l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Comic Discussion Timing, Your input wanted
paarfi
Posted: May 19 2017, 05:46 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 67417

I'm sure many of y'all know this by now, but one of the perks of being a supporter of Fred on his Patreon at the $1/month level (or higher) is that you get to see the comic a day before it's posted elsewhere for everyone else. While this is a great thing, since the support of folks for the patreon is why Fred has been able to put comics out much more frequently lately, it causes a bit of a problem for us here on SD.

Fred has been waiting to start the new story discussion thread for a new comic until it has been posted globally. Some patreon supporters haven't been waiting for this, but instead have posted comments for the next comic to the end of the previous comic's thread.

On the one hand:
- a lot of SD regulars are patreon supporters and will see the comic early
- it's nice to be able to comment when you first see the comic and the immediate excitement is still there.
- we'll get more posts here if people can comment right away
- patreon folks can comment on the patreon site, but that splits our discussion between two sites

On the other hand:
- commenting about a comic before it's released to everyone is spoilery
- while I would urge everyone to support Fred on patreon, even $1/month may be more than some people can (or want to) afford

How do y'all think we should handle this?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
garapagosu
Posted: May 19 2017, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 15903

I think it'd be fine to start a thread once the Patreon post went live with a note that the main site would post the next day.

That would keep the relevant spoilers on the correct comic thread. Don't want spoilers: don't read the thread until the main page updates.
PMEmail Poster
darrin
Posted: May 19 2017, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 55299

I agree with the idea of starting the thread as soon as the strip is available at Patreon. It's easy enough to avoid the thread until the comic is available on the main site.

And if spoilers are going to be posted anyway, I'd rather they be in the correct thread.
PMEmail Poster
wideload
Posted: May 19 2017, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 65578

Same here... Lots movies are seen by folks before other folks, music heard by folks before other folks, memes seen by folks before other folks... I'm not convinced it's an issue. It may actually encourage more folks to become Patreon supporters.
Mamma Peach
Posted: May 19 2017, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 76699

Actually, I love spoilers! tongue.gif
(My daughter thinks I'm seriously weird.)
PMUsers Website
Ningen
Posted: May 19 2017, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 55780

I'm not too fussed.

If the forum is up, and I see a new comic thread, my first action is to go and look at the comic. I do like to get my own view before I dive into the fary. If the comic isn't there, I can come back. With the forums as they are, that's taking a bit of a risk, but hopefully that will eventually get sorted.

TLDR: Threads up once the page is on Patreon seems fine.
PMEmail Poster
paarfi
Posted: May 23 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 67417

Ok, I talked to Fred and we'll start the comic discussion threads when he posts to patreon. Thanks for the input. happy.gif
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic