l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (2) All 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Still Not Fair...
Miss Wiggle
Posted: Dec 18 2006, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 33459

Wei:

Yeah, that kind of thing is why I think that there should be some sort of structure. There needs to be a set system of posting the next image, otherwise people who haven't been reading into all this will just pop up and be tossing new ref images left and right and before you know it, everyone explodes.

Trust me on the exploding part. smile.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
scallywag
Posted: Dec 18 2006, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1301

Have a list of a half dozen "upcoming images". Anyone can propose images but the thread leader (mod or otherwise) decides what gets on the short list. It's more inclusive but puts the breaks on the exploding bit.

Also people can do their homwwork in advance (yeah, right)...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Miss Wiggle
Posted: Dec 18 2006, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Addict

We could just have one person just simply start it and run it for awhile, then kind of pass the baton. It could be a casual kind of thing. Participating in this thread will also take effort and thought, which might just scare some of the more annoying n00bs away so we don't have teo worry about the thread turning stupid.

:b
Merekat
Posted: Dec 22 2006, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

just to give you a brief update, we mods like the idea, we're just figuring out the logistics and how to pull it off yet maintain our sanity. ;}

look for this class as soon as we do. ;}
PMEmail Poster
Miss Wiggle
Posted: Dec 22 2006, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Sweet. Count me in on participation. I hope you guys pull it off well.
CoreysMonster
Posted: Dec 25 2006, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 52133

Count me in as well. If you need anything, help or whatever, don't hesitate to PM me.
PMEmail Poster
Jeffu
Posted: Dec 25 2006, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33958

Can't add much aside from a 'I really like this idea' ...

Looking forward to it!
PMEmail Poster
CherryBlossom
Posted: Dec 26 2006, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 3360

I like the idea of anually analyzing/discussing Masters' artwork brewing here smile.gif And yeah, it would defo help the younger ones broaden their horizons and look at (hell, maybe even practice) types of art outside the world of Manga.

Man, I used to be one of those people, but after a kick up the butt and leaving it all I've improved loads since. Really hopin' people here will be the same too.

Will try and do my part when I can...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
kagomekeg
Posted: Dec 26 2006, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 45912

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!!!! I have only one concern, I think that it will detereorate into a "what counts as art" or "what is art supposed to accomplish" kind of debate. There are a slew of pieces that are generally accepted by all, but then you start to get into murky waters when you get into modernism and post-modernism. I think that this form of discussion will be awesome and I will throw in my two cents constantly, but I think we all need to be prepared for heated debate when we get around to artists like Motherwell and Pollock. I will greatly look forward to the start of this.
PMEmail Poster
Cobalt
Posted: May 7 2007, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 35756

I figure since this is stickied it'd be alright if I posted in it, even though it's been months... I was just wondering a little something about this "Masters' Artwork" idea, would one be able to use any medium to their liesure to attempt said recreation, or would I have to use the same/ similar mediums to what the original might be made of?
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Zaxser
Posted: May 9 2007, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

After 5 years, I finally found the place to edit my member title

Member No.: 21530

You aren't supposed to recreate the masters work- depending on how you define it, that would be simple, too-easy-with-very-little-learning-involved copying or way-too-difficult mastery of media, light, form and the like, which would take at least twenty years.

What you're supposed to is attempt the assignment given to you. The idea is that integrate one aspect of Master's work that creates/ created a truly unique "style." If it mentions media, go for it. If it doesn't, then you might still want to work in the same media, but it's not stipulated. Only work in a medium that truly lets you reach the goal you want while following the prompt. If you can learn more/ produce a better finished product/ better achieve the effect stipulated in the prompt using a certain media, use that media.

Of course, this is from a guy whose never actually submitted anything into those, so... you might want to ask somebody else. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
Althor Enchantor
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 34019

I have two issues I'd like to discuss with regards to the Art and Drawing forum.

First off, I'm finding this area to be fairly unfriendly to true newbies. Perhaps I missed something, but most of the tutorials seem to assume a certain level of artistic ability; that is to say, ANY artistic ability. Barring a single course in Technical Drawing (or as I refer to it, "Manual CAD"), I have no experience with drawing at all. While I'm certain that all the lessons in character design are very helpful to artists struggling with improving their existing skills, I'm not sure where learning process helps someone that's still having incredible difficulty drawing symmetric eyes, head-shaped heads, or hair, well, at all. If someone else hasn't done so already, I hereby submit for discussion the idea of a Remedial Art Tutorial.

Secondly, there was something I found in Merekat's Art Process Boot Camp that I would like to debate.

Oh, but lemme guess. You guys are drawing anime! Whell, that certainly negates anything Im trying to teach you. Wrong. Most of you know this, but every single really great anime artist out there has incredibly strong foundations in fine art and anatomy. They draw anime out of choice, not out of necessity. They can draw anything they want, any style they want. And they pull from all of those lessons, those tidbits of information, those rules and tips and tricks to create a simplified and exaggerated presentation of reality: I.E. anime.

While I understand your point, not everyone necessarily wishes to become a well-rounded and trained artist. As an example, when it comes to expressing myself creatively, I consider myself a writer first and last. Were I to learn to draw, it would never be more than a hobby for me, or perhaps at best the means to produce a webcomic without outside help. In the former case, a well-rounded artistic foundation is not necessary at all, and in the latter, I have my abilities as a writer to fall back on. The art would simply be a means of visually conveying inflection and exposition for my writing. Knowing how to draw passably would be necessary; knowing how to actually draw WELL would perhaps be less so.

I don't know, thoughts?
PMEmail PosterAOL
Gandhi
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 04:57 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 8998

Althor - one of the main aims of this forum is to raise people's artistic aspirations beyond mediocrity. Anyone can settle for less than they're capable of out of apathy if they so choose, and there are plenty of forums out there where they can go and do that quite happily, but the idea is that his forum is not a place to be satisfied with half measures.

It takes a certain aspect of mind a healthy unsentimental detachment and a brutal will to face criticism and respond to it, in order to push ahead. Certainly this will not be for everyone. Many will find it intimidating, but that's OK. Who wants a forum of the lowest common denominator anyway?

On the other hand things aren't *that* strict. It's not like there's some kind of draconian quality control. Granted people tend to say the same sort of things a lot but that's just the way it goes. It doesn't matter that much. If you have a certain objective for your drawing, and would like help working towards it, then you do it.
meristele
Posted: Sep 29 2007, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 57025

QUOTE (Althor Enchantor @ Sep 28 2007, 03:19 PM)
I'm finding this area to be fairly unfriendly to true newbies. Perhaps I missed something, but most of the tutorials seem to assume a certain level of artistic ability; that is to say, ANY artistic ability...I'm not sure where learning process helps someone that's still having incredible difficulty drawing symmetric eyes, head-shaped heads, or hair, well, at all. If someone else hasn't done so already, I hereby submit for discussion the idea of a Remedial Art Tutorial.

If you're interested in just starting, there's lots of advice that is helpful posted on the forum. While most of the people here live extremely busy lives, if you had just put up a thread about how or where to get started- I think there would be a lot of responses.

Mere has a link to a thread that is particularly inspirational. I haven't saved it, but here's putting out the call: Will someone please post the link in this thread if it's not here already? The four or five year thread of one person's progress, yes?

I understand your view on the remedial tutorial. It might be nice to have here except for one thing. There are so many extremely good books already out there for getting started. I'd rather recommend something that I know works well and use my limited time for improving my drawing and giving other people (hopefully) helpful nudges.

You don't even need to buy the book. Many local libraries have them. I suggest The Natural Way to Draw by Nicolaides and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Edwards.

Look at one of the books. Draw one of the exercises. Post it here. Take the critique seriously. I presume, as a writer, that you have experience taking critiques with a professional demeanor...?

On the subject of artistic mediocrity- "Good enough" is a subjective term. You are free to set it wherever you like.
PMEmail Poster
Zaxser
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

After 5 years, I finally found the place to edit my member title

Member No.: 21530

QUOTE (meristele @ Sep 29 2007, 03:33 PM)
Mere has a link to a thread that is particularly inspirational. I haven't saved it, but here's putting out the call: Will someone please post the link in this thread if it's not here already? The four or five year thread of one person's progress, yes?
PMEmail Poster
jimthegreat1012
Posted: Dec 31 2007, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 28015

Thanks Zaxser, that's the most amazing link I've ever received. I'm going to start a thread like that tomorrow. :'3
PMEmail PosterAOL
vazilization
Posted: Oct 12 2008, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

first, i'm sorry for a very bad spelling and grammar. Not yet mastering english

Basically, i got marekat points. i've been posting in a very-very-very not professional forum. when some member posting their arts, other members just give "cool" or "great" comments and that sucks coz his arts sucks and he call 'em art. And when i suggest 'em what they got to do, i socially expelld from the community. I prefer a very strict rule given by mod like how we should post a comment and how we should behave coz it's gonna make us better even it'll be painful haha. But i didn't understand bout some points. like, ego posting not allowd. what's that supposd to mean? like, could i post my artwork, and yes i want critiques and knowing how people seeing my artwork. and about homeworks, it's very helpful especially coming from someone who understand art more then we do, but like other people before me, some people don't have enough time.

This post has been edited by vazilization on Oct 12 2008, 02:04 AM
Phalmy
Posted: Dec 31 2008, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 52489

QUOTE (Zaxser @ Nov 22 2007, 05:31 PM)

That's pretty cool.

I think I've only ever posted in A&D once or twice; I'm no artist. But it looks like a fun thing to try. I couldn't churn out something every day, but weekly would be reasonable. All you Supar Artistes get to grind the Critique Axe periodically, and I learn how to draw (sort of). If there's someone who's thinking the same thing, we could treat it as a challenge, and keep an eye on one another, so that if one of us starts to slip the other(s) kick them back into gear.

Takers?
PMEmail PosterMSN
NevilleLeck
  Posted: Feb 25 2010, 03:04 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 68616

I like it. that was definitely a nuance of debate over a picture
PMEmail Poster
sandyshimp
Posted: Jun 26 2010, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 69938

Thanks for sharing the information.I have bookmarked your post and reply you soon.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jourd
Posted: Aug 8 2010, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 70421

This is good topic.. Still not fair for someone who it shows there some good abilities.
PMEmail Poster
MothMask
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73209

I'm not sure if this is really the best place to be asking a question, but I couldn't find anywhere better, so...
I want to post a couple of pictures, but when I try to make a new topic, it tells me that I'm not allowed to. I haven't done anything since joining besides setting my avatar, siggy, and such, so I doubt I've done anything against the rules. I'm sorry if there's some glaringly obvious reason that I've missed, but could anyone tell me why I can't make a new topic?

This post has been edited by MothMask on Apr 22 2011, 10:23 PM
Sajomir
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

holy crap I have a custom title?

Member No.: 18669

It's possible you need to make a couple replies and (ideally) make some thoughtful comments before making your own threads.

It's also possible there's just a time lockout. To be honest I don't know anymore :x
MothMask
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 10:36 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73209

QUOTE (Sajomir @ Apr 23 2011, 12:32 AM)
It's possible you need to make a couple replies and (ideally) make some thoughtful comments before making your own threads.

It's also possible there's just a time lockout. To be honest I don't know anymore :x

Thank you! I'll try that.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) All 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topic