l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (7) All « First ... 5 6 [7]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Character Design 101: Rogue Class Audited
dazephyr
Posted: Nov 13 2007, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Ok, my first post in the forums. Been following MT for some time, but just discovered this forum when I decided I finally wanted to get down to developing my stuff for my webcomic. And then I saw this thread. It looks quite quiet for some time now, but just gonna try my luck.

I'm not much of an artist, really. Just got bored of waiting for my friend to find time to illustrate for me, so might as well try my hands on doing this. I figured silhouttes would be the easiest starting point, since they don't require much detail to draw. This is like the first time I've properly sat down to draw, and first time in Photoshop too. Happen to have a tablet lying around which I use for photo-editing.

I admit, I cheated for the staffhead designs in 1,2,3, kinda just took a pix off the web and blacked it out. Too intricate for noob me. But the rest were slowly drawn through trial and error and tons of reference. Proportions are kinda off, but I figure I'll fix them in step 2 or 3, if I get that far.

A lil character description:
She's a 17 years old spirit shaman in training. Naive and idealistic in the sense that she believes strongly in justice, good and evil, but has seen a lot of deaths and wars in her life so far. She is simple, but determined, preferring a straightforward and driven way of settling things.

user posted image

I stuck with simple designs for most part to keep in character, so there are no complicated tops or fancy boots, coz I figured she'd be in a simple no frills dress and sandals or at most low boots. That kinda made it real hard for me to think of variations, actually. But I had tons of fun designing the different staffs, and some of them were pretty random. No. 8 was really when I ran out of ideas and I thought I would try something off the bat. Don't think she'll actually carry that kind of a staff. But who knows, maybe if she turns evil or something down the road.

Any comments will greatly be appreciated!! Thanks!!
millou
Posted: Nov 14 2007, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 57369

I'm a bit ashamed to submit that, even if it is my first attempt to work on a computer...
I think I'll try something else for next step ^^"

user posted image

Appart from the fact that my work is absolutely awful, it was funny to see that with one simple shape I could bring out personnalities so different.
I like all of them, but my favorite one is the first, and I think number 4 don't really match with what I want my character to be...
PMEmail Poster
Merekat
Posted: Dec 20 2007, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

I've no excuse for being a month off of crit for some of you. Well, actually I have plenty of damn good reason, but this isn't a blog, eh? Suffice to say, it's been 6 months of stress and struggle, and Randy's death was the last straw of all of it.

Anyway, moving on to crits...

meristele these are very cute designs and I think the first two work the best, being the most clear. I think these are nice designs, but technically they're not pushing any envelopes. if you want to develop this character as a bit of a lesson, I'd suggest pushing the boundaries of what the value pass could actually be within the silhouette. Just because you think the shape says it's a vest doesn't mean that's all it can be.

However, if you like this direction and this is what you envision for the character, then you're doing fine. It's cute. ;} Good work!

mitosiskain not a bad first start, but I am not seeing much experimentation with shapes of the silhouette. Take a look through the class step again and see how far you might be able to push things. Also, try to keep the shapes as clean as possible... your #10 seems to be more of a jagged version of 9 rather than a new idea. The silhouette exercise is meant to expand beyond the shapes you would normally think of. Try to get past trying to do something you've seen and just see what you can do that's new. ;} Keep it up!

dazephyr I like your shaman idea, and your concepts are clean, which really is a good habit, so keep it up. ;} but though I'm seeing some experimentation with the cloak and sleeves and sashes (I particularly lik #6), most of these have a bit of similar vibe. and largely, I would say they're all what one would expect from a concept of a shaman.

while I commend you for making something recognizable and iconic, at the same time I've always believed concepts should push the boundaries of expectations. the questions I would ask of the concept would be what could you add of shapes in the silhouette that could convey personality? how about something completely unusual that would be different but a refreshing new look at what a shaman could be? even in simple shapes, you can experiment with silhouette. try pushing the envelope a bit and see if you can get something unexpected. you may surprise yourself and add a whole new dimension to the character. ;}

millou actually I think these are pretty refreshing! I like all your experimentation with materials (the fishnet ... though that is skipping ahead a bit. ;}). however the one thing I'm seeing is a very similar interpretation in a few items. your belt, skirt/shorts and the fact she has leggings and legwarmers. I know at first glance, this may seem like the only thing to have with the silhouette, but I think you can experiment further and stretch what those shapes can do. you have some radical differences in shirt designs... the same sculpting of shapes can be achieved with the rest of the body. what if she's wearing bell bottoms? a pleated skirt? a long vest with pockets on the hips (where the shorts are)? there are so many things that can be done. ;} try at least experimenting a bit for practice's sake. see where you can push yourself and your philosophies about what makes this character.

great work so far, though. very clean and clear and a nice balance of tones. let's just work on shapes. ;}

This post has been edited by Merekat on Dec 21 2007, 02:18 AM
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1657

I'm so happy for the holidays, I've finally found time to take a break from my schoolwork and tackle some unfinished personal projects!

I decided to take a bash at the final step, creating a villain to oppose the character I created before. So far I've got step number one, here are ten of the better silhouettes, as well as a link to the rest.

These characters were created when I was 13, so thats my defence for their rather un-inventive stories (star wars much?), but that's exactly what re-inventing them will help with so there I go.

This guy is a dimension hopping bounty hunter, opposing the cute little cat girl who is my main character. He's supposed to be quick, very tall and lithe, but still strong. Maybe 30 years old. He has one lower arm/hand that is robotic, and originally wore one shoulder guard, a cape and simple straight pants.

user posted image
silhouettes

My favourite is 6 because he looks tall and skinny but still strong and imposing ,it kind of looks like a villian from astro boy. 5 is my next best. I had trouble making his asymetrical bulky hand look good, so the ones with both arms identical looked better to me.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BlakKohm
Posted: Feb 7 2008, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63168

hi, i want to do one of these if it's still an option,
just so i'm sure, would i just draw the character then trace the outline on my comp and fill with black, or do i do the whole silhouette by drawing in black lines repeatedly
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Hi BlakKohm!
It's certainly still an option, although there's no guarantee when Mere will have a chance to look at your work or whether very many people will offer crits.

DO NOT just draw the character and then fill them in black afterwards! The idea here is for you to think about the shapes of the character and the way they work together, not about drawing a detailed person.

You want to do the whole silhouette in black at once, for example I did this by working very small and using a thick sharpie, so that there is very little need to 'colour in' afterwards.

Try looking at the original step one and the crits that mere gave there as a start.

BlakKohm
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63168

okay, gotcha...

any particular paper to use, because, wouldn't a thick sharpie eat through notebook paper

edit:
are the 8 silhouettes all of the same char, or separate ideas

This post has been edited by BlakKohm on Feb 9 2008, 07:12 PM
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Feb 10 2008, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I just use sketchbook paper, it doesn't matter. *shrug* I just put something underneath so the sharpie doesn't get on the table, and they're so tiny that you're not going to be going over them enough to wear away the paper.

We started with a general idea of the character you want to design, and then tried to come up with a variety of designs that might work for them, so all 8 are the same character
danae
Posted: Feb 16 2008, 01:45 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 39336

Wow, so, er, like a year ago Merekat gave me some homework, and then I disappeared off the face of the planet. Life gets kinda crazy, right? In any case, now that things have settled down for the next...er...until my baby comes in a couple months, maybe I'll actually have time to pursue this. So I went back and tried to do my homework.
Here's a slightly modified silhouette with some repair work on the legs and feet:

user posted image

And a reworked version of the original value pass...I'm thinking I need a third really light area to balance things out, but can't quite decide where or how.

user posted image

o.O And I only just noticed how sloppy that coloring job was! Will clean it up before adding details...
EDIT:: Here is a link to the way back original silhouette since I think I broke all my earlier links by cleaning up my server space a while back, so there's nothing left to compare it to!

This post has been edited by danae on Feb 16 2008, 01:50 AM
CybaSumo
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 64291

Nice! im glad how the way you made those paint artworks into 3D, isn't that hard to do!? i mean... is it possible if i can do that in adobe photoshop too!?
PMEmail Poster
AddaLoT
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 31219

Always wanted to try this.

10 shots at a beastmaster (not dominator).
A character living in nature, trusting more in animals than humans, with friendship, respect and loyalty being keywords in their relationship. Nasty melee fighter, not playing by the rules of civilization. Clothing homemade by scraps, trophies, leather or bits from the adventurer who took 3rd watch that one dreadfull night.

user posted image

I hope this is still sorta open - Don't expect anything from a project this old though.

This post has been edited by AddaLoT on Jul 7 2008, 04:56 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Addalot: I think these are too focused on the small details for your first step. You should be focusing only on the really basic silhouette, and I think these are all pretty similar. Try putting bulk in different places, like heavier boots, or bigger sleeves, or big hair. I think D and F are the ones that are the most different from all the others. Ignore all the little bits and accessories for now, just focus on simple shapes.
5c0u7s
Posted: Sep 22 2008, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

General Chaos; earlier you mentioned that you wanted to chang3 t3h high7 of t3h h34d, 4nd t3h prop0rti0ns of the shoulders. I'm very glad you didn't, because yes, the shoulders did look big, but that was the armor stickin out. also, how long did it take you total to do this? it's amazing!!
WretchedMoose
Posted: Jul 23 2009, 11:57 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 67288

Disregard this unnecessary comment and focus your direction downward.

This post has been edited by WretchedMoose on Jul 24 2009, 12:01 AM
PMEmail Poster
WretchedMoose
Posted: Jul 23 2009, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 67288

So I'm basically set on getting into video game concept art. Video Games have been a passion for me for years, and a few years ago I realized that designing video games is exactly what I want to be doing with my life. So, along with posting some art, I'd like to ask some questions about getting into concept art.

Questions::

1) I've noticed that on every "Job Applications" section of video game companies, there is a requirement for having a few years of experience in the field. Now, my question is, is this experience supposed to be in Conceptual Art for other companies, or in illustration in general? If the former, how can I acquire said experience, aside from internships in college?

2) What would you suggest I major in if I want to become a concept artist? I'm under the assumption that the main focus is Illustration, but I was curious if there was anything else that was necessary?

3) What's it like working for Valve? Or, more specifically, what is the working environment like for Concept Artists?

And now, Art

user posted image

^This one is some conceptual art for God knows what.

user posted image

^Aaaaand here's a finished work. Kind of unhappy with it, but what can you do?

So, critique would be lovely, especially if you could give me a sort of estimate of where I am in terms of skill and ability?

This post has been edited by WretchedMoose on Jul 24 2009, 12:08 AM
PMEmail Poster
Xmuffin
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 63222

Heres my try of a peasant.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Jan 29 2010, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

thank you MT:A&D

Member No.: 10433

wow. this thread seems like it's been derelict for a while.

i figured i'd stop by this thread and pay my respects. how time has passed.
i'll never forget this character design 101 course. invaluable process and learning experience.

i was digging up some drawings and illustrations i had done for a presentation about myself for one of my game design classes (to show the class what i can bring to the table) and i remembered the character sheets i had made for the char design 101 class...

good times.
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Mar 24 2011, 12:39 AM
Quote Post

and another year gone by...
i've come to put some flowers on the gravestone of this dead thread.

it is senior year at university for me, and in my figure painting class i've chosen to do some character concept art/design for my final paintings---

my first reaction was thinking about are stuff that i first learned here:
language of shapes/silhouette and how that communicates the character
materials research for accurate representation of material textures...
the value pass...

these things i've applied to vehicle design too!
Miss Wiggle
Posted: Dec 1 2012, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 33459

Thread may be dead, but I still use it. I'm art lead for a video game and have used this process as a model for their character development. I have a team of talented artists, but they haven't worked on games. It's helped immensely. Thanks for putting this up mere; it may be old, it may be dead, but it's still useful. I've actually used the same process for logo development at my graphic design job. :3
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Dec 3 2012, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

it may be old, it may be dead, but it's still useful.

Amen to that
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: May 13 2013, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

well, Merekat re-did her website and now all the image links in the original tutorial are broken sad.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (7) All « First ... 5 6 [7]  Reply to this topicStart new topic