l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (7) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Character Design 101: Rogue Class Audited
stew_9320
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 51503

i dont know if i am alowed to post hre, but general. which part of her is suposed to be the neopreen, if it is the under suit, (knees, elbows) neopreen has very few large folds, not many medium ones
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 11961

Yeah, you can post here. It's the rogue thread, not the official, as long as it's relevant.

The undersuit is semi-neoprene. When I was coloring I decided I wanted more of the texture, rather than the foldings, so I mixed and matched. :3
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1657

user posted image
Step 3! I could try a million different things with this step, but I tried to keep it down and just made these 3. Tell me what you think! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
slipknot
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 34777

Hi there. Are newcomers to the Rogue Class permitted? smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Sure! I don't see why not, at least we'd have more people that way (since many disapeared >_> )
Cauthon
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 39675

QUOTE (slipknot @ Jul 19 2006, 08:32 PM)
Hi there. Are newcomers to the Rogue Class permitted? smile.gif

The Rogue Thread is designed so that anyone who wants to join is able to at any time. All of the steps are linked to in the first post in order to make things easy for everyone. So yeah - go ahead and check out the first assignment and show us what you can come up with!
PMEmail Poster
Graymalkin
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 03:06 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 39774

Muse, that third one is great (yea, I'm a sucker for girly clothes), but I think her top is a bit bare. Her shirt has a really soft contrast that is barely noticeable with the immediately attention-grabbing hair and pants being immediately adjacent. I would'nt go for something too gloriously contrasting, since there's something to be said about subtlety, but a shirt with a bit more interest to it might be something to expiriment with smile.gif?

PMEmail Poster
Bumboy
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 26984

old set:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/bumboy/milanti3a.jpg

user posted image

I made two more - (the second is pretty much a rehash of the last one on the previous set with elements of the second one)

I really need to hop hop or I'll be far behind the main class.
I'd like some crits/comments and some help on picking a design so I can quickly move on to the next step.

edit: posted the old set linky for easy viewing

This post has been edited by Bumboy on Jul 20 2006, 11:17 PM
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 01:58 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Ooh~ the left one is quite good, Bum Boy. Just throw a darker wrench on the lighter version, and I think you'll have a winner. :3
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 02:01 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Graymalkin: Thanks! Girly clothes rock! I tried to weasel a little gothic lolita influence into that design.
Thats exactly why I liked the far left design better, the shirt has more interest without being overwhelming like the middle one.

Bumboy: I like the left design B best, but I think the arms should be bare as in the righthand one, and the wrench should be dark. The darker coveralls just seem to make more sense in the context of the character, since coveralls get really dirty.
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 24 2006, 05:03 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Final class. We start again, with a new and opposite character for the same setting. :3

user posted image

I could just keep going with the sketch silhouettes... but I have to call it there. Now it's time for sleep.

Edit: Step 2.
Edit: Step 3.

I also got started on another pic just before I noticed this thread. Link

This post has been edited by General Chaos on Jul 24 2006, 08:40 AM
slipknot
Posted: Jul 24 2006, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 34777

Er... would I be overthinking the exercise in consulting references for the initial silhouettes?
PMEmail Poster
craft user
Posted: Jul 24 2006, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 38402

user posted image
as you notice theres no key for the cloth used because after an hour of fiddling with OC and having it look like crap i decided to show the more refined step 5 with out keys.

now step 6..................... is makeing me cry.

oh and dont mide the right hand, i know how it looks.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dionisyus
Posted: Jul 25 2006, 12:11 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 49292

Something of a hack effort; for step 3 I guess.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
spoonifur
Posted: Jul 25 2006, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Frak!

Member No.: 38562

dionisyus: It's looking okay, if you had read through some of the other posts you could see that you're not really su[posed to use lines, its more of blocks of color.
Also we tried to stay away from pure black and white. Only grays.

Also the character was supposed to be straight on. Like so: http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1714913

Try some diffrent variations of clothes.

Also try drawing it again without the lines. Like merkat. http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1714913

Also read through that thread as Merekat drops a lot of instructions while she's crituqing people.
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 26 2006, 02:33 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Craft User: Looking very good.
You seem to be under the impression OC can't do the kind of stuff you want... but that's really not true. Except for the silly number of layers I used on mine, it would have been possible to draw entirely in OC. Waterbrush for shading, then solid brush for details.

Slipnot:
You can, and should, reference every step. But keep in mind for step 1 - you shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on drawing each one. They should be really fast to go though, as you'll be throwing away upwards of 80% of them.
craft user
Posted: Jul 26 2006, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Addict

GC:i like the new character you made i keep thinking of what other person i shoud make for my protagonist but this made me think about other coises like some sort of demon monster. and yah your probably right, im not giving OC enough credit up until you said something i forgot it had a water color option all together dry.gif but i did draw it all in OC you see.
PMEmail PosterMSN
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 27 2006, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I did that Valkyrie picture a couple of weeks back entirely in OC, on two layers - one for the lineart (which I eventually removed) and the color all on the other. It's all about technique and patience.

Going slow on this.
user posted image

I just noticed that Mere requested 3 color passes. o.o Dunno if I want to do that.....
Graymalkin
Posted: Jul 28 2006, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Local

Silly GC, of course you do. You already started the final week before the official class, so don't you quit on making us look bad now smile.gif !

It took me a while to realize what on earth that thing was. After the steps 1-3 you posted above I thought i was supposed to be some overly pointy flying drone. Got a better idea of it now though... much better ^^; Great move with taking a non-humanoid character.

It's legs bug me, it seems like it would have a hard time maneuvering with single jointed legs, especially with the body set so low. I also think you could have done more with it's refined value, it does'nt look like much was changed at all =o The pistons and machine parts would be great for detail.

Colorwise looks good, I like the yellow trim. I really wish he was more complicated though. Was that a design choice? I ask because you really seemed to lavish attention on to your base character's detail.

Bumboy:

I think Chaos had a great suggestion--- I agree with the darker wrench for the left one =3 I might give his lower arms a skin tone though, if it does'nt brighten him up too much.
PMEmail Poster
craft user
Posted: Jul 28 2006, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Addict

just a note to say to GC: your F8 looks like it would be stelty at times or not whanting to draw attention to itself so useing cross colors for it makes it stand out (and look way to..... peppy?)
PMEmail PosterMSN
Merekat
Posted: Jul 28 2006, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

General: the legs I get, but what's up with that body? NO clue what's going on there. does this thing walk on those legs like a spider?
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 28 2006, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I guess it's not obvious (at all) but it's supposed to fly. (Or hover, take your pick)

I switched away from humanoid designs because I wanted a real 'terror' design, fitting for the evil AI stuff. So I went with a arachnid design... though all 8 limbs are weapons - 4 massive tearing ones (it inserts the claws, the pulls apart with powerful hydraulics), with the blades on the outside, meant more for destroying vehicles and hulls, 2 smallers ones, perfect for fleshy meatbags and a couple of guns for when it's too far to employ the claws.

I didn't actually notice how much I missed on my refined tone pass... weird. All kinds of joints and stuff were missed... Back to work. rolleyes.gif

Edit
user posted image
Hopefully that clears it up a bit.

This post has been edited by General Chaos on Jul 29 2006, 02:41 AM
Graymalkin
Posted: Jul 29 2006, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Local

A real tricky character you've got going ^^; I thought it was a flyer from the silhouette, since the legs/arms looked like wings; then a walker after the pistons and joints, now we're back to flying ^^. It's getting better, I have a couple of nitpicks though:

- The arms still bug me, single jointed arms with one plane of movement don't look like they'd be very useful. The entire robot would have to swing around in rather awkward fashion to take a swipe at something, and even then it's range and practicality would probably be limited. Unfortuneatly that's a base part of the silhouette, so much changing would have to be done if you wanted to rework the arms. Still, I really think it would result in a stronger design though...

- The main thing I think causes the flyer vs walker problem it has is it's lack of anything that makes it look like a flying object. Boosters/propellors/wings/ramjets/flapping arms... again, It would entail going back a step or two, but I think if it had obvious cues that said 'this thing flies' it would become immediately apparent it's role and the function of the arm-swords. Right now, the only reason I'd think it flies is because you're telling us =x and even then it just does'nt seem quite right hanging there.

Good luck man, I do give you kudos for going in such a radical direction.
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I agree with Graymalkin, I only came to the conclusion that it was a flyer because it didn't look like it could possibly walk or go underwater.
Merekat
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 12:41 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

general actually I still think it's just a walker. I don't see any propulsion on that guy at all.. and the legs are far too functional and positioned like legs to be anything but legs. without the obvious direction of an engine or exhaust or any technology, it's very confusion.

it also frankly looks like some voltron-like character blasting full on at the viewer with a top-down point of view. that is completely at odds with the placement of the legs, particularly the far back (below) ones.

sorry, but I really don't understand any of him except the four top legs.

bumboy I'm actually at an impasse with the designs: I could go with either A or C. I think A looks a bit more industrial and functional, which lends credibility to the character, but C (with the dot on the chest) has some interesting personality and uniqueness that puts some nice quirk to the character. I think it's a matter of preference at this point ;}

chibi I agree with Graymalkin, these are nice and clean designs but a bit too simplistic and unexplored. of the three I think I like the little sundress of the far right the best. the first looks a little too little orphan annie and the second seems like she's trying to be high-fashion new york on a cupie doll. it's a little incongruent. also, toy with the legs a bit? :} surely there's more to life than tie-up boots and knee-highs. ;}

This post has been edited by Merekat on Aug 3 2006, 12:48 AM
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (7) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic