l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Closed TopicStart new topic

> A Quick Guide To MT And This Forum
CountAlpicola
Posted: Jan 9 2004, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10078

If you are new to Megatokyo or to this forum, welcome! We're glad to have you here.

You probably have a number of questions about Megatokyo that you would like to have answered. So do we. But that doesn't mean we can't help each other look for answers.

If you haven't looked around this forum before, you probably should hold off on posting a new thread for a while. Get to know your way around before you start attracting too much attention to yourself. Not only will watching for a while help you fit in more easily at the beginning, it will also give you a chance to learn about the numerous traditions we have here. Besides, if you have a question you want to get answered, the odds are that someone else is already asking that question and all you need to do is see what answers are being given.

What follows are a few of the most common questions that come up on this forum and some information to help you find the answers to those questions. The reference material linked in this thread, as well as by the Megatokyo Portal is generated by the fan community. As a result, there may be (and are) errors in some of the information. If you have different conclusions than those we have reached, we would be happy to debate them.

Once again, welcome.

~~~ * ~~~

Q: What are the rules?
A:
Most of the rules in Story Discussions are identical to those listed in the MegaTokyo Forum Rules and FAQ and The Kawaii Moderators thread, which list rules and guidelines applicable in all of MegaTokyo's forums. Beyond those, there are very few additional rules to worry about. Use common sense netiquette and you should be okay. The most serious offense unique to Story Discussions is posting to the Main Discussion Thread with nothing but a "First Post!/First Page!" or "placeholder, will edit in content later" type statement; an action which warrants an immediate post deletion and week long ban.

The most common mistakes made by new members are violations of the avatar size limit and signature size limit. The Rules and FAQ thread states this in greater detail, but in short: The avatar limit is 65 KB and the forum won't display it larger than 150 × 150 pixels; combined signature image limit is 35 KB and 125 high × 600 wide.

In the course of discussion and analysis of the comics, disagreements often arise, and sometime because full fledged arguments. This is okay, but we ask that you try to keep things to a dull roar. Sometimes both sides hold their ground. It's not necessary to defeat other people's opinions or points of view. It's all in the name of furthering our understanding of the story, it's not about winning for your side. Also, please refrain from taking such debates off-topic by complaining about your opponent's style of arguing. It only makes the people involved more upset and drags things off track. If you think somebody has gone over the line, please discuss it with them via private message, or just let a moderator know.

Q: What should or should not be posted here?
A:
Story Discussions is the place for talking about a wide variety of topics related to MegaTokyo; the comic, the artist, the merchandise, and any of Fred's other works are all open for discussion. You should be aware, however, that certain topics show up on the forum repeatedly. Some are popular and people are always happy to have an opportunity to talk about them again, others have grown tiresome for the long time members. Before starting a thread, you might want to look over the recent threads, or use the forum search, to see if the question or idea you had is something that has been covered many times already. Some of the more common questions can be found on the FAQ page of the Reader's Guide. Of course, if you feel you have something new to contribute, feel free.

Many of us come here because we enjoy deep and sometimes lengthy discussion of MegaTokyo. The level of depth exhibited by some is not a requirement, but we do want to hear what you think. If you have a question, please ask it along with your own opinion or theory about what the answer is. Also, don't be disappointed if you don't get a definite answer about things that are going on in the story; we ultimately have no more information than you do.

Q: I don't understand these characters. Who are they, and what are they doing?
A:
Wikitokyo provides a comprehensive list of most of the characters in the story, along with pictures, and short biographies. The information provided there should be enough to answer most of the questions you might have. In addition, forum members frequently have characters which they have a particular interest in, often advertising their interests in their signatures. These people are excellent resources for information about the characters, or character pairings, they have an interest in.

Q: When will we get to see some of the characters or plot elements again?
A:
We will see them again when Fred believes that the plot calls for them to be seen. In the meantime, there are filks, poems, and stories written by the fan community which you may find enjoyable. There is also quite a bit of fanart floating around. If you'd like to come up with some works of your own, feel free. Any MegaTokyo related fanwork is welcomed in our Fan Works sub-forum with open arms. (Though be sure to visit the Art and Drawing forum if you want to be critiqued for improvement on your art contributions.)

Q: I don't understand what is going on with a certain strip or story arc.
A:
Each strip has a Main Discussion Thread (MDT) usually created by Piro which is generally titled "[strip number] Strip Title". Try looking through the MDTs for the strips that you are interested in. Not only will you learn a lot about those particular strips, you are also likely to gain a better understanding of the story arcs in which they exist. Remember, though, that the people here don't have access to any more knowledge than you do.

Q: If there's no Main Discussion Thread for the comic, should I start it?
A:
Generally not. Piro starts all the MDTs, or sometimes he will have Ray or Cortana do it. It may take a minute or two after the comic has been posted, please be patient. If on the rare occasion Ray and Cortana aren't around and Piro still doesn't start the thread (been known to happen with DPDs), then give it five or ten minutes to make sure no MDT is showing up, and only then will we look the other way if a non-staff forum member starts the thread.

Q: What strip did some particular event happen in?
A:
The transcript comic search engine under the comic can probably help you.

Q: What are some of these terms or references in the comic?
A:
Take a look at the notes in the Reader's Guide for the strip with the reference you want more information about.

Q: I think something is wrong with Megatokyo.
A:
Glad to hear it. That means you are able to think about what you are seeing. But before you go off complaining about what you think is wrong, make sure you have your tone under control; presentation is at least as important as actual content if you really want to be heard. Offering criticism is not a bad thing, but please, be specific about what you feel the problem is. You should also have some idea of what you would do differently to fix the problem and include that as a suggestion in your complaint. Just don't feel bad if the change never takes place, Fred has said many times that he doesn't follow the suggestions of his fans unless he comes to believe that it is the right thing to do. Also keep in mind that there may be others who are complaining and suggesting that Fred do the exact opposite of what you propose.

Q: I've noticed that Fred's comic production has slowed down an awful lot.
A:
Yes, we know. Fred knows too. And it does bother him too. But bringing this up in the forum tends to illicit a backlash from folks and things descend into a big fight with counterarguments that are just as worn and cliché as the original complaint (it's free, go read something else, blah blah etc.). So please resist doing that. Really, Fred guilt trips himself sufficiently over the slowness of the comics, hearing about it from readers is redundant enough that I'd rather just avoid the flame wars altogether. By the same token, you true believers out there, if somebody does make a post like this anyway, please do your best to ignore it, report it, and/or refer them to here.

Q: How do I hide spoilers? The SPOILER tag doesn't work.
A:
Here's one solution that works reasonably well but is a little clumsy to implement:
CODE
[QUOTE=Spoiler for Sherlock Holmes][color=gray]Moriarty doesn't really kill Holmes at Reichenbach Falls.[/color][/QUOTE]

This looks like:
QUOTE (Spoiler for Sherlock Holmes)
Moriarty doesn't really kill Holmes at Reichenbach Falls.
Both the quote and color tags are necessary; be sure they are nested properly.
To read spoiler text, highlight the quote with your mouse.

Q: Can I post screen shots, speculation, IRC logs, Duckies, and so forth from the fredarting broadcast feed or from Fred's Twitter feed?
A:
Yes, if it is in a thread specifically marked for SPOILERS.
The thread title should be generic, something like "[9999] Fredarting Preview" and the thread description must be a spoiler warning. Absolutely no spoilers or even hints in the title/description. The opening post should also have a spoiler warning as its first line. Posting preview material in the main discussion thread, or in a non-spoiler-warning thread, may result in the deletion of the post or a ban.

Anybody can start a preview thread, but do not start multiple threads on the same comic. Using the existing thread if there is one.

These threads should be lightweight and casual; save the heavy lifting for the MDT. In any event, preview threads will be closed when Fred starts the regular discussion thread, so it's not worth posting dissertations here.

Q: Duckies?
A:
Fred draws little joke sketches in the broadcast that don't make it into the final comic. They usually last for only a few seconds, and are hard to capture. They're called Duckies. No, really.

Q: What software/hardware does Fred use to draw, broadcast, listen to music, brush his teeth...?
A:
See the Fredarting FAQ. It also has instructions on using the chat service and other useful tips. Consider it incorporated by reference.

Q: Why are the people on the #fredarting IRC channel pestering Fred (and us) with so many questions answered in the FAQs?
A:
Because they're MT newbies. Justin.tv is a pretty active site and a lot of people drift through it looking for something to watch, and if they happen upon the Fredarting stream they are quite naturally curious about what they are watching. They know nothing about Megatokyo, Fred Gallagher, or Story Discussion. They haven't even read this FAQ, and shouldn't be expected to. (You can help by keeping the URL to the Fredarting FAQ handy for them.)

In other words, they're potential new fans. Be nice. Remember that not even the Marines put Drill Instructors in the recruiting stations.

Q: What's the artist's name again?
A:
Fred Gallagher. His avatar on these boards is Piro [pronounced PEE-row, not PIE-row or PEER-oh]. Most of us find it convenient to call the artist Fred, and the comic character Piro, although this convention is not universally followed.

Absolutely positively do not use the -dy nickname suffix. Fred does not like it. This will at least get your post edited, possibly deleted.

Q: Fred, would you please post the high-resolution source files for the last comic? It was great!
A:
Fred occasionally does this spontaneously, but rarely if ever responds to requests for these. He does sell 11" x 14" high resolution fine art prints through the Megagear store.

We all hope that when the last MT comic rolls out, Fred will release a DVD with the high-rez files. We wouldn't mind some additional features, either.

This post has been edited by Refugee on Aug 23 2009, 08:08 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Ray Kremer
Posted: Dec 12 2005, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

Okay, Alpicola and I added some bits to the above sticky. Nothing too drastic, really you can all just go about your business as usual. The biggest thing is that we implore you to keep your fights, when they happen, on-topic and within reason as much as possible.

- - -

I thought maybe I should put this here.
QUOTE (Piro @ Dec 29 2008, 11:58 AM)
as a personal favor, can we NOT discuss the 'age of consent in japan and elsewhere' whenever we talk about Yuki?  this has been discussed at IMMENSE LENGTH in the past.  Can't you folks deal with the very normal theme of a 15 year old girl doing what many 15 year old girls do, wanting to look attractive and nudging at the world of messing about with boys?  The 'dance' is a *dance* people, why do people insist on taking it straight to the bedroom?  Reminds me of that Monty Python bit about not going "strait to the-"

This post has been edited by Ray Kremer on Feb 27 2009, 02:46 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
CountAlpicola
Posted: Apr 22 2006, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 10078

Until the report button starts working again, if you have a thread or post you would like to report, plesae PM your reports to CountAlpicola, WyndhamHeart, or both.

Although we have been paying special attention for potential problems, and will continue to do so until the Report button starts working again, there is no guarantee that we will see everything. So please, if you want to make sure we see something, send us a PM and we'll get to it as soon as we can.

Edit: WH says hi too~ smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ray Kremer on Nov 6 2008, 03:28 PM
WyndhamHeart
Posted: Apr 29 2006, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Alpicola is prettiful <3
Group Icon

Member No.: 32898

Hey you peeps, it's been about a week since we put this up, and I haven't got a single PM about locking a thread.

Now... Alpi and I are trying the best we can, but I know that I don't have unlimited time, and I bet that Alpi doesn't either.

So please help out, pm us about threads that need our attention so we don't have to spend hours going over every single thread in here.

email address cause I accidently deleted my other post~:

wyndhamheart@gmail.com

Or hit me up on AIM~: WyndhamHeart

This post has been edited by Ray Kremer on Nov 6 2008, 03:29 PM
Ray Kremer
Posted: May 1 2006, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

If it's easier for folks than PMs, you can shoot stuff to me by e-mail at raykremer@gmail.com . That's how the reports go when they're working anyway. Just use the subject line "Reported Post" and I'll know what it is. Help us help you shut down undesirable threads as quickly as possible.

This post has been edited by Ray Kremer on Oct 7 2008, 12:20 PM
Refugee
Posted: Jul 26 2009, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Member No.: 7641

New items added for:
  • A technique for adding spoilers.
  • Commenting on material from the fredarting drawing broadcast.
Refugee
Posted: Aug 23 2009, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Member No.: 7641

New items for
  • Fred's name preferences, and
  • The non-obtainability of high resolution versions of the comics.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Closed TopicStart new topic