l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (3) All [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> What Are You Currently Reading?, as in fiction or poetry
superaction80
Posted: Apr 16 2010, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 67493

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I think this is reading number four for me. Still freaking brilliant. The first time I read it, I just picked it up off a display at Borders. I saw Generation X next to it and since I'd liked that book, I picked up SC. I started it waiting for one of the baristas to get off for lunch. When we were done eating and she was back at work, I took it up to the front counter and bought it. After taking it home, I stayed up until 2 am finishing it.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Black Kitty
Posted: Apr 16 2010, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Roundcat McLOLcat

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 665

I'm re-reading 'da Kink in my hair by Trey Anthony for work. Re-reading it because I read it first to preview it and now I'm reading it out loud to students.

I watched the play a few years ago and personally I think this is a play that's better seen than read. This is especially true for the stage directions where there are chants, songs, and dances that sound less impressive on paper. It's still a nice play but if I would choose stage over book any day.

Fun moment: So I just started reading the play to students yesterday and the play is about the experiences of Black women. One of the characters use sexual metaphors or sexual language while describing her own experience. It never completely occurred to me until mid-way through the reading how awkward it would be to have your teacher read out passages about "love dripping between my thigh" and "loving the roundness of my butt".

For fun I recently read Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop. I've always enjoyed her Black Jewel series and this one didn't disappoint me. Nice and steady type of fantasy series. I think I got more out of it though because I've read the previous books in the series so really I'm just revisiting characters that are already established.
steuben
Posted: Apr 27 2010, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 50697

once i can find it in my library, inferno by niven and pournelle, and then rereading escape from hell... not that i was thrilled with that ending. just means i guess i'll have to hunt up a copy of the vatican 2.
PMEmail Poster
Pantene Pro-V
Posted: Apr 27 2010, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 69225

Just finished Anne, Between the States it was entertaining and educational. Historical books about wars always melt my heart. Nothing would get your priorities straight like being in the middle of a war.

Was a little confused for awhile because on the cover she has brown hair, the book always refers to her red hair. X-X

There's this scene at the end where she forces her brother to dance. I couldn't help but bawl my eyes out.

I badly want to read Stardust next, because the movie was splendid.

I saw the first movie of Twilight, and it was pretty good. So was going to read the book, but everyone warned that if you read the book you won't like Bella anymore.
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: Apr 29 2010, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 64248

Re-reading a collection of short stories by J. G. Ballard, The Atrocity Exibition.

Has one of my favorite named stories in it - "Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan" biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
magsaysay
Posted: May 1 2010, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 49496

Currently reading (for the third time...because they're awesome like that) Way of the Shadows, which is the first book in the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Some of the best fantasy I've read in a long time.
PMEmail Poster
superaction80
Posted: May 10 2010, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 67493

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

2nd person. This should be interesting.

This post has been edited by superaction80 on May 10 2010, 08:45 AM
Amastre
Posted: May 17 2010, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 66024

Currently reading through Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and The Wind in the Door. I love these four, mostly since they leave me feeling nostalgic. It is always a pleasure to go back to old favorites and re-read them.
PM
Manual
Posted: May 17 2010, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 7815

Have re read all five books in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, in anticipation for the sixth book being released soon.

This post has been edited by Manual on May 17 2010, 03:51 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Rouxinol
Posted: May 18 2010, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 35514

I was recently on vacation which allowed me to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (in the original) and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Now however, school is back on, so I'm reading The Political Systems of EU by Jonas Tallberg.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
TDL
Posted: Jun 19 2010, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69880

Currently I have a pile of manga to read, Nadesico, Van Von Hunter (3 volumes), Chrno Crusade (2 volumes), Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch all of which I'll end up reviewing on my website.

And there is also the novel Red Phoenix that I'm reading, the Big Sleep and the Penguin History of Modern China as well. So quite a bit to keep me occupied.

Cheers
Tom
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
DarkBlack-Chan
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 70018

...I Don't Know Exactly WHAT I'm Reading Anymore. I've Been Reading Artemis Fowl, Bleach,Detective Conan, Ranma 1/2, Megatokyo (Catching Up), Applegeeks (Starting Over After Long Pause), And A Few More Series On Mangable. Along With Rereading A Few Books I Own And Reading A Few Books I've Owned For A While But Never Opened Except For The Occasional Binding Check To See If Anything Is Apart Again.
I DO TAKE CARE OF MY BOOKS. Their All Old Or Cheap. I Also Open Them To Fix The Covers Of Paperback Books.......

I Do Read A Bit At A Time And Read Pretty Fast On A Good Day. (Slow On A Bad Day. Their Is No In Between.)
PMEmail Poster
DarkBlack-Chan
Posted: Aug 5 2010, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 70018

UPDATE TO LAST POST:
I Have Caught Up With Megatokyo... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
crosis101
Posted: Aug 6 2010, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Dignity and an empty sack is worth a sack. Rule of Acq. #109

Member No.: 10820

Reading The Windup Girl.

About an American Calorie Man and a Japanese Windup in Thailand after Oil. HARD Science fiction. Go pick it up now.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
P00kers
Posted: Aug 6 2010, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 70411

currently reading the Chronicles of Black Company by Glen Cook.

Great read so far and anyone who is down for mercenary lord of the rings type stuff this is it smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
P00kers
Posted: Aug 6 2010, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 70411

internet goof.

accidental second post

This post has been edited by P00kers on Aug 6 2010, 07:27 PM
PMEmail Poster
TDL
Posted: Aug 16 2010, 02:07 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69880

Finished all that manga I mentioned, now onto rereading The Force Unleashed after finishing Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth. Also reading Tom Clancy: Fighter Wing and looking to start a book called Death and the Devil by an award winning German sci fi novelist. And then their the volumes of Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist I have on order and am patiently waiting to turn up on my doorstep...

I'm glad there's a surfeit of stuff for me to read, a while back the reading landscape was as barren as the Gobi Desert...

Cheers
Tom
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
steuben
Posted: Aug 16 2010, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

in the stormy red sky by david drake. after having finished the discworld companion.
PMEmail Poster
Rubix41
Posted: Aug 19 2010, 02:57 AM
Quote Post

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more...

Member No.: 8941

I am reading Sharpe. (That's why I am not always here tongue.gif )

EDIT: HOLY S***, is that a post from Manual!?

This post has been edited by Rubix41 on Aug 19 2010, 02:57 AM
Manual
Posted: Aug 20 2010, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 7815

QUOTE (Manual @ May 17 2010, 04:51 PM)
Have re read all five books in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, in anticipation for the sixth book being released soon.

Have read said sixth book in the series, and was sorely disappointed. Not because the series is over, but rather...

Part of the charm of these books is the vivid adventure inherent in the well designed characters traveling through the world in that historical period...with dragons. And in this last book, they also experience such traveling...unfortunately its through the wastelands of Australia, and its a boring trip. Previous excursions include traveling from China to Turkey via the old silk roads; Traveling through the Germanic countryside with Napoleon hot on their heals; traveling through the wilderness of Africa. This journey was, by comparison...dull. Sad to see the series end this way.

And yes Rubix, I still live. wink.gif
PMEmail PosterAOL
Rubix41
Posted: Aug 21 2010, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more...

Member No.: 8941

And yes Rubix, I still live. wink.gif

Aww, dude, where have you been? The last time I came here there wasn't a single soul here from the old days. I did quit coming here long ago but the draw here is still glowing...
Mayenla
Posted: Aug 22 2010, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63215

The Wheel of Time - New Spring.

Reading the series again (I only just finished my first run through about 2 weeks ago). Can't wait for Towers of Midnight this November!

Mayenla
PMEmail Poster
susanwell
Posted: Aug 26 2010, 02:18 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Banned
Member No.: 70594

re-reading some short stories,also The Windup Girl.
PMEmail Poster
steuben
Posted: Aug 26 2010, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

umm megatokyo volume 6
PMEmail Poster
damathacus
Posted: Aug 31 2010, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Master Wordsmith

Member No.: 629

Just finished Flood by Stephen Baxter last night, and Hiroshima by John Hersey the other day. Not sure what I'm going to pick up next -- I've been putting off finishing Plato's Republic for awhile now, but I have a feeling it will wait a bit longer yet.
PMEmail Poster
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) All [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic