l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (7) All 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Character Design 101: Rogue Class Audited
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1657

I don't know what a cupie doll looks like, but I get your drift wink.gif
I only had time to work out one new design tonight, but I figured I'd try and get some feeback on this one and work on some more tommorow. On the left is the new design, on the right is the original favourite. I couldn't think of anything else to try with the boots, so I'll try more on the next ones.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Graymalkin
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 39774

The initial impression is a lot more balanced, it no longer has that extreme contrast, great smile.gif. Something bout the shirt is reminding me of the 50s though (or am I thinking about the 30s? My past-decades fashion is a bit rusty), I think it's all the pin striping and along with the white lines. It makes the character feel like she comes from an older time--- this isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

That necklace is kind of a point for me though, It's a nice design, but I'm not sure it fits. In a more frills and lace or victorian design I think you'd have no problem, but the design seems awfully Christie's for this style of little girl clothes.

Btw-- something just clicked for me about the tuft on the end of her tail. Considering she's a cat girl, it got me thinking since... well, cats don't have tufts ^__^; Well, lions do, but I think it's just the male lion if I rememer correctly.

It looks like your into the detailed value pass now, do you plan on doing anything with the boots and pants smile.gif ?
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

More 30s gangsta pinstriping than 50s I think wink.gif
I agree about the vintagey feel, I want her to feel more modern so I think I'll try to avoid the pinstripes next time.
I'm missing referances! Christie's? Agreed, once again I'm going to aim for something more modern.

You are correct! Cats and female lions do not have tufts. However! The precise breed of feline she is has no effect on the story, so I went at the tail purely from a design perspective. Since it didn't bother anyone initally, I don't think its really a problem.

Yes! I want to do something with her boots and SKIRT, but I am drawing up blanks as to what to add.
General Chaos
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 11961

user posted image
Going real slow 'cause I've been mostly working on other stuffs...
Tried to throw in some jet engines despite that I wanted it to be more of an antigrav flavor. Think the machines in the Matrix.

Stuff. sleep.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Graymalkin
Posted: Aug 6 2006, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 39774

Well you did'nt necessarily have to go with turbines, it was just the lack of anything that looked like propulsion =x though to be sure, I'm not sure how or where one would put an anti-grav matrix of sorts on the design fron this angle, especially having it be obvious what it is, it's not like many of us have seen anti gravity engines biggrin.gif.

Anyway, putting the jets where they are was a pretty clever trick. I still have problems with it (weird arms, no stabilizers or other visual vues of flight, etc), but I think you're a step closer to solving the problem now. Maybe if you had a coupling or some other detail on those engines they'd look a bit meatier, they do seem a bit shoved in there at the moment.

Chibi: it seems you have a good idea of what you want, I'm looking forward to the next installment wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Aug 9 2006, 02:49 AM
Quote Post

thank you MT:A&D

Member No.: 10433

i missed the deadline for the final, so i'm putting my final project in the rogue school thread.

Character Description:
The character is a male warrior in his late 30s. He wears a suit of heavy armor. Through a series of adventurous events, he has become the counterpart and unlikely traveling companion to the ex-mercenary woman. He is unpredictable in combat, as opposed to the ex-mercenary woman's cold precision in swordwork.

user posted image
craft user
Posted: Aug 11 2006, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 38402

Ch3353N1nj4: like the color, and the outfit. atleast you got yours done

as for me, i think i'll START the final project soon... soon as in maby next week... gwad, distraction is a bee with an ich. but i HAVE been working on a pinup rolleyes.gif but its been takeing forever!(yet again, distraction)
PMEmail PosterMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image

whoo, long time between updates sorry V_V
Here's two more designs for step 3! The left is much more bohemian, while the right one is classier. I think they're a step in the right direction for sure.

Ch3353N1nj4: Great job for finishing despite missing the deadline! I LOVE your knight design, not a thing I would change about it.
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 29 2006, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Okay, looks like nobody is here anymore >_>
Since there doesn't seem to be anymore action here I think i will post my own thread with all my steps so I can get crits on the current step and keep on with the progress. But it would be nice if people would continue on here!
Merekat
Posted: Aug 30 2006, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

well then post in here, chibi :} I'm sorry I didn't get to your critting... been busy as heck trying to ship IRL.

personally I like the left one because of the delicate butterflies. The right is a good design, but a bit too businesslike and streamlined for a cute little catgirl. it makes her look a smidge uptight :} it is a great design, but I'm not sure how closely it compliments her character.

but the details on the left with the sparkle skirt and butterflies and necklace... it all compliments her design so well. that's my two cents.

lets see some color!
PMEmail Poster
craft user
Posted: Aug 30 2006, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Chibi Muse: butterflys are cute wub.gif ... did i just say cute... anywho, i cant wait to see your finished pice.

i know i said i would also do the last step AKA all the steps again but im not that focused. that said i was enough to do a pinup...

user posted image
the first is with my character doing nothing in a detailed background
user posted image
the second, posing but still doing notheing

realy i was just trying out styles for my assassin (its to bad i wasnt in the killing feeling)

This post has been edited by craft user on Aug 30 2006, 09:09 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 30 2006, 10:06 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I just feel weird bumping a sticky is all, so I was reluctant to XD
Colour it is for the design on the left, I shall jump on it immediately!

Craft: happy.gif butterflies aren't just cute, they're ADORABLE! Thanks!

Great job on the background in the first picture! The perspective looks spot on, and the general mood is nice.

Personally I prefer the first picture to the second, the character looks more like 'herself' and less like a japanese pop princess who happens to be wearing your characters clothes.
craft user
Posted: Aug 30 2006, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Addict

blink.gif Chibi... get out.... of my... F%#@ MIND! laugh.gif cus that was my ref for the second pic, i dont like the eyes (i think thats the big problem, well when i was drawing it, it was) ill try and occupy some of this sticky space if it to big fo you sleep.gif i need to stard drawing more anyway
PMEmail PosterMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

V_V while struggling with the colour step, i realized I had missed a rather crucial element of this character design.

In the story she was originally in, the main premise focused on these magical necklaces which basically functioned as long range handcuffs (lame and a bit weak, but ah well >_>) one of which she would obviously wear. They were irremovable, so obviously it would have to be a part of her design... but the other main character would also have to wear one, so it would have to complement her design as well!

I'm rather annoyed at myself for not remembering until this late in the game >_< I didn't look at the old story very much before attempting this re-design, and went by what I remembered. Now I'm stuck as to whether I need to bother changing anything, because I may not even do anything with the story.

Struggling away with colour in the meantime, it is not my strong suit!

edit:

user posted image

Well, Thats what I have so far. Her original skin/fur colour was grey, but I like the idea of using reddish purples at a low saturation instead. I'm most happy with her skin/fur, I'm really not satisfied with the clothing colours at the moment.

This post has been edited by Chibi Muse on Sep 2 2006, 01:17 PM
danae
Posted: Sep 5 2006, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 39336

Oh, I'm way behind and just beginning--I'm so sad that I was internetless during the actual beast! But I'm excited to follow belatedly. Tonight and fiddled with steps 1 and 2.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Didn't really add very much in terms of features to the cleanup....is that bad?
Chibi Muse
Posted: Sep 6 2006, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Danae: we could use a character description, I personaly find it hard to crit the silhouette if I don't know what you're going for! Overall they look clean and well thought out. I think you could have experimented more with the hair, but I like what you've come up with.
danae
Posted: Sep 6 2006, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 39336

Woops! I skipped that part, didn't I?
She's a strong minded girl who takes care of herself--sometimes she makes her money by mercenary work, and sometimes she resorts to outright theft. She is lithe and strong and wirey, but she also tends to use her cute looks as a tool to her advantage in fights or other situations.
In the end, I actually chose the desing with the skirt more because it's not something I do very often than for any other reason; I'm experimenting. But it definately adds to her cute charm, which I think is probably her strongest weapon...
A Basic Value pass.
user posted image
And some variations on the refined value pass.
user posted image
I'm going to go with the first one, but it was fun to see what else could fill up that space. I just don't think the other two succeeded very well.

This post has been edited by danae on Sep 6 2006, 11:06 PM
Chibi Muse
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I definitely agree that the first one is the best. Maybe you could have tried some designs that were less matchy-matchy? In all of these you have exactly the same decoration on every element of the outfit, its not very believable. I think it would be better to mix up the decoration or only use it on some elements.

(Can anyone give me some crits on my above colours? I can't seem to find anything more satisfactory, its very frustrating.)
spoonifur
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Frak!

Member No.: 38562

The colors and tones seem to all go pretty good together. Maybe mix and match? Some blue clips for the purple shirt and dress, etc.

Simple is always nice, but try to mix it up a bit. :} Maybe the trim should be light, and the other parts dark?

I like what you have, and I'm glad you're keeping this thread alive, the both of you. :}
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

^_~ we will keep it alive! Even if it takes a full life support system.

Mix and match, that sounds like a good idea. Not sure which trim you mean, like the lighter parts of the shirt and skirt? I'm a bit wary of that, because it would defy my value pass. Thanks for the crits!
Merekat
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Chibi: I'm actually partial to the green and teal one on the left more than the pink on the right. With your skintone and warm fur tones, the warm colors seem overpowering on the right with not real balance of tone. with the green and teal on the left, this plays with the taupe and warm colors of the skin. I like the contrast there. I would say play up the bohemian look a bit with a hair more warm color like a gold brown or deep rich chocolate in places like the boots or the boot sole or the background of skirt or the hair or so forth. the only other thing I might do for flavor is mix up the pattern on the shirt with some varied greens. or maybe the dots on the skirt have a bit more oil slick rainbow color diversity on them. just lightly, predominately teal. I dont' know if I'm explaining myself on that well. either way, the greens and blues and somewhat purple go great with the warms of the cat. I would say add a warm chocolate some where and vary the green and you're good to go ;}

danae: excellent first run. they're clean and they're easily read. well done. I would say a bit more diversity, really. your skirt one is really the only different one there. a leg cuff or something are the most notable change. I don't mind the other silhouettes, but you really only have two here: the pants and the skirt one. anyway, good choice on the skirt. it's a clean silhouette. just push the variety more next time, you might find something you like better. I would also clean up her lower legs and feet. the anatomy is bubbling there and there aren't very clean shapes. the lower calf is particularly wide and the feet look like socks. I'd nail down what they are there more.

for your value pass, I don't really think it shows a clear direction of what the forms are. for what she is, a little sundress wouldn't be the choice of protection for a sword weilding warrior. check zack_RIs pre-final archer (his final was some guy). his value passes had great lines and functional design for the outfit, really showing how things went together. for yours, I'm not seeing the ballerina shoes or the sun dress or the shapes of your belts. those belts hold nothing on and would be very uncomfortable, particularly that torso strapping over the chest. again, check zack's... he has a shoulder garb system that is functional over a woman's chest. your warrior, by choice of items, look more like a girl playing dressup than a utilitarian design. you really have to think about what your character will be doing as well as the personality to solidly show form and design. I'd do the value pass over. but the silhouette is great. I really like that....once you fix the legs ;}

keep up the great work!
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Thanks for the crits Mere! That helps alot! Unfortunately training for my new job has eaten my life for this and next week, but I will do my best to punch out a new color scheme with the changes you suggested in the next while.
Marichan
Posted: Sep 24 2006, 11:31 PM
Quote Post

the orange one

Member No.: 17288

I have been watching this thread like a hawk since the beginning. I wanted to do it for so long, but I never had the time needed to do it. I can't resist any longer though! I know I am late, and I am entirely to blame for that (that and my professors, and the audubon institute), but regardless, here is my step one:

This character is somewhat of a piromaniac (thus the flame-throwers). She is tough, easy to tease her friends, but is still a sucker for a pretty dress on sale.
user posted image
Marichan
Posted: Sep 25 2006, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

the orange one

Member No.: 17288

my appologies for the double post.

I forgot to mention: her profession is ah.... a... trouble-making highschool student I guess you could say. Her build is strong, and she is taller than averege.

here is step two
user posted image

and the beginning of step three:
user posted image
Merekat
Posted: Sep 25 2006, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

marichan: excellent! good to see your posts.

for your first 8 silhouettes: I'm LOVING your variety and exploration with weapon silhouettes in contrast to the character as well as your experimentation with the arms and torso. I'm not seeing a lot of variety with the lower part of the body, save for the cargo pants and the skirt, but overall these have some interesting ideas and some very visual ideas. personally, I'm loving #7. I really like the cape/frock design for the top, coupled with the mechanicals of the arms and the seemingly electrofied hair. very interesting proportions and shapes you have there. very eye-catching. I also enjoy #8 and #2 for the same reasons. #8 especially because of the large solid shapes of the kimono and the pattern of the visual brace on the gun. nice contrast with that in particular. great balance.

for your refined silhouette and value pass: I know you went with #4 and I do like the gun on her. personally I think if she were in the cargo pants of #5, her features would be a bit more balanced. She feels very topheavy and uneasy on those spindily legs. personally, I'd like to see repetition of shape with the gun into the legs, and the cargo pants would take care of it, having a similar width to create a visual rhythm in contrast to the fine details of the gun and the thin arms. my two cents. :}

for your value pass: I definitely like your start with the strap idea of the torso and holster for the gun, but as is they feel rather weak and nearly painful, as if they'd cut into her chest in a very nasty way. for such a heavy gun, I would suggest not only to beef up how those arm and waist straps go, but also take a look at how the chest strap would fall across a female's chest. Right now, you've put it straight across as would work on a boy, but unless she's very petite in that area, it would actually curve upward somewhat as well as sit up higher to accommodate the breasts.

again the legs seem a little lightweight and the face she's leaning a smidge doesn't help in her case against being top-heavy. the legs also seem a bit short and the arms a bit long. if she straightened out her arms, they'd reach her knees, whereas the fingertips are usually just a bit short of halfway down the thigh and the elbows are usually between half and a fist distance up from the natural waist.

either way, excellent development of this character. I like her so far, particularly the white shirt, the gray shirt and the darker straps. I'd like to see more of the dark in the pants if you agree, once they're more cargo for I think with the darkness of the hair, they might compliment each other well. with the boots being the dark part I keep wanting to look at them because they're such a big but not too big area of that value tone. if there were more of it, it would be contrasting up against the white shirt and my eyes would raise up further. in fact, you may want to lighten the bandana to contrast against her dark hair to get attention up near her face. either way, play with the values a bit. see what you can come up with. my suggestions are just experiments for you to try out to see if you enjoy them ;}

great job so far! keep it up!

This post has been edited by Merekat on Sep 25 2006, 11:51 PM
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (7) All 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic