l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fifteen Years Later--tokimemo?, Just checking...
Wavehawk
Posted: Jul 3 2009, 05:12 AM
Quote Post

Some would say I'm the Reverse...

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 555

...mainly because this fits nowhere else on these forums, and I wanted a call-out and check to see who is or was a Tokimemo fan and still out there.

Especially seeing that my Tokimemo-based webpage hasn't been updated since I moved to Australia, and Yahoo pulling the plug on Geocities makes me wonder if I should even bother waste any further time and effort on a Shiori Shrine elsewhere that most half-ass twits are going to be trolling and spamming my inbox about.

I just can't help but wonder, what with the way most Bishoujo/Renai/VN type games out there, if Tokimemo failed to continue it's popularity simply because its theme, feel, and characters no longer have any relevancy in the world of VN fans. People seem more interested in homicidal psycho imouto-types with meat cleavers, it seems.

No, I'm not going to make a silly petition to Konami to revive Tokimemo (if they lack the cohones to back Six Days in Fallujah, no way are they going to bother with a Dating sim for boys any longer). I just wanted to toss around other fans/ex-fans thoughts, gripes, whinges, etc. on the game, merchandise, and fanwork done around it such as doujinshi. Not the stuff itself; I'm asking for input on how you feel about it a decade down the track.

This post has been edited by Wavehawk on Jul 3 2009, 05:14 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Link
Posted: Jul 3 2009, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Magical Girl

Member No.: 22152

>if they lack the cohones to back Six Days in Fallujah, no way are they going to bother with a Dating sim for boys any longer

I doubt Konami has the drive nor care for the PC market any longer, but considering the meticulous detail of Love Plus, they still care about galge, I'd say. Someone has to, or else they wouldn't bother. There's also been a port or two since the original release of Tokimemo in the past few years.

This post has been edited by Link on Jul 3 2009, 11:00 AM
PMEmail Poster
gekiganwing
Posted: Jul 3 2009, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 24936

A few months after giving renai games a chance, I found the H game True Love (which can be described as a simplified Tokimeki Memorial) through online auctions. For years, that was the closest experience I had to a stat-driven dating simulation. Thankfully, there are now a few more renai fans who speak English and who are willing to create their own content. In mid-2008, there was finally an all-ages Tokimemo-style dating sim in English. It's called Summer Session, and it's available at tycoongames.eu .

So yes, I'm still interested in Tokimeki Memorial. I'd still like to see a Tokimemo game in English, because I enjoy complex gameplay. Yes, I know it's still almost impossible to expect a translation... even one that uses (to use phrases from TVTropes) Woolseyisms or a Cultural Translation. At least there's some well-written English FAQs.
OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol
Posted: Jul 3 2009, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Azifu~ forever and always~
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 201

As much as I loved Tokimemo (and you, Mike-kun, above all people should know it), my answer to this question is: "Tokimemo is dead, let it rest in peace. Over-exploitation of a concept/idea/franchise isn't usually a good thing. Move on."
PMUsers WebsiteICQYahoo
Wavehawk
Posted: Jul 4 2009, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

@Link- Galge, maybe. Not really sure how to take Love Plus since it's more akin to the Roommate series than a renai game. Maybe that's where the genre itself should be going, though.

@Olf- As I said--I'm not trying to raise petition to revive Tokimemo. I'm just trying to gather various thoughts about it. I'd go out on a limb and wager that, with the exception of someone you and I both know on the Shiori and Renai MLs, most people don't really care about it anymore, anyway.

I mean, I do, but that's my opinion. And Opinions are like...well, you know what I mean.
tsugecchi
Posted: Jul 7 2009, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 22578

I still think the original Tokimemo (I got both the very first version for PCE and the Saturn Remake) is like THE classic galgame. I got the second rather recently and still are not too far into it, but it feels a bit like a rehash with less memorable characters so far.

I must say I'm somewhat surprised there never was a proper translation for any of the games. It's not too surprising that the demand for a fanpage is low in the western world with no way to even play the series for most.
PMEmail PosterICQ
Wavehawk
Posted: Jul 7 2009, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (tsugecchi @ Jul 7 2009, 04:18 PM)
It's not too surprising that the demand for a fanpage is low in the western world with no way to even play the series for most.

Hell yeah. I own the fanpage, remember? mellow.gif
charmeddvd123
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 03:46 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 67241

So interesting. I like it personally and hope you'll bring us more amazing stuffs.

(Mod Edit: spambot)

This post has been edited by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol on Jul 16 2009, 04:13 AM
PMEmail Poster
DocMui
Posted: Jul 18 2009, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 11642

Sorry to dredge this up, but I still enjoy Tokimeki Memorial--but its time has, sadly, passed. sad.gif

Still, there is a group out there who is translating the game in a fairly user-friendly way.

http://www.freewebs.com/kiminosobani/

They've translated most of the text for the events, but the only girls who are entirely translated are Mio Kisaragi and Yuina Himoo. Perhaps they could use a little help? wink.gif

--DocMui
Yoshio
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 5295

I think Yahoo also pulled the plug on whatever page was hosting my Yoshio Saotome avatar. I wouldn't spend time updating a Tokimemo site, but you would be doing people a service if you were to archive your material someplace accessible. Every time a site goes down we lose a little bit of the game. Oh, where have you gone, Manoaplace?
PMEmail Poster
Wavehawk
Posted: Aug 17 2009, 03:21 AM
Quote Post

Last I saw Manoa was on Gametrailers. Then, poof--like the rest of the gang who've given up trying to promote renai to Rednecks.
gekiganwing
Posted: Sep 15 2009, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 24936

According to this (not necessarily worksafe) post on Canned Dogs -- zepy.momotato.com/2009/09/15/tokimeki-memorial-4-announced-for-psp -- there will be a Tokimemo 4, and it's planned for PSP. Time will tell on whether it might actually be on UMD, or whether it will be paid download only.

I didn't know about the Kimi no Soba ni translation group until now. Thank you, DocMui, for mentioning it.
omoikane
Posted: Sep 15 2009, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

if it's anything like love plus, i might have to buy a psp too...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Wavehawk
Posted: Sep 17 2009, 03:10 AM
Quote Post

Doubt it will be. The PSP doesn't have the interface of the DS. More likely it'll be a 'traditional' Tokimemo game which is both good and bad--good because it means Konami is doing something again with the title other than milking the old one to death, and bad because of lack of progress in the entire game structure/interface.
tsugecchi
Posted: Sep 24 2009, 04:48 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 22578

Looking at the official site it's really back to the roots. They're going back to the same school from the first Tokimemo with a very similar uniform and the two main heroines look a lot like Shiori and Hikari, too.
PMEmail PosterICQ
Yoshio
Posted: Sep 26 2009, 12:58 AM
Quote Post

Local

I like the look. I once predicted that on the holodeck of the Enterprise they'll be playing Tokimemo 75 and the main heroine will still be a redhead. So far that prediction is on track.
PMEmail Poster
Wavehawk
Posted: Sep 26 2009, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

Been looking at the official site.

It looks nice, but I've been having this little annoying voice in my head saying "Old man, old, old, OLD man..." all the way. All it's done is make me feel self-conscious of my age...
Yoshio
Posted: Sep 26 2009, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Local

If you click through to the merchandise, it looks like they've commissioned some new art for the earlier versions, e.g., this
PMEmail Poster
Wavehawk
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 12:10 AM
Quote Post

I can see it now--Olf and everyone else on the forums will say this is all my fault...

Olf: "This is all Decade's fault!"

This post has been edited by Wavehawk on Sep 29 2009, 12:15 AM
Yoshio
Posted: Oct 27 2009, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Local

Wavehawk, the stories about the closing of Geocities prompted me to pay one last visit to your shrine before it was too late. Is there a story behind the little scene you put up on the home page, or does it speak for itself?
PMEmail Poster
Wavehawk
Posted: Oct 27 2009, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Yoshio @ Oct 27 2009, 02:57 PM)
does it speak for itself?

it does.
Yoshio
Posted: Oct 27 2009, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Local

Cool! I may have been the last visitor. There was still some functionality as of this morning. But it's gone now. Good news, though: archive.org did save several versions of the shrine over the years.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Nov 11 2009, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

dom shared some tidbits on twitter yesterday, i figured to post them here--

WTF? Tokimeki Memorial 4 has TECH TREES?!: http://twitter.com/s_words/statuses/5600956907

You can specialize stats in TokiMemo 4, like becoming resistant to illness or a "God of Holidays." Oddly, this makes me want the game more: http://twitter.com/s_words/statuses/5601282014
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Wavehawk
Posted: Nov 12 2009, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (omoikane @ Nov 11 2009, 06:03 PM)
WTF? Tokimeki Memorial 4 has TECH TREES?!: http://twitter.com/s_words/statuses/5600956907

blink.gif

O-kay, this shuts up my complaints that Konami hasn't done anything really unique with the franchise of late...
Yoshio
Posted: Nov 16 2009, 03:56 AM
Quote Post

Local

Just what we needed, another reason for the Shioris of the world to reject us. "I admire how you've maxed out your stats, joined my club, gotten admitted to a top university, and learned to say just the right thing whenever we talk. But your tech tree is so primitive! Cue the consolation girl!"
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll