l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Star Wars The Force Awakens, Because...
Wavehawk
  Posted: Nov 11 2015, 03:35 AM
Quote Post

Some would say I'm the Reverse...

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 555

...I hope this film delivers. That's all I ask for. It's lookign way better than the prequels but I've been burned BAD before having too high expectations for a game or movie.

and seriously, I refuse to accept that the last topic on celluloid forums was abotu Ponies on youtube. mad.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Shindou Shuichi-kun
Posted: Nov 20 2015, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Alpha Female, 2001

Member No.: 603

It's so, so hard not to let the hype get to me, and try to stay calm so I won't get too excited and get burned like we did when Episode 1 came out..

But I'm so ready. I'm so excited.
PMEmail Poster
Wavehawk
Posted: Dec 11 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

I had a discussion with a work colleague who was younger and we actually discussed this. He and his friends loved Eps 1-3 (Prequels) but thought that Ep 4-6 (original) were too old and boring. And we then got into the discussion that it's probably to do with age---he and his friends were 10-11 when the Phantom Menace came out in 1999 and thus grew up with -that- Star Wars. Meanwhile, I grew up with the original trilogy and held that as my definition of Star Wars. Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite of them all BTW

That actually got me to wondering whether majority of the people who liked the Prequel trilogy were mostly 90's generation kids--and whether the reason they don't like the upcoming Star Wars Force Awakens trailer is because it's not 'Their' Star Wars?

This post has been edited by Wavehawk on Dec 11 2015, 05:27 PM
Hisui
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

the power of Azusa compels you

Member No.: 12633

Grew up with the Old Trilogy, but I'm anomalous in that I also like the New Trilogy. I do prefer the Old Trilogy over the New one, though. I appreciate different things about the two. But then, I'm also close to ambivalent about The Force Awakens --- I see the saga as Anakin's/Vader's story, and the trailers don't give me the feel of being a part of that, even with the implication Kylo Ren is "continuing" Vader's work.

I'll still see it, though. It's Star Wars.

This post has been edited by Hisui on Dec 15 2015, 07:30 PM
PM
Wavehawk
Posted: Dec 18 2015, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Someone on facebook spoiled me today.

He is goign to die.
Mamma Peach
Posted: Jan 20 2016, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 76699

So, have you seen it yet (I have), and what did you think? (Sorry someone spoiled it for you.)
PMUsers Website
omoikane
Posted: Jan 21 2016, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite out of 1-6. well, 1-7 now.

Which is to say, I hope #8 follows #7's pattern of following the original trilogy.

And it's been a month, if you are still sensitive to Star Wars spoilers you should have fixed it by now?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Wavehawk
Posted: Jan 22 2016, 02:18 AM
Quote Post

Empire is a very hard movie to beat overall. Ep 7 I think does well, I'd rank it better than Return of the Jedi in terms of delivery, and while it doesn't forget to be fun in and of itself it's not too self-effacing.

I find most of the people here in Oz that I know who claim to be Star Wars fans and vocally hate on Ep 7 happen to be the ones who loved the prequel (Clones) trilogies...you know, the ones demanding that Lucas direct the movies again and Ep7 be scratched for lack of over-the-top DBZ-esque Jedi lightsaber battles.

(Goddamnit, I'm collecting Star Wars action figures again after all these years...)

This post has been edited by Wavehawk on Jan 22 2016, 02:21 AM
Mamma Peach
Posted: Jan 22 2016, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 76699

I thought the film was well done over all. Yes it was action packed, and in a few places reminded me of the new Marvel franchise, but it wasn't a bad thing. I disagree with people who wished it was more CGI an not so much real places, robotics, and puppetry. I loved the realism you get with real things like that (and was amazed by some of the scenery they found). I disagree with the reviewer who said that the main characters were neglected for the sake of action and nostalgia, and that they didn't get the level of treatment they needed. How much back story can you cram into one film anyway? We got tons of back story in this film, and all in very plot relevant locations too. One of the things I liked the best was the level of non-verbal communications, the quality of acting that went into the film. After the wooden acting of Hayden Christensen as Anakin I was very appreciative of the abilities of the new characters (and their director). And to that same reviewer (who waxed eloquent over episode 4) I wanted to say, "Were we watching the same films even?" There's a lot of nostalgia for episode 4, after all it came during a time when we thought Hollywood must have died and was shambling around like a smelly zombie corpse, but it wasn't the greatest film in the history of film, just an overwhelming best for it's time. Times have changed and so have the movie goers and movies. I like what one web comic writer said about his experience, that he loved the nostalgia as well as the new characters, and the action, but when did everyone get so old? Then it dawned on him that he was old too, as were all of the other people who he went to see episode 4 with for the first time. I think that's what episode 7 brought to the table. Star Wars, especially episode 4, is a legend not only within the movie but in real life. There is a new generation now for whom it is merely a legend as well as the old generation who remembers it nostalgically. The film did well for bringing both together. Another thing I liked about the film, being a person who loves plot, was the many plot twists and innuendos that might be foreshadowing or might be red herrings, but we'll have to see the next episode to know which (especially the ending and everything that surrounded it).

So how's that for a non-spoiler movie review? Most reviewers I read were all about the spoilers (not that I mind that sort of thing myself) but they seemed to be so taken with the spoilery stuff that they didn't critique the film itself.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll