l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (7) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Character Design 101: Rogue Class Audited
Merekat
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 03:09 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

I am so very proud of this class. In many ways, more than the official class. Because here you guys were, doing what the whole class was intended to inspire: taking the initiative to learn a new process to improve your work. And you guys did, without any official guidance or critique. With FLYING colors.

In fact, it was VERY difficult for me to resist the urge to come in here and comment on all the great designs. You guys really took the lessons to heart, tried your best, supported each other and produced beautiful designs that would be a gem in any portfolio.

Due to some disruptive behavior in the original Rogue Class thread, I've decided to lock that one and open a new one, with a bit of an added bonus... I will be now posting here to some extent. And so will FJ, his still being the deputy teacher and overall guy in charge. I will not be issuing grades, I will not be critiquing everything that is posted here. I will not be applying deadlines as there is in the main official class. What I will do, is if you have any particular questions that need answering that you think will benefit everyone, I will answer. If I see a posted drawing that could use a quick comment, I will do so. If I see great work posted, I will reaffirm it. If I see something that needs effort, we'll see how much time I have.

I am still fully and utterly committed to completing the eight-week main class. So you will only get whatever leftover attention and energy I have, but you will finally be getting it. You guys have been far too creative, far too attentive and shown far too much initiative to let one person stop all this learning. Well done and keep posting!

Original Rogue Thread: Here

emot-eng101.gif Step One of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif Step Two of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif Step Three of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif Step Four of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif Step Five of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif The Final of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

emot-eng101.gif The Final Grades of Merekat's Character Design school can be found here.

This post has been edited by Merekat on Mar 3 2008, 07:39 PM
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 11961

Thanks for the new thread, Mere. happy.gif

It think I've raced ahead with detail, but I can't bring myself to kill any of it. sleep.gif

user posted imageuser posted image
The red stripe was a last minute kind of idea, but I think it works really well. I almost went for the classic red and blue... but I don't think it would have worked with the saturation I wanted for the main section of the armor. Pink or super light blue? Nah.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Cauthon
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 39675

Iím sorry I did not pay more attention to the Rogue Thread. Right after its creation I found out that I would have a lot less spare time this summer than I had at first anticipated, which in turn resulted in me having to put this whole project on ice. This is also why I havenít uploaded anything else to the site lately.

So what will happen to the old thread now then? Will it just drop back into obscurity?
PMEmail Poster
Merekat
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

aye. I've linked it in the first post here, but aside from going in and individually nipping problem areas, I thought this would be the best solution. It was a clean, fresh start and it gets its own place in sticky form. I thought it a quick and clean alternative than dealiing with a thread that had so much arguement in it. If there were any new or casual readers, I was afraid it would scare them off.

the old thread is fully accessible from the link at the top of this thread. I'm not deleting it. I'm not altering it. But to be a very visual message to those who might have been pushed away from the thread, I created this new one to encourage posting again.

This post has been edited by Merekat on Jul 10 2006, 11:49 AM
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1657

Yay! I'm running a bit behind, *coughsteptwocough* but now I'm less busy and should be able to catch up quickly. I'll be posting my step two right away, and as soon as I get some crits on that I'll move up to step 3 ^_-;
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Merekat
Posted: Jul 11 2006, 11:38 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

chaos nice character. :} that codpiece looks evil, though... like a reverse weggie. any way to meat that puppy up a bit? as for the details, I like what you're doing for some of it. particularly the stripes on the shoulder garb are a nice touch, as are the tones on the thighpiece. I have NO clue what that crossed thing on her upper clavical is... best guess: a grenade? I dunno, the cross latch seems a little... low tech for her character designn. otherwise, you're doing well. oh... what's up with the handpuppet eyes on the glove? :}

as for your color version, excellent choices. I LOVE the cream against the chocolate and latte and the dull red pulls that altogether completely. the gloves, being another variation compliments it well too. the only issue is the pack on the hip seems VERY out of place, it being the only version of gray on the entire outfit. maybe match the gloves? great job overall. very nice work and I'm crazy about that color pallet.

rogues
alright, drama's over. :} don't be shy. you guys had a lot of great designs I saw there. c'mon in! the water's fine!

promise I won't bite.

much. ;}
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 05:46 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image

New hipbag color. If grey was bad for it, you should have seen the awful pink color which went on to being with. That didn't stay for long. sleep.gif
The shoulder harness is for a knife. You're right about the lack of it being modern looking, and I don't feel my changes made much of a difference. Maybe if the scabbard is actually incorporated into the armor...
Reverse wedgie removed. Once again groin armor beats me. "Looks OK" "Is practical" "does what it's supposed to" are all phrases that usually don't make it into the same sentance when talking about groin armor. ;_;
Removed those nasty clips... she was meant to have old-looking gloves, but it really wasn't working, which is how they went missing in the color.

Where is everyone else? I'm all alone... sad.gif

Edit: My hosting seems to be iffy at the moment. If the image doesn't appear just refresh. >_>

This post has been edited by General Chaos on Jul 12 2006, 05:49 AM
spoonifur
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Frak!

Member No.: 38562

Oh general chaos, you're all alone. ):
Way weird, everybody dissapeard.

About your design, I really love it, you've done an excellent job.

One nitpick: The bottom of her boots, the inside of the red area, the light brown? The dark colors around it are making it look really white, and it's standing out too much. I'm suggesting to grab the color of the gloves and bag and putting it there. Or at least trying it to see if it works.

(Erk. I gave up on the rouge class along time ago....Step 1 I belive. It's way out there for me, I just really couldn't do it. I love watching the others work, and I like adding little critques. Which is kind of hypocritical... Bleh. I can think, I just can't apply. )

I'm awaiting the return of well...Everyone else. :}

Edit: heh. 700th post. happy.gif

This post has been edited by spoonifur on Jul 12 2006, 08:39 PM
PMEmail Poster
craft user
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 38402

i wont be posting untill i get ahold of PS because theres no way in hell im doing anything but hitting the fill button for this last part

luckly my friend has PS and i have my final B&W sloh done.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Bumboy
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 26984

eek. been really busy with work n schtuff

I'm still on step 3, but I'll try n catch up with the real class.
user posted image
got carried away with 2 of the bandana thingys

I'm having a hard time designing clothes due to the silhouette itself. This silhouette almost implies that shes wearing a rolled up shirt and someway baggy pants. I can't seem to image it any other way. Suggestions are always welcome.

edit: I'll prolly have a few more designs later.

This post has been edited by Bumboy on Jul 12 2006, 10:45 PM
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Bumboy: I Love the top right design, but its a bit run of the mill, I think it would look cooler with the plaid bandana from your first design, to spice it up, and maybe the name tag from the first too.
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 12 2006, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Bumboy: Same. Top right design is the best basis, though a little plain.
I'd say add the goggles from bottom left, and a belt or two. But whatever. Just choose your favorite bits and combine them in to one super silhouette.
Merekat
Posted: Jul 13 2006, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

general aye, groin is better, still a little sharp at the bottom there... bit of a labial split. ;} if you're going to protect it, has to encompass the pelvic bone a bit better. colors are still good. fastener on knife... weird. I dunno. maybe redesign that section? perhaps it slips into an indent groove in the red shape rather than is a strapped on compartment? and I seem to want a belt buckle, but that just might be me and old habits. more of a preference, really. try it or no.

bumboy aye, I like the two on the right as well. but the top right is very cliche. perhaps see what you can do with both of them to spice them up? of the two, I prefer the bottom right for uniqueness, but the top right for impact. I think it's the contrast.

and if you're set on doing some different designs, perhaps the rolls on the pants are the clasps and folds of boots and the pants are tucked inside. or the rolled sleeves are actually elbow guards and the sleeve actually is full length into the glove. hell, the roll of the glove can be bracelets or something and they're actually cutoff biker gloves. there's ways around it. :} just have to open to the possibilities.

PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 13 2006, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image

"Metal wedge!" shouts her shipmate, performing one of the meanest manuevers, then running off giggling.
"Aw frak. That's not coming out all day. ;_;"

Darkened the insides of the hard part of her boots... put detail on the buckle of her main belt so it actually looks like a belt buckle... Put her knife into the shoulder area... gave her some lights... thickened her groin guard just a little more. And smoothed it.
Then I notice what's wrong with the lengthening straps on the hangy belt - They're not perspectived when they should be. Bah.
craft user
Posted: Jul 14 2006, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Addict

finaly got over to my friends so i colored my stuff

user posted image

its ok, i realy didnt know what color i wanted itso if there are any better color ideas i would love to have them.

EDIT: ok so.... iv seem to miss a step here the dart where i detail and its a part iv wanted to do for awile so now that i have these colors i think it will be easier to go back over in Oc. hopefully have it up soon.

This post has been edited by craft user on Jul 14 2006, 08:33 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Merekat
Posted: Jul 15 2006, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

general chaos works for me. my only crit is though I like the lights, I think the color isn't as complimentary as it could be. the golds are making the green look sickly. I'd suggest a blue, purple or yellow. otherwise, good to go ;}

craft user oh very unique. I like it. the one issue to me is the taupe... though I like that cream color, it seems a little weak for the delicacy of the other colors. what about putting a gradient of that peach onto it from the lower left to the upper right or so? I like the idea of the taupe, but it's just not holding it's own right now. it's not playing nice, I think. trying to be a polka beat at a bluegrass festival. :}

This post has been edited by Merekat on Jul 15 2006, 12:33 PM
PMEmail Poster
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 15 2006, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image

Okay, Here is my step 2 >_>
Very sorry to submit it so far behind everyone! I'm finding the design a bit simple at the moment, but overall I like it.
The one thing thats bugging me is that she looks like she's hunching up her shoulders, not sure how to resolve that without changing the sleeve shape.
Bumboy
Posted: Jul 15 2006, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 26984

if you give her a longer neck, it should solve that problem
or have the shoulder pads(?) slope down rather than up like u have them now

eek saturday already
work sucksssss
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 17 2006, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image
I wish I could keep going, but I'm so tired I'd just make mistakes. More tomorrow.

Chibimuse: Her head looks like it needs to be higher, and her shoulders are very broad for a female. Tail also looks like it comes from off-centre.
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 17 2006, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Fixed her qaurterback shoulders and put the tail in its place, in my above post. I'm going to move on to step 3 in the interest of catching up, but if I get anymore crits I'll try to change it.
craft user
Posted: Jul 18 2006, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Addict

user posted image
well i did this part but how in the hell am i going to get the textures on there useing Open Canvas! I can resize anything in it, i cant change anything to a gryscale so it dosent mess with the colors so ill probably have to go to my friends again to use his PS dry.gif

man i must have checked this site 10 times yesterday wacko.gif
PMEmail PosterMSN
Chibi Muse
Posted: Jul 18 2006, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Quick crits!

Craft User: I loooove the colours of yours! Alot of peoples designs are more agressive and geared towards battle, but yours is so delicate and feminine without being a frilly design. I especially love the boots (socks?). I can't remember your description, or else I would give some further crits.

General Chaos: Wow, the shading makes a big difference on yours, now I can tell which pieces stand forward and the dimensions of everything really well.
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 18 2006, 10:48 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

user posted image
OMG. Took so long to get this far. ^^;;

Craft User:
More contrast! Your lights are light enough, but your shadows need to be darker - up to about 90% grey.
Merekat
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

general well, you've certainly been having fun. ;} I'm impressed. beautiful lighting on the armor parts. I especially enjoy your shadows. other than I don't think the folds wrinkle across knees like that, I have nothing to add. :} did you enjoy this?

craft user don't worry about the textures so much. if you want to play with textured brushes, that's one thing. but the point of the lesson is research into the materials (image gathering) and having fun fleshing out your character in lighting and such. if you just want to hand paint it all, that's fine. but the thought into the materials is the important part.

as for your character so far, it looks good. :} I would push the shadows aspect tho, she's still a little flat and I know you have more in you. ;}

chibi cat girl is great! I don't have any suggestions. start working on the value passes. :} can't wait to see!

This post has been edited by Merekat on Jul 19 2006, 01:26 AM
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

I had a bit of trouble with the knees. because I knew I wanted both above and below would be solid, or at least stiff. That and I should have used a ref. >_>

But yeah. Tons of fun. I'm considering starting another one. :3

Edit:
I couldn't stand leaving her face and hair un-done.
user posted image

This post has been edited by General Chaos on Jul 19 2006, 07:48 AM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (7) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic