l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Kicking the Script, Kicking the Script
Dym
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 7375

Okay, I haven't even read through a third of the rants, so if the answer already exists somewhere, sorry.

Anyway, back when RL Largo was still involved, there were references every now and then to him and Piro hammering out the script together. Since Largo's left, does Fred kick the script around with anyone anymore?
PMEmail Poster
Piro
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Basically what happens is that I spend a lot of time working on the overall storyline, eventlists, time/locations stuffs that keep some semblance of MT in order and going in the directions I want the story to go. I develop rough episode lists that are very flexible. Final stage is to write the scripts themselves, which sometiems lead to new directions in the story or a change in that episode list.

I have a group of friends that I bounce story ideas off of here and there - dom, ed, seraphim, asmodeus, natsuki, pocky, and some others, depending on what thier interests are (for instance, i have some friends that i go over shoujo-y things with and others i discuss game threads with).

Final scripts go up for revew, and Dom is the one who tends to knock them around the most. Dom is a very good and very patient editor - i have a tendency to accept and include and work in things and suggestions, but I also tend to ignore and not apply suggested changes from my review team. I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to the story.

Biggest problem I had right up to when i was laid off, and then last week when i was workin so damn hard on the book that I didnt have time to script things properly, is that i often would not have time to get anyone's feedback on what i was doing. Usually, this turned out ok, but there is no question the better MT strips, and mt storylines across the board happen when there is time to get good feedback ahead of time.

This i think is going to be the greatest benefit of me doing MT full time - I can get things done ahead of time, in stead of the last minute. Before my last week crunch on the book, i was actually finishing comics 6hrs to a whole day ahead of time - and imho the comics were better. The last three comics suffered a little from 'not enough review time'.

Anyways, thats a little of how it works. Speaking of writing, thats really my main task for today.

piro
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Psieye
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 01:38 PM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5841

Do you have a particular time of the year in mind for the current MT time? Or is that Too Much Information?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
LFP6
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

The Healer King!

Member No.: 6777

Methinks it is sufficient to say that Piro-sama's set the scene in the present day...but that's just me.

Oh, btw Piro-sama, thanks for you and the others that made this fine work called MegaTokyo [bows].

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Caduceuskun
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 5191

Actually the scene is set several years ago, when Sega was still a major contender in the console world. Otherwise Dom's presense would just be silly. I also suspect that the time is flexible, much like the world, seeing as the X-boxes were being shipped when Asmodeus came over, even though Sega was dead by the time X-box shipped. I think...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
-bb
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 1026

/me breaves heavily
Hi... Fred.

J/k.

I had a feeling that Dom had a big part in the script writing process, especially considering his activity shot up when Largo left. I get the feeling that his activity is a result of him being dragged by someone. Whose idea was it for Dom to start editing?
PMEmail Poster
JazzDuck
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 09:53 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 7004

Well, time being flexible does make the most sense. But there's a pretty good reason it can't technically be said as being present-day, and that's that on average one day of MT takes... oh... between 5 and 10 months our time to view. (Chapter 0, which is several MT-weeks long, took 10 months our time. Chapter 1, which is one MT-day long, took only 5 months; but Chapter 2 which is another MT-day took another 10 months.) So if MT was supposed to be present-time, then we'd fall behind by a factor of about 200!

But flexi-time is the best kind. And what's even better, is that even within MT there's different times going on. Read nos. 229, 239, 241, and 259, and note how the gameworld which was progressing quite slowly through a couple of DPD's, at about 3 game-seconds for each our-month, became Tohya's dream while she was unconscious which happened real-MT-time. So even within the story there's a skewing and stretching of MT-time vs. gameworld-time....

mad props to Fred for making a couple of DPD's into a plot element, btw.
PMEmail Poster
JazzDuck
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 7004

In reply to:

Actually the scene is set several years ago, when Sega was still a major contender in the console world. Otherwise Dom's presense would just be silly....seeing as the X-boxes were being shipped when Asmodeus came over, even though Sega was dead by the time X-box shipped.

I was just thinking about this and I realized that there is another possible explanation... Sega's still around as a software company of course, and maybe they think that if they can reverse-engineer Ping they'll be able to make a hardware-market comeback. So they could still have Dom out on his mission even after the XBox shipped, and still have it make sense with what we know of the real-life Sega and XBox.
PMEmail Poster
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Nov 20 2002, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 541

Well, as near as we can figure's it's still mid-2000 for Piro and Largo. Figure that they left difrectly after E3 of that year, and roughly two months have pased since then.

However, I really don't think linear time as such exists in MegaTokyo, when we've gotten lines like "you only mention [the railcard] once a week" when, if you'd been paying attention, it had in fact only been two days since that incident.

my point is this: don't worry about it.
PMEmail Poster
ph00tbag
Posted: Nov 21 2002, 12:37 AM
Quote Post

The ONE AND ONLY

Member No.: 4372

Actually, there's no real definition of how much time passes between the end of chapter 0 and the beginning of chapter 1. Considering Erika mentions weeks, I'm willing to assume that a few weeks have passed in MT time. Other warpings in the space-time continuum are, as of yet, inexplicable.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Psieye
Posted: Nov 21 2002, 01:30 AM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

I was referring more to questions like:

> What season is it?
> Has the semester started, almost finishing or mid-way?

Between [75] and [80] there is definitely a long time interval. Here is my arguement pointing out people starting to wear short-sleeves when Yuki's friends were wearing blazers before. That indefinite time interval cannot last too long as Yuki says: "I found your bookbag a few weeks ago."

Based on their clothes, I'm thinking around mid-late spring. That means semester has probably gone on for about a month.
gaijin-rx
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 742

On who dragged Dom to the editor's seat, I suppose it's just natural since Dom *is* some sort of writer in RL afterall. And by the looks of the writing forum (which reminds me, haven't been there for quite some time), he's real good at what he does.
PMEmail Poster
beege
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 845

>my point is this: don't worry about it.

Nice to know there are people around who aren't driving themselves silly worrying about MT's more or less unresolvable time conflicts.
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3418

I think there's only one night in between Chap 0 and Chap 1, since that's the night Piro, Largo, and Ping spend sleeping on a park bench. Looking back over chapter zero though, the rail card incident certainly could have happened many days previous. The earliest strip that must happen that same day is [87], when Piro runs across Yuki at the bookstore.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Telliamed
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 03:00 AM
Quote Post

Delusional Fool

Member No.: 343

The rail card incident happened in the mid-afternoon after Piro ran out of the apartment to look for his bag. He came home to find Largo with Junpei's computer. He ends up playing games and forgets about his bag for a few days. When he remembers, he goes to the Megagamers to buy a new sketchpad and pencils. There he meets Yuki again, whose had the bag long enough to have to come up with an excuse for having it. I'd think that would be longer than a week, even two weeks.

Also, Largo had a cable modem installed. I don't know about Tokyo, but if that were in the US it would take at least three weeks.
PMUsers Website
Kanmekaz
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5722

Sega is still in the gaming industry they didn't go anywhere, not much has changed int he Sega HQ, cept they got smart and realized you did't make any money off systems so why bother. They still create a lot of the games out there.
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

In reply to:

He ends up playing games and forgets about his bag for a few days.

More than 2 weeks definitely. Otherwise these 2 comments don't make sense:

"I found your bookbag a few weeks ago"

"You bring it up at least once a week"

Even more significant is the disappearance of blazers which we last see in this strip. From [80] onwards, everyone wears short-sleeves outside, even whilst in uniform. I'm thinking that in those 'few weeks' the weather in MT has become a lot warmer - maybe around spring time.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic