

(I'm not paranoid, there really ARE people out to get me

Spanners

...under a cardboard box...
PMEmail Poster
Rapierman
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Militant Warrior for Intelligence

Member No.: 33370

Sir, if you thought all comics were supposed to be funny 100% of the time, then you haven't read enough. Ever read Marvel? DC? Those comic's AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY, even if they do throw in the occasional humorous scene. NOT ALL COMICS ARE MEANT TO BE FUNNY, AND THOSE THAT ARE DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO BE FUNNY 100% OF THE TIME.

If you want total laughs, Monty Python may be more your speed (I enjoyed those guys immensely).

Right now, it's time to get serious. You do know how to do that, right?

EDIT: While you're at it, go have a couple of drinks and lighten up, will ya?

This post has been edited by Rapierman on Feb 25 2005, 07:30 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
CountAlpicola
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 10078

QUOTE (Lafy)
I just found that the last two really had nothing but piro being depressed. I would hate to see MT lose the jokes.
Is that what all this is about? Good lord, it's two strips!

"Oh no! The past 677 have been great, but THESE TWO haven't had humor! I hope Fred hasn't lost it!!" rolleyes.gif

You said it yourself, situational humor requires situations conducive to humor, and you can't really get that in every strip. Maybe if this was a long term pattern you'd have something, but two strips? No. Just no.

On that note, I leave this thread for good. The rest of you guys may wanna do that as well. Or post pad. meh.
HamHam
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

BANNED

Group: Banned
Member No.: 31083

The difference between "manga" and "comic" is a pure otaku manufacturism. No such thing really exists.
PMEmail Poster
heeroyuy965
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 34311

you oblviously never bought the book, he clearly explains on page 69 during the mega-science thearter comic "a lot of people e-mailed me wondering what the joke was in the previous comic. it was very frusterating. i was trying to break the mold that web comics had to be like newspaper comics - something funny everyday."
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Piro
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

tsk tsk. I haven't heard THIS complaint in years. smile.gif

Think of it this way... i'm sure that you've all seen movies that are considered 'comedies' right? Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't some of the best comedies out there, or movies that have a lot of t3h funny, often, at times, deadly serious?

Life is about contrast. You can usualy find humor in almost everything you do. Sometimes, things just aren't funny.

Besides, the PA guys are a hella lot funnier than i could ever be, so i focus on the touchy feely weepy stuff because that's what i'm good at smile.gif Well... not good, really, but better than t3h funny.

fredrin
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
heeroyuy965
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Well... not good, really

nonsence, you are plenty good at it. if you werent then this many people wouldnt read your comic. and there wouldnt be stupid noobs to complain about stuff like this
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Shinmeko
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 24136

Hrmmm.

As both a Megatokyo reader of...now...4 years, as well as a retired comics section editor, I can say without a doubt that not all comics are meant to be funny all the time, if at all (Maus) and Megatokyo certainly ranks as one of these types of comics.

A manga is a comic produced in Japan, often as a monthly or weekly periodical - pretty much a comic book.

Megatokyo is an online comic/manga, meaning that it has both American and Japanese slants, while being published online - or now archivally in book form.

So, you have been edified and now can start your new life as a less clueless Megatokyo fan.
penwhale
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 13736

QUOTE (Piro @ Feb 25 2005, 10:21 PM)
tsk tsk. I haven't heard THIS complaint in years. smile.gif

Think of it this way... i'm sure that you've all seen movies that are considered 'comedies' right? Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't some of the best comedies out there, or movies that have a lot of t3h funny, often, at times, deadly serious?

Life is about contrast. You can usualy find humor in almost everything you do. Sometimes, things just aren't funny.

Besides, the PA guys are a hella lot funnier than i could ever be, so i focus on the touchy feely weepy stuff because that's what i'm good at smile.gif Well... not good, really, but better than t3h funny.

fredrin

For this, I direct you to Megatokyo Vol. 1, Page 65:
"I was trying to break out of the mold thatwebcomics had to be like newspaper comics - something funny, every day" wrote Piro.
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

So.... what, this is the usual "MT isn't funny anymore" complaint just without the "and therefore I don't like it now" part? Or maybe he is saying he doesn't like it, I'm not quite sure. Fred is hardly the only artist on the web doing a continuous story with humor only thrown in here and there, He's just the most well known.

Hell, daily serial comics that are not humor-based have been runnning in newspapers for decades and decades. Don't tell me what Fred does isn't a viable model for producing a story.
heeroyuy965
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Addict

>penwhale

wow, i just said the same thing, no really scroll up. and it was page 69 not 65 geez you should know that laugh.gif

This post has been edited by heeroyuy965 on Feb 25 2005, 09:06 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Blacksilver
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 34793

Comic is about format, not content. Garfield, Spawn, comics both.

PMEmail Poster
penwhale
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 13736

QUOTE (heeroyuy965 @ Feb 25 2005, 11:04 PM)
>penwhale

wow, i just said the same thing, no really scroll up. and it was page 69 not 65 geez you should know that laugh.gif

>heeroyuy965

No. I'm positive. 65. not 69. Did you buy the new version or the old version?
PMEmail Poster
heeroyuy965
Posted: Feb 25 2005, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Addict

oh i never thought of that, i have the first version
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) All [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic